View Full Version : Whats the best way to gain speed?

XxLeftHook_
07-07-2011, 06:16 PM
I need to gain more speed specially with my jabs and uppercuts. What's the best drill or exercise?(other than the speed bag)

MexicanMauler
07-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Just hit the bag, tens of thousands of times, always use 16 oz gloves.
Use proper technique and the speed will come.
In your head, already picture yourself doing the combo really fast, and then do it te exact same way.

RurouniYume
07-07-2011, 09:51 PM
I need to gain more speed specially with my jabs and uppercuts. What's the best drill or exercise?(other than the speed bag)

jabs and uppercuts

Southpaw Stinger
07-07-2011, 10:14 PM
You have to chase a chicken.

Which I hear is what Pacquiao has been doing for some time now.

mathed
07-07-2011, 10:24 PM
A-side meth. Practice using 5 pound weights......when you have on regular gloves, you'll punch like lightning

RurouniYume
07-07-2011, 11:33 PM
You have to chase a chicken.

Which I hear is what Pacquiao has been doing for some time now.

that's in Rocky

gibo
07-08-2011, 02:02 AM
Speed is nothing without accuracy! You can be fast, but if you Can't hit your target you have nothing! Double end bags helps to improve accuracy.

XxLeftHook_
07-08-2011, 02:51 AM
Speed is nothing without accuracy! You can be fast, but if you Can't hit your target you have nothing! Double end bags helps to improve accuracy.

Accuracy I have trust on me on that but, its my speed I need to improve. I'm not slow, I would say I have average speed. All I need is more speed to go inside do a combo, then backout quickly before I get caught with a counter.

BOLLOCKS
07-08-2011, 03:19 AM
Step 1: Find yerself a drug dealer.

Step 2: Pay teh man!

Nate S.
07-08-2011, 02:49 PM
Lots of things help speed heavy bag work, target mitts are real good for that too, of course the speed bag, sparring, shadow boxing it all improves speed. Stick with it work hard youre speed will get better:boxing:

hayZ
07-08-2011, 03:33 PM
that's in Rocky

It was a joke, inferring mayweather is the chicken :boxing:

Southpaw Stinger
07-08-2011, 06:12 PM
that's in Rocky

Aye, Stallone's a *******.

JoeyNumbers
07-09-2011, 07:00 AM
lots of punching bag. lots. & by lots i mean years.

focus on ur timing & accuracy when you spar and learn to anticipate your opponents strikes. This will make you look like a speed demon to ur opponent.

Rockin'
07-09-2011, 07:27 AM
A-side meth. Practice using 5 pound weights......when you have on regular gloves, you'll punch like lightning

Whenever I shadowboxed I used 2lb weights in each hand max. I found that when using the 5lb weights I would tear up my shoulders throwing hooks. I was fighting at 154lbs. If you are a heavyweight 5lbs might work but I say stick to 2lbs if you're a lighter fighter. He is right though, when you put the weights down and put on your sparring gloves your hands feel like they are flying.

In putting combos together quicker you just need to limit the time between punches. Instead of 1-2-3 you just put them in there quicker, 123. That might not make sense how I worded that but if you mentally try to get them there in a faster sync it will happen...........Rockin':boxing:

KING MEAT
07-09-2011, 02:36 PM
slap a random black guy walking on teh street.

RurouniYume
07-09-2011, 02:42 PM
It was a joke, inferring mayweather is the chicken :boxing:
:rofl:
Aye, Stallone's a *******.

:rofl:

Be_kind_rewind
07-09-2011, 03:04 PM
Bro i learned this from some of the people in this forum and at my Gym.

Number one, boxing with weights don't really do ****. the moment you put down the weights that ilghtning fast feeling only last for a good ten minutes, and your hands just feel light because you were accustom to your muscles straining with ever punch. Plus when people use weights Because of the weiht you end up throwing shorter punches and there's less control meaning your losing technique, and hand control.

2. Before you get into the gym relax, You got to be relaxed, take some deep breath and calm yourself. now before you do anything (while deep breathing) Think of things that you find extremely fast. Like lightning or your favorite anime character do some hot ass flying kick... or jets... snakes and so on.. then visualize your self as one of those objects honestly convince yourself you have it in you to punch faster.

3. once your start shadowboxing learn to relax all your muscles all the while keeping the integrity of your punches, Don't turn your shadowboxing session into dragonballz and throw like a million punches... ( and don't talk for 3 episodes straight >.>) learn to throw swift accurate punches being relaxed if you do it right you should still be abe to throw punches with power behind it.

4. Now once you start hitting the bag remind your self, of the object breathe slowly and start off with jabs. Relax your self, so that none of your tighten muscles are restricting you from releasing your punches. Now if you were breathing as much i said you should be u lungs should be much more comfortable with exhaling out . Punching is not just physical but the faster and more precise you exhale the quicker you can let a punch go out, slower you do it the more powerful a punch will be.

5. Now all you should be doing is exhaling quickly, keeping yourself in right state of mind, staying relaxed ( being able to shoot out 4 fast punches from such a relaxed state throws people off ) , and throwing fast accurate punches. Make sure your punches stick DO NOT TAP THE BAG, MALE SURE your punches are sticking good enough. Do this for a a week, and you will feel faster mentally. do this for two weeks there will be an improvement in your jab and so on.

Edit: Or catch chickens.

GhostFighter
07-13-2011, 10:25 AM
IF u wanne be fast then train fast as if your life depends upon it

putaloco
07-13-2011, 12:05 PM
Accuracy I have trust on me on that but, its my speed I need to improve. I'm not slow, I would say I have average speed. All I need is more speed to go inside do a combo, then backout quickly before I get caught with a counter.
sounds like you need foot speed too. getting in n out is all in your footwork. try to jump rope fast, do some ladder drills and when shadow boxing practice going in throw a realistic inside combo then back out before your shadow can hit you.

red boy
07-14-2011, 11:53 AM
I find if i have stretched properly and am relaxed i throw punches much faster and with a lot more power.

You cannot underestimate the importance of making sure that you have stretched and warmed up properly, it just gets everything loose and free flowing.

sugersean15
07-17-2011, 10:14 PM
do lots of stretches

Boxjump
07-18-2011, 05:53 PM
Sure boxing and punching a lot etc is going to help.

But no one here has mentioned other forms of training. The body is an engine which needs to be developed. You just can't simply add horse power either because then the other parts of the engine won't work properly causing it to blow up.

What i'm basically saying is that the big muscles and energy system which is responsible for speed ALONG with the small assistive muscles, tendons and ligaments needs to be developed specifically for optimal speed development to happen.

Specific training that will develop punching speed include things like:

- Olympic lifting
- Weight training for speed (Bench press for example @30-50% max as fast as possible)
- Plyometric exercises (upper and lower body)
- Ballistic training using medicine ball and weight throwing (upper and lower body)
- Punches with resistance followed by normal punching (weights, under water, tubing)

These are some examples but there are many more variations. Overloading the body for speed/power development alongside regular boxing training will have a dramatic effect on speed and power gains...

Sergio11
07-18-2011, 06:03 PM
In my gym we ease off the power a good bit .That way you can throw more punches faster :boxing:

MRBOOMER
07-19-2011, 12:31 AM
The pool!:)
It's weight because of all that water helps with endurance, strength, speed,

Another thing check and see if your clinching your fist when you throw cause that will slow the punch down.

Or jump rope and weight lifting helps running and cardio basiclly because alot of time those work outs and things you do help every muscle and your body not just the one you using.

And stretch