View Full Version : 20 billion: Who is THE toughest fighter ever?

DarkTerror88
09-06-2011, 11:48 PM
In your opinion, who is the toughest SoB to lace em up and step into the squared circle? Toughness can be defined by: durability, resilience, heart and will, or an invincible aura of plain badassery. Perhaps all of the above.

Call me crazy, but when I hear the words"tough mother****er" I think of the Manassa Mauler, Jack Dempsey.

Hows about yous?

ghns1133
09-06-2011, 11:58 PM
i think about basilio, lamotta, frazier, Jack d, Hagler and duran

to hard to pick just one IMO

DarkTerror88
09-07-2011, 12:01 AM
i think about basilio, lamotta, frazier, Jack d, Hagler and duran

to hard to pick just one IMO

Not trying to yell at you gh, just forgot but people should iclude reasons for why they their man is tough. Listing names a boring, let's get to the nitty on this topic.

ghns1133
09-07-2011, 12:04 AM
k ill sleep on it and get back 2 u tommorow :)

SCtrojansbaby
09-07-2011, 12:06 AM
Arturo Gatti

Ziggy Stardust
09-07-2011, 12:59 AM
Guys that can take a hellacious beating still keep coming back for more. So I'm thinking Chuvalo, Cobb, LaMotta.....guys like that.

Poet

F l i c k e r
09-07-2011, 01:13 AM
Rocky Balboa. :lol1:

Capaedia
09-07-2011, 02:15 AM
I think there is a point at which you can't separate fighters by toughness.

But I'll nominate Joe Frazier anyway because I'm a fanboy.

Getting off the canvas 6 times in the first two rounds of one fight. One that he was losing badly from the offset against one of the most thunderous punchers in history. Now that is one tough bastard.

Barn
09-07-2011, 03:29 AM
Carmen Basilio.

BulgariasFinest
09-07-2011, 03:49 AM
Juan Manuel Marquez - Being knocked down so many times and coming back for more and even being more dangerous while stunned.

LaMotta - For obvious reasons

Chuvalo - Also speaks for himself

Ali - He ate shots from the best of the best era and came on top.

That is off the top of my head.

BulgariasFinest
09-07-2011, 03:49 AM
Double Post.......

MANIAC310
09-07-2011, 04:12 AM
Juan Manuel Marquez - Being knocked down so many times and coming back for more and even being more dangerous while stunned.

LaMotta - For obvious reasons

Chuvalo - Also speaks for himself

Ali - He ate shots from the best of the best era and came on top.

That is off the top of my head.

I agree with this post...

green k

TheGreatA
09-07-2011, 06:08 AM
These two are candidates:

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="360" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xkuye5"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkuye5_nelson-wolgast-highlights_sport" target="_blank">Nelson - Wolgast highlights</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/TheGreatA" target="_blank">TheGreatA</a></i>

Bundana
09-07-2011, 07:19 AM
Joe Grim... no amount of punishment could make this guy quit!

Greatest1942
09-07-2011, 08:01 AM
I second Joe Grim...

Marchegiano
09-07-2011, 08:03 AM
first, **** everyone of you who didn't mention Rocco. You jerks.

Second: Dempsey's right...and wrong. Right name, wrong one. Nonpareil was nonpareil mate. He's the god damned idol, the inspiration.

Third: Les Darcy and the bent in ball protector incident requires mention.

last point here. Bowen and Burke. Lasting = tough and their lasting record's been good since 1895. Longest running record held by any man, and it's to be shared ain't that sweet?

Greatest1942
09-07-2011, 08:08 AM
first, **** everyone of you who didn't mention Rocco. You jerks.

Second: Dempsey's right...and wrong. Right name, wrong one. Nonpareil was nonpareil mate. He's the god damned idol, the inspiration.

Third: Les Darcy and the bent in ball protector incident requires mention.

last point here. Bowen and Burke. Lasting = tough and their lasting record's been good since 1895. Longest running record held by any man, and it's to be shared ain't that sweet?

Well I don't know if I am jerk or not but compared to Joe Grim Rocco Skill set was Willie Pep...the man was in ring with the best of all times and he couldn't box a lick...He took massive punishment and was just a human punching bag.

The names you mention , all of them are great fighters, who atleast had considerable skill.

From what I have read Chuvalo had a much greater skillset than Grim..

dan_cov
09-07-2011, 08:46 AM
Chavalo.
Joe Grim = The human punchbag.
Hagler.
Holyfield.
Margarito.

But the winner for THE toughest of all time probably has to be....Harry Greb or Battling Nelson.

Wasn't it Battling Nelson that got dropped, his jaw broke, fractured eye socket, broken nose & needed over 100 stitches and still won? That is the definition of a hard bastard right there.

dan_cov
09-07-2011, 08:50 AM
More honourable mentions...

Ken Buchannon.
Dempsey.
LaMotta.
Morales.
Sugar Ray.
Ali.
Chavez.

BigStereotype
09-07-2011, 09:02 AM
These two are candidates:

<iframe frameborder="0" width="480" height="360" src="http://www.dailymotion.com/embed/video/xkuye5"></iframe><br /><a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xkuye5_nelson-wolgast-highlights_sport" target="_blank">Nelson - Wolgast highlights</a> <i>by <a href="http://www.dailymotion.com/TheGreatA" target="_blank">TheGreatA</a></i>

Honestly, don't know which is which, but the paler one in the short white shorts is just giving the other dude an AWFUL beating. I thought that that fight was supposed to be very close, but one guy is getting horribly beat up. Didn't watch the whole thing and I can't quite see everything, but what I can see is pretty brutal. I didn't even know that footage existed, that's a cool post.

kendom
09-07-2011, 10:55 AM
Joe Gans went 42 rounds in searing heat while weight-drained and went 17 rounds in a rematch with Battling Nelson while suffering from tuberculosis. You don't get much tougher than that.

Joe Jeannette, took a brutal beating for 30 rounds in fight with Sam Mcvey, knocked down 27 times, in the 19th round had to be dragged to his corner, and came back and outlasted his opponent knocking him down 7 times till Mcvey wasnt able to come out for the 50th round. My God the toughness of these old timers is mind boggling.

TheGreatA
09-07-2011, 11:20 AM
Honestly, don't know which is which, but the paler one in the short white shorts is just giving the other dude an AWFUL beating. I thought that that fight was supposed to be very close, but one guy is getting horribly beat up. Didn't watch the whole thing and I can't quite see everything, but what I can see is pretty brutal. I didn't even know that footage existed, that's a cool post.

That's "The Durable Dane" Battling Nelson taking the beating and Ad Wolgast administering it. Nelson did catch up to Wolgast in the middle of the fight, round 21 I believe, by hurting him and knocking him down with a right hand. Wolgast survived though and came back to beat Nelson up.

The Surgeon
09-07-2011, 01:41 PM
When i hear the word Tough i literally get a picture pop into my head of Joe Frazier in Manilla eye shut, face all puffed to ****, bobbing forward towards the Greatest HW Ever with a snarl of defiance etched on his face and swinging Left Hooks at the tail end of a Long Hard fight in the scorching Heat

IronDanHamza
09-07-2011, 02:09 PM
It's already been mentioned but I'm going to echo the vote of Jake Lamotta.

The Surgeon
09-07-2011, 02:28 PM
Surely not the toughest ever or even of this generation but id just like to give a shout for Danny Williams and his heroic win over Mark Potter with a badly dislocated shoulder, he also showed his toughness vs Vitali Klitchko (along with a complete lack of ability!)

fitefanSHO
09-07-2011, 03:34 PM
The real Roberto Duran, the nightmare that ruled the lightweights in the 70's.

i_am_a_champ
09-07-2011, 08:19 PM
Greb

fought half blind, against much bigger guys.

Someone like Beau Jack. Prior to boxing he took part in battle royals ( or what ever you call em. ) That literally must have been crazy.

ghns1133
09-07-2011, 08:41 PM
i will go with basillio

he ws in some reallybrutal clasics with some big punching champs(demarco,saxton) and atg's(fulmer,srr and i think he fought gavilan?)

they told him he couldnt do it and that definatly sparked the flame