View Full Version : Sparring a weight lifter

one_two_puncher
09-11-2011, 04:00 AM
my coach wants me to spar with this guy, new to boxing but lifts weights alot before,

I lift weights about two times a week, three tops.

he is very well built because of weight lifting only, just well built, not the super buff built.

I focus more on boxing 3-4 times a week,

im not as built as him, but my arms are pretty toned because of boxing training.

is his vigorous weight lifting background a big factor? will he floor me?

or will my technique pull me though? thanks!

winky's right
09-11-2011, 04:06 AM
you should be able to murk him, but just focus on your technique and it's just sparring don't forget

one_two_puncher
09-11-2011, 04:10 AM
you should be able to murk him, but just focus on your technique and it's just sparring don't forget

thanks, yeah just sparring. im just thinking that maybe there is too much difference in power because of his background, or that maybe he needs a more experienced spar partner,

but hey it's boxing. just gotta learn learn learn

jaded
09-11-2011, 04:36 AM
my coach wants me to spar with this guy, new to boxing but lifts weights alot before,

he is very well built because of weight lifting only, just well built, not the super buff built.

im not as built as him, but my arms are pretty toned because of boxing training.

If he's new to boxing...then he's new to boxing. He may have the potential to hit harder...but that doesn't make him an experienced boxer...he still has everything to learn. If you have more experience and boxing skills then you will have the advantage. If all things are equal but he is stronger than he has the advantage.

one_two_puncher
09-11-2011, 04:47 AM
If he's new to boxing...then he's new to boxing. He may have the potential to hit harder...but that doesn't make him an experienced boxer...he still has everything to learn. If you have more experience and boxing skills then you will have the advantage. If all things are equal but he is stronger than he has the advantage.

yeah thanks, it's just sparring. but yeah technique could neutralize if he's stronger.

thanks man

paulsinghnl
09-11-2011, 01:54 PM
a weight lifter = big muscles = he'll run out of gas faster.. try to outbox him and go to the body, he'll run out soon enough and be a sitting duck for you. use ur technique, let him throw punches and make him miss.

MajorKong
09-11-2011, 03:04 PM
lol, easy work man. Weight lifting doesn't mean **** in boxing. Forget how his body looks, it ain't gonna help him at all.

Uturn
09-11-2011, 04:59 PM
You have experience over him. He doesn't even know how to box? You should be able to pick him off.

colly10
09-11-2011, 05:17 PM
If your an experienced boxer this should be easy work for you. His punches will be slow and awkward and his punches will lack power because of his poor technique.
I used to do alot of weights with the boxing, I hit very hard because I had boxing technique but I felt awkward and I struggled to land on guys with good head movement, lads that didn't have my punching power were destroying me because they were landing and I wasnt fast enough to get the shots off. I also had stamina issues.
Since I stopped the weights, my body doesn't look as big but im faster and able to get the shots off.

You should have no problems with this guy, just think about what your doing and use your skills

one_two_puncher
09-11-2011, 05:44 PM
thanks for the reply guys, yeah. techinque should pull me through,

but regarding my own weight lifting, should i stop lifting? is the myth that it slows you down true?

or should i go just with less weight more reps?

Uturn
09-11-2011, 09:29 PM

but regarding my own weight lifting, should i stop lifting? is the myth that it slows you down true?

Weight lifting is implemented in most boxers programs as of today, unlike years ago when lifting wasn't popular amongst most. Everyone has their opinion on lifting in boxing so its up to you really, some do - some don't.

Lift with less weight and more reps (not heavy).

..El Chacal..
09-11-2011, 10:14 PM

What's the purpose?..what are you trying to accomplish with weights that you can't already do with push ups, pull ups, dips, and squats or lunges?..

jaded
09-12-2011, 12:32 AM
Nothing builds power like weight training. The bigger your muscles...the more oxygen demand you will have...but if you work hard on your cardio you won't have problems. Muscled guys who gas quickly tend to forget that or are a bit lazy when it comes to endurance training. It's a lot of work especially when you get older and it's very hard to focus on both power training and boxing at the same time. It's easier to work with intervals of one and then the other. It's possible to be muscular and flexible...to have speed and endurance...and be a much better boxer for it. BUT...that's a pro-like commitment to do it all even if you are young. At that point you are living for it and have to have very high ambitions to stay that committed...because it's very tough to do.

them_apples
09-12-2011, 12:43 AM

hell get tired very fast and his punches will be like pushes. youll figure this out pretty quickly lol. Don't worry about it. Unless you are a big noob.

EDIT: I can't believe how noobish people are. you think his big muscles are going to give him power? there is nothing wrong with weight lifting but packing a lot of muscle on a small frame won't increase your power lol. Maybe if he had years of technique. you need a strong core and velocity. Usually body builders neglect this.

Me and my good friend have boxed for about 4 years and we've both been in with plenty of body builders. It's common humour around here to beat them up. Probably the worst person that could box.

If they are stronger than you it's only for about 30 seconds literally, he'll be sucking air that quickly...yes.

one_two_puncher
09-12-2011, 06:07 AM
hell get tired very fast and his punches will be like pushes. youll figure this out pretty quickly lol. Don't worry about it. Unless you are a big noob.

EDIT: I can't believe how noobish people are. you think his big muscles are going to give him power? there is nothing wrong with weight lifting but packing a lot of muscle on a small frame won't increase your power lol. Maybe if he had years of technique. you need a strong core and velocity. Usually body builders neglect this.

Me and my good friend have boxed for about 4 years and we've both been in with plenty of body builders. It's common humour around here to beat them up. Probably the worst person that could box.

If they are stronger than you it's only for about 30 seconds literally, he'll be sucking air that quickly...yes.

Thanks for the insight, will do :boxing:

TacticalW
09-12-2011, 08:47 AM

30 seconds maybe if he doesn't do any cardio at all.

Some good things that I've found in weight lifting is that you can make it so your body is better at throwing punches that you don't throw as much in boxing training. When weight lifting use a full range of motion, more sets/reps/speed and less weight and make it so you work on every part of each muscle by having multiple exercises for each muscle group.

As for going up against the inexperienced big guy, like it was said before keep calm and use your skills. The biggest difference between you two is defence and footwork, you worked on dealing with fast punches of all types already and he hasn't etc. Use those two things to your advantage. Don't let it get into a brawl and fight smart. Aye once he gets gassed out you have the freedom to do whatever.

rorymac
09-12-2011, 09:00 AM
There's no reason he should hit harder than you. He'll have no speed nor technique. Focus on 'in and out' type attacks without letting him tie you up.