View Full Version : Personal favorite knockdowns/knockouts?

Skydog
10-16-2005, 09:35 PM
I gotta go with Ali's 3rd knockdown against Cleveland Williams. It's so perfectly executed: a straight right, a straight left, a searing left hook, and a perfect right that nails Williams right on the head.

My least favorite knockdown is the one Foreman hits Frazier with when Frazier walks away and Foreman deliberately hits him right on the back of the head (however, it is one of the most brutal knockdowns ever!)

j
10-17-2005, 05:36 PM
hard to say just one or two. i have many favorite kockdowns and ko's.

johnson ko'ing ketchel was damn brutal. jack had stanley's front teeth imbedded in his left glove. ketchel was out cold. johnsons beatdown of tommy burns and the boilermaker jim jeffries was sweet as well. too bad sam langford never got the chances jack did. sam would've made a ruckus as well.

dempsey whooping jess willard's ass was classic. he was all over willard like a swarm of killer bees. you do have to remember though, that back in those days, there was no neutral corner rule and you could basically hover over your opponents as they get up.

max schmeling's 12 round ko over joe louis was nice. schmeling showed how a smart technical fighter can beat a possibly more athletically sound fighter with perhaps better overall punching power.

marciano's ko win over my man jersey joe was a hell of a fight. i always liked jersey joe, so to me it sucks that he lost. joe was not exactly young when they fought either. walcott was the first man to ever knock down marciano. and had beaten him up until that timeless 13th round, when rocky landed a clean right that sent walcott into the ropes. ahh, that was a great fight.

tszyu's ko of zab judah. i always love when the ****y **** talking fighter gets his ass whooped. as tszyu said after the fight, if judah would've leaned in one more inch, it would've been total lights out. so, i guess by kostya saying that, means that he didn't land the punch 100%. and indeed it looks as though he is right.

vitali klitschko beating kirk johnson's ass. many people were thinking that klitschko's great performance in the lewis fight was all lewis' fault for one reason or another. klitschko took lennox's original hand picked title defense out in 2 rounds that december.

castillo/corralles. great fight overall. classic finish. seemed like both fighters were completely equal in the fight. in my opinion, there was no loser or winner. they both contributed to making it one of the most entertaining fights in the last decade.

i'll name some more great ko victories later.

Imira
10-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Jersey Joe Walcott's 7th round KO of Ezzard Charles. Walcott simply walks up to Charles, Charles throws a jab and gets caught beautifully with a picture perfect left hook.

i always liked jersey joe, so to me it sucks that he lost.

;) We can be friends. I'm a huge fan of Jersey Joe as well.

Thoth
10-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Although not a "Knock-Out", I always thought the combo Duran knocked Barkley down with was friggin gorgeous. And he's laughing throughout. What an ass, I love him.

The Tyson knock-out of the dude with the mishapen afro was amazing. I don't see how that man's neck didn't snap.

George Foreman knocked this other little black guy out with the palm of his hand. Open Glove KO...that power is just wrong.

And I have also had the pleasure of viewing the Johnson KO over Stanley Ketchel. Johnson's whole friggin body was in that punch. He was Airborne!

Skydog
10-18-2005, 10:32 PM
I also love that uppercut Big George hit Joe with. It's so perfectly thrown and catches Joe so perfect, it takes him off of his feet. I also like Foreman's last knockdown on Norton. A semi-left hook, a booming right uppercut, and a fully-winded right hook that hurts to watch. Foreman also catches him with another left hook on the way down.

You gotta love Ali's perfect left hook on Oscar Bonavena. The power thrown in that punch does not seem like it would come from Muhammad Ali. Watch Oscar's head right as his legs give in. Another classic Ali knockdown are both of the ones he hit Zorra Folley. The first is a left hook straight to the face, then Ali's jet-like legs shoot him sideways and he catches Folley with a stinging right hook dead on the back of his head. However, the one in the 7th round is a beauty. Two, lightning fast, counter rights that jerk Folley's head back and leave him laying unconcious for a few seconds. That second punch is almost invisible.

And who can forget Smokin' Joe's perfectly timed left hook that floored Ali in the last round of "The Fight Of The Century"?

Verstyle
10-19-2005, 05:30 AM
its either mike tyson vs. michael "jack" johnson when tyson hit him with the right hand with a **** load of pwer and knocked the guys front tooth out with the punch. i though he broke his neck or something. or tyson vs. larry holmes he he :D

Skydog
10-19-2005, 08:35 PM
its either mike tyson vs. michael "jack" johnson when tyson hit him with the right hand with a **** load of pwer and knocked the guys front tooth out with the punch. i though he broke his neck or something. or tyson vs. larry holmes he he :D

Yea that one was brutal. It brings back memories of Marciano's brutal right hook on Jersey Joe.

j
10-20-2005, 07:31 PM
imira,

yup yup. who invented that shuffle? wasn't ali. :D

j
10-20-2005, 07:47 PM
lewis/rahman and the rematch. i always thought there should've been a rubbermatch because the score goes down 1-1, even.

there was this one fight(i'm sure someone can help me out with the names) where this one fighter is clowing in the middle of the ring and dropped his hands in round 4(?) like he just won the fight, and his opponent just walks up to him and BOOM! one punch ko. as i said, i love it when ****y fighters get a good beating.

sonicman
10-21-2005, 10:16 AM
Mike Tyson's first knockdown of Larry Holmes... I seriously don't know how he survived that punch, let alone get up and continue fighting!

Verstyle
10-21-2005, 04:17 PM
Mike Tyson's first knockdown of Larry Holmes... I seriously don't know how he survived that punch, let alone get up and continue fighting!

actually he didnt fight after that he ran like a little ***** all around the ring.sorta like what we imagine when ppl say would u ever fight mike tyson for a million and what would u do. :D

Skydog
10-22-2005, 03:32 PM
Dude, you gotta get off Tyson's dick at least once in your life.

Derranged
10-24-2005, 10:31 PM
When Lewis knocked down Rahman in the rematch. Two hard hooks and Rahman was flat on his back.

fight fan
10-25-2005, 12:52 AM
Morrison/Ruddock! Middle rounds, Morrison throws the most perfect, textbook left hook! Ruddocks whole body went limp and crashed to the canvas. How he got back up I will never know! It looked like he was unconscious and he hit the canvas so hard it woke him up!

Marciano/Walcott I, round 13 Marciano throws straight right, Walcott unconsciuos for a scary amount of time!

Weaver/Tate, Tate way ahead on points gets nailed in the 15th and final round with a big punch and is KOed!

Hearns/Duran, Duran KOed in 2 devastating!!!!

Those are off the top of my head!!

Dirt E Gomez
10-25-2005, 06:38 AM
Douglas' KO of Tyson because of how monumental of a knockout it was.

McClellan vs Jacksom comes to mind as an awesome KO.

Also, Foreman's KO of Moorer because everybody was rooting for Big George, and that combination of heavy shots was a work of art.

OliverNo1
10-25-2005, 07:21 AM
Tommy Hearns KO of Duran - awesome.

Dempsey 1919
10-25-2005, 03:44 PM
My personal favorite knockdown is jack Dempsey putting Gene Tunney through the ropes in their rematch. He was a beast.

My favorite knockout was iron mike tyson handing it to Michael Spinks. I guess "The Jynx" jynxed himself that time lol!

legend_killer
10-25-2005, 11:16 PM
The two Tyson fights that made me cringe were against Pinklon Thomas and Larry Holmes.

The Tyson-Thomas fight was a good contest, right up until Tyson nailed him with a hard left hand. Tyson then nailed Thomas at least 6 times hard in the head before he was down and out. It was a miracle Thomas stayed on his feet as long as he did.

The first knockdown on Holmes was scary. Holmes had been using the "stick and run" tactics that Ali made famous. Tyson responded with a left jab and a hard right hook. Holmes dropped to the canvas and wasn't the same after that. Tyson knocked him down two more times before the ref stopped the fight.

fight fan
10-25-2005, 11:29 PM
Maskaev putting Rahman on the laps of the announcers with a straight right!

Max Baer knocking down Carnera 11x!

Mesi KO Willliamson rd 1!

Tua 19 sec KO over Ruiz rd 1!

Lewis/Rahman I Rahman one punch KO

Lewis/Rahman II Lewis left-right KO

Holyfield KO11 Tyson

Dynamite76
11-03-2005, 06:15 PM
Michael Spinks' knockout of Marvin Johnson, where he was getting his ass kicked for three rounds, and then landed the perfect left hook/uppercut.Also, Juan Laporte's perfect right cross against Rocky Lockridge, where Rocky was giving him the business and Juan just landed a doozy.Michael Dokes' knockout of John L. Gardner, and Greg Page landing the knockdown blow on Alfredo Evangelista going backwards on his toes.

Da Iceman
11-03-2005, 06:45 PM
Marciano vs Walcott I
Louis vs Walcott II
Foreman vs Frazier I
Johnson vs Jeffries

Skydog
11-03-2005, 06:51 PM
I don't know who it was, but Joe Louis nailed some dude with a right uppercut/left hook combo. It was AWESOME!

jabsRstiff
11-04-2005, 10:36 AM
Michael Spinks' knockout of Marvin Johnson, where he was getting his ass kicked for three rounds, and then landed the perfect left hook/uppercut.Also, Juan Laporte's perfect right cross against Rocky Lockridge, where Rocky was giving him the business and Juan just landed a doozy.Michael Dokes' knockout of John L. Gardner, and Greg Page landing the knockdown blow on Alfredo Evangelista going backwards on his toes.

They were all excellent (Spinks KO of Johnson is my all-time favorite punch).....& they all occurred within a few months of each other.
Dokes KO of Gardner was awesome....a fast flurry capped off with a left hook that sent Gardner's mouthpiece sailing. Both that KO & Page's KO of Evangelista happened underneath Holmes-Leon Spinks.
damn....I love 80's boxing. Thanks, Dynamite76 !

Skydog
11-07-2005, 05:00 PM
Who was it that Robinson hit with a left hook that was called "The Picture-Perfect Punch"?

VERSION1 (V1)
11-08-2005, 12:06 PM
TYSON KO OF Trevor Berbick 3 KNOCKDOWNS AND ALL SIX KNOCKDOWNS OF Joe Frazier IN THEIR FIRST FIGHT

Skydog
11-08-2005, 09:20 PM
I don't find all 6 of those KD's to be entertaining. The uppercut that lifted Joe off of his feet and the atomic bomb to the back of Joe's head were the best.

Dempsey 1919
11-08-2005, 11:02 PM
actually he didnt fight after that he ran like a little ***** all around the ring.sorta like what we imagine when ppl say would u ever fight mike tyson for a million and what would u do. :D

ali ran around like a "little *****" against his opponents throughout the 60s, but he still knocked him out. that was holmes original style to dance. he wasn't afraid of tyson, if that's what you think.

Verstyle
11-08-2005, 11:08 PM
ali ran around like a "little *****" against his opponents throughout the 60s, but he still knocked him out. that was holmes original style to dance. he wasn't afraid of tyson, if that's what you think.

there u go again butting in the business. holmes did run like a little *****. IF U READ MY POST INSTEAD OF CHASING MY DICK AROUND THE FORUMS u would have known i was talkin about after he was knocked down. then he started running from tyson cause he knew he was about to get knocked out. your like a bad dream u dont wanna go away.and if u didnt see the fight dont talk. :D in other words holmes was hurt so he ran. every1 knows this

Dempsey 1919
11-08-2005, 11:20 PM
there u go again butting in the business. holmes did run like a little *****. IF U READ MY POST INSTEAD OF CHASING MY DICK AROUND THE FORUMS u would have known i was talkin about after he was knocked down. then he started running from tyson cause he knew he was about to get knocked out. your like a bad dream u dont wanna go away.and if u didnt see the fight dont talk. :D in other words holmes was hurt so he ran. every1 knows this

i saw the fight but i don't really remember holmes actually running away. maybe i should watch the fight again.

Verstyle
11-09-2005, 12:02 AM
i saw the fight but i don't really remember holmes actually running away. maybe i should watch the fight again.

u should cause he was tryin to get away the whole time. and tyson was chasing him

Skydog
11-09-2005, 12:12 AM
Well if you have seen the fight, unbelievibaly, Larry Holems does run like a little *****. ****, I don't blame him. :D

Dempsey 1919
11-09-2005, 12:21 AM
a prime holmes would have confused tyson. it would have been a carbon copy of clay-liston I.

Verstyle
11-09-2005, 03:04 AM
a prime holmes would have confused tyson. it would have been a carbon copy of clay-liston I.

yeah but were talkin about the topic not what could of been cause it didnt happen!!!!!!!!! and how r going to confused if your tyson. i know tyson alot better then alot of these ppl on here on how he fought threw his career. for god sakes i study his style from the 80s. thats like me tellin u stuff about ali.which i wont do cause u probably know him more then i do. like i stated i watch tyson's 80s fights every single day for the least 2 or hours.

Dempsey 1919
11-09-2005, 02:17 PM
yeah but were talkin about the topic not what could of been cause it didnt happen!!!!!!!!!

but i'm just saying that if it did happen, that is what would've happened.

debthebra
11-20-2005, 08:48 PM
anyone who can put someone else down while others watch is always good 4 m3

Skydog
11-20-2005, 11:35 PM
10. Buster Douglas vs. Mike Tyson
After getting knocked down by Mike at the end of the 8th round, Buster held on in the 9th and staggered Mike a few times. Early in the 10th round, Buster catches Mike with a whirlwind right uppercut that puts him out on his feet, then folows with a left hook-right hook that sends Mike on the back of his heels, and a final straight left that crashes Mike down onto his back.

9. George Foreman vs. Ken Norton
Norton was knocked down twice in the 2nd round, though the first knockdown pales in comparison to the second. After bouncing off the ropes, Norton walks right into 2 crunching left hooks from Foreman, which stuns him momentarly. He gains conciousness a bit too late, for he is nailed by a right uppercut which sends him stumbling. However, he is caught by a fully, wound-up, looping right hand that sends him flying onto the canvas. That last right right was arguably the hardest punch Foreman threw in his career.

8. Joe Louis vs. Red Burman
Joe Louis may have had more grand KO's, but he never had one as brutal as he did on Red Burman in 1941. He was up on all of the scorecards by the 5th round, and had Burman cornered. Joe catches Burman with an underhand left to the stomach, and Burman slowly sinks against the ringpost, but Joe nails Burman again with the same punch to the face. Burman then falls on his ass and just sits there, and the ref doesn't even bother counting as he calls the fight then and there. Try watching this KO without having a sick feeling in your stomach.

7. Floyd Patterson vs. Ingemar Johansson II
After getting KO'ed by Ingemar in their first bout, Patterson was back with a vengeance. Early in the 5th round, Floyd nailed Ingemar with a right cross, ducked under one of Ingemar's own rights, and threw a left hook that is arguably one of the best punches ever thrown. Ingemar was rocked, knocked unconcious, and hit the floor with a thud. The most intriguing part is Ingemar when he lands. His left foot starts twitching uncontrollably until he finally wakes up.

I'm gonna post the rest tomorrow. Hope you enjoy.

Skydog
11-21-2005, 09:07 PM
6. Rocky Marciano vs. "Jersey" Joe Walcott I
The Brockton Blockbuster was having the toughest fight of his life. Down on all scorecards, absolutely getting manhandled by Walcott. He was even dropped by a left hook in the first round. He was getting mauled by Walcott in rounds 7-10, thanks to some sort of chemical getting in his eye. In the 13th, Walcott waited for Marciano to come in range and threw a right. However, Marciano caught Walcott with a right just before Walcott's landed on Marciano. And what a right hand it was. It snapped Walcott's head, and Walcott slumped down to one knee. Marciano's attack was not over, as he threw a fierce left hook to Walcott's head. Walcott appeared dead after that bombastic right.

5. Mike Tyson vs. Michael "Jack" Johnson
A very early fight in Tyson's career. I believe he was only 7-0 coming into this fight. The first bell rings, and Tyson comes storming out. Within 30 seconds, Mike floors Johnson with a left-right to the body. As soon as the ref allows the fight to start again, Johnson is caught full on by a freight-train right hook, that seems to snap his neck and paralyze him. Johnson smacks the canvas hard and stayed down for what seemed like an hour, with the paramedics quickly rushing to him and the commentator stating "Johnson is really hurt." After this fight, the world opened it's eyes to Iron Mike and saw that he wasn't kidding around.

4. Jack Dempsey vs. Gene Tunney II
After losing his title a year before to Tunney by decision, the Manassa Mauler was back with a vengeance. Though he had aged since his massacre of Willard in 1919, he was hungry, and the last thing you wanted to fight was a hungry Jack Dempsey. The first 6 rounds went the same as the last fight, Tunney ahead by a large margin of points. In the 7th round, a long right snaps Tunney's head back, then a lunging left hook knocks him back into the ropes, and is hit again by a crunching right hand. Dempsey fires and lands a snapping left hook to Tunney's face, which sends Tunney reeling along the ropes. On the way down, Dempsey nails a perfect 3 punch combonation that has Tunney breathing heavily on his back. The ref tries to get Dempsey to a neutral corner, but he refuses. Finally, when the ref forces Dempsey to get to the corner, he starts the count and Tunney gets up at 3. However, Tunney had been down a good 10 count before the ref actually started counting. Tunney stuck it out for the rest of the fight and won a decision. But no matter what, Dempsey will never be forgotten for how beautiful and intense that knockdown was.

Da Iceman
11-21-2005, 10:13 PM
i like that patterson one too when he knocks him down then jumps on em as soon as he gets up

Skydog
11-23-2005, 12:50 AM
3. Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling II
In their first fight, Louis was pummeled for 12 rounds until he was knocked out, suffering his only loss in his career at the time. He had recently won the title by an 8th round KO of James J. Braddock, and was challenged by German Schmeling. The fight would soon be one of the most symbolic and influential sporting events of all-time. The first round opened with Louis delivering a beating to Schmeling along the ropes, forcing the ref to to break them up. Louis floored Schmeling twice, but it's the last knockdown that really stands. As soon as Schemling gets up, Louis shoots a signature left jab. Schmeling tries to throw a weak right, but Louis simply knocks it out of the way and throws a devastating right to the side of Schemling that has him wincing over in pain. A left to the chest knocks Schmeling up, and Louis takes a quick pause as if to let the pain sink in, and comes down on the top of Schmeling's head with a smashing right cross that snaps Schemling's head around in a sick, violent motion. Schmeling was down and his corner threw in the towel. The perfection and brutality of the knockdown will always be an image of America's conquest of Germany.

Muhammad Ali vs. Cleveland Williams
Ali had nearly dominated everything in sight, and Cleveland Williams, a heavy-hitter that gave Liston troubles in his prime, was up next. However, Ali made Williams look like no one that could have given a prime Liston trouble. For 3 rounds, Ali landed around 300 punches, whereas Williams landed 3. Late in the 2nd round, Williams was floored twice. After getting up, Ali immediatly rushes and nails him with a straight right-straight left, and launches a long left hook. An explosive right hand that had Ali's whole body behind it snapped Williams's head back and floored him. The 4 punches are blended together that makes Ali's arms look like machine guns. Williams was saved by the floor, but was counted out early in the 3rd round. Never have I seen a multi-punch landed and executed so perfectly on one's head. That was argubaly Ali's best performance in the ring, and easily the best knockdown he made.

speed_devil
11-23-2005, 08:29 AM
Iremember watching Louis in a fight over the net i can't remember who he gave a kidney punch to and he won…¿?¿/?¿?¿?¿?¿? if anyone knows refresh my memory

Punster
11-24-2005, 05:33 AM
I loved it when Wepner knocked down Ali. I admit that Ali is a great boxer. However, I hated him as a person.

It may not have been a real knockdown per se but Ali was being more arrogant than usual and didn't give Wepner any respect at all. Then Wepner scored a knockdown. I loved that.

Da Iceman
11-27-2005, 10:37 AM
3. Joe Louis vs. Max Schmeling II
In their first fight, Louis was pummeled for 12 rounds until he was knocked out, suffering his only loss in his career at the time. He had recently won the title by an 8th round KO of James J. Braddock, and was challenged by German Schmeling. The fight would soon be one of the most symbolic and influential sporting events of all-time. The first round opened with Louis delivering a beating to Schmeling along the ropes, forcing the ref to to break them up. Louis floored Schmeling twice, but it's the last knockdown that really stands. As soon as Schemling gets up, Louis shoots a signature left jab. Schmeling tries to throw a weak right, but Louis simply knocks it out of the way and throws a devastating right to the side of Schemling that has him wincing over in pain. A left to the chest knocks Schmeling up, and Louis takes a quick pause as if to let the pain sink in, and comes down on the top of Schmeling's head with a smashing right cross that snaps Schemling's head around in a sick, violent motion. Schmeling was down and his corner threw in the towel. The perfection and brutality of the knockdown will always be an image of America's conquest of Germany.

Muhammad Ali vs. Cleveland Williams
Ali had nearly dominated everything in sight, and Cleveland Williams, a heavy-hitter that gave Liston troubles in his prime, was up next. However, Ali made Williams look like no one that could have given a prime Liston trouble. For 3 rounds, Ali landed around 300 punches, whereas Williams landed 3. Late in the 2nd round, Williams was floored twice. After getting up, Ali immediatly rushes and nails him with a straight right-straight left, and launches a long left hook. An explosive right hand that had Ali's whole body behind it snapped Williams's head back and floored him. The 4 punches are blended together that makes Ali's arms look like machine guns. Williams was saved by the floor, but was counted out early in the 3rd round. Never have I seen a multi-punch landed and executed so perfectly on one's head. That was argubaly Ali's best performance in the ring, and easily the best knockdown he made.
i love when joe beat on his back

krtbuckeye
11-27-2005, 10:51 AM
Allthough it didn't last past the second round, my all time favorite fighht is...... Jack Dempsey v. Luis Angel Firpo 9-14-1923. Dempsey won this fight by KO in the 2'nd but this was the greatest slugfest in history hands down and i'll defend that to the death...lol. Here's a little rundown of the fight....

Firpo came out with firepower, dropping Dempsey with a right hand at the beginning of round 1. Recuperated, Dempsey proceeded to drop Firpo seven times.

Toward the end of the round, Firpo trapped the champion on the ropes and proceeded to strike him with overhand right hands -- the last depositing Dempsey out of the ring, and into the photographers row. Dempsey was hit by a writing machine during the fall, and suffered a deep gash on the back of the head. He was helped back into the ring by the writers at ringside at the count of nine.

After the out of ring knockdown, Dempsey stormed Firpo in round two, dropping his foe three times and the bout was stopped at .57, with the winner and still champion -- Jack Dempsey.

Da Iceman
11-27-2005, 01:44 PM
you just sayin that cuz of what bert sugar said

Skydog
11-27-2005, 05:18 PM
Ok, well I came up with a tie for the greatest knockdown of all time.

Lennox Lewis vs. Hasim Rahman II
Lennox Lewis had been dominating the heavyweight league for a few years now, and had just been enbarassingly KO'ed by second-rate Hasim Rahman. In the 4th round of their second bout, the scorecards were nearly even, though Lennox had the slight edge. The 4th round came out with Lennox landing a few good jabs and right hands. Towards the middle of the round, Lennox did a Muhammad Ali like move on his feet, floating to his left. At the same time, he threw a dazzling left hook that snapped Rahman's head back. He immediatly followed up with a full swung right hook that lands with a thud on Rahman's head. The two punches happened at so fast, they seem like the same punch. Lennox redeemed his loss to Rahman perfectly with this knockout.

Joe Frazier vs. Muhammad Ali I
The punch that nearly everyone has seen or heard of. Every boxing fan knows the stipulation, but I'll explain it anyway. Ali had returned to boxing, seeking his title that he (and everyone else) claimed was his. The title was held by a machine called Joe Frazier, who had won all 26 of his fights, 23 of which didn't go the distance. Ali had brutalized Joe outside of the ring; calling him an Uncle Tom, telling him he was too ugly to be champion, isolating him from the black community. Joe was never a trash-talker, and even if he was, no one could stand up to Ali in that area of matter. However, when the fight started, the two tore into eachother like caged animals. By the 11th round, it was nearly equal, but Joe had sent Ali stumbling and reeling twice in the round. By the 15th round, Joe was winning by a small edge. Early in the round, Ali had been laying on the ropes and was absorbing some of Frazier's shots. He danced off to the left, closely followed by Frazier. While in the middle of throwing a right uppercut, Frazier sensed it and launched one of his signature left hooks. Somehow, someway, Frazier had beat Ali to the punch and totally suprised him by nailing him square on the chin with a deadly left hook. Ali's head snapped to the left, his eyes rolled back in his head, and he fell to the canvas. Courageously, he got up and survived the rest of the round. However, he lost his first professional fight, and his fans had finally got proof that he, like every great boxer before him such as Louis and Dempsey, was beatable. Not only was the knockdown the greatest one-punch knockdown in history, it was what secured Frazier's victory and it symbolized that Ali was a mortal. It is also the most recocnizable image in the Ali-Frazier rivalvry.

chopper77
11-30-2005, 06:17 PM
My favorite is when Hopkins knocked down ODH. I like Oscar ok, but man that shot was a beauty!! Any body shot knock down is tops in my book.

Skydog
11-30-2005, 07:50 PM
Allthough it didn't last past the second round, my all time favorite fighht is...... Jack Dempsey v. Luis Angel Firpo 9-14-1923. Dempsey won this fight by KO in the 2'nd but this was the greatest slugfest in history hands down and i'll defend that to the death...lol. Here's a little rundown of the fight....

Firpo came out with firepower, dropping Dempsey with a right hand at the beginning of round 1. Recuperated, Dempsey proceeded to drop Firpo seven times.

Toward the end of the round, Firpo trapped the champion on the ropes and proceeded to strike him with overhand right hands -- the last depositing Dempsey out of the ring, and into the photographers row. Dempsey was hit by a writing machine during the fall, and suffered a deep gash on the back of the head. He was helped back into the ring by the writers at ringside at the count of nine.

After the out of ring knockdown, Dempsey stormed Firpo in round two, dropping his foe three times and the bout was stopped at .57, with the winner and still champion -- Jack Dempsey.

You wanna see the most perfect description of that fight?

From the man Bert Sugar himself:

Then came the bell, almost lost in the continuous cataract of sound made by 85,000 voices. Firpo advanced to the center of the ring in an unusual stance. For him. For it was the classic boxer's stance, taught to him by his American trainer, Jimmy DeForest, who had tried to instill some semblance of defense in the South American neanderthal who knew absolutely nothing about the science of self-defense--his only defense being his right fist.

Dempsey crouched low, all the better to minimize Firpo's potential target. But such subtleties apparently eluded Fripo, his very first punch, a thunderous and ponderous right, caught Dempsey on the jaw, sending the champion to the canvass only 10 seconds into the fight.

Dempsey jumped off the canvas, not even taking a count, more embarrassed by being knocked off-balance than hurt and went on the attack. As the two flailing behemoths' arms entangled, they fell into a clinch. The referee shouted "break" and as the trusting Firpo dropped his hands and glanced inquiringly at the ref Dempsey threw a left hook over Firpo's half held-up right. It landed flush on the jaw, and now Firpo was down. He, too, was up without a count. The first two punches had produced two knockdowns., all within 20 seconds. And were to set a pattern. For as soon as Firpo had bounced up, he threw himself at the champion, connecting with a right to the only spot open to him, Dempsey's body. Dempsey continued to sacrifice his body, holding his hands high against his chin and against the chance Firpo would land another of his lethal rights.

But Firpo paid no heed to Dempsey's defense just as he paid no attention to his handlers' advice and threw another looping right, which seem to originate from somewhere near the right field foul pole. It caught the champion on the point of the jaw. However, this time, instead of finding refuge on the canvas, Dempsey found refuge in returning Firpo's firepower with his own, drilling a left uppercut through Firpo's haphazard defense. The Argentine stood there wavering. Then he crashed to the canvas with a resounding thud.

As the crowd jumped to its collective feet, yelling, screaming, climbing up on the benches, clawing at each other and issuing a wild, tumultuous roar in the greatest sustained mass audience hysteria ever heard, Firpo, too, tried to jump up. But Dempsey, like an avenging angel of death, stood over him, ready to jump on his fallen opponent as soon as his hands left the resin of the canvas. And, as they did, Dempsey caught Firpo with a left and right. But instead of retreating, Firpo came on, throwing three devastating hammering rights into Dempsey's unguarded rib cage. Then, as he sought to deliver yet another booming right to the body, Dempsey stepped inside his wide swing to deliver his own bomb, a left hook to the chin. Firpo fell as if he had been pole-axed, flat on his face, arms surrounding his head.

Miraculously he arose, only to run into Dempsey who had positioned himself directly over the fallen challenger. Dempsey was off-target with a right, grazing Firpo's head. But Firpo was so groggy its force brushed him back to the canvas for the fourth time. This time referee Gallagher tried to push Dempsey away. As Dempsey backed up, Firpo got up again. Dempsey raced in and, after another left and right to Firpo's jaw, left him where he begun the exchange, back on the floor.

Again Firpo made it to his feet only to find Dempsey waiting for him the very second his hands had left the floor. Another right sent Firpo down for the sixth time.

Somehow, somewhere, from resolution or instinct, Firpo got to his feet again, shaking but still trying to hurl just one of his right-hand bombs at the onrushing Dempsey. But before he wound up to throw it a left and a right from Dempsey deposited the Argentine giant back on the floor yet another time. This time he looked like a finished giant, his head buried in the mat, his arms stretched out. Unbelievably, the giant shook, shivered and stood up, reaching a standing position just before the fatal count of "10"

Now, calling on some superhuman force, Firpo flung himself at Dempsey, bulling him away from him, across the ring. Then, with Dempsey on the retreat for the first time, Firpo threw a clubbing right which landed aside Dempsey's head and the champion, impaled on the ropes, proved Newton's Law--that every action has an equal and opposite reaction--by falling through the ropes into the press section, feet flying and arms behind him to cushion his fall. It was the most famous moment in sports, captured for all time by George Bellows' equally famous painting. In the words of sportswriter Bugs Baer, Dempsey had "skipped three ropes at once."

Here Lady Fate took up Jack Dempsey and swept him up in the folds of her skirt. For in a stadium where Rickard had built the press benches higher than usual, Dempsey had fallen on the typewriter of Jack Lawrence of the New York Tribune, who was worried more about protecting the 44 keys on his Underwood than the 192 ½ pounds of Dempsey. And Lawrence, almost instinctively, hydraulically hoisted the champ up onto the ring apron at the count of seven. By nine Dempsey had climbed through the middle and lower ropes and was back into the ring.

The remainder of the round belonged to Firpo as he hurled right hands at Dempsey, who managed to roll slightly under the punches, almost as if by instinct, breaking their force. Had Firpo even had a hint of a left hand the championship would have changed hands. However, such was not the case and he spent the rest of Round One taking aim at the bobbing head in front of him with an unvaried assortment of rights.

The end of the round found Dempsey still on his feet, beginning to throw punches of his own. Even after the bell he threw several more at Firpo, all of which landed and left both men dazed and spent from their first-round efforts.

The echo of the bell for Round Two had barely died down when Dempsey began to pick up where he had left off at the end of the opening round, throwing short inside punches and taking Firpo's rights to the body. Dempsey, hurt by one of Firpo's rib-crackers, fell into a clinch. Upon the break, he stepped back in and began throwing combinations to Firpo's head. Two left hooks landed over Firpo's by-now limp guard. A left to the body, followed by two right uppercuts and another left to the body all landed flush. Firpo tried to hold on, but Dempsey pulled away and caught the exhausted challenger with another left and right to the head. Firpo less fell than wilted to the canvas, down for the eighth time. Once again he pulled himself up by sheer will at the count of five and greeted the onrushing Dempsey with a wild right to the neck. Dempsey moved in close and found Firpo's jaw with a well-placed left and followed with a right, literally lifting the giant from his feet and hurling him headlong to the floor with the crashing sound of a mighty oak falling frim great heights.

As the count from referee Jack Gallagher reached five Firpo shuddered and turned his body, trying mightily to once again defy gravity and reach his feet. But this time he was not to make it. This time it was over.

The battle had lasted exactly three minutes and 57 seconds, 237 seconds of pure mayhem in which 11 knockdowns were scored in the shortest and wildest "great fight" in the history of boxing. And while it could hardly be called "the Sweet Science," it sure was one helluva sweet quarrel.

Wing master
03-29-2007, 05:00 PM
Hey Skydog,
You mentioned the Louis Burman fight. I have been looking for a copy of this fight. If you have a copy, I would really like to trade or buy a copy.
Thanks
Wing master

me2007
04-02-2007, 05:08 AM
my personal favourite was Michael Sprott knocking out Audley Harrison...

i also like tysons KO of holmes - i dont think this fight would have been any different if Holmes was in his prime...he had no way to neutralise tysons movement and looping shots...

I also enjoy Lewis - Rahman II

Maskaev - Rahman I & II

Lewis - Grant

Lews - Briggs

The Monk
04-02-2007, 07:47 AM
Gatti ko'ing Rodriguez. That was a perfect left hook.

ml2niceguy
04-02-2007, 09:53 AM
tysons knockout for his first championship against berbick