View Full Version : When was the first time you guy sparred?

moneymayforever
09-03-2011, 08:51 PM
How was your first sparring? How did it feel? Was it fun? Harsh? How many months after you started boxing did you do your first sparring? I'm into almost 8 months now, still the coach won't let me do it.

ghns1133
09-03-2011, 08:54 PM
i think people should be thorw into sparring right away...

i cant remember cause i fought before i sparred :)

but i remeber being nervous as hell

got over it though

Barn
09-03-2011, 09:08 PM
I didn't really know what to do so just threw and threw and the person took a knee and the coach stopped it.

Benamint
09-03-2011, 11:16 PM
Ummm right off the bat I started sparring and it was..... a learning experience..... We were going fast but light but I still found a way to get hit hard by leaning into an oncoming hook. After being knocked staggering I went right back at him! My plan for sparring was and still kinda is small goals: push the action or land at least on solid punch or don't get tagged hard because of head movement etc. Worked well for me.

Rockin'
09-03-2011, 11:23 PM
I sparred the first night in the gym. I asked to spar somebody and I was told that new guys don't normally spar. I said that I'm not normal and how can somebody come to a boxing gym not looking to mix it up with someone.

They let me in and I did pretty good against a more experienced boxer. If I'd known what I was getting into I may have rather tried out for the schools golf team.....

Just kidding, wouldn't change a thing except for the girlfriend that I ended up with while fighting pro........Rockin':boxing:

bernardotelo
09-03-2011, 11:42 PM
first time i got there,,bad thing to do...

Dudemanguy
09-04-2011, 12:29 AM
Got to spar the first time, got owned too but sparing is way more fun than hitting the bag or mits, pretty sure the endorphins get you high or something lol.

..David..
09-04-2011, 01:17 AM
I will never forget mine it was brutal as hell hahaha i used to be really big and ripped so the first time i went to the gym ( i live in mexico ) .

They saw me kind of big and strong and my trainer ( wich was an old kind of crazy guy hahaha ) threw me in the ring with a tall guy ... i took a real beating over 2 rounds hahaha even went down a coupe of times and ended up with the worst black eye I have ever recieved.

Later i found out that my sparring rival was Michael medina hahaha wich was lke 16-0 as a pro hahaha the guy has fought martirosyan and john duddy hahahaa

Still i went back to training the next day and gained some respect.

BulgariasFinest
09-04-2011, 03:50 AM
First day I got into the gym, the coach told me to get in to spar. I actually did pretty good and I loved it and I have ever since.

Uturn
09-04-2011, 09:01 AM
My first time sparring I busted my friends nose!

The second time I got in with an experienced 20+ fighter, took a bit of a beating and came home with a blackeye. A good lesson taught for me, I needed one to be taught the harsh reality of Boxing.

#1Assassin
09-06-2011, 09:40 AM
my first sparring session was basicly right away, second or third day in the gym. sparred a older guy with lots of experience, he just took it easy and made sure i stayed with the basics. second time i sparred i got thrown into rotation though (intense sparring), got a bit of an ass whuppin i aint gon lie lol.

TacticalW
09-06-2011, 10:46 AM
My 3rd session back after a year long absence I had my first boxing sparring session. I was up against a guy who had over an inch on me, a good bit past heavyweight (while I was less than 178lbs) and that was going to the gym for a while with a month sparring and one exhibition fight under his belt. We started and he threw a one two, jab being parried and that straight getting through (obviously I didn't get a chance to work on my defence much in the first 2 sessions) and from that second punch realized he was in his imma-hurt-you mode for some reason. So from that point I went wild using what I did get a chance to practice on, my offense. Conveniently my neck muscles were really strong and all of the hits to the head didn't do anything to interrupt my technique for the punches. My abs were pretty strong too so those body blows didn't phase me either. I got hit a lot "but" I hit him more and definitely a lot harder. I was surprised with some of the sounds I was making off his body.. The coach kept on stopping the fight every time he got in a bad spot. There were a few moments where I guess he was close to going down because he straight up "ran" - not facing me.. just running like in track. Well that finished soon after and then I got a session with the owner where he defended and I guess checked out what I got personally after seeing that (although I was pretty tired after that first one lol) and finished off with some light sessions against more veteran guys working on dealing with specific punches - more drilling than sparring. I came back the next day although I admit I was just a little whoozy from taking too many shots to the head the day before lmao.. I felt a bit bad about it later but he "was" a seasoned big guy and he certainly was trying to take my head off lol. So I guess I "shouldn't" feel bad about it. That was the only sparring match I brawled more than boxed. I quickly remedied my defence and within a few weeks improved very much all around.

LightzOut
09-06-2011, 11:36 AM
I sparred the first time i went! dumb ass trainer, put me in with the best fighter below 16's i got my ass kicked! but still came the next training session.

kbpoetree
09-06-2011, 03:58 PM
8 months and no sparring yet????? What kind of coach is that...sparring is key to learning boxing no doubt...I'm not sayen throw someone in there right away by no means...however I have given the new students that chance but it is always w myself and not against other students..Sparring is by far the best learning experience one can look gr8 in the mirror or on bag but when one is in there with someone moving and punching back...totally changes things...I thnk if you've been goin 8months steady and no sparring somethan is wrong and not with you..your coaching

chico 305
09-06-2011, 04:28 PM
First time I sparred I was still green, some fool training for a upcoming amateur bout needed someone his size to work with so he asked me (the coach didnt go in that day) if I can give him some rounds as he works on his defensive skills, I did real good I got gassed during the 3rd round and I guess he took advantage and became very offensive, took advantage of my weak lungs haha

kbpoetree
09-06-2011, 04:59 PM
First time I sparred I was still green, some fool training for a upcoming amateur bout needed someone his size to work with so he asked me (the coach didnt go in that day) if I can give him some rounds as he works on his defensive skills, I did real good I got gassed during the 3rd round and I guess he took advantage and became very offensive, took advantage of my weak lungs haha
what a coward(the guy u sparred)...prob lost his fight too huh??? when u got gassed he shouldve went str8 to defense/footwork mode....Offense is easy...lol

chico 305
09-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Yea man The good thing bout it he made me train 100 times harder with my sole goal to "spar" him again and give him a moppin', luckily for him he moved a month or so later and we never saw him again...

he didnt even fight, they didnt have someone his size, or he was the odd man outt in his weight or sum ish

them_apples
09-06-2011, 08:31 PM
first time i sparred was with a guy in my weight class. He hit me a lot cause i got tired..i got a few shots in. Didnd't really hurt me I was sort of a scrapper back then and was egging him on cause i didn't feel he could hurt me. Then the coach yelled at me. was really mostly just fatigue.

Mohammedini
09-07-2011, 05:04 AM
In my first sparring I was 13 and my coach put me in with a man hating 20+ buff lesbian:lol1:. We were supposed to go easy, needless to say she didn't. Kicked my ass and bloodied my lip with an uppercut(biatch).
What can I say, i got my revenge a couple of weeks later were I beat the sh1t out of her(yes I'm a woman beater:lol1:).
A tall skinny Somalian kid with long arms fighting like a stalking midget is what you can describe my first sparring sessions(my arms were too skiny for me 2 block punches loool that is why I am so brain damaged ;)).
if you never sparred why even plan for pro?
also tell your coach st8 up that you absolutely want to spar instead of being babied. 8 months? they let me spar with a crazy lesbian barbarian in my second training

moneymayforever
09-07-2011, 06:25 AM
god you people's posts made me want to spar REAL BAD... DAMN IT THATS IT!!! IM GONNA TELL MY MOTHER****ING COACH THAT I WANT TO SPAR. TODAY. NOT TOMORROW, TODAY AND FROM NOW ON. oh and by the way, my punches were relying on my arms, but defenently got better, using my hips more. when you guys sparred, were you using your arms more than your legs? and even if i suck at my first sparring will i become better if i continue? thanks all :)

Dudemanguy
09-07-2011, 06:48 AM
You would have to be on the oposite end of the talent spectrum to sugar ray robinson to not improve in sparing after doing it a few times lol you will be fine probably.

J.Dempsey
09-07-2011, 08:03 AM
My first time sparring was with 16oz gloves no head gear and against an experienced amateur 2weights above me who was suppose to go easy..I was so nervous I gassed after 1min..I got a good beating..it was a wake up call as I used to do taekwondo and that sparring was tapping eachother, I realised just how much goes into to this sport..since then I respect every boxer

ChowAce
09-07-2011, 01:26 PM
I started sparring within 2-3 weeks. I worked with a top amateur in Holland for a while until I got an injury. I was able to spar so early because I kick boxed for a year prior to starting boxing, so I was used to getting hit and such.

moneymayforever
09-07-2011, 07:57 PM
my injury i had a couple months ago might be teh cause. I was going to do my first spar at September but the mucles in my forearm broke due to overwork on lifting weights. now im fine as hell, better than ever actually but my coach thinks i almost had a fracture because of overwork. no dude, its my muscles, not my bone. and no matter how many times i correct him he still thinks its a fracture. JESUS PLEASE. my body ain't that weak god damn it.

moneymayforever
09-08-2011, 09:15 AM
and today ive just realized that i was leaning towards my left more than my right, which caused me to lose balance whenever i punch. i havent realized it until a trainer told me TODAY. which means ive been doing it all wrong this whole 8 months. now im going to have to work on my balance hence forth. why the **** didn't i work on it earlier?? :(