View Full Version : How Effective Are Pull Up's?

Perfect Plex
09-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Am getting Pull Up bar. How effective would you say they are?

#1-Macdaddy
09-02-2011, 09:44 PM
jesus thinks they are very functional

jesus can crankk out like 25 on a good day

jesus also thinks you should get one

-jesus #1 macdaddy

Tomislav III
09-02-2011, 09:57 PM
Am getting Pull Up bar. How effective would you say they are?

Pull ups are the most effective upper body exercise you can do. Weighted or just by bodyweight, the more you do, the better.

Great, great, great investment, the pull up bar.

BostonGuy
09-02-2011, 10:13 PM
Clubber Lang swore by the chin up bar. Dude was pretty ripped for a hw...

MajorKong
09-02-2011, 10:16 PM
One of the best exercises you can do.

Get the bar.

welcometosaigon
09-02-2011, 10:38 PM
pull ups, dips, and push ups are where its at. Stick with them and I promise you'll see great results.

Perfect Plex
09-02-2011, 11:23 PM
pull ups, dips, and push ups are where its at. Stick with them and I promise you'll see great results.

You think there better than weight training?

Ogecca MaMa
09-02-2011, 11:27 PM
if you are getting 1 from walmart where you build it and hang in your appartment its not good at all. you have to do it on a metal one outside or build permanently at home. it cant be that crap that you buy in the store. believe me I know what im talking about...and if you gonna use the right bar, pull ups are Very effective. most kids start do it at age 12 and by the time they are 16 they have crazy shapes..when you are 20+ it will just help with some muscles and body strength

Ogecca MaMa
09-02-2011, 11:28 PM
You think there better than weight training?

weight lifting is for losers. I dare anyone to say im wrong

MajorKong
09-02-2011, 11:53 PM
weight lifting is for losers. I dare anyone to say im wrong

Anyone who fights amateur or pro knows this is true.

Fighters don't bother with weights 95% of the time.

:beerchug:

MajorKong
09-02-2011, 11:54 PM

^^^ truth.......

Ogecca MaMa
09-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Anyone who fights amateur or pro knows this is true.

Fighters don't bother with weights 95% of the time.

:beerchug:

well I said it wrong. I guess its better do weight lifting than drugs. But to be honest that stuff dont do you good at all. in fact it plays big role for your heart, decreases stamina and agility. etc.. ima post these few vids just so the TS doesnt have more questions.

First this was a Must in Soviet military. even back hundreds of years ago russians were doing this. but I wont show you just 1 video, so you wont think I show off or something. there is 2nd video of black dudes that kill bars every day. no protein, no roids..watch yourself

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wt2yxFOrwxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://vk.com/video_ext.php?oid=10731264&id=138301264&hash=f192d31b255e35f5" width="607" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Perfect Plex
09-03-2011, 12:12 AM
well I said it wrong. I guess its better do weight lifting than drugs. But to be honest that stuff dont do you good at all. in fact it plays big role for your heart, decreases stamina and agility. etc.. ima post these few vids just so the TS doesnt have more questions.

First this was a Must in Soviet military. even back hundreds of years ago russians were doing this. but I wont show you just 1 video, so you wont think I show off or something. there is 2nd video of black dudes that kill bars every day. no protein, no roids..watch yourself

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Wt2yxFOrwxA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe src="http://vk.com/video_ext.php?oid=10731264&id=138301264&hash=f192d31b255e35f5" width="607" height="360" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Amazing stuff. But you say no protien. So when your doing your own body weight excercies you dont need to drink/eat protien after like you do with weight training?

(& whats your workout routine?)

Ogecca MaMa
09-03-2011, 12:22 AM
Amazing stuff. But you say no protien. So when your doing your own body weight excercies you dont need to drink/eat protien after like you do with weight training?

(& whats your workout routine?)

my workout routine is different from others'. I do sports as a pro.

and all you need is natural food. meat, vegies, fruits. i'm not trying to be a dick, but in US most food products are made with GMO, no idea whats that in English. the food that you buy in store, not naturally grown. chemicals and other sh*t added, so it grows faster and in more quantity.

if you really want to care about your health, I would grow my own stuff in the backyard. im not even kidding, come to Europe or ex soviet country, try the food and you will be surprised about the difference and taste.

and about the routine, only if you will get serious, pm me and I will give you good advice. peace

moneymayforever
09-03-2011, 04:39 AM
i usually do dips/pull ups after i weight lift, and those **** really adds the extra burn on your chest and arms and even lats! they work wonders!

UglyPug
09-03-2011, 10:12 AM
pull-ups are excellent for widening your lats, and thus resulting in a longer reach.

i have HUGE lats from doing weighted pull-ups. look at my avatar picture and you can see how wide my back is. . . make sure you do them properly - go all the way down and pull all the way up.

i don't even lift weights. all i do is pushups, dips, pullups, squats (light weight with like 40 pound dumbells in each hand, but i do like 30-50 reps). ive improved my speed, strength, stamina, soo much.

UglyPug
09-03-2011, 10:20 AM
Cuban - just get a gram of protein per pound of body weight (or somewhere around that ratio). if you can get all that from your regular diet - fish, chicken, soy, lentils (excellent source of protein and complex carbs), etc. then you don't need protein shakes. but if you can't get the proper protein ratio without exceeding daily caloric intake (based on your body weight and goals), then drink some protein shakes - make sure you drink it immediately after your workout - your muscles are broken down and absorb the amino acids and protein much better

UglyPug
09-03-2011, 10:22 AM
see my profile if you want to see what a PROFESSIONAL BOXER ABS look like. haha im not professional boxer, though, but my abs are built like prototypical boxer. VERY WIDE - they extend and cover my ribcage.

MajorKong
09-03-2011, 12:16 PM

I've seen these before, but its basically my style of training. I'm not as advanced as these guys, but I feel strong and always stay flexible.

I use weights sometimes but mostly in the form of medicine balls or to weigh down certain leg exercises.

MajorKong
09-03-2011, 12:17 PM
my workout routine is different from others'. I do sports as a pro.

and all you need is natural food. meat, vegies, fruits. i'm not trying to be a dick, but in US most food products are made with GMO, no idea whats that in English. the food that you buy in store, not naturally grown. chemicals and other sh*t added, so it grows faster and in more quantity.

if you really want to care about your health, I would grow my own stuff in the backyard. im not even kidding, come to Europe or ex soviet country, try the food and you will be surprised about the difference and taste.

and about the routine, only if you will get serious, pm me and I will give you good advice. peace

You are absolutely right again. I like you man. I really do.

ghns1133
09-03-2011, 01:54 PM
dont forget inverted pull ups and hanstand push ups

then u get every plane of motion

J.Dempsey
09-03-2011, 04:29 PM
i find any callisthenic exercises are great for any sport as it gets you strong for your body shape and size.
pull ups are great as it'll help you create power through your body (0 seconds up, 5 seconds down). The core will increase in strength and that helps punching power.
my pull up bar is the best investment i've made!
go for it!

Tejas
10-25-2011, 04:41 AM
Actually body weight exercises work the body in its natural range and type of motion. Because of this the body responds amazingly to it and develops to its full potential much more effectively and maintains tendon and ligament strength, thus protecting the joints. Thus you get stronger and prevent injury and get more agile (as you are training the body to move itself). No other form of training does all these things. In my opinion every serious athlete must aim to master one leg squats, one arm push ups (without splaying out the legs), Uneven pull ups (one hand holding the bar, the other clutching the area a little below the wrist of the first hand) and hanging v-raises, to develop functional and long lasting power.

IronBoxer
10-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Pull ups are the king of upper body-weight exercises. No training regimen is complete without this exercise and due to their difficulty, they are often shunned in favor of the mediocre lat pull-down.

In boxing strong lats add more torque to your punches and improve hand speed especially when you overextend the hook and uppercut.

When doing pull ups, kipping and jerking your body will not cut it. Dead hang is the only way to get strong at them and reap the benefits.

jamesbrown
10-30-2011, 03:44 PM
I love pull ups get like me and do sets of 30+(sometimes) you will have massive back and people will love/hate your hook and uppercuts!

mrcupide2
10-31-2011, 10:35 AM
There's a diff between weight training and body building. A lot of boxers weight train these days.

IronBoxer
10-31-2011, 10:51 PM
There's a diff between weight training and body building. A lot of boxers weight train these days.

However, they often do it wrong and way too much, after all barbells and dumbbells don't hit back. Personally lifting in the off season or rather in between fights very heavy for low reps to increase raw power is the way to go. When camp starts its best to ditch it and concentrate on building stamina and honing your skills.

But yes a boxer should not be doing single joint exercises or split body part routines

UglyPug
11-01-2011, 08:26 AM
look at my avi and you tell me how EFFECTIVE pulllups are. . . really the only back exercise i do. . . pullups have added about 3 inches to my reach. . . YES - your JAB WILL BECOME RANGIER from widening your back! i don't lift weights. . . all bodyweight exercises for me. . . pushups (ill use the "perfect pushups" sometimes), pullups (inverted to concentrate more on biceps), dips, ab work with medicine ball. . . well i take that back - ill use 15-40 pound dumbells for lightweight "jump squats" and lunges. . . very lightweight but high reps like 25-50. . .

i exercise for "boxing movements". . . also use resistance bands and shadow box with them. . . and skip rope, sprints, and jog for my cardio. . . also i live in a 15 story highrise apartment complex downtown. . . ill do stair runs! VERY EFFECTIVE!

McGoorty
11-02-2011, 08:04 AM

Very good reading these posts of yours, Bob Fitzsimmons would have approved mate... cheers.

McGoorty
11-02-2011, 08:12 AM
Cuban - just get a gram of protein per pound of body weight (or somewhere around that ratio). if you can get all that from your regular diet - fish, chicken, soy, lentils (excellent source of protein and complex carbs), etc. then you don't need protein shakes. but if you can't get the proper protein ratio without exceeding daily caloric intake (based on your body weight and goals), then drink some protein shakes - make sure you drink it immediately after your workout - your muscles are broken down and absorb the amino acids and protein much better
A dollar for that, have to spread you know what 1st...... Good advice posts.. cheers.

UglyPug
11-02-2011, 09:23 AM
listen to ODESSA MOMMA! He probably trains/fights at the highest level in here; well, along with a few others. . .

i don't box competitively, or at least i haven't yet; i just try to listen and learn from those who do, and implicate their training methods to stay in shape and as a hobby. i have sparred, and hopefully plan on boxing a few matches. . .

UglyPug
11-02-2011, 09:24 AM
A dollar for that, have to spread you know what 1st...... Good advice posts.. cheers.

thank you fellow irishman! i admit im not a professional athlete or anything, but i have listened and learned from a lot. . .