View Full Version : Sprints...

KeepOnPushing
07-06-2011, 06:21 PM
hey guys for the most part i been doing my long distance running , jump roping , go to the gym every week as well and always do my work when im in there ..

one thing i have noticed is im looking really good on the bag, i look fast , hitting hard , able to go about 6-8 rounds now on the bag...

But for whatever reason when i sparr im struggling to even go 2 rounds, after round 2 im gassed.....why is that??....

when im running im not doing to much sprinting do i need to be doing those more??...

also when im sparring i feel very very slow , im not moving my head at all, my feet feel glued to the floor and everything i work on the bag with im not doing at all in the ring.

they had me sparr yesterday for the first time in about a month and i was excited because i felt like improved a lot with my running, jump roping and how i started to look on the bag , and when the sparring started i looked like a flat out dud and was gassed out by round 2..

if you're reading this can you maybe help me out with what im possibly doing wrong ...

also im a late starter with boxing this is i believe my 9th week with boxing, i played a different sport my entire life up until now , but i thought i made really good progress endurance wise but i was very let down by yesterday i was pretty upset when i left because i had been working very hard.

all help is appreciated.

KeepOnPushing
07-06-2011, 09:06 PM
Bump.............

T.Horton
07-06-2011, 09:31 PM
It's likely that you're tensing up when sparring which would make you expend a lot of energy.

Also, remember to concentrate on even breathing. Mouth closed.

T.Horton
07-06-2011, 09:33 PM
The key is to stay relaxed as much as possible.

T.Horton
07-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Also, in response to your running question. I like to do what I call walk/jog/runs where I jog for a km, sprint for about 50m and then walk until my heart rate starts to normalize. The extremes sort of mimic the speeds you would use while boxing so it makes most sense to me to do it that way.

Walt Liquor
07-06-2011, 11:01 PM
Whats giving first in your sParring? You wind, you legs or your shoulders?

You need to be doing some anaerobic training not just aerobic.

MePunchHard
07-07-2011, 09:37 AM
You've only been boxing for a short time so you are very tensed up and tight when you're in there with someone trying to hit you in the face. It happenes to everyone and goes away as you get more relaxed and comfortable.

Doesn't happen on the bag, becuase you don't have someone hitting you back, so you're not worried about it.

Sprinting is something you should do anyways though even when you get more comfortable.

Walt Liquor
07-07-2011, 09:59 AM
Not to mention you work at your own pace on the bags and dont have to expend energy on defense/getting hurt/footwork.

Rounds on a bag are NOTHING compared to actual sparring.

If your wind is the first thing to go: you need more anerobic training, sprint routines, imterval training like tim mentioned, or calesthetic routines that push you to fail and go straight to the next exercise. When you fight hard, yiur body draws off a different energy source than when you are moving consistently. (very crude description). Roadwork helps you to keep your wind when you're not going all out.

If your legs are the first thing to go, you gotta do more legs strengthening excercises. Jump squats for explosiveness, box jumps, squats, deadlifts (not heavy) are great for this.

If its your arms (which i doubt b/c you're fine in the bags), a good routine is to shadowbox with 6 or 8 lb weights. You dojt have to throw haymakers with them, just your combos amd keep your hands up the entire rounds.

KeepOnPushing
07-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Whats giving first in your sParring? You wind, you legs or your shoulders?

You need to be doing some anaerobic training not just aerobic.

Yea i get tired real quickly ..

KeepOnPushing
07-07-2011, 01:42 PM
Not to mention you work at your own pace on the bags and dont have to expend energy on defense/getting hurt/footwork.

Rounds on a bag are NOTHING compared to actual sparring.

If your wind is the first thing to go: you need more anerobic training, sprint routines, imterval training like tim mentioned, or calesthetic routines that push you to fail and go straight to the next exercise. When you fight hard, yiur body draws off a different energy source than when you are moving consistently. (very crude description). Roadwork helps you to keep your wind when you're not going all out.

If your legs are the first thing to go, you gotta do more legs strengthening excercises. Jump squats for explosiveness, box jumps, squats, deadlifts (not heavy) are great for this.

If its your arms (which i doubt b/c you're fine in the bags), a good routine is to shadowbox with 6 or 8 lb weights. You dojt have to throw haymakers with them, just your combos amd keep your hands up the entire rounds.

i really appreciate it , yea for the most part i just been doing distance running......

Check_hooks
07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
You absolutly need to do sprints. Run as hard as you can one day and then run for distance the next. You'll notice that you'll be running farther easier now.

You also might be taking too many body shots during sparring. Your legs are the first to go when you get hit with too many body shots unless you run hard during training.

KeepOnPushing
07-07-2011, 01:44 PM
just everything feels much different , my arms feel heavier even before things get started , im not moving around , im flat footed as can be....it's just real frustrating because in the drills with pad work and bag work i've came a long way already in a short time and look pretty decent for someone just doing it 9 weeks...

then i get in there during sparring and look brutal i was down about that cuz like i said i had been working pretty hard at it, and it seems like i took a huge step back when i thought i was improving.

KeepOnPushing
07-07-2011, 01:47 PM
You absolutly need to do sprints. Run as hard as you can one day and then run for distance the next. You'll notice that you'll be running farther easier now.

You also might be taking too many body shots during sparring. Your legs are the first to go when you get hit with too many body shots unless you run hard during training.

nah for the most part im not taking much body shots cuz' the other guy really does aim for the body.....

so i dunno what it is with me , maybe im not relaxing enough or something but i become a total different guy in there then on the outside, im slow in everthing i do , but on pads and bag im pretty damn quick and hit hard, pretty athletic with it.....but sparring i feel like a friggin slug and flat footed.

Chip2006uk
07-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Mate Ive always said you can look like a damn pro boxer on the bags and the pads but when you get in the ring you might look like ****.

Anyone can get good at hitting the bags or hitting the pads but it doesnt transfer into the ring just like that. You can get a guy to train for years and years on the bag, get him to the point where he looks like the best boxer on the planet, and then stick him in the ring and he'll probably get his ass kicked if hes never sparred in his life.

Hitting the bags and sparring is a completely different ballgame, the only way to get better at sparring is not by working harder on the bags or the pads but, you guessed it, by sparring.

You cant expect to just suddenly be able to box well just because you can hit the bag better than you used to. Like previous posters have said, the bag doesnt hit you back and although you might feel like you feel fit and quick when hitting the bags, its different when there is a guy trying to hit you back.

You have to be constantly on the ball, constantly ready to move your feet or your head, even if your body doesnt want to, you have to and thats what tires you out, whereas on the bag if you start to tire you can relax and give yourself maybe a second or two of rest because you know it wont do you any harm.

Just keep sparring, worry less about looking good on the bags and you'll improve in the ring.

KeepOnPushing
07-08-2011, 10:45 PM
Mate Ive always said you can look like a damn pro boxer on the bags and the pads but when you get in the ring you might look like ****.

Anyone can get good at hitting the bags or hitting the pads but it doesnt transfer into the ring just like that. You can get a guy to train for years and years on the bag, get him to the point where he looks like the best boxer on the planet, and then stick him in the ring and he'll probably get his ass kicked if hes never sparred in his life.

Hitting the bags and sparring is a completely different ballgame, the only way to get better at sparring is not by working harder on the bags or the pads but, you guessed it, by sparring.

You cant expect to just suddenly be able to box well just because you can hit the bag better than you used to. Like previous posters have said, the bag doesnt hit you back and although you might feel like you feel fit and quick when hitting the bags, its different when there is a guy trying to hit you back.

You have to be constantly on the ball, constantly ready to move your feet or your head, even if your body doesnt want to, you have to and thats what tires you out, whereas on the bag if you start to tire you can relax and give yourself maybe a second or two of rest because you know it wont do you any harm.

Just keep sparring, worry less about looking good on the bags and you'll improve in the ring.

Thank you very much , guess i'll just keep working hard at it and hopefully things eventually improve....

Be_kind_rewind
07-09-2011, 02:13 PM
It may be that your doing enough.

my uncle always told me something:
" You always gotta work to your fullest potential, Because you are never the best, there will be and always is someone better. His name is Billy badass, when you woke up 7 a.m he's just coming in from running 5 mils drinking pure portien and vitamins, while your toasting waffles. You just came from a 3 hour training session, He still hasn't got off the treadmill as a warm-up you went to sleep at 9 , billy went to sleep at 7... and when your out with your friends billy is running that extra mile you should've ran."