View Full Version : Becoming a pro?

AlexMorgan<3
08-02-2011, 08:11 PM
I wanna start boxing i'm 17, is it too late for me? I don't have any boxing gyms in my area but I have stuff at my house. I was wondering what kind of workouts to do and how long will it take me to get an amateur fight.

bernardotelo
08-02-2011, 09:11 PM
I wanna start boxing i'm 17, is it too late for me? I don't have any boxing gyms in my area but I have stuff at my house. I was wondering what kind of workouts to do and how long will it take me to get an amateur fight.

it will take you as long has it takes for you to get a trainer to sign u up for fights

moneymayforever
08-03-2011, 04:18 AM
not late at all, but you can't just train at home to become a pro. its like saying "I wanna become a pro at tennis but i dont have any clubs around so ill just get a tennis ball and a racket and just keep on practicing." well, that guy don't know the proper forms of tennis or what workouts pro do, doesn't he? well, same as boxing. try and find a boxing gym, even if its a little far away. you can always bike/drive there. joining a gym and finding a good trainer is the shortcut. the rest is up to your dedication.

ChowAce
08-03-2011, 11:13 AM
Why do you want to become a pro? I think too many people think they can just become a pro in boxing. It is by far one of the most difficult and most ruthless sports out there. With ruthless I also mean as far as getting a good trainer, the right management, getting paid fairly etc. You should start with I want to win all my amatuer fights.

Join a good gym, without that you will get nowhere.

iseah100
08-03-2011, 06:29 PM
Why do you want to become a pro? I think too many people think they can just become a pro in boxing. It is by far one of the most difficult and most ruthless sports out there. With ruthless I also mean as far as getting a good trainer, the right management, getting paid fairly etc. You should start with I want to win all my amatuer fights.

Join a good gym, without that you will get nowhere.

Even if its hard he can do it.

Alx.
08-03-2011, 06:48 PM
get yourself into a gym mate :) sergio martinez first stepped into a boxing gym at the age of 20 and he is #2 in the world p4p

all is possible if you have the will to do it and work hard

iseah100
08-03-2011, 07:54 PM
Just find a gym man. Anywhere.

New England
08-04-2011, 11:44 AM
get yourself into a gym mate :) sergio martinez first stepped into a boxing gym at the age of 20 and he is #2 in the world p4p

all is possible if you have the will to do it and work hard

he's also a one in a million talent

go to a gym and see if you like it first it doesn't even sound like somebody has punched you in the face yet

you don't know how you will react
some people literally say **** this and stop

and some of them were as gung ho as you sound. something to think about.

i'd say if you get hit in the face for your first time and it awakens a monster inside of you that NEEDS to hit him back then you've taken your first step

don't get it twisted, if you somehow got a fight in the am or pros after just hitting a bag on your own in your basement you'll get stopped early. more than likely they will not let you fight

they'll ask you where you train out of, you'll respond "my house"
and they will say, "oh, is somebody in your family a trainer?"
"no, i trained myself"
"denied"

this aint MMA haha
i've seen some mma guys on TV who are "self taught // trained"
what a joke that is. and they are on TV no less

Baptist
08-04-2011, 01:55 PM
Take the <3 out of your username

This is boxing not kissing

Good luck!

Foolish.Dead
08-14-2011, 03:34 PM
I'd say try to find a good gym first and get some amateur fights to start. I'm not saying don't go for pro at all, but set some smaller goals and work up to that would help a lot

the niggest
08-14-2011, 03:52 PM
You need to learn how to crawl before you walk, son.

Takeover
08-14-2011, 03:53 PM
No, it is not too late. Bernard Hopkins started fighting at age 23/24. Rocky Marciano didn't start till late. Jack Dempsey is another. The list goes on and on.

Rockin'
08-14-2011, 04:27 PM
It can be done but it will take alot of hard ass work to get there. Anybody can fight in a pro bout but not all will fight like pros.

Stick to your schooling man, take it from me. Even if you have an emence amount of pure talent it does not mean that things will work out as a pro. Besides your opponent there are many many more obstacles that you will have to navigate.

I'm still glad that I fought pro, I have no regrets about it except that I didnt see just how far I could have gotten. I had talent man, but even the best come out of the meat grinder called professional boxing altered, mentaly mamed and unable to care for themselves after it's all said and done.

The amatuers are great for any youth, it's saftey first in that game.

Stay in school and just have some fun in the amatuers.............Rockin':boxing:

Takeover
08-14-2011, 06:05 PM
It can be done but it will take alot of hard ass work to get there. Anybody can fight in a pro bout but not all will fight like pros.

Stick to your schooling man, take it from me. Even if you have an emence amount of pure talent it does not mean that things will work out as a pro. Besides your opponent there are many many more obstacles that you will have to navigate.

I'm still glad that I fought pro, I have no regrets about it except that I didnt see just how far I could have gotten. I had talent man, but even the best come out of the meat grinder called professional boxing altered, mentaly mamed and unable to care for themselves after it's all said and done.

The amatuers are great for any youth, it's saftey first in that game.

Stay in school and just have some fun in the amatuers.............Rockin':boxing:

Is this true? Seems like alot of pro fighters end up ok after it is all over.

Rockin'
08-14-2011, 06:39 PM
Is this true? Seems like alot of pro fighters end up ok after it is all over.

This is all true and not just from stuff that I might have read or heard, I've seen it with my own eyes and experienced it with my mind and body.

Alot of pros are fine after a lengthly career, but in the shadows hidden away from the public view there are plenty of retired fighters that suffer the affects of their trade.

I won't mention names but I have seen and talked with fighters that have been altered by the game. One fought Ali back in his day, can't understand a word that comes out of his mouth. Another guy that I fought with shows the signs. He came up after me but I can see the changes that his 35 fight career have had upon him.

Professional boxing is no joke, you are in there fighting and at any time it could be life or death. These fighters made the decision to become professional fighters and they have every right to make that decision. It's just that few actually know of the reprecussions that the sport could have on them.

I had a short pro career, I saw the tell tale signs of the danger after the ring and decided to cut out before any serious damage was inflicted upon me. There are some who could have 100's of fights and not show the signs of pugilistica dementia, all the same there are fighters who could have a handfull of fights and come out altered by their quest. It's a flip of the coin that I decided not to make. Still, 10 years after my last pro fight I deal with the affects of the game. Severe headaches are common, I forget alot of stuff but I think that was my way before entering the pro game.

Any outsider can look at the sport and make quick judgements about it, but you can never really now unless you've laced them up and stepped up to fight. Now the amatuer game is night and day to the pros. Any young teen that asked me about the amatuer game I would whole heartedly tell them to give it a shot. Compared to the pros the amatuer game is relatively safe and is actually documented to be one of the safer contact sports out there.

I made my decision years ago to step out of the pro game, that was my choice and only I could make it. I was fighting in arenas/stadiums making decent money for my bouts and was managed by a fairly famous person. I had it all going on but I could not get the affects of this sport out of my mind. The affects are real whether you want to believe it or not, but every man has the freedom to choose what he wants out of life. I decided that my mind was worth more than a few grand to be used as a punching bag.

What I say is true and comes from the knowledge that I gathered in my 15 years or so of fighting. For many there is a high price to pay for stepping into that ring, for others it's not so bad. Any kid talking amatuer boxing I will be behind and help the best that I can. Any kid talking the pro game I will discourage and recommend that they stay in school......Rockin':boxing: