No announcement yet.

boxing or muay thai ?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• boxing or muay thai ?

what is in your opinion the most effective form of fighting ?

ive been training and competing in both (my amateur boxing career was my main activity tough) , and i think that boxing is the most effective . no risky kicks , good movement and you leran to use movement for offense and defense .

muay thai fights turn too much into a war of attrition , you accept too much punishment in muay thai . but the knees are useful , very useful .

BOTH are way better than any other striking arts IMO .

i think mixing boxing with a few knees and low kicks is the top .

i know it changes with everybody morphology and gifts , but what is your opinion ?

I agree, frenchie. Muay thai is take 1 to give 1, and their hands cannot be compared to boxing. I used to box 3 times a week followed by some MT and grappling... I think Boxing has become a must in MMA.

Comment

My suggestion, cross train in both it will make all the more dealier it's what i've done.

Comment

Originally posted by 2nd II none
        My suggestion, cross train in both it will make all the more dealier it's what i've done.

it s hard to really cross train . muay thai negates upper body movement (sadly) and the way you plant your feet is different , so it s hard to transfer boxing punches exactly to muay thai .

i cross trained and competeted in both , and frankly they tend to "parasite" each other . but maybe it worked for you .

Comment

Muay Thai can be more effective, but on the whole, you sacrifice alot of defense in reaching for offense. The main advantage in Muay Thai is that you learn to effectively kick, and trust me in this, a hard kick makes a hard punch feel like heaven. All in all, I prefer boxing as a fighting technique because you can virtually win a fight without getting hit, prvided you have the skill.

Comment

Originally posted by punchers_chance
            Muay Thai can be more effective, but on the whole, you sacrifice alot of defense in reaching for offense. The main advantage in Muay Thai is that you learn to effectively kick, and trust me in this, a hard kick makes a hard punch feel like heaven. All in all, I prefer boxing as a fighting technique because you can virtually win a fight without getting hit, prvided you have the skill.

muay thai kicks make you look like a crippled ****** when you send them , but they are effective for sure . they are kinda slow tough . i think most of the time low kicks and middle kicks from the right leg (if you are orthodox) are the only really useful kicks , on a regular basis .

it s kinda hard to land flush with a kick , and you cant land combos of kicks . thats why punches >kicks .

as any other striking technique proved effective in MMA ?

Comment

I think, on the whole, a striker with good footwork and lateral movement who is well versed in boxing can be very effective. I've noticed that the best strikers in UFC (i.e. Chuck Liddell) don't really establish a rythym with their punches and just look for that one. I think if an elite boxer entered the UFC and was able to sprawl well to stay off the ground, he could be extremely effective with his devoted striking.

Comment

Originally posted by tino
                it s hard to really cross train . muay thai negates upper body movement (sadly) and the way you plant your feet is different , so it s hard to transfer boxing punches exactly to muay thai .

i cross trained and competeted in both , and frankly they tend to "parasite" each other . but maybe it worked for you .

It is a bit hard you just have to learn how to blend the two and make a nice style out of it.My advice don't go overboard on the kicks only use them at the most oportune time such as leg kicks and when a guy leaves his guard down way too much.Other then that I'd be bombing away with punches.

Comment

on a side note , savate is a very pleasing sport to pratice .

Comment

kickboxing>boxing

Comment

Working...
                    X