View Full Version : Can King Mo LnP his way to victory against Roger Gracie?

Clegg
09-03-2011, 09:45 PM
These two meet next week in Strikeforce.

Although both are less-than-great strikers, Mo probably has the advantage standing. Although Gracie has excellent judo, Mo is probably going to be able to decide where the fight takes places because of his wrestling skills. So maybe he just makes sure they never go to the ground and we end up with a Renzo-Hughes/Ribeiro-Aoki kind of fight.

But if Mo does decide to try to beat Roger in the same fashion he beat Mousasi, how do you see it going?

We've seen guys with excellent BJJ lose via decision to playing-it-safe wrestlers on several occasssions, but what chance does that approach have of working against arguably the most decorated submission grappler of all time?

BKM-2010
09-03-2011, 10:43 PM
Maybe King Mo can keep using his ground and pound hoping it disorientates Gracie enough on the ground. We don't know how Roger reacts to getting hit.

ƒallenloki
09-03-2011, 10:48 PM
If he tries to grapple with Gracie he'll get subbed, without a doubt.

Roger Gracie is likely the best BJJ grappler ever. EVER.

F l i c k e r
09-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Yes. He can lnp any gracie.

That's how matt hughes always beat them. Just smother and molest.

Left Hook Tua
09-03-2011, 11:38 PM
Roger Gracie is likely the best BJJ grappler ever. EVER.

rickson by armbar.

Left Hook Tua
09-03-2011, 11:40 PM

matt hughes beating 40 yr. olds royce and renzo is not exactly the same as lay and praying roger gracie.

Clegg
09-03-2011, 11:42 PM

Matt Hughes didn't lnp against Royce and didn't go to the ground with Renzo. Hughes at his best had far better submissions than King Mo.

ƒallenloki
09-03-2011, 11:54 PM
rickson by armbar.

Lol... It's been a while since I've seen that.

But for any doubters, go look up Roger's competitive BJJ record.

Left Hook Tua
09-03-2011, 11:56 PM
Lol... It's been a while since I've seen that.

But for any doubters, go look up Roger's competitive BJJ record.

he's done very well.

especially in the "rickson" division.

Virgil Caine
09-04-2011, 02:15 AM
Mo will probably look to keep it standing. The only guy he ever LNPd was Mousasi, because Mousasi is so much better at kickboxing than Mo. He didn't try to LNP Feijao (he did attempt some take downs, but seemed obliged to fight standing as well).

F l i c k e r
09-04-2011, 04:13 AM
matt hughes beating 40 yr. olds royce and renzo is not exactly the same as lay and praying roger gracie.

lol, won't argue that but at the same time it's possible where wrestling can neutralize great bjj.

Matt Hughes didn't lnp against Royce and didn't go to the ground with Renzo. Hughes at his best had far better submissions than King Mo.

i won't disagree with that but he tends to neutralize bjj with his wrestling. that smother and molest stuff works if your strong enough and keep really tight to the bjj guy.

plus it's "can" mo do it. Which i think he can. Will he? i dunno. :lol1:

*Boss*
09-04-2011, 11:02 AM
Roger by flying triangle.

ƒallenloki
09-04-2011, 03:54 PM
^^

If that happens I may actually orgasm.

Blackfoot
09-04-2011, 06:20 PM
I don't think that Roger can handle Mo standing and if Mo doesn't want it to go to the ground it most likely won't.

Jack3d
09-04-2011, 06:39 PM
It's possible. However to beat a grappler of that caliber on the ground, besides the obvious high level wrestling and strength, you need to have a high motor. Because neutralizing BJJ that good goes beyond just controlling the guy, you need to be relentless with your ground and pound and transitions. Constant activity to the point where it becomes overwhelming.

Mo doesn't have that. His conditioning is terrible.

His best bet is to make short trips inside with big punches standing up. If he tries to clinch with Roger he'll get tripped up and thrown to the ground, then it'll be over.

Boxingtech718v2
09-04-2011, 09:20 PM
I predict Mo by boring LnP.

$BloodyNate$
09-06-2011, 12:52 PM
He could do what Phil Davis did to Lil Nog but easier since he's probably the better striker here too and thats what I would do if I was him just bang it out since the ground is still too risky, but he could always just control his legs like I said Davis did to lil nog.

*Boss*
09-06-2011, 01:33 PM
I predict Mo by boring LnP.

Mo doesnt want the fight to go the the ground with a 10 time BJJ world champ. It doesnt matter if Roger is on top or bottom , if the fight hits the gorund , Mo gets subbed. Mo has to stay on his feet to win.

*Boss*
09-10-2011, 12:53 AM
Strikeforce tomorrow !!! Roger for the win by sub !!!!!

Virgil Caine
09-11-2011, 10:45 AM
I gotta be honest, these lay and prayers like King Mo and Cormier are killing this sport.

BKM-2010
09-11-2011, 11:30 AM
King Mo did kill Gracie's MMA career. But I still didn't see enough improvement from his striking. He's gonna get in trouble when he faces a great striker with tdd again. I'd like to see him rematch Rafael.

*Boss*
09-11-2011, 01:24 PM
[QUOTE=boxkickboxmma;11118843]King Mo did kill Gracie's MMA career. But I still didn't see enough improvement from his striking. He's gonna get in trouble when he faces a great striker with tdd again. I'd like to see him rematch Rafael.[/QUOTE

He killed his career ? its his first loss !!!! He will be back.

Spazz
09-11-2011, 01:43 PM
[QUOTE=boxkickboxmma;11118843]King Mo did kill Gracie's MMA career. But I still didn't see enough improvement from his striking. He's gonna get in trouble when he faces a great striker with tdd again. I'd like to see him rematch Rafael.[/QUOTE

I seriously doubt it. Not with that chin. The guy is the epitome of 1 dimensional.

BKM-2010
09-11-2011, 02:01 PM

His reaction to the first solid hit he ever took was something that will be almost impossible to fix. In this sport you either have it or you don't, and he's the best grappler in the world yet when he went down from the first punch, he did not try to get Mo in his guard, it looked like he froze from pure fear and was then knocked out by a following hit.

Clegg
09-12-2011, 03:20 AM
Maia was knocked out even quicker than that once. Jacare was knocked out in his first fight. Nick Diaz was stopped by strikes early in his career.

People get written off too quickly in combat sports. Let's wait and see for a while.

Jack3d
09-12-2011, 03:35 AM
King Mo did kill Gracie's MMA career. But I still didn't see enough improvement from his striking. He's gonna get in trouble when he faces a great striker with tdd again. I'd like to see him rematch Rafael.

Rafael is not that great of a striker. But at the same time knocking out a Gracie isn't exactly a huge accomplishment. Mo's striking is still raw and his conditioning is still awful.

Blackfoot
09-18-2011, 07:43 PM
I don't think that Roger can handle Mo standing and if Mo doesn't want it to go to the ground it most likely won't.

lol I'm usually not good at predictions but I've gotta toot my own horn on that one.

BlueberryMuffin
09-18-2011, 08:58 PM
in all fairness to Roger, he is still very green when it comes to the striking game and he only has 5 professional fights so i am sure he is going to keep getting better. Also... no shame in losing to Mo as he can knock anyone out with those little gloves, plus it was really that clash of heads that started it all.

Squezze
09-19-2011, 11:25 AM
The Gracies have been pretty irrelevant in the MMA world for years now. Roger Gracie most likely has a long career ahead of him. Its too early to write him off, due to one KO loss.