View Full Version : Why is my left hook so bad?

Akhi
08-27-2011, 01:59 PM
I can't for the life of me throw a decent left hook, to the body or to the head. When I'm shadowboxing or hitting a bad it's OK, but in sparring I can count the number of hooks ive landed on one hand.

I'm not doing too bad without it, but it's just weird having an entire punch completely missing from your arsenal.

My stance is really back-foot heavy, is this why?

ChowAce
08-27-2011, 02:08 PM
You said it yourself, your stance is really back foot heavy. You have to shift your weight to the front foot more when you throw your left hooks. The left hook is also the most unnatural punch to throw, could be another reason why you feel like your left hook is bad.

Akhi
08-27-2011, 02:29 PM
thanks

having to redistribute your weight every time you want to throw 1 punch will be annoying but i guess with practice it'll feel more natural

any tips on the long hook? that ones terrible no matter what I'm doing. at least I can generate power on the short hook, my long hook is more like a arm swing...slow as **** too

Spiegelo
08-27-2011, 02:58 PM
thanks

having to redistribute your weight every time you want to throw 1 punch will be annoying but i guess with practice it'll feel more natural

any tips on the long hook? that ones terrible no matter what I'm doing. at least I can generate power on the short hook, my long hook is more like a arm swing...slow as **** too

Yeah man that is by far the hardest punch to throw. It takes a long time for it not to look like a calzaghe slap. Shadow box and throw that punch a lot on the heavy and double end bag. And then there's having your coach correct/make fun of you every time you hit the pads to make you slowly get better. Basically what I'm saying is, practice practice practice!

Spiegelo
08-27-2011, 03:00 PM
Also it sounds like you have poor balance. A backfoot heavy stance means your footwork needs work as well. Don't put your weight in your heel, stay on the balls of your feet.

sugersean15
08-27-2011, 03:02 PM
step in whit it and faint a right hand first

Spiegelo
08-27-2011, 03:21 PM
step in whit it and faint a right hand first

Yeah the feint right/Left hook is a nice trick every once in a while, but you don't want someone with poor balance needing to feint or throw the right every time to shift his weight, just so he can throw the left. If it's something you do out of necessity, then you have a problem. A good example of this is Tito. Once Oscar noticed this, BHop and Winky saw it too, and he couldn't win more than 1 round against either man.

Akhi
08-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Also it sounds like you have poor balance. A backfoot heavy stance means your footwork needs work as well. Don't put your weight in your heel, stay on the balls of your feet.

my coach says i should stay on my backfoot so i can use my height better..he's a euro type trainer: stand tall, lean back slightly, stick with 1-2's, etc.

your right about needing to throw the right, I can ONLY throw it after pivotting with my right foot after a 1-2

hearns had a nice hook for a tall guy...and he could throw it to the body while still being a 'boxer'. thats what i want

de la hoya's is nice too:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Da_MqP09XMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Spiegelo
08-27-2011, 05:02 PM
my coach says i should stay on my backfoot so i can use my height better..he's a euro type trainer: stand tall, lean back slightly, stick with 1-2's, etc.

your right about needing to throw the right, I can ONLY throw it after pivotting with my right foot after a 1-2

hearns had a nice hook for a tall guy...and he could throw it to the body while still being a 'boxer'. thats what i want

de la hoya's is nice too:

<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Da_MqP09XMs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Ah I've got a diff frame so it's a diff story for me. I fight with a more traditional knees bent stance. In that case, like you said watch fighters who fought tall and throw decent hooks like Ali and Hearns. Even Klitschko has a pretty decent left hook when he opts to throw it.

Oscar however bends his knees and hooks off the slip a lot, plus he's left handed, so while his left hook is a thing of beauty it wouldn't relate to your style so much.

.WaRCoTTo.
08-27-2011, 09:16 PM
Actually the left hook is best when the weight of your body is distributed to the back foot, the torque from your hips down to your front foot are KEY!...

mr.thraz
08-28-2011, 12:54 AM
yeah but your weight has to go to the back foot with the hook. if your weight is already there then your throwing an arm punch.

Trinidad kept all his weight on his front foot so his balance sucked (as evidenced by all the flash knockdowns he had in his career) but when he hooked all his weight went with it. (which is why most of the guys who knocked him down got knocked out a round later.)

.WaRCoTTo.
08-28-2011, 11:22 AM
yeah but your weight has to go to the back foot with the hook. if your weight is already there then your throwing an arm punch.

Trinidad kept all his weight on his front foot so his balance sucked (as evidenced by all the flash knockdowns he had in his career) but when he hooked all his weight went with it. (which is why most of the guys who knocked him down got knocked out a round later.)

This^^

That's why a left hook is typically thrown after the straight right, where your weight should be primarily in your front foot, then you shift the weight to the back foot to throw the "3"..left hook

mr.thraz
08-28-2011, 03:54 PM
yes sir!

the right and left-hook work well together (like pb&j) for this reason.

the right unbalances you to your left, lending power to your hook.

the left-hook unbalances you to your right, lending power to your right hand.

its a good rule to follow and is the place to start when your experimenting with ghost notes and feint.

Mohammedini
08-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Ey Akhi! I used to have the same problem but I drilled the sh1t out of it and now its my favorite punch. For a while my ajb got really bad from all the left hooks I was throwing. Remember relax and do it slow until you get it. repetition is the key. Many people give up on the punch cuz it feels awkward but in a couple of /a month(for me cuz I'm a ****ing genius ^^) and your left hook will be the sh1t. Train the palm down left hook and pivot with your left foot when you throw it. Palm down is the best way to develop the torque in your hook. Also the best way to include a left hook in a combo is a straight right hand. So train the 2-3 combo a lot when you shadow box. Look up videos on youtube. Relax your shoulders when you throw it . If you are stiff you throw funny looking lefthooks. Look at joe fraizer how relaxed he was in his shoulders.

setza
08-29-2011, 07:29 PM
You said it yourself, your stance is really back foot heavy. You have to shift your weight to the front foot more when you throw your left hooks. The left hook is also the most unnatural punch to throw, could be another reason why you feel like your left hook is bad.

How is the most unnatural punch to throw ? it should come fluidly if your practising your combos, for example: throwing a 1 - 2 followed by a left hook then a right upercut or what ever.. it depends also if your trainer is making you throw a lot of left hooks when your doing pads, just practise alot on shadow boxing and just make sure your imaganing that your hitting someone with that left while shadow boxing and after time it will come naturally as they come.. like me my trainer never tought me to throw a right hook properly so when i get in their with another trainer asking me to throw a right hook it feels so weird even though its my strongest hand but i guess thats where the practising comes into play

Mohammedini
08-30-2011, 01:31 PM
How is the most unnatural punch to throw ? it should come fluidly if your practising your combos, for example: throwing a 1 - 2 followed by a left hook then a right upercut or what ever.. it depends also if your trainer is making you throw a lot of left hooks when your doing pads, just practise alot on shadow boxing and just make sure your imaganing that your hitting someone with that left while shadow boxing and after time it will come naturally as they come.. like me my trainer never tought me to throw a right hook properly so when i get in their with another trainer asking me to throw a right hook it feels so weird even though its my strongest hand but i guess thats where the practising comes into play
Never end a combination with a uppercut.
That is how Thomas Hearns lost the first fight with SRL

Rockin'
08-30-2011, 10:00 PM
You have to shift your weight to the front foot more when you throw your left hooks.

not completely true.

When I would roll in with the 1-2-hook my weight would come forward on the right hand and then I'd shift my weight to the back foot while pulling a hook. It generates some great power..........Rockin':boxing:

setza
08-30-2011, 10:07 PM
Never end a combination with a uppercut.
That is how Thomas Hearns lost the first fight with SRL

it depends on the persons ability and distance really, plus I was just giving him examples of combos to fluidly practice on the left hook just giving him extra ideas on how to go on from there.

mr.thraz
08-30-2011, 11:53 PM
not completely true.

When I would roll in with the 1-2-hook my weight would come forward on the right hand and then I'd shift my weight to the back foot while pulling a hook. It generates some great power..........Rockin':boxing:

would you show some video?

Doctor_Tenma
08-31-2011, 12:24 AM
This is my main issue too, from the southpaw stance I can throw a quick lead right hand, but I'm actually a conventional fighter, I'm right handed, and no matter how many times I practice, I can't throw a lead left hook. That's why I sometimes go southpaw, to try to replicate what I'm doing in that stance that I'm not orthodox. I can double up on my left hook if my opponent stands still for me, or if I have him cornered but as soon as he decides to move, my arsenal of punches shortens....

Mohammedini
08-31-2011, 12:33 AM
it depends on the persons ability and distance really, plus I was just giving him examples of combos to fluidly practice on the left hook just giving him extra ideas on how to go on from there. You gave good tips bro, just dangerous to end with a uppercut but I see what you mean. It was just an example, but you gave good advice

mr.thraz
08-31-2011, 02:27 AM
not completely true.

nvr mind, i see what your saying.