View Full Version : Hitting Heavybag

Al3x
09-02-2011, 12:06 PM
Hey its just a short video about 30 seconds of me hitting the bag. Just looking for some tips if im doing anything wrong (probably everything haha)

I dont have a gym yet im looking to drop the rest of my weight then hopefully in about 12 months looking at competing.

Its only short I will try and get up a longer one in a few days.

Its after 5 rounds and about 60 pushups so as you can imagine im pretty tired by this point.

By the way the bag weighs 50kg - About 110 pounds or so.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2S3dG-qnmdE

kbpoetree
09-02-2011, 12:45 PM
had hard time watchen as its sideways....however biggest thing i saw...dont throw body shots without bending at the knees..ur droppen hands to go to body and leaven ur head wide open....body shots are same as to the head basicly but u have to drop at knees to get to the body

freestylez007
09-02-2011, 12:46 PM
Most importantly you need to look at the bag. Next you need to snap out them punches and not fall into the bag, move around after throwing shots. Focus on that first before anything else. I would like to suggest checking out expertboxing.com the coach is the best out that I've seen. He explains all technical aspects of boxing thoroughly.

Al3x
09-02-2011, 12:55 PM
Thanks guys, id love to be able to move around but there isnt really enough room to hit the bag and move around like i want to. For now it will have to do i guess. So long as my technique isn't terrible and I can just work on that, which is the most important thing.

Thanks for the body shots tip....

Barn
09-02-2011, 01:33 PM
Twist into your punches using your hips, you're throwing arm punches only using your arms, that won't get you much momentum to increase punching power, nor will you be able to transfer weight into another punch.

Take a step back, to measure where you should be standing stand straight in front of the bag and stretch out your arm and put your fist on the bag, make sure the arm is locked tight. That's the distance you should be standing at, when throwing punches you step in or twist to make the extra distance needed to damage someone.

Put the elbows tighter into your hips so you're not as vulnerable to body shots, and keep that right hand a little higher or you're going to be a sucker for the left hook.

ANT_P1989
09-02-2011, 01:50 PM
On your left uppercuts to the body you're dropping your hand exposing your chin. On left uppercuts to the body you have to dip left with your knees bent and shoot the upper like you're jamming a knife into the liver and quickly pulling the blade out.

Al3x
09-16-2011, 08:45 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkxFxlReqA8

Hey guys made another video yesterday. Hopefully its a little better than the first.

Still looking for tips and if/where I have improved.

Thanks

Al3x
09-17-2011, 06:41 PM
No-one got any tips....

Thanks

jdmsoldman
09-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Video is hard to watch. First work on getting video right side up. Then you should try to find a gym or a coach. Training by yourself you are liable to perfect your bad habits.

Barn
09-19-2011, 02:00 PM
Put those ear muffs on!

Al3x
09-19-2011, 03:35 PM
Ear muffs? What? hah...

Barn
09-19-2011, 04:18 PM
Ear muffs? What? hah...
Your hands are a tad low.

Al3x
09-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Ok mate, thanks anymore tips?

Al3x
10-07-2011, 03:00 PM
This is my latest video guys

I welcome all opinions...

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6d_-oVKvkM

JJC
10-08-2011, 04:38 AM
Three tips.

Balance your weight by putting more weight on your back foot and bending your knees a little. Your back should more or less be straight but at the moment you're leaning your head forward which not only means you're off-balance but also means you'll be more likely to get hit.

Extend your arms fully when you throw your punches. Your elbows shouldn't be so bent when you land.

Rotate your hips to generate power. This will also help fix your problem of leaning forward.

I suggest searching for Freddie Roach's training videos on Youtube, or any training videos really. It's important not to develop bad habits if you plan to get into boxing seriously.

It's the same mistakes most people make when they start out hitting the bag though, so don't be discouraged. Most boxing gyms will train these basic points into you pretty quickly.

dan_cov
10-08-2011, 05:01 AM
You look a big guy, how tall are you?

You are hunched over too much. Try dipping your knees slightly & putting a little more weight on your back foot.

I'd say it wasn't bad apart from your footwork really. Your feet appear to close together & your rear leg should be slightly further out from your lead foot. Try this & try rotating your hips to generate power.

Other than that it wasn't bad at all, definitely some potential there.

I know the freestanding bags are a pain in the ar5e but can you not pull it out & practise circling & working it more?

+ notes.
You kept your chin tucked well.
Brought your gloves back to your chin.
Set up shots with the jab.
Wasn't too squared up.
Turned your shots over.

Good effort.

Al3x
10-08-2011, 08:58 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Im 6ft6 btw mate

I will post another video up when I get a chance.

Thanks again

dan_cov
10-08-2011, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the tips guys.

Im 6ft6 btw mate

I will post another video up when I get a chance.

Thanks again

Wow big guy, tell you something, you have more talent already than Tyson Fury.

Al3x
10-08-2011, 09:21 AM
Hah i wish, still looking for a boxing gym thats half decent around here..

thatjamaicanguy
10-08-2011, 05:26 PM
http://www.youtube.com/user/Rivalbox

i Highly HIGHLY recommend looking at all of these Russ Anber training videos. He explains that the most basic, the most important thing in boxing, is stance.

Stance, stance, stance. You want to get that right before anything else. If your stance is right, everything else will fall into place. I can't stress enough STANCE.

The best boxers today have great footwork. Mayweather, Andre Ward, Bernard Hopkins, Sergio Martinez, (PACQUIAO HAS TERRIBLE FOOTWORK) Muhammad Ali

watch these guys on youtube, and you'll see that the stance with these boxers is parallel to the stance with the one Russ Anber teaches.

Good luck, i wish you the best, and it's awesome that you're into boxing!! :)

STANCE!!

Al3x
10-08-2011, 06:00 PM
Thanks mate got another video check back later to c it

Al3x
10-08-2011, 08:10 PM
Did this video today....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0z5N35iAGE

WarMaidana
10-08-2011, 09:16 PM
You gotta keep your distance, so your punches are fully extended to keep an opponent away and also to maximize the power. Also you should be throwing puncehs at eye level unless your going to body, and yoru dropping your hands

thatjamaicanguy
10-09-2011, 07:02 AM
make sure your head doesn't go in front of your foot. You don't want to lead with your head.

Watch those Russ Anber videos!

Al3x
10-10-2011, 10:23 AM
Made a short video today, noticed as a few people have mentioned that my weight it to much on my front foot, whats the best way to correct this. Also anyone notice anything else.

Thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vKC_6AoUVak

thatjamaicanguy
10-11-2011, 02:32 AM
the best way to correct that is to have a solid stance.

I can't stress enough that stance is the MOST IMPORTANT TECHNICAL piece of the boxing puzzle.

Have a good stance. Have good footwork. And you're on your way

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAB-BG1B-78

Rockin'
10-11-2011, 02:43 AM
I'm at a loss for words... Don't quit your day job............Rockin':boxing:

Dudemanguy
10-11-2011, 03:27 AM
Your balance is all funny, i cant really put my finger on it but it makes me kinda uncomfortable to watch it lol. Just join a gym and they will probably fix it.

Al3x
10-11-2011, 07:58 AM
Cheers guys, Rockin keep your useless posts to yourself

Rockin'
10-11-2011, 11:17 AM
Cheers guys, Rockin keep your useless posts to yourself

I'll comment as I see fit.

It would be quicker to tell you what you did good than to comment on what you did horrible.

Having said that I will say that it was good that you never missed the bag.

I help people in here, but helping you would take too many words and too long of a time.

Al3x, bite me ...................Rockin':boxing:

Al3x
10-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Childish much? grow up what are you 10?

Al3x
10-11-2011, 11:41 AM
Not to mention the fact I'm new to boxing, give me a break I've not got any training.

Awaits smart arse comment....

Rockin'
10-11-2011, 12:52 PM
Not to mention the fact I'm new to boxing, give me a break I've not got any training.

Awaits smart arse comment....

You post up a video of you hitting the heavybag and ask for comments.

I tell you not to quit your day job and you tell me to keep my comments to myself.

O.k, I'll give it to you straight. Even though you have no formal training I would still say that you suck. Not one punch that you threw was good. Your left hooks to the body were horendous and so open for a straight right hand to the jaw. Aswell I see little natural ability or atheletic ability in you. Just another guy hitting on a heavybag.

What will you do when you get a trainer and start working the bag and he rips into you because you move like the stereotypical whiteboy throwing punches while leading with your face. If he doesn't chuckle while watching you than you may have improved a bit.

Your a big guy and you move like a big guy, slow and lumbering. Primo Carnerra looked like Joe Louis compared to you.

"You'll never be famous. Who you know famous, your uncle. Look at him now sweeping up hair in a barbershop, You'll never be a step n' fletch." All that you have to do is keep at it and prove me wrong.............Rockin':boxing:

Al3x
10-11-2011, 01:22 PM
Would rather that post than basically slagging me of with no real input, I was looking for help is that a crime now at least I have the balls to post videos and ask for help unlike lots of people on here. Either way I will prove you wrong, soon as I get a boxing gym sorted.

I would say thanks but I'm not really its all well and good you slagging me off ay least offer suggestions on how yo improve, if you have time to post that you have the time to help me out.

Al3x
10-14-2011, 06:44 PM
Got a feeling I may regret posting this hah, new video. Welcome all opinions so long as they have some pointers.

Thanks guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inUyIYiAJyA

Also I noticed a few people mentioned Im too close to the bag, I dont notice this when im hitting the bag but when I watch it back I do notice it, I feel better being closer for some reason. Im still working on that and everything else. I think i may have found a gym and as ive just started a new job I will be able to go around 4 times a week and train at home the other days.

Freelancer
10-14-2011, 07:26 PM
Nah you shouldn't regret posting it, it looks a lot better than the first ones.

You're still leading with your head though, it might give you the impression that it's not exposed since it doesn't stand out high and mighty but you should tuck your chin better, head back, protect the chin with your shoulder as you let go of a punch.

You can add more power to that straight right. You turn your waist well on the uppercuts and hooks but not on the straight right.Pivot more and slightly drop your knees, the back knee goes a bit more on the inside as you punch. It all adds weight when you land it.

The hooks are slow, also try to set up your power shots, no point in throwing them if they have no chance to land. You can try to throw hooks to the body with the elbow in, straight from the waist. Those will be faster and will leave you less exposed untill you can work more on your speed.

It would pay off to hang that bag in a more spacey room or outside where you can work on adjusting distance better and to help you practice moving around it.

Good luck with finding that gym, it will make a ton of diference in your progress and just keep at it.

Al3x
10-14-2011, 07:29 PM
Thanks mate, really helpful post. Green K...

BostonGuy
10-14-2011, 07:58 PM
Here's my two cents:

You need to bend your knees slightly and work on your technique more so than power and speed - which you seem to be focusing exclusively on. So the technique you need is to throw your punches nice and straigth, twisting your fist as it comes close to the target (the bag in this case). You want to also be sure to pull your arms back to a high guard; if you leave your hands out there for too long or their too low then you invite your opponent to counter all night long....

Also another criticism, you kind of telegraph your punches; remedy this by feinting and developing some rhythm....

Positives: You're a tall guy and have a decent reach. You want to learn how to fight tall. For this, work on your jab; you want it to be sharp, crisp and quick. Also if you're fighting tall then you want to work off the jab, so practice the one, one, two; one two one; one two three two; one three one two; etc., etc...

Al3x
10-14-2011, 08:01 PM
Thanks, Hopefully my next video will be after ive had some training and will be alot better.

Green K

Check back in a few weeks maybe less.

leff
10-16-2011, 07:37 AM
focus on expanding your straight punches(if your 6.6 your reach is going to be one your major assets), focus on this while hitting the bag and shadowboxing.

you ned to get more leverage from your lower body, especially is this the case with ypur right hands.
Try to go a coupl of rounds 3-4 times a week while overdoing your leverage, push of with your right leg whan throwing right hands and twist your hip,(i might be that simple that your hips are stiff cause yopur not used to using them).

Do some shadowboxing and focus on your balance and leverage

btw: your improving

Al3x
10-16-2011, 09:37 AM
Thanks mate will giv that a try later tonight, just had a BF% test done and im at 25% which is ALOT lower than I expected. Im assuming its not normal to have 25% BF at 300lbs?? It was done with callipers so its accurate...

Al3x
10-16-2011, 06:10 PM
Made another video today..still trying to find a gym hah... they are either too expensive or too far away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0Dgej7mxbM

Voz de Mando
10-16-2011, 06:21 PM
looking down for some coins? or sum free uppercut for ur purty mouthf???

Al3x
10-16-2011, 06:27 PM
Head down, chin in and eyes up fella..

Bombs
10-16-2011, 06:47 PM
Sometimes I feel like a douche with some things I say but damn Rockin' takes the cake. Look we're not all professional boxers here Rockin' even though I am stronger than half of this forum and have knocked every single person I have fought in my life with just a solid jab thru hard training and work.

Alex you are not bad, you'll get better with practice.We all were starting at some point, we weren't all perfect at driving when we first stepped behind the wheel but after time we got better at it.

My advice: - Go fokking strong. I throw rage and all my hatred with every punch. Destroy the heavy bag as if it enemy. This will develop power and muscle mass and also will help you to burn more calories and get in tighter shape.

- Don't move so much like adviced, this burns energy. If you are power puncher like me you want to conserve energy and just slowly stalk the peasant down and focus energy on throwing godlike punches.

That is all I recommend. Don't make it too complicated, keep it simple. Power and determination.

I hit the wall before I got a heavy bag out of determination to become strong. I DO NOT recommend this at all as it will damage your fists. But to let you know stay determined to improving and determined when you are fighting a weakling.

Also it serves as great workout and exercise = healthier better life.

Wish you best luck my friend!

Freelancer
10-16-2011, 06:56 PM
I see you focused on that *one two* there.

As Leff said, the best way to improve your technique is by shadowboxing. There you can practice a proper stance and a proper way to throw punches. Start in slow motion and always pay attention to your form.

The jab looks decent but as I've said, the straight right needs work.You should get used to rotating your hip as you throw it and bending the knees just a bit.
Also your elbow is way out there. When leting go of the right you want your arm close to your body as much as possible. The forearm rotates as you let go of the punch, not straight away, reaching horizontal position when it hits the bag, actually Bostonguy said it better before me. You need to twist your fist when closer to the target. You lose a lot of power and speed by putting your elbow out straight away and you're easier to counter.

If it helps think of the one two as one continuous move, as you pull you left glove back to your face you imediately let go of the straight right. You probably know this by now but the punch doesn't start from the shoulder, it starts with moving your feet the right way, then your torso and only then the shoulder and arm.

Anyway, hope I made some sense.

Rockin'
10-16-2011, 06:56 PM
Sometimes I feel like a douche with some things I say but damn Rockin' takes the cake. Look we're not all professional boxers here Rockin' even though I am stronger than half of this forum and have knocked every single person I have fought in my life with just a solid jab thru hard training and work.

Thanks for the cake...........Rockin':birthday:

Al3x
10-16-2011, 07:01 PM
Thanks lads, just hoping once I get a gym sorted and a trainer so I can be shown these things on a 1-1 basis as I find it easier to pick things up if I'm shown. Thanks everyone for your helpful comments =)

Rockin'
10-16-2011, 07:08 PM
Sometimes I feel like a douche with some things I say but damn Rockin' takes the cake. Look we're not all professional boxers here Rockin' even though I am stronger than half of this forum and have knocked every single person I have fought in my life with just a solid jab

If you are saying that you knock out every person that you've faced with a solid jab that would just concrete the notion that you haven't fought anyone..........Rockin':boxing:

Al3x
10-16-2011, 07:13 PM
Got any videos of your fight Rockin? When did you fight?

Rockin'
10-16-2011, 07:40 PM
Got any videos of your fight Rockin? When did you fight?

none that I am sure of. My mom might have some.

so, nope no video.

and I fought at every other bell......Rockin':boxing:

Al3x
10-16-2011, 07:45 PM
Oh how long ago was it? whats your record?

Rockin'
10-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Oh how long ago was it? whats your record?

many moons ago........ on my record I have 2 speeding and one peeing in public ticket.................Rockin':boxing:

Rockin'
10-16-2011, 07:53 PM
My name is Elmer J. Fudd, I own a mansion and a yacht...........Rockin':boxing:

Al3x
10-16-2011, 07:57 PM
Was actually interested... not trying to be a twat or nothing fella...

Al3x
11-14-2011, 07:47 PM
http://youtu.be/WCxUpXEy8iQ

Video I made a few weeks ago, still a long way to go I know

Thanks everyone so far.

Al3x
11-29-2011, 03:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewTmsgTWmxM

Latest video guys. Help me out with any pointers =) :boxing:

Dudemanguy
11-29-2011, 06:46 AM
sometimes it looks like you almost step your feet so they are crossed, and the camra is too ****ty to catch your punches. Alot better than the first one though

moneymayforever
11-29-2011, 09:05 AM
do you go to a boxing gym?

Al3x
11-29-2011, 11:54 AM
Thanks mate

No I don't have a gym mate struggling to find one that's accessible where I live, have found a few but they aren't open all day and I'm either working or going to my other job from 5pm till 6 am the next day. The only times i can go to a gym is between 6am and 4pm but i need to sleep in that time hah.

Al3x
12-03-2011, 08:44 PM
anyone know of any good boxing gyms in the west midlands..

Al3x
12-24-2011, 11:56 AM
Its been a while.... merry Christmas eve all. I wanted to workout today but after 2 1/2 rounds (I normally do 3 to warmup) I had no energy at all even before I started when I was getting ready I didn't feel up to it hah.... Ive never had this feeling to the point where I couldn't lift my hands. I suppose it could be a result of my long hours at work over the past few weeks but not sure. If anyone has an insight if they had a similar issue please let me know.

Maybe i should look at taking some sups or something. Could it be that Ive been drinking energy drinks over the last few weeks every night ( as i work nights ) and I haven't today....

Thanks guys and have a great new year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVXZAOcFVbw&feature=youtu.be

^^^^^

Made this today ( don't rip me a new one i know its lame hah )

Redd Foxx
12-24-2011, 01:46 PM
When you throw, you're lifting your back foot almost completely off which will rob you of power and leave you off balance when you get countered. Instead of throwing yourself forward, anchor a little more and let that power come from the floor (sit down on your punches).
Also, you're offering your head in a big way when you strike, sticking it way out there. That makes it really easy for someone to counter you. Use your reach and keep that head safe.
I like that your hands return pretty quickly so keep that up.

Regarding energy, it sounds like you have that one figured out. Work will do that to you. Props for continuing to train though. Eat well and try some moderate supplementation.

Al3x
12-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Cheers mate, will try and correct those mistakes, not making any excuses but i think my issues were worse today than normally due to how drained I was, I really couldn't be bothered hah.

Whats supps would you recommend, It could also do with help with my diet at the minute I just eat whatever I want so long as Im under 2000 calories. Which is dropping the weight but probably isnt giving me good energy.

Looking to join a gym once i get sub 270 - Im sitting at 290 atm ( down from 354)

leff
12-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Cheers mate, will try and correct those mistakes, not making any excuses but i think my issues were worse today than normally due to how drained I was, I really couldn't be bothered hah.

Whats supps would you recommend, It could also do with help with my diet at the minute I just eat whatever I want so long as Im under 2000 calories. Which is dropping the weight but probably isnt giving me good energy.

Looking to join a gym once i get sub 270 - Im sitting at 290 atm ( down from 354)
klnolnknj

why wait?

dan_cov
12-25-2011, 08:31 AM
anyone know of any good boxing gyms in the west midlands..

Where is the west midlands? quite a big area like but I am from Coventry & can recommend a few decent gyms local

Al3x
12-25-2011, 09:06 AM
I would just rather get fitter and then join one, I'm in Staffordshire btw mate. Merry crimbo all....

I may go and find one next week as I've got a week off work.

Wannabeboxer
12-25-2011, 10:31 AM
Mate, how old are you??
I am at a gym in Stafford :)

Al3x
12-25-2011, 10:59 AM
21 mate, where is the gym in Stafford? What is it called and is it any good?

Wannabeboxer
12-26-2011, 06:34 AM
Its close to the prison, Its called the right stuff gym , add them on facebook and have a chat with some of the blokes?

Al3x
12-26-2011, 09:07 AM
Cheers mate but I need one that's open in the morning/ afternoon and more often, thanks anyway.

Alex

Al3x
03-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Hey guys, its been a while... the vid isnt great as i cant find a spot to put the phone where its far enough away to see feet...ah well will do for now..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSt7JpDr9EY&feature=youtu.be

wade182
03-29-2012, 09:12 PM
Do you train at a gym? I can't see your feet in that last vid, but everything you are throwing with your right is kinda bad. You don't seem to be using your hips at all, and your leaning in every time you use your right, and you are off balance every time as well. You don't seem to have any technique, you need to learn proper form if you plan on getting in the ring, you look like a big boy, and I'm sure you've got some power but honestly you aren't going to touch anyone with anything other than your jab, and once you throw that right leaning in like that the chances of you being knocked down by a counter are very high.

Al3x
03-31-2012, 07:03 PM
Nope I dont train at a gym, just at home. I cant afford it, I cant find a gym near me that suits my needs... I just want one thats open in the daytime as i work nights so like 9-5 would suit me and where someone will give me some 1-on-1 training. Anything I can do, which is very little I have tried to teach myself. I need someone with me who can correct my mistakes.. I will keep looking :D

Thanks for the tips.

Redd Foxx
03-31-2012, 08:27 PM
Hey guys, its been a while... the vid isnt great as i cant find a spot to put the phone where its far enough away to see feet...ah well will do for now..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSt7JpDr9EY&feature=youtu.be

Getting better, man. Leaning forward a bit, as if you're in an MMA fight and you're ready to sprawl against a takedown. Keeping your head offered out front like that is asking for trouble, IMO. You're good at keeping your chin down, just don't keep your head over your right knee. Also, it's hard to get power in that right hand when there's no weight on the right foot.