View Full Version : Training Hard, But Not Dieting/Eating Clean?

Perfect Plex
08-14-2011, 03:40 PM
Training hard in the gym, but not dieiting an eating what you want?

Whats your opinion this?

bernardotelo
08-14-2011, 04:19 PM
depends on your genetics, but if you eat what you want and you don't eat right then wtf do you want to do with your atlhetic future ? i wish I could eat what i wanted(good foods) all my folks give me is crap

sweet*science
08-14-2011, 04:42 PM
Very vague question. Can it be done, sure people do it everyday, is this the discipline to follow not at all.

Takeover
08-14-2011, 05:14 PM
You're probably talking about 90% of all amateur boxers. Eating clean will separate you from the pack. Every little bit helps.

Spiegelo
08-14-2011, 05:31 PM
It bothers me that this gets replies and blows up, as dumb as a question as it is (no offense thread starter), yet better threads that actually ask real questions like mine about Philadelphia boxing gyms gets ignored. What happens when you don't eat right? You end up in the wrong weight class like most amateurs, and you'll eventually get stopped by someone who belongs in there and has the mental and physical dedication of a true warrior who trains properly. You'll also have **** stamina.

Perfect Plex
08-14-2011, 06:27 PM
Listen I aint greedy. I train hard, but I do eat junk food, homecooking etc. But I do take vitamins, NEVER had a drink or taken a drug, and try a drink lots of waters. So am not saying I completey have no good stuff in my diet.

But I just dont' really eat Vegatbles, Porridge Oats, Fruit (Except Oranges which I love). And I don't have no set routine diet, like porridge for breakfast, fish for dinner etc. I just cant be doin with that ****.

But hey thats me! :lol1: And also don't box or do any competitive sport.

IronDanHamza
08-14-2011, 08:53 PM
My opinion on the matter is;

If you're going to work your ass off in the Gym (whether it be a competitve sport, staying healthy or simply looking good) then you may aswell go that extra mile and have a healthy diet.

I don't see the point in doing one and not the other. But that's just me.

Toy Story 3
08-14-2011, 10:31 PM
Some people can eat whatever they want and it doesn't bother them athletically. I see some people who are ripped and they barely work out. It depends on your genetics. For me when I eat healthy I feel better in the gym. When I eat good food that isn't healthy, I feel slugglish and sloppy.

Jack3d
08-14-2011, 11:19 PM
Could you be any more vague?

Perfect Plex
08-14-2011, 11:26 PM
My opinion on the matter is;

If you're going to work your ass off in the Gym (whether it be a competitve sport, staying healthy or simply looking good) then you may aswell go that extra mile and have a healthy diet.

I don't see the point in doing one and not the other. But that's just me.

But I really do enjoy the going the gym & training hard and pushing myself. But eating healthly just makes me pure misarable and I just feel its to much stress. I like to go out and eat nice food in resturants and not have to worry about the calories.

But like I said, I have NEVER touched alcohol or drugs, and do take vitamins and eat protien bars after each session, so it all bad.

But other than my diet is pretty much what I want.:boxing:

Whats your training routine & diet IronDH?

King of Sting
08-14-2011, 11:45 PM
Training hard in the gym, but not dieiting an eating what you want?

Whats your opinion this?Alot of good points have been stated already. I have a cousin who is athletically gifted. When we were younger I use to preach to him how important dieting was, but, his mindset was, as long as you work your butt off in the gym then you could eat whatever you want.

His physique was good then but not great and he had great endurance and never really monitored what he ate, however, he ate in moderation most of the time.

Fast forward to now, his new hobby is triathlons and is a 5 year Ironman vet. He now has a nutritionist(who just happens to be the same nutritionist that works with one of the P4P best fighters of today)and he has mentioned to me how amazed he was at how much better he is physically/performance wise due to following a solid meal plan that caters to his chosen hobby.

He even mentioned that he should've paid more attention to dieting in his younger days and he thinks that he could've been better when he was already pretty good.

Moral of the story is, for some people, like my cousin, not paying close attention to adhering to a sound meal plan might not hurt you that much, but, having a solid meal plan will definitely help elevate your performance in your chosen sport.

CymruAmByth
08-15-2011, 08:00 AM
But I really do enjoy the going the gym & training hard and pushing myself. But eating healthly just makes me pure misarable and I just feel its to much stress. I like to go out and eat nice food in resturants and not have to worry about the calories.

But like I said, I have NEVER touched alcohol or drugs, and do take vitamins and eat protien bars after each session, so it all bad.

Mate it sounds like you're trying to make excuses to yourself for eating sh*t. Junk food is no good, full stop. Follow people's advice and not what you'd like to hear

Perfect Plex
08-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Mate it sounds like you're trying to make excuses to yourself for eating sh*t. Junk food is no good, full stop. Follow people's advice and not what you'd like to hear

:lol1: Just looking for opinions. I just find having strict diet is to much stress and makes me misarable.

IronDanHamza
08-15-2011, 10:40 AM

You see, I'm the opposite.

I rarely ever eat any kind of fast or junk food, because I don't really like it. But if I ever am to eat just single meal of bad food like Southern Fried Chicken or a Burger or something I just feel lathargic and outright miserable.

As opposed to when I eat healthy (99.5% of the time) I feel fanatasitc. Sharp, energetic, and strong. As they say, healthy body, healthy mind. Could not be more accurate.

So you eat fast food alot? Or? If so, I would say your body is managing to handle it now, but down the line, it will not be able to. Trust me, I have heard this story so many times in my life, working in the fitness field. Just a warning there :lol1:

Bad goods are just bad news, to be honest. I suggest to every last one of my clients to steer clear of it and recommend to literally never have it. But that's just me. Alot of people tend to agree with this but theres handful who don't.

My personal programme and diet is pretty relaxed, I used to be incredibley specific many years ago but now I just go with the flow aslong as it's good, fresh and natural foods. I only drink water and lots of it. And eat 3-4 meals a day (currently).

My training regime is also as basic as it comes;

Run at 6 Am
Train at 12Pm (1-2 different muscle groups)

5-6 days a week.

:lol1:

Jack3d
08-15-2011, 01:45 PM
:lol1: Just looking for opinions. I just find having strict diet is to much stress and makes me misarable.

It's not for everybody. It's a lifestyle commitment.

But your body will that you down the road for taking care of it now.

Journeyman
08-15-2011, 03:41 PM
growing up, i had the worst sweet-tooth and still kinda do..

but when im competing, im always looking for that extra edge over my opponent, and a clean diet is always something solid i have a choice over

and after a good gym session, i just feel dirty if i dont eat something clean and natural afterwards

but treating yourself to something good(and fattening) every now and then is essential for the soul imo

Perfect Plex
08-15-2011, 03:51 PM
You see, I'm the opposite.

I rarely ever eat any kind of fast or junk food, because I don't really like it. But if I ever am to eat just single meal of bad food like Southern Fried Chicken or a Burger or something I just feel lathargic and outright miserable.

As opposed to when I eat healthy (99.5% of the time) I feel fanatasitc. Sharp, energetic, and strong. As they say, healthy body, healthy mind. Could not be more accurate.

So you eat fast food alot? Or? If so, I would say your body is managing to handle it now, but down the line, it will not be able to. Trust me, I have heard this story so many times in my life, working in the fitness field. Just a warning there :lol1:

Bad goods are just bad news, to be honest. I suggest to every last one of my clients to steer clear of it and recommend to literally never have it. But that's just me. Alot of people tend to agree with this but theres handful who don't.

My personal programme and diet is pretty relaxed, I used to be incredibley specific many years ago but now I just go with the flow aslong as it's good, fresh and natural foods. I only drink water and lots of it. And eat 3-4 meals a day (currently).

My training regime is also as basic as it comes;

Run at 6 Am
Train at 12Pm (1-2 different muscle groups)

5-6 days a week.

So I gather your a personal trainer?

IronDanHamza
08-15-2011, 04:04 PM
So I gather your a personal trainer?

I am, yes.

Uturn
08-15-2011, 04:16 PM
Dieting has a big effect in terms of your performance. It's suggested that 70% of an athlete performance is to do with diet. Diet is extremely important if you want to perform to the best of your abilities.

It's really up to you though and how dedicated you are to bettering yourself. They say 'Diet comes first, then training, then sleeping'..

Perfect Plex
08-15-2011, 04:48 PM
Yeah. But Rampage Jackson diet consisted of McDoanlds duing his peak in Pride FC.

The very old school fighters, could fight all day and didn't know nothing about diets etc Ketchel, Greb, Langford.

Carlos Monzon smoked and his cardio was insane, and he was really well built.

And Usain Bolt recently said he really isn't all that fussed on dieting, and does like to eat junk food.

Jack3d
08-15-2011, 08:50 PM
Yeah. But Rampage Jackson diet consisted of McDoanlds duing his peak in Pride FC.

The very old school fighters, could fight all day and didn't know nothing about diets etc Ketchel, Greb, Langford.

Carlos Monzon smoked and his cardio was insane, and he was really well built.

And Usain Bolt recently said he really isn't all that fussed on dieting, and does like to eat junk food.

Well Rampage and Usain Bolt are black. So they don't count

Plus these guys are paid to be athletes and paid to train day in and day out. The amount of calories and energy these guys expend is more than any of us can comprehend, so they can afford those extra calories, in fact they probably need them. Even a guy like me who works out 5 days a week doesn't burn that many calories, so I have to watch what I eat, or I'll gain weight.

Also fighters aren't really concerned with how lean they are, just as long as they are in shape and bodyfat percentage isn't really an indication of being in shape. So eating quality food isn't exactly required. It's just a matter of getting enough calories to refuel and recover. Doesn't matter if it's from Chicken and Brown Rice or a Double Cheeseburger and Fries

Unknown Champ
08-16-2011, 05:15 AM
who the fuuck eats porridge?? Like you are an orphan saying more porridge sir haha

CymruAmByth
08-16-2011, 07:42 AM

It's all habbit bro. As soon as you get into the habbit of eating healthy you won't even think about junk food. What i tend to do is eat healthy during the week and then have a fry up Saturday morning and mabye a take away in the night...i know it's not ideal but it's better than eating junk all week!

Perfect Plex
08-16-2011, 11:21 AM
It's all habbit bro. As soon as you get into the habbit of eating healthy you won't even think about junk food. What i tend to do is eat healthy during the week and then have a fry up Saturday morning and mabye a take away in the night...i know it's not ideal but it's better than eating junk all week!

So what does your diet consist of through the week?

CymruAmByth
08-16-2011, 11:48 AM
So what does your diet consist of through the week?

Something along the lines of...

7am: 3 eggs 2 slices of wholegrain bread and a cup of orange juice

10am: 1 apple and grapes

1pm: 2 tuna sandwiches with 50g of mixed nuts

3-4pm 2 oranges

7pm: chicken breast with brown rice and veg

I try and follow a similar plan on the weekends exept for the fry up in the mornings!

CymruAmByth
08-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Something along the lines of...

7am: 3 eggs 2 slices of wholegrain bread and a cup of orange juice

10am: 1 apple and grapes

1pm: 2 tuna sandwiches with 50g of mixed nuts

3-4pm 2 oranges

7pm: chicken breast with brown rice and veg

I try and follow a similar plan on the weekends exept for the fry up in the mornings!

Ps. I run 6am and train 5pm-6.30pm so i fit my food around that

Uturn
08-16-2011, 01:40 PM
My diet:

8am

Orange juice
2 wheetabix with milk
4 eggs (2 yoak)
Banana
1 Fish oil

12pm

1 tin of tuna
Yogurt
Berries
3 chicken breast

3pm (snack)

Banana
Almond nuts

5-7pm (big meal)

Fish/streak/chicken
Pasta or brown rice
Veggies

9pm

1 glass of milk
Oats
Protein shake

and repeat.

Your be raring to go!

Perfect Plex
08-16-2011, 01:49 PM
See all this eating ever few hours, eating certain mesured out foods etc. Is just to stressfull, and stress is no good for the body.

I train hard, & take vitamins, But I eat the foods I like, and when I like. I feel it does me no harm.

Sure if I wanna go that next level, I would have to have a strict diet, but that **** makes me pure misarable & grumpy and would actually put me off training.

Uturn
08-16-2011, 02:44 PM
See all this eating ever few hours, eating certain mesured out foods etc. Is just to stressfull, and stress is no good for the body.

I train hard, & take vitamins, But I eat the foods I like, and when I like. I feel it does me no harm.

Sure if I wanna go that next level, I would have to have a strict diet, but that **** makes me pure misarable & grumpy and would actually put me off training.

Eating rubbish foods is more likely to less motivate you and depress you, fact. I can't stress enough how important diet is..Diet is KEY to tip top condition and performing at your very best.

It's up to you though, no one is making you do it, but if you want to be that bit better than the person in the gym then these things do make the difference. The person who has been dieting and training as hard as you is more likely to the kick the **** out of you because they have that extra bit in them.

At the end of the day the facts don't lie. If we could all eat what we wanted without it affecting our training then we'd be eating burgers everyday.

It depends how serious and dedicated you are though. The fact of the matter is, a person with a healthy diet already has an advantage over you. So that's 1-0 in their favor already..

It's up to you bro, but don't sweat it if you aren't to serious. It really boils down to how competitive you are and what your goals are.

Perfect Plex
08-16-2011, 03:00 PM
Eating rubbish foods is more likely to less motivate you and depress you, fact. I can't stress enough how important diet is..Diet is KEY to tip top condition and performing at your very best.

It's up to you though, no one is making you do it, but if you want to be that bit better than the person in the gym then these things do make the difference. The person who has been dieting and training as hard as you is more likely to the kick the **** out of you because they have that extra bit in them.

At the end of the day the facts don't lie. If we could all eat what we wanted without it affecting our training then we'd be eating burgers everyday.

It depends how serious and dedicated you are though. The fact of the matter is, a person with a healthy diet already has an advantage over you. So that's 1-0 in their favor already..

It's up to you bro, but don't sweat it if you aren't to serious. It really boils down to how competitive you are and what your goals are.

You really do make some gd points.

But it's not like am a complete pig. I take vitamins (multi vit, b vit, zinc, magnisuem), i love oranges and do drink plenty of water.

But I just don't like to have a strict diet, and I just like to eat foods at like at any given time. I know diet is important, but it makes me feel misarable and vegtabales me me feel sick, and thats honest.

My moto is train hard, take vitamins, and eat the foods you like. I like to eat junk food, fast food, homecooking etc. And I feel it really dosent do me that much harm.

When I try to diet, the foods that I eat vegs, oats just make me feel sick and put me off training all together.

Danny Gunz
08-16-2011, 07:51 PM
Training is obviously very beneficial but eating clean will put you over the edge fitness wise.

CymruAmByth
08-17-2011, 03:48 AM
My diet:

8am

Orange juice
2 wheetabix with milk
4 eggs (2 yoak)
Banana
1 Fish oil

12pm

1 tin of tuna
Yogurt
Berries
3 chicken breast

3pm (snack)

Banana
Almond nuts

5-7pm (big meal)

Fish/streak/chicken
Pasta or brown rice
Veggies

9pm

1 glass of milk
Oats
Protein shake

and repeat.

Your be raring to go!

Is that diet for boxing or lifting?

Aperion
08-17-2011, 08:53 AM
Look at it this way - say you train hard 5-6 days a week. Regardless if you train or not, your entire life you usually eat 3 times every single day no matter what. So no matter what you eat much, much more than you train. Unless you are a robot, or perhaps a human who has reached singularity with technology and no longer require food. But I digress.

So what you eat has an enormous impact on every single thing you do, and you've been eating your whole life, ever single day, a lot, before you were even born. So yea, that has a huge effect - eating non-nutritous food everyday isn't good, simply put. Eating clean just makes me feel better, more energy, less moody, everything is better for me.

Uturn
08-17-2011, 11:13 AM
Is that diet for boxing or lifting?

Both. I'm moving up in weight at the moment, looking to build some lean mass by lifting. I burn a lot so need to up my cal intake, so I'm increasing it slowly and adjusting my diet.

Ogecca MaMa
08-17-2011, 01:19 PM
I eat only homefood. nothing else is better, than what your mother/wife cooks. you wish u had russian woman..feel sorry for americans. also if you train hard you can eat anything you want. I like your thread though, some replies are funny.

2pm Banana and nuts

9 pm yogurt only..lol all pros

Perfect Plex
08-17-2011, 01:58 PM
I eat only homefood. nothing else is better, than what your mother/wife cooks. you wish u had russian woman..feel sorry for americans. also if you train hard you can eat anything you want. I like your thread though, some replies are funny.

2pm Banana and nuts

What does your homecoking food consist of do?

Ogecca MaMa
08-17-2011, 03:17 PM

What does your homecoking food consist of do?

rus/ukr/georgian national food. google or wiki, whatever works for you.

and why u highlighted "all pros" ? that's how people sound over here. never been in the gym, but For real..all on diet....coke lol

Uturn
08-17-2011, 03:33 PM

2pm Banana and nuts

http://www.refplanet.com/images/mattfail.gif

Ogecca MaMa
08-17-2011, 04:42 PM
http://www.refplanet.com/images/mattfail.gif

what are you trying to say Uturn? talk to me about it my friend.

of course I didnt mean, eat tons of pizza and mcdonalds. I meant you can eat anything but not those chemicals. natural calories, good food is what im talking about.

now if you disagree, write your opinion then

Harry Balls
08-17-2011, 04:45 PM
well if you train hard you get a buffer that makes it possible to eat more without gaining bodyfat.

but its still simple math. If your caloric expenditure is 5000kcals and you eat 7000kcals you will become fat.

Also, more pics of russian women in this thread! That is something i can agree with. :)

Ogecca MaMa
08-17-2011, 04:52 PM
well if you train hard you get a buffer that makes it possible to eat more without gaining bodyfat.

but its still simple math. If your caloric expenditure is 5000kcals and you eat 7000kcals you will become fat.

Also, more pics of russian women in this thread! That is something i can agree with. :)

xd, I can just send you pics of few of my friends. 1 of them on my sig)

well, I train for 16 years, most of my life. I have a diet before tournaments, only when I have to make it my weight. that happened few times in my life. I am right now 70 kgs and I wont go bigger. Saying that I eat whatever I want and I train 6 days per week, 2 times a day. And no I wont become fat..eating like a pig and eating everything - 2 different things. Why eat more than you need to?

Harry Balls
08-17-2011, 04:56 PM
why eat more than you need? Good question. Probably because of psychological reasons. Habits are formed, and then its a snowball effect.

I envision every girl in russia looking kind of like the female in your signature (whos insanely hot for what its worth).

Definitely need to visit that great country. :boxing:

Uturn
08-17-2011, 06:32 PM
what are you trying to say Uturn? talk to me about it my friend.

of course I didnt mean, eat tons of pizza and mcdonalds. I meant you can eat anything but not those chemicals. natural calories, good food is what im talking about.

now if you disagree, write your opinion then

You can eat anything you want, as long as it's clean food. Like I said before, it really depends what your expectations and goals are. Eating clean food is good but still having a set diet for the day is great depending on what you're doing/trying to achieve.

What I'm trying to say is, Diet is important. Disregarding diet is like turning up to a boxing match with the wrong equipment.