View Full Version : I want to gain weight; but not seeing the results

moneymayforever
07-13-2011, 02:27 AM
I've always been skinny as hell, 8 months ago before I started boxing I always wated to stay skinny for some strange reason, I was 5'8 and 49kg, at 108 lbs. But after I started training, I started lifting weights since my chairman told me I was too skinny. At first all I could lift was 5 kg dumbells, but now I could lift a 12~16kg barbell and maximum of 10 kg dumbells (sorry I'm Japanese so it's hard for me to use lbs :P) and finally reached to my current weight of 55kg at 121 lbs. But recently now matter how much I work out, I can't get past 121, I want to get it to at least 60 kg at 132lbs. My workout basically repeats like Day 1, Upper body, Day 2, Lower body, and it repeats like that. I went to the States for a week or two for a little vacation; my hotel had a fitness gym so that was good; and ate LOTS of junk food; still I'm not gaining weight. I'm 15 years old and I'm a high school freshman, if there are anyone who is familiar with this topic, it would mean a lot to me if you guys shared some of your knowledge with me.

Rip Chudd
07-13-2011, 02:35 AM
How much protein are you getting daily? I too am a person who finds it difficult to put on weight. Not until I started drinking protein shakes coupled with my continued workouts was I able to finally put weight on. You should be taking in 1 gram of protein for each pound you weight. So for me now 230 pounds=230 grams of protein. I recommend whey protein for lean muscle. Not saying that this is the answer to your problem but it worked for me. It may work for you as well.

Jack3d
07-13-2011, 02:46 AM
Worry less about how much weight you are lifting and what your routine looks like, and worry more about your calorie intake.

If you wanna get big and gain weight, you have to eat. Period. There is no other way around it. Eat, Eat, Eat. And you'll get big. Lots of Protein, lots of Carbs....lots of calories.

I'm not sure what the situation on food is in Japan, I hear portion are very small so it might be harder for you, but like I said if you eat enough, you will gain weight. Whatever you eat right now, I'd double it and see what that does for you.

Pez
07-13-2011, 03:15 AM
Junk food? I'm guessing you don't care what kind of weight you put on whether it's fat or muscle. If that's the case, get some weight gainer shakes. I used to take them when I was trying to gain weight too. You can get a lot of calories down, probably even a whole day's worth in one or two cups. Eat your regular meals on top of that and you'll gain weight for sure.

Roja's480
07-13-2011, 03:49 AM
Junk food? I'm guessing you don't care what kind of weight you put on whether it's fat or muscle. If that's the case, get some weight gainer shakes. I used to take them when I was trying to gain weight too. You can get a lot of calories down, probably even a whole day's worth in one or two cups. Eat your regular meals on top of that and you'll gain weight for sure.

this is the best website, for this and follow the workouts too
http://www.nowloss.com/how-to-gain-muscle-mass-lose-fat-fast-at-same-time.htm

moneymayforever
07-13-2011, 05:46 AM
@Rip Chudd: Thanks, wow I never knew that... I usually drink one cup of protein shake ONLY after my workout. I got my brand new whey protein today, it's called Savas, I don't know if they sell those in the states but one cup, adding up the milk I use to mix it with, i get 25.1g/300ml shake, and on the instructions it tells me to drink one cup (300ml) in the morning, after workout and before I sleep. So just with my shake I'll be getting 75.3g of protein... damn still need 45.7g more protein. What kind of food also contains protein?

moneymayforever
07-13-2011, 05:50 AM
@h4te: Thank you, I think this is all starting to make sense. I've always eaten less, and right now I'm trying to eat as much as possible. Would it be a good idea to eat 5 meals per day? I'll try to increase the quantity of my meals.

moneymayforever
07-13-2011, 05:51 AM
@Pez: Yes, I heard that having fat will help you to gain muscles better. I'll try to find one of those shakes in Japan and I will get you with the results. Thanks so much!

moneymayforever
07-13-2011, 05:52 AM
@Roja's480: I'll try out the site, thanks for the helpful link!

ChiTown2Diego
07-13-2011, 03:25 PM
I'll give you part of the strategy that I've been using with my young athletes looking to gain weight. It varies from individual to individual and there are adjustments along the way depending on the goals. Here is a quick foundation:

You have to consume 1.75 - 2.25 grams of protein per pound of body weight (Ideally build up to 2 to 2.25 grams of protein per pound). You'll usually hear people tell you 1 gram per pound but that is more for maintenance or for average weight people. Begin with 1.5 grams per pound. Allow your body to adjust (usually 1-2 weeks) then begin increasesing.

Fats should compromise 30%-35% of your daily calories. These are olives, avocados, walnuts, flaxseed, fish oil, olive oil, peanut butter, etc. It's important that your liver is functioning properly to effectively process the additional fats and protein. Ensure you're drinking plenty of water and eating veggies that maximize liver function i.e.,: celery, carrots, cucumber, watercress, chard, beets

Protein shakes (use a good whey protein supplement) should be your best friend. It's the easiest way to get your meals in with a busy schedule. You should be consuming a minimum of two shakes a day (morning and before bed) around your other meals. On training days you should also have a pre and post protein shake. Make sure you're consuming a protein shake (example below) as soon as you wake up. Don't let an hour or so go by like most do before eating their first meal. Before you go to bed consume a protein shake using a Casein protein supplement.

8oz Milk or water
1 cup frozen strawberries
2 scoops protein
2 tbsp ground flaxseed
1 tbsp peanut butter.
1-2 cups oatmeal (raw)
1 cup celery
1 cup spinach

Unlike what most will say, don't just focus on just eating tons of calories for the sake of consuming calories. It's more important where those calories are coming from. Stay away from high glycemic foods (no fruit juices, white bread, sugars, etc.) as your possibly fast metabolism doesn't need additional spiikes. Fruits should be consumed sparingly and should be used primarily before and/or after workouts in protein shakes. Ensure your meals are balanced (outside your pre and post workout meals) and rely on great combination foods such as quinoa (packed with carbs, fats and protein) and Salmon (excellent protein and fat content). BE CONSISTENT.

ChiTown2Diego
07-13-2011, 03:35 PM
typed that up pretty quick but I forgot to add that your 4-6 meals a day should be 3.5 to 4 hours apart. Preferably 4 (exception being the pre and post workout meals). If you were cutting weight we would drop the time in between meals

moneymayforever
07-13-2011, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the advice; I'll try to focus on my daily meals and get back to you with the results asap!

Clegg
07-13-2011, 06:02 PM
Chairman=head of your boxing club?

At the age of 15 I don't think you should be lifting weights too often. You do sound like you're underweight for your height but you'll fit out over the next few years as you reach adulthood.

How often do you lift and what lifts/muscle groups do you work? How often do you do other exercises (boxing/martial arts/running etc)?

F l i c k e r
07-13-2011, 06:49 PM
If your serious about gaining weight, you have to simply increase your caloric intake while taking in proper vitamins and minerals.

Now there is an old fashion way: Eat more.

Then there is a 21st century way: Increase caloric intake, this is clean foods, while taking a weight gainer supplement.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/Vy4aaiSCER6YZfARys2LG872inN_t8dFyg5e3s-GucZZoTP-AwxR6lpsTuuepAml1s2JBFfZ6337sCEEueVn9CDZn1gD-yPysetnSEKZNaUbJFe4I2QZQ64Svw6qtjBAuU5mTbAN90fzO5e 2goEt39_-u0uOFxaF1h5KnfnBbj6XdowME-Qupz0JNKW-KXLKDJyhyg

Buy that. About $25 at your local GNC store, at your local 24hr fitness/gold's gym, or online.

That is the 21st century way. Science has done wonders for us. We should use it. Depending on how you train, will determine whether you get HUGE or have modest weight gain. Training like a boxer will not result in becoming Ronnie Coleman. However, taking a weight gainer and training like a boxer will result in weight gain but the weight that you want to see.

Spray_resistant
07-13-2011, 06:58 PM
It sucks being a teenager and not being able to gain weight, the best I can tell you is you need a higher calorie intake and to keep up the hard work in the gym. try a split routine and don't over train but its going to be tough to put on mass until you physical mature some maybe at 17 or 18.

moneymayforever
07-13-2011, 10:14 PM
Yeah, chairman, the head of my gym. he doesn't seem to have interest in muscle workouts. My gym basically have 3 trainers but they only work during nighttime, and i work from 4~6 in the evening so the chairman is in charge most of the time. The fact is, I workout at home in the morning (around 10~12), an hour or 90 minutes max. since my gym only has a pair of 5kg dumbells.

I do my gym workout 90~120 minutes in the evening and run in the night. I do this 6 times/week. For the muscle group I like to work out my upper body (chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, forearm) and do my lower body (thighs) the next day and it basically repeats. I add 2~3 rounds of nonstop ab work in my gym.

I'm beginning to eat alot. I calculated the percentage of muscle mass, and it resulted in 44%. but I was wondering, what is the "average" weight of my age and height?

Spray_resistant
07-13-2011, 11:23 PM
Yeah, chairman, the head of my gym. he doesn't seem to have interest in muscle workouts. My gym basically have 3 trainers but they only work during nighttime, and i work from 4~6 in the evening so the chairman is in charge most of the time. The fact is, I workout at home in the morning (around 10~12), an hour or 90 minutes max. since my gym only has a pair of 5kg dumbells.

I do my gym workout 90~120 minutes in the evening and run in the night. I do this 6 times/week. For the muscle group I like to work out my upper body (chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, forearm) and do my lower body (thighs) the next day and it basically repeats. I add 2~3 rounds of nonstop ab work in my gym.

I'm beginning to eat alot. I calculated the percentage of muscle mass, and it resulted in 44%. but I was wondering, what is the "average" weight of my age and height?

So you are doing 2 hour and a half to 2 hr workouts 6 times a day plus running? if so there is why you can't gain weight, you are over training for sure for what your goal is.

moneymayforever
07-13-2011, 11:43 PM
am i over training? my workout routine at the gym folows like,

Stretch
Shadow Boxing w/o handwraps for 3 rounds
Jumprope for 2~3 rounds mixing it with crossovers and other tricks
Shadow box with wraps for 5 rounds
Heavybag for 3 rounds
Mass sparring 2 rounds
Pad work 2 rounds
Heavybag 10 rounds
Shadow boxing 2 round
Ab workout 3 rounds
Stretch

... and done, after I get home I take a quick rest and I go off to run about 4 or 5 miles mixing it with sprints, backward runnings and sidesteps.

Spray_resistant
07-14-2011, 12:30 AM
am i over training? my workout routine at the gym folows like,

Stretch
Shadow Boxing w/o handwraps for 3 rounds
Jumprope for 2~3 rounds mixing it with crossovers and other tricks
Shadow box with wraps for 5 rounds
Heavybag for 3 rounds
Mass sparring 2 rounds
Pad work 2 rounds
Heavybag 10 rounds
Shadow boxing 2 round
Ab workout 3 rounds
Stretch

... and done, after I get home I take a quick rest and I go off to run about 4 or 5 miles mixing it with sprints, backward runnings and sidesteps.

I thought you wanted to gain weight according to your thread title, most of that type of work will keep you as trim and as lean as you can be.

moneymayforever
07-14-2011, 01:30 AM
i just want to gain weight, as in muscles or fat. does fat help you get muscles? but at my height I am underweight, and i think i could actually lessen my roadwork if I am overtraining; i could work on my agility and stamina anytime but getting muscles and gaining weight could take at least a year.

Spray_resistant
07-14-2011, 05:23 PM
i just want to gain weight, as in muscles or fat. does fat help you get muscles? but at my height I am underweight, and i think i could actually lessen my roadwork if I am overtraining; i could work on my agility and stamina anytime but getting muscles and gaining weight could take at least a year.

If you just want to gain muscle mass you should be doing more of a bodybuilding routine, look up different split routines for that, you also need to eat a sufficient amount and rest certain muscle for as long as they need to be so they can recover.

moneymayforever
07-14-2011, 06:05 PM
my purpose of gaining muscle mass is to become stronger at boxing; my coach told me that i do need to bulk up to at least 132, he told me that I was underweight. The bodybuilding process takes an awful long time, am I able to acccomplish this by combining it with my boxing training?

elgaringo
07-14-2011, 06:06 PM
@h4te: Thank you, I think this is all starting to make sense. I've always eaten less, and right now I'm trying to eat as much as possible. Would it be a good idea to eat 5 meals per day? I'll try to increase the quantity of my meals.

yes 5 times or even 6 would be better! Throw in a stack of creatine and amino acids vitamins and some whey protein to be had inbetween meals. plus you'll get better results if you weight train more intense and for a short time (no longer than an hour) 4 times a week! train each muscle twice a week, like mon tue thu and sat to break it up.

elgaringo
07-14-2011, 06:11 PM
my purpose of gaining muscle mass is to become stronger at boxing; my coach told me that i do need to bulk up to at least 132, he told me that I was underweight. The bodybuilding process takes an awful long time, am I able to acccomplish this by combining it with my boxing training?

yes! Its a combination of hard work, patience, knowledge, consistency and a whole lot of calories! do as much research as possible. Knowledge is power!

moneymayforever
07-14-2011, 08:14 PM
thanks, i usually weight train for an hour or an hour and a half so I'll break it down to half an hour. Is it better to work all of your muscle group for example in your upper body and work on your legs the next day? or is it better to work only one muscle group or two/day? Should I avoid junk foods such as McDonalds?

josh-hill
07-15-2011, 05:44 AM
If your not putting on any weight your just not eating enough. If your putting on some weight but it's mostly fat / no muscle then your routine sucks or you aren't getting enough protein. I think 2 g per kg of be or something. Do a 5x5 program with lots of vollume

~BoZz~
07-15-2011, 08:02 AM
If your serious about gaining weight, you have to simply increase your caloric intake while taking in proper vitamins and minerals.

Now there is an old fashion way: Eat more.

Then there is a 21st century way: Increase caloric intake, this is clean foods, while taking a weight gainer supplement.

http://lh4.googleusercontent.com/public/Vy4aaiSCER6YZfARys2LG872inN_t8dFyg5e3s-GucZZoTP-AwxR6lpsTuuepAml1s2JBFfZ6337sCEEueVn9CDZn1gD-yPysetnSEKZNaUbJFe4I2QZQ64Svw6qtjBAuU5mTbAN90fzO5e 2goEt39_-u0uOFxaF1h5KnfnBbj6XdowME-Qupz0JNKW-KXLKDJyhyg

Buy that. About $25 at your local GNC store, at your local 24hr fitness/gold's gym, or online.

That is the 21st century way. Science has done wonders for us. We should use it. Depending on how you train, will determine whether you get HUGE or have modest weight gain. Training like a boxer will not result in becoming Ronnie Coleman. However, taking a weight gainer and training like a boxer will result in weight gain but the weight that you want to see.

I ordered the serious mass product today after seeing your post..100$ for 4kg I think..gonna pick it up on Tuesday.

moneymayforever
07-16-2011, 12:25 AM
i do believe most of the weight I'm putting on is muscles because in here in Japan, we're kind of "forced" to eat healthy food such as rice, miso soup, fish, pork, bird meat, etc etc... currently the the maximum weight I am able to lift actually increased. I gained a kilogram or two, it's not much but I think I'm seeing the results of the progress. I will post some pictures.

moneymayforever
07-16-2011, 12:27 AM
http://www.mypicx.com/07162011/My_current_progress/

Currently 174cm, 56 kg. Please note that I'm only 15 years old.

josh-hill
07-16-2011, 07:50 AM
If your serious about boxing then I suggest a 5x5 program, rather than bodybuilding. You will gain muscle more slowly, but it will be more functional and better for boxing. Check out my other posts on the subject for the science bits.

moneymayforever
07-16-2011, 08:03 AM
yeah, i'm quite serious so i might be able try that out :) and will also check your posts :) thanks :)

F l i c k e r
07-16-2011, 04:43 PM
I ordered the serious mass product today after seeing your post..100$ for 4kg I think..gonna pick it up on Tuesday.

you got the biggest one? lol

read the back label though, it normally gives advice on how to take it. something like 2 or 3 scoops for different amounts of weight you want to put on.

be sure to workout properly though, you know? if you want to put on weight and box, then of course you will want to put more emphasis into your boxing workouts while lifting weights 2nd. If you just want to get a good physique then lifting weights and a good amount of cardio is all that is needed.

that way you won't build useless muscle for boxing. boxing workouts and lifting weights for boxing will result in functional muscle for boxing.

~BoZz~
07-16-2011, 10:00 PM
you got the biggest one? lol

read the back label though, it normally gives advice on how to take it. something like 2 or 3 scoops for different amounts of weight you want to put on.

be sure to workout properly though, you know? if you want to put on weight and box, then of course you will want to put more emphasis into your boxing workouts while lifting weights 2nd. If you just want to get a good physique then lifting weights and a good amount of cardio is all that is needed.

that way you won't build useless muscle for boxing. boxing workouts and lifting weights for boxing will result in functional muscle for boxing.

I just want to bulk up,I think lifting 3 times a week and lifting heavy will do the job..I'm not doing boxing at the moment..I know that cardio is gonna burn my calories.Right now I weight about 85 kg I'm 192cm..I want to put on at least 6 or 7 kg.

Clegg
07-16-2011, 10:10 PM
Honestly, when it comes to boxing and martial arts, I wish I was tall for my weight. You should consider working on your outside skills, jab, right hand, controlling range etc.

Just my 2 cents, of course, everyone has their own goals.

moneymayforever
07-17-2011, 06:45 PM
i add my 3 scoops of whey protein with 300 ml of milk. lately i feel like my muscles have developed, im currently at 57 kg right now. actually instead of running im thinking of doing pad works for 30 minutes straight.

Earl Hickey
07-17-2011, 08:19 PM
I'm gaining weight currently too, I was on student allowance and under a lot of stress the first half of the years so couldn't/didnt want to eat properly.

Now fortunatley thats behind me and im looking at getting back in shape.

Here's what I usually eat in a day, and in only a couple of weeks i have gained 9lbs back already

6.00am
Protein Shake + Cereal Bar

7.30am
Steak (yes) and scrambled eggs

10am
Protein Shake + fruit and nuts

1.00pm
I get a large roast dinner from the food court at the mall I work in

3.30pm
Protein Shake + small can of tuna

6.00pm
Dinner (whatever I want, usually pasta or turkey salad)

9.00pm
Protein Shake

2 weeks ago my diet consisted of a burger king for dinner and that was about it i dropped over 40lbs in the last 6 months, this new diet was hard to handle at first, i had to force it down, but now im hungry all the time, and i am visably larger already, just keep eating man, and get plenty of workouts in so you don't just get fat, give it some time and you will start to gain

moneymayforever
07-17-2011, 10:37 PM
thanks all for your help, really appreciate it.

Jack3d
07-17-2011, 10:52 PM
I might be too late here with my bit of advice, but I would not advise buying a Mass Gainer shake for a few reasons.

1) The price per serving is garbage on almost all of them.
2) The main source of calories and the main ingredient in nearly all Mass Gainers is Maltodextrin which is basically just sugar and won't really help with producing quality gains

3) It is much cheaper and healthier to buy bulk Whey Protein and make your own shakes.

If you are going to buy a Gainer Shake though, use Up Your Mass by MHP the Carbohydrates in the shake aren't from Maltodextrin, they are from whole grains and oats. But once again $32 for just 17 servings. Not worth it.

Just Buy Whey Protein 2 scoops with peanut butter, banana and some uncooked oatmeal and you have a mass gainer shake.

Earl Hickey
07-18-2011, 01:09 AM
I might be too late here with my bit of advice, but I would not advise buying a Mass Gainer shake for a few reasons.

1) The price per serving is garbage on almost all of them.
2) The main source of calories and the main ingredient in nearly all Mass Gainers is Maltodextrin which is basically just sugar and won't really help with producing quality gains

3) It is much cheaper and healthier to buy bulk Whey Protein and make your own shakes.

If you are going to buy a Gainer Shake though, use Up Your Mass by MHP the Carbohydrates in the shake aren't from Maltodextrin, they are from whole grains and oats. But once again $32 for just 17 servings. Not worth it.

Just Buy Whey Protein 2 scoops with peanut butter, banana and some uncooked oatmeal and you have a mass gainer shake.

thanks for the shake idea, ill try those

moneymayforever
07-18-2011, 11:18 PM
me too, and my weight has been increasing :) i've never been happier! thanks to everyone!!