View Full Version : BETTER WORKOUT: Swimming or Running

boxingking500
07-22-2011, 05:33 PM
what really is a better workout for cardio

running or swimming?

Shabba Rank$
07-22-2011, 05:46 PM
Well Wlad doesn't run he swims.

But I've read that swimming can be as beneficial as running and it's not as hard on your feet/ankles.

Unknown Champ
07-22-2011, 06:39 PM
Both.... rotate and do both for max benefits

Monte Fisto
07-24-2011, 08:19 AM
I used to say running. But, I joined a swim club before and my running times got faster and I was able to run longer when I started swimming.

Poppa Mathysse
07-24-2011, 08:40 AM
swinmning coz im starting to feel the shyt from my legs,,,,

Hitman Hodgson
07-24-2011, 09:01 AM
Both. Swimming will help improve your running.

New England
07-24-2011, 09:58 AM
running involves impact, which you will be experiencing in boxing.

swimming is more work (go swim a mile and run a mile and tell me which is more difficult)

but both are beneficial

i wouldn't go without running if you box. get at least a few miles in each week to make sure you take care of your legs.
and plenty of people don't have the opportunity to swim, and have done ok without it

those who cant// don't run, however (chris arreola pre - pay cut at 270 lbs)
cannot box for 12 rounds

New England
07-24-2011, 09:59 AM
Well Wlad doesn't run he swims.

But I've read that swimming can be as beneficial as running and it's not as hard on your feet/ankles.

i did not know this!

lots of hw today stay away from excessive roadwork (which i think is a mistake,)
but i always thought it was the arreolas of the world looking for a cut corner
perhaps they run the risk of being overtrained if they are running around 3 miles a day while weighing 250 plus

andrefabre
07-25-2011, 01:21 AM
what really is a better workout for cardio

running or swimming?
Running 3 times /week
Swimming 2 times/ week
Is best

Rockin'
07-25-2011, 01:29 AM
Swimming is great cardio/exercise. But for a fighter I would recomend running over swimming. With the running your are not only getting the cardio but you are strengthening the legs so that you can still stand after excepting a hard shot that could possibly have dropped you. Fighters must have sturdy legs..........Rockin':boxing:

Shabba Rank$
07-25-2011, 04:31 AM
i did not know this!

lots of hw today stay away from excessive roadwork (which i think is a mistake,)
but i always thought it was the arreolas of the world looking for a cut corner
perhaps they run the risk of being overtrained if they are running around 3 miles a day while weighing 250 plus

Yeah man.

I forgot which damn youtube video I watched, but it was of Wlad in his training camp for the Haye fight. And I believe it was either Emanuel or Wlads strength and conditioning coach (I believe he had one) that said Wlad has abandoned running and now exclusively swims.

Danny Gunz
07-25-2011, 08:08 PM
Swimming works basically every muscle in your body and improves your cardio so I would say swimming.

Actually running can be harmful in boxing. Not in the sense that it is hurting your body but long distance running like anything more then 3 miles a day is pretty useless in boxing.

ghns1133
07-25-2011, 08:24 PM
sex!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rockin'
07-26-2011, 12:34 AM
Swimming works basically every muscle in your body and improves your cardio so I would say swimming.

Actually running can be harmful in boxing. Not in the sense that it is hurting your body but long distance running like anything more then 3 miles a day is pretty useless in boxing.

your reply couldn't be any further from the bullseye...........Rockin':boxing:

happdaddy
07-26-2011, 02:15 PM
I swam for four years in college and as a result was put through a lot of different cross training programs to improve my overall strength and endurance. I wouldn't feel comfortable saying one is better/more important than the other if training for a boxing match; but what I can confidently say is that if you have the ability to do both -- you should be. On average a swimmer will burn 25% more calories than a runner who does a comparable workout. Dependent upon your dietary needs and weight situation, this could either be detrimental or highly favorable concerning your body state and where you ultimately want to be before the big date. A HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) program utilizing swimming will help fine tune an athlete's fast-twitch muscle fibers as long as they are using a program that focuses on sprinting and explosive sets with little rest in between and longer rest once the set is completed. Being that these muscle fibers are the ones responsible for explosiveness and quick movement, I would guarantee that including a decent swimming program would improve the fighters jab quickness, punching/arm endurance, and overall stamina.

bballchump11
07-26-2011, 04:01 PM
Ariza says swimming

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BTfCBAB0UX4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>