View Full Version : Philly shell defense

LightzOut
08-18-2011, 08:20 PM
Do you think theres even a point in doing it, and is it effective what are your thoughts on this?

bernardotelo
08-18-2011, 08:29 PM
Do you think theres even a point in doing it, and is it effective what are your thoughts on this?

watch mayweather's fights then tell me if it's effective or not

LightzOut
08-18-2011, 08:37 PM
watch mayweather's fights then tell me if it's effective or not

of course its effective but i'm on about the average amateur fighter , have you ever tried it?

bernardotelo
08-18-2011, 08:37 PM
yes it was difficult to time it at first but youll get the hang of it

LightzOut
08-18-2011, 08:41 PM
yes it was difficult to time it at first but youll get the hang of it

alright thanks, i'll have a go at it in sparring :)

F l i c k e r
08-18-2011, 08:47 PM
If you don't have the reflexes, you shouldn't even try to use it. It would be like trying to play pitcher when you can't throw a baseball. Your just gonna hurt yourself.

It's good if you have the reflexes. Your supposed to use it in the pocket. When your that close, the options of punches are smaller. The space leaves less room for damaging shots. That space also allows you to deflect and roll punches all while throwing a short uppercut that will land clean every time.

So, it's effective but you have to not only have the reflexes but you have to know how to use it.

Floyd looks amazing using it right....

Arturo Gatti used it as well and we all know what he was famous for.

LightzOut
08-18-2011, 09:13 PM
If you don't have the reflexes, you shouldn't even try to use it. It would be like trying to play pitcher when you can't throw a baseball. Your just gonna hurt yourself.

It's good if you have the reflexes. Your supposed to use it in the pocket. When your that close, the options of punches are smaller. The space leaves less room for damaging shots. That space also allows you to deflect and roll punches all while throwing a short uppercut that will land clean every time.

So, it's effective but you have to not only have the reflexes but you have to know how to use it.

Floyd looks amazing using it right....

Arturo Gatti used it as well and we all know what he was famous for.

i understand were your coming from! ill have a go at it , whatever is more comfortable that is what i'll use . thanks

sammiza567
08-21-2011, 09:58 PM
its good to experiment in sparring. i actually do it alot in sparring and think it will be incorporated more for me as a pro and im good at it. its not very effective in amateurs. i mean it can be but its easier to use in pros. big headgear and gloves makes it harder to slip with that style.

bernardotelo
08-21-2011, 10:27 PM
its good to experiment in sparring. i actually do it alot in sparring and think it will be incorporated more for me as a pro and im good at it. its not very effective in amateurs. i mean it can be but its easier to use in pros. big headgear and gloves makes it harder to slip with that style.

really? i beg th differ

paulsinghnl
08-22-2011, 12:38 AM
i like the way james toney used it in his prime better, more aggressive, that shows the real countering power, which is what it's designed for: to counter hard as fast as possible.

Be_kind_rewind
08-22-2011, 01:28 AM
When I'm in the shell I Prefer whipping out left hooks, more then anything else, and it works well when i'm on the ropes.

LightzOut
08-22-2011, 02:10 AM

Yeah it looks very impressive when done correctly!

LightzOut
08-22-2011, 02:13 AM
i like the way james toney used it in his prime better, more aggressive, that shows the real countering power, which is what it's designed for: to counter hard as fast as possible.

i agree im a big fan on james toney ! the mayweather style defense is easier to do for me.

KingTito
08-23-2011, 09:39 PM
It takes a certain kind of fighter to pull that off. If you don't have great reflexes, just use a traditional stance like Marquez or a peek-a-boo style and use your gloves to mostly block.

paulsinghnl
08-24-2011, 06:15 PM
i agree im a big fan on james toney ! the mayweather style defense is easier to do for me.

because james toney uses it so agressively, you have to get right INTO your opponents kitchen.. but then you see the effect, he had some badass KO's at all weights because of the surprise of the shot (shot that hurts the most is the one you don't see coming)

more effective if you ask me.

i used to use that style with dudes that was always trying to be super bully style, super machos. just to make them lose steam, put them in their place, right?

myboxingcoach
08-24-2011, 06:22 PM
You know what, I only ever heard of 'Philly Shell' when I began doing some stuff on line. I've been around boxing all of my life and would never really coach that cross over defence that Floyd uses. Why? Because Floyd was probably never coached in that type of defence, it is something that he has learned to do at a particular time in particular circumstances against particular opponents. He has developed this over decades in the sport. The fact is that as a competing amateur, performing this type of defence would provide more risk than benefit. More simple defences are the way I would go, with things like the double arm block (http://www.myboxingcoach.com/boxing-techniques-ultimate-defence/) and Inside fighting blocks (http://www.myboxingcoach.com/boxing-tips-defensive-inside-fighting/) against hooks. Simple, clean and reliable.

By the way. I read somewhere that 'Philly Shell' was coined from something called Fight Night computer game. Is this correct?

paulsinghnl
08-24-2011, 06:54 PM
You know what, I only ever heard of 'Philly Shell' when I began doing some stuff on line. I've been around boxing all of my life and would never really coach that cross over defence that Floyd uses. Why? Because Floyd was probably never coached in that type of defence, it is something that he has learned to do at a particular time in particular circumstances against particular opponents. He has developed this over decades in the sport. The fact is that as a competing amateur, performing this type of defence would provide more risk than benefit. More simple defences are the way I would go, with things like the double arm block (http://www.myboxingcoach.com/boxing-techniques-ultimate-defence/) and Inside fighting blocks (http://www.myboxingcoach.com/boxing-tips-defensive-inside-fighting/) against hooks. Simple, clean and reliable.

By the way. I read somewhere that 'Philly Shell' was coined from something called Fight Night computer game. Is this correct?

the name for it is from Fight Night yea, and the defense is risky. but it's just primarily to counter hard. my trainer HATES it when i do it, he doesn't want no part of it. and the basics doing them safely are always much better.. but for instance the defence we learnt has holes too..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4

love this video by the way, what i mean in this discussion is from 1.11

jabsRstiff
08-24-2011, 06:55 PM
I've been in and out of Philadelphia gyms for close to 30 years. Don't think I've ever heard a trainer say "use the 'Philly shell'"...and certainly never see anyone being taught it.

That style is something you discover you CAN do over time.

F l i c k e r
08-24-2011, 07:59 PM
I've been in and out of Philadelphia gyms for close to 30 years. Don't think I've ever heard a trainer say "use the 'Philly shell'"...and certainly never see anyone being taught it.

The term "philly shell" was coined by the Fight Night series.

It's actually called "shoulder roll" but the former sounds a lot cooler.

No one really teaches it as confidently as the Mayweathers. 90% of gyms won't teach it and will tell guys to not use it.

LightzOut
08-24-2011, 09:42 PM
because james toney uses it so agressively, you have to get right INTO your opponents kitchen.. but then you see the effect, he had some badass KO's at all weights because of the surprise of the shot (shot that hurts the most is the one you don't see coming)

more effective if you ask me.

i used to use that style with dudes that was always trying to be super bully style, super machos. just to make them lose steam, put them in their place, right?

Yeah i find it much easier to do with someone who throws careless punches it is alot easier to counter. but when i spar someone experienced i don't execute it as well.. but i'll get better with the shoulder roll over time

paulsinghnl
08-24-2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah i find it much easier to do with someone who throws careless punches it is alot easier to counter. but when i spar someone experienced i don't execute it as well.. but i'll get better with the shoulder roll over time

most important part is being relaxed and being focused. just slip and the countering opportunities present themselves. very cool way to fight, but takes from your gastank though.

LightzOut
08-25-2011, 03:03 PM
most important part is being relaxed and being focused. just slip and the countering opportunities present themselves. very cool way to fight, but takes from your gastank though.

yeah it's awesome! :)

Bronsky
08-25-2011, 09:25 PM
I like using it when I have someone pinned in the corner, im fast but not that fast, so when I use it on anywhere else besides the corner I can possibly land there punches max but when I have my opponent in the corner I can keep him pinned there wit footwork and roll punches all day long and and keep landing until he manages to run out of there somehow, but thats the only spot where I can do damage all day. Mind you I'm on the outside with my opponent in the corner not me in the corner looking out.

myboxingcoach
08-29-2011, 05:44 PM

All I need to know! :-)