View Full Version : Wladmir Klitschko's hydro work out

Jakutindi Wauya
07-18-2011, 07:25 AM
I heard Wladmir stopped road work for his training and substituted it with some work outs in the swimming pool.

Does anyone know he he actually does this?

ChowAce
07-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Yea I saw the same thing in one of the videos before the Haye/Klitschko fight. Because of his age and not wanting it to take a toll on his knees he swims instead of going running.

Swimming is actually just as good if not better for conditioning then running.

frosty-g
07-18-2011, 08:31 AM
maybe he knew how much it was gonna rain in hamburg for the haye fight.

more likely he knew how much haye was gonna be crying in the ring...

Banderivets
07-18-2011, 10:31 AM
I think he just swims, most likely freestyle and other competitive styles, no breaststroke.

Ogecca MaMa
07-18-2011, 02:39 PM
Yea I saw the same thing in one of the videos before the Haye/Klitschko fight. Because of his age and not wanting it to take a toll on his knees he swims instead of going running.

Swimming is actually just as good if not better for conditioning then running.

co-sign. you nailed it):fing02:

Jakutindi Wauya
07-19-2011, 07:44 AM
I think he just swims, most likely freestyle and other competitive styles, no breaststroke.
Why no breastroke?

Has anyone in here ever substituted the road with swimming and became better?How long do you guys swim for?

Banderivets
07-19-2011, 11:39 AM
Why no breastroke?

Has anyone in here ever substituted the road with swimming and became better?How long do you guys swim for?

Breaststroke is the least energy expelling style of swimming.

Personally I tried, but to be honest, I feel like Im going to die after 200m of freestyle, my cardio is terrible period....when I swim I feel it hard.

think about it, your moving your legs, your twisting your body, moving your arms, keeping your core steady......swimming is one of the most demanding exercises.

Jakutindi Wauya
07-19-2011, 11:58 AM
Breaststroke is the least energy expelling style of swimming.

Personally I tried, but to be honest, I feel like Im going to die after 200m of freestyle, my cardio is terrible period....when I swim I feel it hard.

think about it, your moving your legs, your twisting your body, moving your arms, keeping your core steady......swimming is one of the most demanding exercises.
I have to agree swimming is a tough exercise but never really thought about it as good cardio because most of the swimmers are just not as ripped.

As for me I can only do maybe 50-100m at a time then will need some rest only to see some people swimming back and forth for 25 minutes non stop.I guess since I have shin splints I might as well take up swimming more often

Ogecca MaMa
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Why no breastroke?

I swam for 4 years when I was 9-13. 3 trainings per week, 3 khms is like 1.6m. Now I swim on Mond and Friday + jump-ropes.

Plus with swimming, most of your body muscles work hard, compare when you run.

RurouniYume
07-19-2011, 12:24 PM
I feel like swimming wont build up the leg muscles you need while you run and when you're in the ring. Wladimir isn't exactly a butterfly in there, but it's very smart for him to be easy on his knees at his age

Banderivets
07-28-2011, 12:21 PM
I feel like swimming wont build up the leg muscles you need while you run and when you're in the ring. Wladimir isn't exactly a butterfly in there, but it's very smart for him to be easy on his knees at his age

You got a point, Wlad has some serious chicken legs.

barfly12
07-28-2011, 01:15 PM
I don't know why it is, but most swimmers don't have such an impressive physique. Gymnists have really good ones. Muscular but not overdone like top bodybuilders.

BrooklynBomber
07-28-2011, 01:26 PM
Most of the swimmers are not ripped for metabolic reasons rather then cardio. Some of you must know that being ripped is more a matter of diet then exercise and swimming is very peculiar one in that regard. When your body is in cold water it spends much much more calories then in open air, therefore human body is inclined to store more fat then if it was warm. Therefore swimmers on average have insane calorie intake of up to but not limited over ten thousand calories and more. If their calorie intake is lower then what their body wishes to intake they would be ripped to the bones but their performance would lack, plus they will be more inclined to have serious crampes.
So, swimming as a whole can make you very conditioned as long as you watch your calories, but be prepared to be insanely hungry.

MonsieurGeorges
08-02-2011, 01:07 AM
Swimming can be very good for your entire body and all your organ systems. It is the coordination of the muscles and the breathing, the combination of aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

the best thing to do is alternate between shorter more intense "sprint" runs and slower paced long distance runs that focus on technique and breathing. it takes discipline to swim correctly for more than a half hour, swimming is an interesting challenge but it can be rewarding

New England
08-05-2011, 12:13 PM
I heard Wladmir stopped road work for his training and substituted it with some work outs in the swimming pool.

Does anyone know he he actually does this?

i'd guess that he does it because of the high impact that would go with running at his size

that's the equivilent 500 lbs slamming down on your knees if you are at roadwork speed

probably much more going down a hill

New England
08-05-2011, 12:17 PM
Swimming can be very good for your entire body and all your organ systems. It is the coordination of the muscles and the breathing, the combination of aerobic and anaerobic exercise.

the best thing to do is alternate between shorter more intense "sprint" runs and slower paced long distance runs that focus on technique and breathing. it takes discipline to swim correctly for more than a half hour, swimming is an interesting challenge but it can be rewarding

swimming is bliss. there's very little impact yet it strengthens the bones
works almost every muscle, especially if you have the option of swimming in deep water)

being weightless (floating) for a few minutes a day can do wonders

and if you're in the ocean there's always the threat of a shark to get your heart thumping ^^

and swimmers are some of the healthiest people i know
it's almost a perfect exercise

Walt Liquor
08-05-2011, 01:51 PM
wlad's road work was sick, he was running 800 yard sprints, like 20 in a row in under a minute each.

holmeslaw
08-05-2011, 05:22 PM
I strained a tendon on my foot, so have had 3 or 4 days of bike & swimming instead of daily street runs to help it recover, and swimming is a killer. I only do breast stroke, and go for 20-25 mins at a steady pace and i think it's harder cardio than a run if you push yourself, because it requires upper body strength too, and it can be hard to get a regular breathing rhythm. The downside being that you don't get the quad / thigh & calf work needed for boxing like a good hill run gives you.

I'd say mix it up, maybe 1 or 2 days a week swimming if you can, can only help save the joints / knees.