View Full Version : Can I get down to 130lbs at 6'1??

Akhi
08-11-2011, 07:34 PM
I'm at 150 right now. Any examples of boxers with these measurements for comparison purposes?

Season starts in September.

I'm trying keto, I doubt I have 20lbs of fat to lose but I've stopped lifting weights so I hope to lose muscle.

If I hit 130 will I then be able to cut water weight?? Like cut 10lbs or something pre-fight to hit 120??

I'm a amateur btw, we dont even have weight classes yet. But i want to fight really short guys.

BOLLOCKS
08-11-2011, 07:36 PM
Why stop there? 118 or nothing.

Akhi
08-11-2011, 07:37 PM
lol I know your not serious but if I could make 118 id fight there

funny thing is I was around 200lbs this time last year (198 to be exact)

Akhi
08-11-2011, 07:41 PM
Ali Funeka's my motivation right now

BOLLOCKS
08-11-2011, 07:43 PM
Start popping pills like him then.

ChowAce
08-12-2011, 05:45 AM
Man I would just bulk up to 160 if I were you. That way you can actually hurt people with your punches.

Thomas Hearns was a very tall middleweight at 160 and he was also 6'1. If you go all the way down to 130 or even 120, nobody will respect your lack of power and walk right through you.

gatagata
08-12-2011, 09:36 AM
You would have less power and weaker chin at that weight.

saxofunk
08-12-2011, 12:26 PM
i am 180 cm and 60 kgs so you can be 130 lbs don't hesitate get in the shape the fights will get very easy, they can't even touch you lol

Akhi
08-12-2011, 01:58 PM
my chins good never been hurt and i spar with guys twice my age and 20lbs bigger

dont really care too much about power i'm not feather fisted but a few extra pounds won't make me a KO artist

as long as I'm tall enough to keep people away I can clinch on the inside thats my gameplan

Akhi
08-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Man I would just bulk up to 160 if I were you. That way you can actually hurt people with your punches.

Thomas Hearns was a very tall middleweight at 160 and he was also 6'1. If you go all the way down to 130 or even 120, nobody will respect your lack of power and walk right through you.

I'm tryna develop a clinch habit

cant do it in sparring because my coach hates but i want to start incorporating it into fights because i get tagged too much on the inside

now i think about it im similar to malignaggi: "slick", but get hit a lot, boxer/mover, low left hand..

any craic lad?
08-12-2011, 02:36 PM
my chins good never been hurt and i spar with guys twice my age and 20lbs bigger

dont really care too much about power i'm not feather fisted but a few extra pounds won't make me a KO artist

as long as I'm tall enough to keep people away I can clinch on the inside thats my gameplan

Thing is man it might be good now at 150 but if you go down 20lbs thats a hell of a difference but then again you will be wearing headgear.You will lose power but if you can make it safely it would be damn hard getting past your jab with your height and reach

Joachim
08-12-2011, 04:15 PM
I would LOVE to fight somebody your size. No power at all. you could just cut off one of your legs. No but seriously. Don't do it.

Akhi
08-12-2011, 04:43 PM
Corrales did well with similar stats

he had power

Jack3d
08-12-2011, 06:35 PM
If you think cutting 20lbs won't do anything to your power, then you're in for a rude awakening. I think it's also pretty shallow to cut down so much to fight guys half your height instead of fighting people your own size at your natural weight.

Get ahold of some DNP and take the whole bottle in one sitting

Mohammedini
08-14-2011, 11:32 PM
Its gonna wreck your testosterone lvls permanently. Your body gonna stop producing hormones normally if you cut down regularly to 130 being 6'1. Also your chin will be a lot weaker, you can damage your kidneys if you do a bad cut. Why the fu kk do you want to bully smaller fighters like that? are you scared of facing people in your own size? Also I can tell you being a lot bigger doesn't help that much if your opponent is a lot faster then you. Which they probably will be. Size is only good if you have power , And if you honestly believe you gonna have any kind of power as a 130 6'1 guy. I don't know how old you are but the younger you are the more dangerous big weight cuts are.

Mohammedini
08-14-2011, 11:36 PM
Thomas Hearns that had a god like punch had zero power when he fought as a amateur at 135. He fought like 140 fights and stopped 7 opponents or something ridiculous like that.

mr.thraz
08-15-2011, 02:06 AM
your crazy!

and any couch who lets you try it should be punished.

Akhi
08-15-2011, 11:05 AM
Its gonna wreck your testosterone lvls permanently. Your body gonna stop producing hormones normally if you cut down regularly to 130 being 6'1.

wtf?? can you explain?

I dont think this is true I think its to do with diet because I tried to cut before (eating 3 apples, 3 litres of water and 1 can of tuna per day) and my testesterone was ****ed I couldnt even get hard...that was stupid

But I haven't had these problems on keto/high fat diet

I'm under 18 btw if there are serious health repercussions I won't do it but I need hard facts

Akhi
08-15-2011, 11:08 AM
i had a fight when I was doing that and i had no energy threw like 10 punches in the first two rounds (nearly knocked him out in the third though) and lost on points

sh1t was crazy...never again. I was eating max 500 calories a day for like 3 weeks.

Now im on about 1500 and i feel way better and im losing weight

Mohammedini
08-16-2011, 03:08 PM
wtf?? can you explain?

I dont think this is true I think its to do with diet because I tried to cut before (eating 3 apples, 3 litres of water and 1 can of tuna per day) and my testesterone was ****ed I couldnt even get hard...that was stupid

But I haven't had these problems on keto/high fat diet

I'm under 18 btw if there are serious health repercussions I won't do it but I need hard facts They did a study on former high school wrestlers and many had huge testosterone deficiency from years of repeated weight cuts. Cutting so much weight also causes you to have higher risk of developing pugilistic dementia later on due to having a dehydrated brain that is alot more sensitive to blows. The majority of deaths in boxing were due to bad weight cut destroying the persons ability to absorb punishment. Thats why there are so few deaths in the HW div. Even there the deaths could be related to weight cuts. For example G-man Gerald Mcclellen had problems making the 160 limit and when he got his severe brain damage he had a bad weight cut. Ricky Hattons chin was ruined from cutting so much weight. Also acute renal failure due to weight cuts can ruin your kidneys for life. Your thyroids get messed up and your hormone production get effected. Everybody knows people that cut the most weight also have the shortest careers. Look at Bernard Hopkins. When he fought in MW he was always around 157 on fight night. He almost never cut weight adn walked around 160-162 before fights.

Mohammedini
08-16-2011, 03:24 PM
You do what you want but your can ruin so many things by doing this. The body don't stop growing until around you are 25. Your bone structure, bone density, hormone lvls, muscles don't fully develop until that age. If you mess around with your weight you can ruin it permanently and never develop good skeletal muscle tone/general muscle tone. You see many former adolescent anorectics never fully develop. there body stays in a adolescent state permanently. If I was you I would let my body grow naturally and build strength rather then dwarf people artificially and pay a huge price for it. Your stamina will be horrible, your power will be horrible. Your speed will never match any of the guys you face due to them being smaller and more explosive. So what that you have more reach and height advantage but they will hunt your brittle body and your stamina and resilience/heart/chin will not be good due to the cuts. Look at Ortiz for example. The guy gave up in a fight he was winning against Maidana and lacked heart at 140 and he's chin was weaker. When he moved up just 7 pounds he was 5 times stronger, his stamina was through the roof, His heart and chin was amazing in his fight against Andre berto.
either way sorry for the long post but I serously worried for you bro! don't do it. Don't take the easy way out. Don't be a huge weight cutting bum/p*ssy that are scared of fighting people his own size. No coach in their right mind would let you do it

Akhi
08-16-2011, 04:20 PM
alright bro...real sh1t

props for the information

Mohammedini
08-16-2011, 07:23 PM
alright bro...real sh1t

props for the information so what you gonna do? what do your coach say? are you fu kking crazy? being 6'1 and cutting to 120 lbs? I think you should fight at 140 at the lowest but even that I don't recommend. 147 and you would be a TALL WW.

Akhi
08-16-2011, 08:37 PM
my coach doesnt think I need to lose weight..says at this point the only thing that matters is improving technique and becoming a better boxer and that ill fill out as i get older and find a natural weight class later

your right bro i don't know what I was thinking. I had to put it in perspective...guys like margarito are tall for their weight class and they're shorter than me...wtf ill look like a holocaust victim at 120

I'm just gonna box and not worry about weight...

i got a little excited comparing myself to pros

kbpoetree
08-17-2011, 11:40 AM
man at that height u can stay in the 140's area and still b a giant and still have energy that way...if ur amateur dont worry too much bout weight jus work on ur skills....i would say Paul Williams is ur best example.....but i'm 5' 11" and at 140 was always the way taller man.....learn ur jab well...very well and u will b fine

kbpoetree
08-17-2011, 11:40 AM
my coach doesnt think I need to lose weight..says at this point the only thing that matters is improving technique and becoming a better boxer and that ill fill out as i get older and find a natural weight class later

your right bro i don't know what I was thinking. I had to put it in perspective...guys like margarito are tall for their weight class and they're shorter than me...wtf ill look like a holocaust victim at 120

I'm just gonna box and not worry about weight...

i got a little excited comparing myself to pros
lol guess i shouldve read all the posts first...lol