View Full Version : Can Press Up, Pull Ups & Dips Build Up ''Core Strength''

Perfect Plex
08-21-2011, 07:24 PM
Am not interested in being strong on bicep curl or bench press. I want core strength. If I do plenty of Push up's, pull ups, & dips will I get alot of core strength.

Thanks in advance.

BrooklynBomber
08-21-2011, 07:43 PM
Well, pull ups will certainly increase core strength. You will also see moderate improvement with push ups.
Your best bet is squats though.

HAVISJ
08-21-2011, 07:58 PM
If you want a simple, effect core workout, this routine doesn't take mush time or equipment but covers all the basic core muscles.
Plank Exercise:
Side Plank Exercise
The Basic Push Up
V-sits
Push Ups
Squats
Back Bridge
Hip Lift
Oblique Twist
Lunge with Twist
Supermans or good mornings.

Danny Gunz
08-23-2011, 08:38 PM
Well, pull ups will certainly increase core strength. You will also see moderate improvement with push ups.
Your best bet is squats though.

What he said.... squats, and deads will greatly increase core strength

Jack3d
08-23-2011, 09:37 PM
Squats and Deadlifts

Perfect Plex
08-23-2011, 10:02 PM
I've read do. That that lifting your own body weight will get your core strengh better than weight lifting.

I remember someone saying that's why weight lifter's whilst are strong in the weight room, aint that strong when you lock up with them.

BrooklynBomber
08-23-2011, 10:24 PM
I've read do. That that lifting your own body weight will get your core strengh better than weight lifting.

I remember someone saying that's why weight lifter's whilst are strong in the weight room, aint that strong when you lock up with them.

Thats a lie, a person who can squat, deadlift high weights is strong as a bull. May not be that agile or fast(unless he is trained for that, which majority now do) but you definately not want to "lock up" with someone like that. That would be a huge, huge mistake.

Perfect Plex
08-23-2011, 10:33 PM
Thats a lie, a person who can squat, deadlift high weights is strong as a bull. May not be that agile or fast(unless he is trained for that, which majority now do) but you definately not want to "lock up" with someone like that. That would be a huge, huge mistake.

Micky Ward once said in a interview one of his friends went to a freestyle wrestling camp and Ward said how do them guys all get so strong and his friend said all they do is Push Up's. Ward then said he started doing hundreds of push ups and that why he became such a strong fighter who was never on the backfoot.

BrooklynBomber
08-23-2011, 10:48 PM
Micky Ward once said in a interview one of his friends went to a freestyle wrestling camp and Ward said how do them guys all get so strong and his friend said all they do is Push Up's. Ward then said he started doing hundreds of push ups and that why he became such a strong fighter who was never on the backfoot.

Good for him, however through overwhelming anecdotal evidence I have to surpass that getting strong through push ups is one of the less efficient ways out there. Anyway, its all up to you.

Perfect Plex
08-23-2011, 11:15 PM
Good for him, however through overwhelming anecdotal evidence I have to surpass that getting strong through push ups is one of the less efficient ways out there. Anyway, its all up to you.

Sorry dude that Bull *****.

Press ups are so effective and they really build your upper body up. Ron Lyle used to do thousands and he was huge and extremly strong. Same for alot of boxers.

Weights are are good. But Press Up's>Weights

Jack3d
08-23-2011, 11:19 PM

lol agreed. I think some people are just too lazy or scared to get under some heavy weight.

iPhoneKiller
08-23-2011, 11:24 PM
Press up's are good, but weights are good too.

There comes a point if you can do 100 press up's, then you gotta do a hell of a lot to get mroe strength.

Weights for example can test you at the point you can't do anymore with one rep. It gets you strong, but for boxing I would say you should go for speed, not strength as the main thing.

Running is a great way to get core strength, I am talking about 15 miles or more on the road. It helps your cardio which is very important in combat, but your whole body just builds a strength.

I'd rather be toned and strong than musclar and strong.

Perfect Plex
08-23-2011, 11:28 PM
Press up's are good, but weights are good too.

There comes a point if you can do 100 press up's, then you gotta do a hell of a lot to get mroe strength.

Weights for example can test you at the point you can't do anymore with one rep. It gets you strong, but for boxing I would say you should go for speed, not strength as the main thing.

Running is a great way to get core strength, I am talking about 15 miles or more on the road. It helps your cardio which is very important in combat, but your whole body just builds a strength.

I'd rather be toned and strong than musclar and strong.

Running that type of length actual will lose you muscle. Have you noticed that profesional runner are always extremly thin.

NET
08-23-2011, 11:53 PM

Its true. These are the best ways to get in top shape. I used to lift weights when I was younger and I'm glad I stopped. I'm in much btter shape now that I do 90% body weight excersises.. I still use weights to weigh down leg workouts and medicin balls sometimes but that's it. Pushups alone can give u one of the best fullbody workout you can get.

Perfect Plex
08-24-2011, 12:02 AM
I see all these big weight lifters in gyms. And NEVER see them doing there press up's. And when they do there ****ing gassed after a about 10. :lol1

And why is it, in weight lifting gyms. These weight lifters/bodybuilders always have bad attitudes? 90% of these idiots are roided up anyway. :ugh:

Jack3d
08-24-2011, 01:13 AM
I see all these big weight lifters in gyms. And NEVER see them doing there press up's. And when they do there ****ing gassed after a about 10. :lol1

And why is it, in weight lifting gyms. These weight lifters/bodybuilders always have bad attitudes? 90% of these idiots are roided up anyway. :ugh:

Because bodybuilders or as you so eloquently put it "big lifters", aren't training to run in a marathon or fight for 12 rounds. They aren't even training to be strong.

They are trying to pack on as much muscle as possible while maintaining symmetry and sorry my friend, but push ups won't do that.

If you've never done Max Effort Squats or Dealifted or done sled drags, you have no idea what a "good full body workout" is.

Bodybuilders don't all have bad attitudes, but you can expect them to if you decide to be a smug arrogant douche who thinks he knows everything, when he really doesn't.

But alas this is about strength, not bodybuilding and nothing will get you stronger faster, than basic heavy compound lifts.

Dan...
08-24-2011, 03:38 AM
Because bodybuilders or as you so eloquently put it "big lifters", aren't training to run in a marathon or fight for 12 rounds. They aren't even training to be strong.

They are trying to pack on as much muscle as possible while maintaining symmetry and sorry my friend, but push ups won't do that.

If you've never done Max Effort Squats or Dealifted or done sled drags, you have no idea what a "good full body workout" is.

Bodybuilders don't all have bad attitudes, but you can expect them to if you decide to be a smug arrogant douche who thinks he knows everything, when he really doesn't.

But alas this is about strength, not bodybuilding and nothing will get you stronger faster, than basic heavy compound lifts.

Gotta love the guy saying they are all roid heads then asking why they have "bad attitudes".

Perfect Plex
08-24-2011, 06:54 AM
Gotta love the guy saying they are all roid heads then asking why they have "bad attitudes".

All roid heads have bad attitudes? I disagree.

Danny Gunz
08-24-2011, 03:50 PM

God dammit. There is some weird racism on this forum where everyone is offended by body builders, or just jacked dudes in general.

If I made a thread in the lounge right now saying some huge muscle bound guy wanted to fight me I guarantee there would be at least 20 responses of people just saying big dudes usually suck at fighting.

BrooklynBomber
08-24-2011, 10:05 PM
lol agreed. I think some people are just too lazy or scared to get under some heavy weight.

I coupled heavy doubles deadlifts today with moderately challenging weight(for me its 135X5) military press, just to see how my nervous system would take it. After first twe sets I felt a rush amoke to cokaine induced. Good stuff.

BrooklynBomber
08-24-2011, 10:06 PM
God dammit. There is some weird racism on this forum where everyone is offended by body builders, or just jacked dudes in general.

If I made a thread in the lounge right now saying some huge muscle bound guy wanted to fight me I guarantee there would be at least 20 responses of people just saying big dudes usually suck at fighting.

This is when I throw a stone wrapped in picture of Vitaly at them.

BrooklynBomber
08-24-2011, 10:08 PM

Still competative bodybuilders are ****ing strong. They may not be insane strong like plers, but still strongers then right about any other athlete, with maybe heavyweight greekoroman wrestlers being stronger. Throw in some juice and they are even stronger.

Jack3d
08-25-2011, 04:45 AM
Still competative bodybuilders are ****ing strong. They may not be insane strong like plers, but still strongers then right about any other athlete, with maybe heavyweight greekoroman wrestlers being stronger. Throw in some juice and they are even stronger.

I know, but point still stands. Bodybuilders don't training for strength or to be in shape fight, they train for hypertrophy and that doesn't necessarily require a whole lot of weight to be lifted.

iPhoneKiller
08-25-2011, 05:42 AM
Running that type of length actual will lose you muscle. Have you noticed that profesional runner are always extremly thin.

Yeah ti does lose you weight, thus you have to maintain your sugar levels so you don't pass the wall while running. PS. The wall is sually 18 miles BTW. However there is a difference between being big, and being strong.

Trust me if you can run 15 miles without pain, you are very fit and strong. Also a lto fo runners aim to lose weight, but you can be big and run that far. I am 195 lbs atm, and was 200lbs. I lost little weight because I control what I eat but feel stronger than when I use to lift weight years a go.

I don't think I can lift the same numbers as before because I don't do weight really, but I know that I can do body exercises like press ups, chin ups etc a lot easier.

iPhoneKiller
08-25-2011, 05:44 AM
I know, but point still stands. Bodybuilders don't training for strength or to be in shape fight, they train for hypertrophy and that doesn't necessarily require a whole lot of weight to be lifted.

True, but body builders are stronger than the average guy easily. A friend of mine is very short, like 5 foot 5, but he was 225lbs and he was strong. I wrestled with him once and I was around 200lbs at the time and he was a beast. Also being short, I couldn't get low on him.

He wasn't good at arm wrestling, but he could lift some silly weights though.