View Full Version : Need help losing 20lbs

young19boxer
08-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Hey I'm 20 currently 195lbs and I'm really trying to get down to 170...I've been running, going to the gym 5 days a week getting a good sweat, and changed my eating habits but my body seems to be toning up but the lbs don't seem to be dropping that much... Help please!!

- v e t -
08-13-2011, 01:10 PM
cut carbs for 3 weeks

just meat, cheese, eggs and green veggies

:)

young19boxer
08-13-2011, 01:20 PM
Ok will do.. Also to add I've been doing this for about 3 weeks... I def think I'm losing weight because I was around 199-202 but I've been out of the gym for a while but I'm back strong... I'm lookingnfor my first ameture fight at 170

- v e t -
08-13-2011, 01:28 PM
what you do is up to you, best wishes.... im certain there will be 'experts' who come in here and tell you cutting carbs is foolish and whatnot and to not listen to my advise

thats your call... but again, best wishes

young19boxer
08-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Thanks man... Everything is worth a try, if it doesn't work I can always do something else

Jack3d
08-13-2011, 05:30 PM
cut carbs for 3 weeks

just meat, cheese, eggs and green veggies

:)

Cut carbs but no cheese? What the hell are you talking about?

OP, no dairy, no breads or pasta. Eat more green vegetables and lean meats.

Drink a lot of water. Coupled with your training and some cardio, the weight will come off. Split up your meals into 6 small instead of 3 large.

The first 10-15lbs is the easiest to lose.

young19boxer
08-13-2011, 05:41 PM
Thanks for the advice jack... Sounds good

- v e t -
08-13-2011, 05:45 PM
Cut carbs but no cheese? What the hell are you talking about?

yes, thats what i said... when you eliminate carbs you utilize fat and protein for energy.. the human body can only use 25-35% of the protein calories for energy, the remaining must come from fat

cheese has fat, meaning cheese has energy

i didnt say reduce carbs did i, i said cut them... chill out dickwad

msagrain
08-13-2011, 05:48 PM
Try HIT Running or Swimming.

Jack3d
08-13-2011, 05:52 PM
yes, thats what i said... when you eliminate carbs you utilize fat and protein for energy.. the human body can only use 25-35% of the protein calories for energy, the remaining must come from fat

cheese has fat, meaning cheese has energy

Cheese also contains milk sugar/carbs. Also nobody is arguing fat is essential, but there is nothing healthy about the fat in cheese.

Fish, Olive Oil and Almonds are better sources of fat than Cheese.

- v e t -
08-13-2011, 05:55 PM
Cheese also contains milk sugar/carbs. Also nobody is arguing fat is essential, but there is nothing healthy about the fat in cheese.

Fish, Olive Oil and Almonds are better sources of fat than Cheese.

the only cheese, of the major cheese products, that has more than 1g of carbs is cottage...

http://www.annecollins.com/dietary-carbs/carbs-cheese.htm

cheese pwns

- v e t -
08-13-2011, 05:56 PM
i only brought up fat because if he completely cuts carbs, he NEEDS the fat... and i assumed that the only reason you were dogging cheese is due to fat, because is virtually no carb

Jack3d
08-13-2011, 06:03 PM
i only brought up fat because if he completely cuts carbs, he NEEDS the fat... and i assumed that the only reason you were dogging cheese is due to fat, because is virtually no carb

Well I'm just saying if you are trying to get energy or healthy fat from food, there are better options. I've gone on several cuts and bulks and the first thing I do when I go on a cut is I eliminate Bread and Dairy and I can drop 10-15lbs in just a couple weeks with no other diet or cardio adjustments.

There is not reason that anyone (unless you are trying get down to very low single digit bodyfat percentages) needs to completely get down to zero carbs.

Plus in order for your body to successfully and effectively get energy solely from fat content when on a zero carb, keto diet, it usually takes a couple very uncomfortable weeks.

I may be a minority or gifted in respect to weight loss, but there really isn't a need to be this meticulous about what you eat. Just small and adjustments here and there in your diet and ramping up the cardio to 30-45 minutes session 3-4 times a week should be fine for just about anybody.

- v e t -
08-13-2011, 06:09 PM
Well I'm just saying if you are trying to get energy or healthy fat from food, there are better options. I've gone on several cuts and bulks and the first thing I do when I go on a cut is I eliminate Bread and Dairy and I can drop 10-15lbs in just a couple weeks with no other diet or cardio adjustments.

There is not reason that anyone (unless you are trying get down to very low single digit bodyfat percentages) needs to completely get down to zero carbs.

Plus in order for your body to successfully and effectively get energy solely from fat content when on a zero carb, keto diet, it usually takes a couple very uncomfortable weeks.

I may be a minority or gifted in respect to weight loss, but there really isn't a need to be this meticulous about what you eat. Just small and adjustments here and there in your diet and ramping up the cardio to 30-45 minutes session 3-4 times a week should be fine for just about anybody.

im not disagreeing necessarily... i only suggest very low carb ( < 20g/day) because he sounds desperate as if he's already been trying all he can. im all for abandoning dairy.. just not cheese.

and yeah, he'd have to induce ketosis but that can be done in 2 weeks in most people and that process alone drops a good bit of weight, be it water weight etc or not. the first time i went keto i dropped 14 lbs in the first two weeks just getting there.... since its only short term for him i think he'd do fine

and yeah there's some great alternatives for the fats, one of my faves is coconut oil, a tablespoon or two in the morning can go a long way... especially if you're keto :)

Jack3d
08-13-2011, 06:19 PM
Fair enough. But still for him, I wouldn't worry about trying to induce ketosis until nothing else is working. I doubt he's tried everything.

OP, this is what I'd do.

-Cut Dairy and Bread
-Replace Starches w/ Green Vegetables
-Eat more Lean Meats instead of Red Meats
-Drink More Water
-Eat 6 small meals instead of 3 square
-Steady pace cardio 3-4x a week

I'm just not a fan of over-complicating things like this. Losing weight is actually a pretty simple process, it's just the method of execution that people have a problem with. 20lbs is a cakewalk that just requires some minor adjustments.

LightzOut
08-13-2011, 09:13 PM
Fair enough. But still for him, I wouldn't worry about trying to induce ketosis until nothing else is working. I doubt he's tried everything.

OP, this is what I'd do.

-Cut Dairy and Bread
-Replace Starches w/ Green Vegetables
-Eat more Lean Meats instead of Red Meats
-Drink More Water
-Eat 6 small meals instead of 3 square
-Steady pace cardio 3-4x a week

I'm just not a fan of over-complicating things like this. Losing weight is actually a pretty simple process, it's just the method of execution that people have a problem with. 20lbs is a cakewalk that just requires some minor adjustments.

Hey was just wondering if i did this, would i gain the weight back? everyone keeps telling me that if you cut your carbs you will go right back to were you started..Thanks

Jack3d
08-13-2011, 09:17 PM
Hey was just wondering if i did this, would i gain the weight back? everyone keeps telling me that if you cut your carbs you will go right back to were you started..Thanks

If you go back to previous eating habits you'll gain it back. Why wouldn't you?

When you lose weight you need to keep eating the way you have been to keep the weight off. You can't just reach your goal weight and then go back to eating the way you used to and expect not to gain weight. It's a 24/7 365 commitment, not an 16 week vacation.

LightzOut
08-13-2011, 10:03 PM
If you go back to previous eating habits you'll gain it back. Why wouldn't you?

When you lose weight you need to keep eating the way you have been to keep the weight off. You can't just reach your goal weight and then go back to eating the way you used to and expect not to gain weight. It's a 24/7 365 commitment, not an 16 week vacation.

Haha you have a very good point! if i would go on this diet how many carbs a day should i have? i'm 150 pounds , 13 years old and 5 foot 7. thanks

BrooklynBomber
08-13-2011, 10:11 PM
try to have most of your food at before, while and after training.
just have a solid breakfast, then dont eat for 7-8 hours and spread most of your calories around gym time.
It works much better, imo, then to have 6 meals spread around evenly during the day.

Jack3d
08-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Haha you have a very good point! if i would go on this diet how many carbs a day should i have? i'm 150 pounds , 13 years old and 5 foot 7. thanks

That's something I couldn't really tell you accurately. Everyone is different.

Post your normal diet in detail and then maybe I can give you some pointers on things to stop eating or replace with something better

Jack3d
08-13-2011, 10:17 PM
This is one of my diet plans I followed a few years ago when I was cutting

Meal 1
Omelette (12 Eggs, all whites)
200mg Caffeine
Green Tea Extract

Meal 2 Pre Workout

2 Scoops of Whey in water or 2 Cans of Tuna w/Light Mayo
1/4-1/2 Cup of Brown Rice

+ Pre workout supplement or coffee or no-doz w/ Green Tea Extract

Meal 3 Post Workout
2 Scoops of Whey in Water
+ Banana or Rice Cake
100mg Caffeine

Meal 4
Fish (Salmon, Tilapia) 8oz or Chicken Breast 10oz
Green Tea Extract

w/Green Vegetables or nothing

Meal 5
Omellette 10 Eggs ( 2 Wholes 8 whites)

Meal 6
Whey Shake w/ Peanut Butter

young19boxer
08-13-2011, 11:54 PM
How spread apart did you eat?

Jack3d
08-14-2011, 12:13 AM
How spread apart did you eat?

Every 3-4 hours

LightzOut
08-14-2011, 09:15 AM
Every 3-4 hours

when i am training and not slacking off this is what ill have as my diet

breakfast: 2 breads in the morning with cottage cheese and a glass of water

snack: a banana, glass of water

lunch:2 cod fish and vegetables glass of water

snack:banana glass of water

dinner:chicken and vegetables glass of water

before bed: a glass of milk..

what do you think?
thanks

Jack3d
08-14-2011, 02:02 PM
when i am training and not slacking off this is what ill have as my diet

breakfast: 2 breads in the morning with cottage cheese and a glass of water

snack: a banana, glass of water

lunch:2 cod fish and vegetables glass of water

snack:banana glass of water

dinner:chicken and vegetables glass of water

before bed: a glass of milk..

what do you think?
thanks

Hate to be a pain but you need to be a little more detailed.

First of all are you boxing or just trying to lose weight and stay fit because that might factor in?

Which one of these meals are your pre and post training meals?

What kind of Chicken are you eating? Fried? Grilled? Baked? Sauteed? Is it Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast or a different cut?

How do you cook your fish?

What kind of vegetables are you eating?

How far apart do you spread your meals?

Takeover
08-14-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't see how you guys can train without carbs. Honestly, just cut your calorie intake to around 1500 calories if you can do that and you will be good. Also, you said that you are toning up...well if you're lifting then you need to cut that completely if you're trying to lose the weight fast.

You might want to look into a quality fat burner if you wanna accelerate the process of cutting the weight.

young19boxer
08-14-2011, 06:06 PM
Well when I say toning up I didn't really mean that I'm lifting, I guess I used the wrong term but what I meant to say is that the fat seems to be coming off. I'm not looking for a miracle juice, it just seems that I'm working pretty hard from the gym, I was at 202 at one point but now I'm down to 193 in the morning and 197 with a full stomach. I've been boxing for a while but have only been back in the gym for about 3 weeks, but I'm working hard, eating much better ( egg whites w/or oatmeal most mornings, for lunch a salad with cucumbers, tomato, Parmesan cheese, and grilled chicken, and for dinner normally chicken w/ a salad or vegetables.

Takeover
08-14-2011, 06:12 PM
Oh Ok. Yeah man, if you're eating healthy and weigh a decent amount, it is going to be hard to cut the weight that you want to. It's going to happen but its going to take alot of time. I remember just 3 months ago I only lost 5 lbs in 2 weeks. Now that may seem average but I freaking worked my ass off for those 2 weeks, hit boxing every day with a ****load of cardio. I also eat very good.

Just takes time really, they will come off but it will be a slow come off. Good luck on your quest.

young19boxer
08-14-2011, 06:36 PM
Yea I see what your saying, thanks for the support takeover.

Klemman
08-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Don't know how tall you are... 6 foot 3 and 195 lbs and you're starting point isn't too desperate. 5 foot 3 and 195 lbs and you have a lot of struggling ahead of you.

Assuming that you are in fairly normal (for an average person) shape, are 20 years old, and in a consistent, decent, work out regimen, it shouldn't be too hard. Don't over think it.

Reduce carbs, eliminate bad carbs (refined sugars and starches: white bread, white rice, bleached flour pasta, and of course sugar), focus mainly on quality protiens and vegetables.

A little dairy, including cheese is OK. Softer cheeses tend to be better. Keep everything in moderation. A little cheese here and there won't kill you. It may extend the time to get to your weight goals a little bit, but if it keeps you on the diet for the long term then it's worth it. There are actually studies that show those who include dairy and cheese into a healthy diet acutally tend to have less body fat.

The keys are: keep the carbs down, the protein up, and everything in moderation. Include regular exercise and you'll be fine. Keep in mind this is if you are a reasonably healthy 20 year old. If you are +40 and trying to lose 20 lbs, thinks are tougher and have to be more strict.

adzy
08-14-2011, 08:11 PM
personally mate, i think if you're trying to lose weight, as long as you don't eat too much fatty food, i think you can eat prett much as you want. but you do have to train really hard at the gym.
rather than just going on the treadmill for hours like some people do, try and do more high intensity training, eg skipping really fast for 30 secs, then slowly for a minute, then fast for 30 secs and so on.
also doing weights/kettlebell exercises can be really good as long as you know what you're doing. and obviously bag work
out of interest, what sort of stuff do you do in the gym?

Harry Balls
08-14-2011, 08:33 PM
for losing fat it doesnt matter how many meals a day you eat, that is just a myth. So dont worry about that at all, you could as well eat 1 large meal in theory.

set your maintainence output (theres lots of info on the net how to do this, just google) and then use something like fitday.com to calculate your intake.

Harry Balls
08-14-2011, 08:34 PM
personally mate, i think if you're trying to lose weight, as long as you don't eat too much fatty food, i think you can eat prett much as you want. but you do have to train really hard at the gym.
rather than just going on the treadmill for hours like some people do, try and do more high intensity training, eg skipping really fast for 30 secs, then slowly for a minute, then fast for 30 secs and so on.
also doing weights/kettlebell exercises can be really good as long as you know what you're doing. and obviously bag work
out of interest, what sort of stuff do you do in the gym?

youd be surprised how much excercise is needed to burn a considerable amount of calories.

also, "fatty food" is not what makes people fat at all, its about calories.

Takeover
08-14-2011, 08:53 PM
Don't know how tall you are... 6 foot 3 and 195 lbs and you're starting point isn't too desperate. 5 foot 3 and 195 lbs and you have a lot of struggling ahead of you.

Assuming that you are in fairly normal (for an average person) shape, are 20 years old, and in a consistent, decent, work out regimen, it shouldn't be too hard. Don't over think it.

Reduce carbs, eliminate bad carbs (refined sugars and starches: white bread, white rice, bleached flour pasta, and of course sugar), focus mainly on quality protiens and vegetables.

A little dairy, including cheese is OK. Softer cheeses tend to be better. Keep everything in moderation. A little cheese here and there won't kill you. It may extend the time to get to your weight goals a little bit, but if it keeps you on the diet for the long term then it's worth it. There are actually studies that show those who include dairy and cheese into a healthy diet acutally tend to have less body fat.

The keys are: keep the carbs down, the protein up, and everything in moderation. Include regular exercise and you'll be fine. Keep in mind this is if you are a reasonably healthy 20 year old. If you are +40 and trying to lose 20 lbs, thinks are tougher and have to be more strict.

I don't think he has to limit carbs. He needs to lower his calories to lose the weight. If anything, he should lay off carbs at like 7pm but I think we as boxers need them to perform at the level we desire.

I also thing the OP needs to realize that he is not a bodybuilder but a boxer. Cutting carbs and lowering calories will harm your boxing skills because of decreased energy. but like he said, we need your height

young19boxer
08-14-2011, 11:10 PM
To answer some questions I am 5 '10. When I'm at the gym i do about 3 to 4 rounds with mitts(intense though), 3 to 4 rounds on the heavy bag, 3to 4 rounds on the double end bag, and finish with light weights, and ab work. Occasionally my trainer will tell me to run 2 miles prior.

LightzOut
08-15-2011, 04:36 PM
Hate to be a pain but you need to be a little more detailed.

First of all are you boxing or just trying to lose weight and stay fit because that might factor in?

Which one of these meals are your pre and post training meals?

What kind of Chicken are you eating? Fried? Grilled? Baked? Sauteed? Is it Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast or a different cut?

How do you cook your fish?

What kind of vegetables are you eating?

How far apart do you spread your meals?

Lol no worry about it i'm doing both boxing and trying to lose weight, also i don't train everyday i train like twice a week.. so maybe i need to train more? pre workout i'll have cod (grilled) and vegetables(carrots broccoli , peas), then post workout ill have boneless skinless chicken(skinless grilled) and vegetables i eat every 3-4 hours. thanks for helping i appreciate it!

Uturn
08-15-2011, 05:20 PM
You need to stay away from carbs. Also, implement a strict diet plan. From then on, you're good to go and lose weight with ease.

Klemman
08-16-2011, 08:51 AM
I don't think he has to limit carbs. He needs to lower his calories to lose the weight. If anything, he should lay off carbs at like 7pm but I think we as boxers need them to perform at the level we desire.

I also thing the OP needs to realize that he is not a bodybuilder but a boxer. Cutting carbs and lowering calories will harm your boxing skills because of decreased energy. but like he said, we need your height
To clarify, I agree that he shouldn't train as a bodybuilder, fitness model, etc.. When I said cut carbs I meant mainly junk carbs. We all would also do better to reduce white bread, white rice, etc.. Complex carbs via whole grains is healthy and essential for the prolonged and intense exercise needed for boxing training.

Now once he is at or near his goal wait in a maintenance phase, inclusion of some cheat foods is ok. While trying to lose 20 lbs the stricter the better. If a cheat meal or day keeps him otherwise disciplined, then that is acceptable as long as he acknowleges that every cheat meal/day makes it that much longer to get where he wants to go.

young19boxer
08-20-2011, 10:21 AM
hey guys...i just want to say thanks for the advice. I've ben eating much better and busting my ass at the gym.i weighed myself this morning and im down to 190...i still have a ways to go but im going. Thanks again!!!