View Full Version : How to increase arm stamina?

SUPREME.
08-29-2011, 09:22 PM
Whenever i'm sparring with 16 oz gloves on, my shoulders and biceps always feel like noodles after like 2 rounds.

I keep my hands sky high like Winky Wright because I think I'm cursed with a glass chin.

And that style suits me very well, aside from the obvious fact that I can't keep my hands up after a while.

I'm doing work on the speed bag for arm stamina, and medicine ball training, also your standard floorwork.

Any other tips?

..El Chacal..
08-29-2011, 09:29 PM
Whenever i'm sparring with 16 oz gloves on, my shoulders and biceps always feel like noodles after like 2 rounds.

I keep my hands sky high like Winky Wright because I think I'm cursed with a glass chin.

And that style suits me very well, aside from the obvious fact that I can't keep my hands up after a while.

I'm doing work on the speed bag for arm stamina, and medicine ball training, also your standard floorwork.

Any other tips?

plenty of things you can do,

one you can build it by having your coach do a full round with 30 sec intervals of one-two's and switching to uppercuts, for about 3 rounds at a time til you build the endurance for more, if the coach isn't available do it on a heavy bag, make short snappy one-two's non-stop for a round straight, and break for 30 sec. and keep going, also gotta make sure you master your breathing.

another thing that's quite unique that I have my guys do is sit down indian style and punch in a one-two sequence upward, that builds shoulder endurance.

some examples for you to try

ChowAce
08-30-2011, 04:34 AM
A lot of stamina come from having strong shoulders. There are many exercises you could do like pull ups (different variations focus more on your back/shoulders) to increase your stamina when throwing punches.

Mohammedini
08-31-2011, 06:26 PM

Any other tips?Shadow box everyday at home at full speed. That is how I got much better stamina in my arms. 10 to 15 min everyday at home while you watch tv or listen to your mp3. In a couple of weeks you will have god like endurance in your arms. Btw how do you know you have a glass chin? there are a couple of ways you can strengthen your chin. by building up your neck, chew 3 to 5 chewing gums at the same time to strengthen your jaw. Another jaw exercise you look up at the ceiling and open and close your mouth. Neck training should be enough but a strong jaw will make you less likely to get KO'd by a shot to the chin

ghns1133
08-31-2011, 06:43 PM
learning to realx and control your breath in the ring and getting into the zone, so to speak, will help with your stamina big time....

sounds like some starwars jedi voodoo but being relxed in there will help with everything....

fata$$ james toney who eats mcdonalds all day and probably hasnt doen road work since he was at smw can go twelve rounds and not have a heart attack because of the way he i able to relax in there....

it will help your sense of anticipation for defense and offense too.

Mohammedini
08-31-2011, 06:47 PM
learning to realx and control your breath in the ring and getting into the zone, so to speak, will help with your stamina big time....

sounds like some starwars jedi voodoo but being relxed in there will help with everything....

fata$$ james toney who eats mcdonalds all day and probably hasnt doen road work since he was at smw can go twelve rounds and not have a heart attack because of the way he i able to relax in there....

it will help your sense of anticipation for defense and offense too. Good point! one thing I think about when I sparr is to relax my shoulders. that is the most importent thing. Relax your shoulders then your whole body usually gets relaxed. Tense shoulders=stiff punches, tense back/neck, energy draining.

ghns1133
08-31-2011, 06:57 PM
also you can see all the punches and roll with them when relaxed....

if its hard to do at first it will take time and experience....

also fealling confident and loose will help

some deap breathing excercises that will help you relax:

inhale all the way in and expand your stomach and exhale...

allot of people breath backwards and pull ther stomach in on the inhale and they dont get the oxygen to the lower part of the lungs which is important(for some reason i forgot)

if your up for it yoga and meditation works if you have time for it even if yo think its silly might be worth a try :)

TheHolyCross
08-31-2011, 07:11 PM
throw nonstop punches(heavybag or just thin air) without an interval for atleast 3 minutes, build it up when you're feelin ****y, set a goal for yourself and let it burn baby, let it burn

ghns1133
08-31-2011, 07:20 PM
throw nonstop punches(heavybag or just thin air) without an interval for atleast 3 minutes, build it up when you're feelin ****y, set a goal for yourself and let it burn baby, let it burn

this too! ^^^^^

dannnnn
08-31-2011, 08:07 PM
This might help. I do it at home and it's a good little workout.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oVRDcGT37Ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Josh_Shing
08-31-2011, 09:45 PM
^Hey yah i do that at home. It really helps a lot and it conditions your arms like crazy. But shadow boxing while controlling your breathing and staying relaxed are all good and important things to remember. Throwing more from the hip instead of arm punches are important to remember as well. Other than that, it's really just practice practice and pushing yourself beyond that uncomfortable line.

cja07007
09-01-2011, 12:15 AM
This might help. I do it at home and it's a good little workout.

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/oVRDcGT37Ys" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Great workout.

Mohammedini
09-01-2011, 02:44 AM
throw nonstop punches(heavybag or just thin air) without an interval for atleast 3 minutes, build it up when you're feelin ****y, set a goal for yourself and let it burn baby, let it burn aka shadowboxing. That is exactly what I said bro why youundercutting me like that? ;)

Rockin'
09-01-2011, 04:45 AM
arm stamina? see thread entitled "boy masterbates 43 times in a row......"........Rockin':boxing:

squealpiggy
09-01-2011, 05:00 AM
Also wanking.

SUPREME.
09-03-2011, 04:23 PM
Rockin, I figured with the respectable knowledge that you posses that you would give a legit answer instead of a childish irrelevant one. I'm kind of disappointed.

Thanks to everyone else especially dannnnn for the video.

Al3x
09-03-2011, 04:35 PM
I do that youtube video aswell, I was just looking for it to post on this thread then I realised someone beat me to it hah.

Its VERY good after about 2 weeks of it my stamina has gone up so much...

Mohammedini
09-05-2011, 02:07 PM
Rockin, I figured with the respectable knowledge that you posses that you would give a legit answer instead of a childish irrelevant one. I'm kind of disappointed.

Thanks to everyone else especially dannnnn for the video. Irrelevant like what? Following a youtube drill isn't easier then shadowboxing 5-15 min a day. If you do constant full speed shadowboxing you are going to refine your technique, increase your speed, improve your combination punching and arm stamina. As Ghn said, a relaxed body is very important to not gas yourself out. Have relaxed shoulders or your punches will be stiff and your arms will get tired. Also you might arm punch to much. Maybe you should us more then one tips to fix the problem.

THE REED™
09-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Do bag work with 16 oz gloves.

If you're having problems boxing with bigger gloves, then train with them.

mr.thraz
09-05-2011, 03:44 PM
speed bag!!!

punchDrUnK MONK
09-05-2011, 05:12 PM
bagwork. shadowboxing, shadowboxing with dumbells 8 pounds or less each.. work hard

Rockin'
09-06-2011, 12:09 AM

Thanks to everyone else especially dannnnn for the video.

gee, a guy can't even joke around here any more.

Fine, you want to build your arms for some stamina then do this.

Find a heavybag, when the bell rings start punching. When the bell rings again stop punching. These punches are all at your eye level and you do not stop punching until that bell rings. Throw hooks, straight shots, uppercuts I dont care just dont stop punching. 3 rounds of that.

When you finish the 3 rounds then you will do a 4th round but it will be done like this. Find that heavy bag (the heavier the better) and start shooting 1-2 1-2 1-2 into the bag while pushing the bag straight back. Now the bag should be at about a 30' angle to the floor. Throwing 1-2 1-2 etc you must keep that bag at that 30' angle. You will have to use your legs in these punches and your **** will burn and you will swear that one of your arms is going to fall off, but don't stop punching. When you can hold that bag at the 30' angle for 4 rounds straight then you will have some of the stamina that you desire. When you can do that get back to me and we'll move further......Rockin':boxing:

Randoh
09-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Something that I do every day that we have in our school's weight training room that has really improved my arm stamina is rope drills.

I would post a link to a youtube video, but I apparently can't because I haven't posted much, but a good example I found is "The Challenge of Ropes".

I do 2-3 sets of these after an upper body workout, going 15 seconds of 5 different things, and my arms usually feel dead. Of course if you're going at it fresh or are just more fit than I am you can do more, or just go really hard at it.