View Full Version : Cleto Reyes..

XxLeftHook_
08-27-2011, 12:47 PM
I need to buy some new boxing gloves for an upcoming match I have next week. I need some 10oz for the bout and 12oz for sparring (a low life stole both pairs in my gym) Does anyone know a reliable website where they sell CLETO REYES gloves in yellow (yes in yellow I'm superstitious about the color) or better yet a actual store that carries them In the Dallas, TX area..

Only Cleto Reyes Brand

Spiegelo
08-27-2011, 12:51 PM
I need to buy some new boxing gloves for an upcoming match I have next week. I need some 10oz for the bout and 12oz for sparring (a low life stole both pairs in my gym) Does anyone know a reliable website where they sell CLETO REYES gloves in yellow (yes in yellow I'm superstitious about the color) or better yet a actual store that carries them In the Dallas, TX area..

Only Cleto Reyes Brand

What?? You a pro or something? Why are you sparring in 12oz and so close to the fight? You doing all out sparring or defensive drills? I get all my gear from ringside.com.

XxLeftHook_
08-27-2011, 01:05 PM
What?? You a pro or something? Why are you sparring in 12oz and so close to the fight? You doing all out sparring or defensive drills? I get all my gear from ringside.com.

What's up my black friend! noo not a pro **** I wish lol Idk my coach likes for us to spar with 12oz gloves, and everything is happening fast due to a miscommunication we thought the match was for next month so I have a week to get ready, my cardio is good I run 5 miles every day but defense is a little rusty ( reflexes are too slow )
I'll check that site out

Bullrush
08-27-2011, 01:18 PM
well you cant use cleto reyes gloves in the amateurs. you need gloves with a white fist area in the front if youre in the amateurs

XxLeftHook_
08-27-2011, 01:23 PM
well you cant use cleto reyes gloves in the amateurs. you need gloves with a white fist area in the front if youre in the amateurs

Are you sure? Mostly every one that I've seen uses solid colors blue and black and for some reason they use Ringside brand

SPANKY LA
08-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Try this website gupohamd.com

Bullrush
08-27-2011, 01:37 PM
im 100% sure, i guess you were watching exhibition fights maybe? they werent official amateur bouts though. in the amateurs like i said you need a white fist area, also theres only 2 colors (corners), red and blue. so you cant really show up with yellow gloves either, they have to be either blue or red, they are very strict about everything (AIBA / USA BOXING). cleto reyes does have some amateur/olympic gloves but i dont think theyre worth the money. check out this site, those are competition gloves:

http://www.boundboxing.com/amateur-boxing-gloves.html

the cleto reyes description says:Made of real cowhide leather, and also has the white pigmented area required by AIBA

the same thing goes for the headgear basically (open face only, blue or red). so you cant show up with a custom winning fg 2900 or something like that

hope this helped save you some cash :dance:

SPANKY LA
08-27-2011, 01:37 PM
correction grupohamd.com

Spiegelo
08-27-2011, 02:56 PM
im 100% sure, i guess you were watching exhibition fights maybe? they werent official amateur bouts though. in the amateurs like i said you need a white fist area, also theres only 2 colors (corners), red and blue. so you cant really show up with yellow gloves either, they have to be either blue or red, they are very strict about everything (AIBA / USA BOXING). cleto reyes does have some amateur/olympic gloves but i dont think theyre worth the money. check out this site, those are competition gloves:

the cleto reyes description says:

the same thing goes for the headgear basically (open face only, blue or red). so you cant show up with a custom winning fg 2900 or something like that

Nah that's not the case anymore. The NY Golden Gloves used solid colors this year for the first time that I've ever seen, and a couple tournaments use solids as well. Either way I've never heard of a tournament making everyone bring in their own gloves. Even the Reyes tournaments usually provide you w gloves and deck you out with their gear if you win. I don't know about your coach dude.. I spar in 18s, 16's if it's someone not from my gym. Even in Philly, which is famous for "gym wars" and sparring that gets way too rough, 12s are not common. Bad for your hands, bad for your face.

Bullrush
08-27-2011, 03:55 PM
i checked some 2011 golden loves vids on youtube and they're all wearing the gloves with the white fist so im not sure what you mean. youre required to wear these, it says it in the rulebook, you should read it first, has nothing to do with my coach.

but thats not really the point, even if youre allowed to compete with all black or blue gloves, that doesnt mean youre allowed to use reyes pro fight gloves in the amateurs. and i never said you have to bring your own gear, not sure where you got that from.

Spiegelo
08-27-2011, 04:36 PM
i checked some 2011 golden loves vids on youtube and they're all wearing the gloves with the white fist so im not sure what you mean. youre required to wear these, it says it in the rulebook, you should read it first, has nothing to do with my coach.

but thats not really the point, even if youre allowed to compete with all black or blue gloves, that doesnt mean youre allowed to use reyes pro fight gloves in the amateurs. and i never said you have to bring your own gear, not sure where you got that from.

I don't know what you're talking about or what videos you think you watched, I was at the gloves. Here's a vid of Marcus Browne (who looks to be heading to the Olympics) beating Regional Semi Finalist Devaun Lee.
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yhbPmV1LVPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And the 2nd part of my post was in response to Left Hook, so sorry for any confusion there. I know you don't compete w pro gloves. My point was that he should be competing in 12 oz gloves, not 10, and that they should supply his gloves so he doesn't need to purchase them. Also, if you're fighting in a week, shouldn't you already have sparring gloves?

Edit: Ah I just saw someone stole your gear. How did that happen?? Someone in your gym did it?

Bullrush
08-27-2011, 04:49 PM
I don't know what you're talking about or what videos you think you watched, I was at the gloves. Here's a vid of Marcus Browne (who looks to be heading to the Olympics) beating Regional Semi Finalist Devaun Lee.
<iframe width="420" height="345" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/yhbPmV1LVPE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
first of all i was talking about the dozens of videos you are obviously ignoring. secondly the guy doesnt fight in new york. thirdly even if he did the point is he cant use reyes pro fight gloves in the amateurs

El.Naranjito707
08-27-2011, 04:54 PM
Cleto Reyes has Amature gloves. I use them and they are amazing. I bought em off ebay a while ago and they were pretty expensive...Im looking to get some more when I head down to Mexico.

Spiegelo
08-27-2011, 04:56 PM
first of all i was talking about the dozens of videos you are obviously ignoring. secondly the guy doesnt fight in new york. thirdly even if he did the point is he cant use reyes pro fight gloves in the amateurs
What dozens of videos? You claimed that you can't fight with gloves that don't have white tips, and I stated that NY started fighting with solid colors before you got all snobby because you read the rules. Congratulations on reading the short ass rule section in the back of your book. I didn't state he lived in NY, or that NY hasn't used white tipped gloves in the past, because they have. Again I simply said that you CAN (and already proved it because apparently my word wasn't enough) use solid color gloves. And to your last point, I never stated he could use reyes pro gloves,all I did was add to the fact that they should supply his gloves and that I think he'd need diff sized gloves.

Spiegelo
08-27-2011, 04:56 PM
Cleto Reyes has Amature gloves. I use them and they are amazing. I bought em off ebay a while ago and they were pretty expensive...Im looking to get some more when I head down to Mexico.

Do they hurt your thumb? How do they compare to the typical Everlast gloves most people fight in?

oniham
08-27-2011, 09:42 PM
Yeah I haven't had a fight since October last year but at all the events I went to they supplied the gloves.

XxLeftHook_
08-27-2011, 10:01 PM

the cleto reyes description says:

Thanks for the website, and yea you were right about the white gloves with the white tip I just checked with my coach, but they don't provide them for you.

XxLeftHook_
08-27-2011, 10:04 PM

I heard they cost about 30%-40% cheaper down there, I'm telling my grandparents to send me some for sure lol

XxLeftHook_
08-27-2011, 10:11 PM
Nah that's not the case anymore. The NY Golden Gloves used solid colors this year for the first time that I've ever seen, and a couple tournaments use solids as well. Either way I've never heard of a tournament making everyone bring in their own gloves. Even the Reyes tournaments usually provide you w gloves and deck you out with their gear if you win. I don't know about your coach dude.. I spar in 18s, 16's if it's someone not from my gym. Even in Philly, which is famous for "gym wars" and sparring that gets way too rough, 12s are not common. Bad for your hands, bad for your face.

lol Idk I think my coach acts like a crackhead sometimes, we always spar using 12 oz when I see other coaches tell their trainees to use 16oz 18oz and to top it off the head gear we use is ****ing thin, similar to head gears from the 1920's. Naw but overall he is a good coach I can't complain...Aye is there a headgear that protects your nose? similar to the one canelo alvarez and pacquiao use ?

El.Naranjito707
08-27-2011, 10:14 PM
Do they hurt your thumb? How do they compare to the typical Everlast gloves most people fight in?
They dont hurt mine at all. Try wrapping your hands differently see if it helps. And for me I love it more than everlast. I am a power puncher so they are just what I need.

I heard they cost about 30%-40% cheaper down there, I'm telling my grandparents to send me some for sure lol

Yeah I plan on buying a lot of gear when I go down there. Sucks that I am living in Canada right now (I've lived in the U.S. until I was 22). Everything here is expensive...the U.S. is cheaper and Mexico even cheaper...can't wait to move back to Cali.

raf727
08-28-2011, 12:18 AM
Ive seen it done both ways, the gym I started at we always sparred with 16 or 18's but I ended up moving and these guys all use 12s because thats what we fight with.

Its like anything else in boxing, it all depends on where you go, but I cant believe theyre not supplying you with fight gloves at the tournament

Bullrush
08-28-2011, 04:23 AM
Thanks for the website, and yea you were right about the white gloves with the white tip I just checked with my coach, but they don't provide them for you.
well one of them has to. either your gym or the promoter of the event. they have to supply you with a pair of gloves and a headgear.

RULE 3. GLOVES
3.1. All AIBA Approved Events must use gloves manufactured by one of the AIBA Official Boxing
Equipment Licensees.
3.2. Boxers shall wear red or blue gloves, as per the respective Boxer’s corner.
3.3. At all AIBA Approved Events, the gloves have to be provided by the Organizing Committee and have to be approved by the Technical Delegate. Boxers are not allowed to wear their own gloves.
3.4. Boxers shall put on their boxing gloves before entering the ring.
3.5. The gloves shall be taken off immediately after the bout is over and before the decision is announced.
3.6. The padding of the gloves shall not be displaced or broken.
3.7. Only clean and serviceable gloves shall be used.
3.8. Specifications
3.8.1. Detailed specifications on boxing gloves can be found in the Glove and Headguards
Specifications and Guidelines in Appendix J.
RULE 4. HEADGUARDS
4.1. At all AIBA Approved Events, Boxers must use headguards manufactured by one of the AIBA Official Boxing Equipment Licensees.
4.2. The use of a headguard is mandatory.
4.3. Boxers shall wear red or blue headguards, as per the respective Boxer’s corner.
Technical & Competition Rules 30 T&C
rules august 2011 v7
4.4. At all AIBA Approved Events, the headguards have to be provided by the Organizing Committee and have to be approved by the Technical Delegate. Boxers are not allowed to wear their own
headguard.
4.5. Boxers shall put their headguard on only after entering the ring.
4.6. Headguards shall be taken off immediately after the bout is over and before the decision is announced.
4.7. Specifications
4.7.1. Detailed specifications on headguards can be found in the Equipment Guidelines in
Appendix J.
you should check with your coach again and ask, because somebody will have to supply the headgears and the gloves, youre not supposed to buy 2 pairs of gloves (red & blue) and 2 pairs of headgears (red & blue). nobody can afford that, and you have to get new ones regularly

i think they used to let you bring your own gloves (AIBA approved, so only the everlast, ringside etc stuff) but i guess they stopped doing that for safety reasons

BG_Knocc_Out
08-28-2011, 05:06 AM
I've never seen someone use their own gloves. They always supply them, at least here in the midwest (if that even matters). But here, we're able to use our own headgear if it's USA Boxing approved. My only guess is that these events where they are wearing their own gloves, even outside the standard red and blue, could be similar events to The World Series of Boxing. There, they use their own gloves and they use ****ing exposed hook & loop style. How they were able to deem that safe, I have idea haha.

XxLeftHook_
08-28-2011, 01:09 PM
They dont hurt mine at all. Try wrapping your hands differently see if it helps. And for me I love it more than everlast. I am a power puncher so they are just what I need.

Yeah I plan on buying a lot of gear when I go down there. Sucks that I am living in Canada right now (I've lived in the U.S. until I was 22). Everything here is expensive...the U.S. is cheaper and Mexico even cheaper...can't wait to move back to Cali.

Damn that's kinda funny a Mexican living in Canada lol How did you end up going down there? Naw I'm telling my grandparents to send me some with some gear too, I'm not risking it by going down there **** is too crazy with the zetas and all the drug cartels right now

Spiegelo
08-28-2011, 09:13 PM
well one of them has to. either your gym or the promoter of the event. they have to supply you with a pair of gloves and a headgear.

you should check with your coach again and ask, because somebody will have to supply the headgears and the gloves, youre not supposed to buy 2 pairs of gloves (red & blue) and 2 pairs of headgears (red & blue). nobody can afford that, and you have to get new ones regularly

i think they used to let you bring your own gloves (AIBA approved, so only the everlast, ringside etc stuff) but i guess they stopped doing that for safety reasons

Not everything in those rules be up to date. Some amateur bouts and even tournaments allow you to bring in your own headgear until you get to the finals.

El.Naranjito707
08-28-2011, 09:23 PM
Damn that's kinda funny a Mexican living in Canada lol How did you end up going down there? Naw I'm telling my grandparents to send me some with some gear too, I'm not risking it by going down there **** is too crazy with the zetas and all the drug cartels right now

Mydaughter is here so im here for her. But in Mexico it isnt as bad as the news makes out out to be. I know some white guys that went down to some places that werent tourist places and they said it was calm.