View Full Version : [PLEASE HELP] Winner of Strikeforce HW Tournament vs UFC Champ?

photomane
09-11-2011, 10:44 PM
Barnett and Cormeia vs Cain?

shadeyfizzle
09-12-2011, 01:29 AM
Neither would stand a chance vs cain right now. Both would fit in nicely in the mix of ufc heavyweight contenders. I could see cormea being a serious threat a few fights down the line even if he loses to barnett. He should avoid brock lesnar at all costs though.

Money Shot
09-12-2011, 09:40 AM
What a joke MMA is if the best they can come up with is a fat little man like Cormier and Barnett. They are bums.

dan_cov
09-12-2011, 10:21 AM
What a joke MMA is if the best they can come up with is a fat little man like Cormier and Barnett. They are bums.

I wouldn't say either was bums let alone Josh Barnett.

Clegg
09-12-2011, 10:44 AM
Neither would stand a chance vs cain right now. Both would fit in nicely in the mix of ufc heavyweight contenders. I could see cormea being a serious threat a few fights down the line even if he loses to barnett. He should avoid brock lesnar at all costs though.

I'm not sure that Brock has any advantage over Cormier at all. DC is a better wrestler and has better stand-up. Brock is bigger but he was bigger than Cain and that didn't help him.

SLIMY RAT
09-12-2011, 01:11 PM
JDS/Cain destroy them..

Brock/Overeem/Mir probably would aswell

Marchegiano
09-12-2011, 02:48 PM
****ing idiots..can't watch a skill set for **** can you? WTF does Brock have for Danny? Muscle. I know I'm just repeating Clegg....but my ****. How the **** are you gonna read that and still post "oh I think Brock could beat him"?

As far as these guys being fat. Notice the type of fat they are. undoubtedly that weird fit-fat. you can see the muscles underneath the fat....They're wrestlers, both better than Brock, They use their bellys to an advantage. This BS that fat guys cant fight is bull ****...you can breathe under, push, and pull a hardened body much easier than a flabby one. Just ****ing think about what they do. They don't need to be hard fit. Besides that Danny and Josh are both shaped like turn of the century strong men. The strongest type of men.

shadeyfizzle
09-12-2011, 10:24 PM
I'm not sure that Brock has any advantage over Cormier at all. DC is a better wrestler and has better stand-up. Brock is bigger but he was bigger than Cain and that didn't help him.
Brock is much much bigger but with the quickness of a lightweight. He wouldnt last a minute standing up with cormea but I could easily see lesnar tying up and leaning on him against the cage and wearing him out.

Virgil Caine
09-12-2011, 10:33 PM
Cormier would destroy Lesnar, and Barnett probably would as well. Barnett matches up well with any HW in the UFC. Against Velasquez or JDS, it would be a close match up, but Barnett's experience would likely be enough to carry the day.

Cormier is still a developing up and coming fighter. Kind of like JDS and Cain. Nobody knows who'd win, but the 4 of them would all match up very well together. As for Overeem, at this moment I'd probably favor him over any one of these guys.

Spazz
09-13-2011, 02:35 AM
Ive learned long ago not to hype a fighter based on one good performance over a marginal opponent. Silva was ****. Betating Fedor means nothing at this point, hes as shot as Roy Jones. His barely beat Arlovski and lost against Werdum. He wal also put on queer street by a LHW. Just too damn slow and lumbering.

Although I like Cormier and think he is a fantastic wrestler. His striking is being a little bit overrated and I think his size may be a hindrance to him against much of the opposition. He also needs to lean up a bit.

Virgil Caine
09-13-2011, 11:18 AM
Ive learned long ago not to hype a fighter based on one good performance over a marginal opponent. Silva was ****. Betating Fedor means nothing at this point, hes as shot as Roy Jones. His barely beat Arlovski and lost against Werdum. He wal also put on queer street by a LHW. Just too damn slow and lumbering.

Although I like Cormier and think he is a fantastic wrestler. His striking is being a little bit overrated and I think his size may be a hindrance to him against much of the opposition. He also needs to lean up a bit.
No one is overhyping him, or at least I am certainly not. It isn't a case of one good performance, it is a case of his rate of progression. He's improved markedly each fight, and the Silva fight was a huge step up in class, and he absolutely destroyed Silva.

Also, it isn't so much the point of his striking. It is the fact that he has picked up striking so quickly. Cormier is a worldclass wrestler. He is literally one of the best wrestlers to ever enter MMA. Therefore, his striking progression makes him especially dangerous, given his takedown and ground skills.

SLIMY RAT
09-13-2011, 12:00 PM
He won't fight his buddy Cain anyway.. If he goes to UFC will probably fight at lhw. This forum is full of ****in UFC haters anyway.. With Overeem in the UFC now... the UFC now contains easily the top 4 active HW

Virgil Caine
09-13-2011, 12:11 PM
He won't fight his buddy Cain anyway.. If he goes to UFC will probably fight at lhw. This forum is full of ****in UFC haters anyway.. With Overeem in the UFC now... the UFC now contains easily the top 4 active HW
Just shut the **** up already. Nobody cares.

They will fight.

Top 4? Who are they? You must be including Brock Lesnar. Go stick it up your ass, where such **** belongs.

SLIMY RAT
09-13-2011, 12:32 PM
Just shut the **** up already. Nobody cares.

They will fight.

Top 4? Who are they? You must be including Brock Lesnar. Go stick it up your ass, where such **** belongs.

**** you you stupid little ***git...

The top 3 is clearly Cain, JDS, Reem and then you could put any of Brock, Mir, Carwin after Werdum

Virgil Caine
09-13-2011, 12:43 PM
**** you you stupid little ***git...

The top 3 is clearly Cain, JDS, Reem and then you could put any of Brock, Mir, Carwin after Werdum
I agree with Reem being there. The other two, you can make a good case for. You said top 4 are in UFC, who was number 4? **** Chestner? I'm pretty sure that is who you meant.

Virgil Caine
09-13-2011, 12:47 PM
I just realized you said Brock, Mir, or Carwin are #4. What a stupid comment.

I would put Barnett in, but Werdum is also above all 3 of them.

SLIMY RAT
09-13-2011, 12:55 PM
In my original post what i meant to say is that UFC have 4 of the top 5 HW right now.. Werdum would be 4th on the list.. you can take your pick from the rest as too who would be n5.

MechaGodzilla
09-13-2011, 07:28 PM
Cormier is the black Fedor....

blaze778
09-13-2011, 07:47 PM
Cormier is the black Fedor....

Fedor Emelianegro

Wish I can take credit for making that up, but it was on wikipedia.

Spazz
09-13-2011, 10:58 PM
No one is overhyping him, or at least I am certainly not. It isn't a case of one good performance, it is a case of his rate of progression. He's improved markedly each fight, and the Silva fight was a huge step up in class, and he absolutely destroyed Silva.

Also, it isn't so much the point of his striking. It is the fact that he has picked up striking so quickly. Cormier is a worldclass wrestler. He is literally one of the best wrestlers to ever enter MMA. Therefore, his striking progression makes him especially dangerous, given his takedown and ground skills.

I really think Silvas combination of big head, no defense, and slothlike speed made Cormiers striking look a lot better than it really is.

Clegg
09-14-2011, 04:19 AM
I really think Silvas combination of big head, no defense, and slothlike speed made Cormiers striking look a lot better than it really is.

Could be. But he easily destroyed someone who he was expected to lose to, and he did it using an approach that didn't favour his base style. We shouldn't rush to proclaim him a future great or anything, but it is pretty impressive.

Marchegiano
09-15-2011, 09:49 AM

To an extent of course, but that's not what was impressive. Watch the boy come up. You'll see the biggest jump is with Bigfoot. He's always an excellent wrestler, but his striking been developing greatly. Of course no one's saying he's a great striker, just that he's a vastly improved striker. Same can't be said for Brock. I don't feel like Danny's even ready for Roy Nelson let alone the upper tier of the UFC. I just think Brock himself has nothing for Daniel, and with his beating of Antonio he's earned a spot in the top ten outside the UFC.

$BloodyNate$
09-15-2011, 06:42 PM
I would say so if Overeem would have stayed in it. Really Barnett is most likely to win it, and he hasn't really beaten anybody to really warrant a shot at the UFC champ when he does spank Cormier.

Especially when Overeem rapes lesnar, then you know their will be high demand for Overeem vs winner of Cain-Dos Santos.

Pessimistic
09-15-2011, 06:49 PM
Daniel Cormier will win Strikeforce tournament. Josh Barnett has the experience but so did Mikkel Kessler against Andre Ward in boxing. Didn't work out so well. Cormier will win this. Personally, I do think Cain Velasquez would beat him.

Marchegiano
09-15-2011, 07:08 PM
I don't know that I'm ready to say Josh's experience will be trumped by Danny, and I fully expect Barnett to have the upper hands in stand up. DC's a great wrestler, but I'm not sure he's 100% acclimated to MMA's special brand.

Pessimistic
09-15-2011, 08:19 PM
Josh Barnett might have the stand-up clocked a little bit better due to his experience. But, he better not let DC take him down. There's a chance he won't get to take him down. All speculation anyhow won't know for sure for a handicap until the final staredown before the bell.

Virgil Caine
09-16-2011, 02:36 AM
Barnett basically has to outstrike Cormier to win imo. I don't see him taking DC down, although Cormier may take him down. Barnett does have good hands and knees, but his defense is pretty bad and he gets caught a lot. If Barnett does manage to get on top it would likely be bad news for Cormier, but he won't have an easy time getting there. Barnett obviously has a big experience edge and a good chance to win the fight, but the way I see it is that Barnett is going to be pigeon holed into being forced to outstrike Cormier in order to win. This means that if Cormier gets the upper hand striking and puts Barnett in trouble, Barnett probably won't have anything to fall back on. Cormier will also have a difficult time getting Barnett down, and Barnett is still dangerous from his back, and also has sweeps, but I think Cormier will have a bit more control over where the fight ends up.

$BloodyNate$
09-16-2011, 04:35 PM
Barnett basically has to outstrike Cormier to win imo. I don't see him taking DC down, although Cormier may take him down. Barnett does have good hands and knees, but his defense is pretty bad and he gets caught a lot. If Barnett does manage to get on top it would likely be bad news for Cormier, but he won't have an easy time getting there. Barnett obviously has a big experience edge and a good chance to win the fight, but the way I see it is that Barnett is going to be pigeon holed into being forced to outstrike Cormier in order to win. This means that if Cormier gets the upper hand striking and puts Barnett in trouble, Barnett probably won't have anything to fall back on. Cormier will also have a difficult time getting Barnett down, and Barnett is still dangerous from his back, and also has sweeps, but I think Cormier will have a bit more control over where the fight ends up.

Barnett hung with Prime Nog's boxing so I don't think Cormier is anything special with just a little more power. But Barnett has power of his own and Cormiers chin hasn't really been tested.

Pessimistic
09-16-2011, 05:01 PM
I know. Because he's that damn good. So far anyways.