View Full Version : Running in the Heat

KeepOnPushing
07-02-2011, 08:36 PM
just a question for those hopefully i can get some good insight on this , for the most part i been doing all my running middle of the day in the heat , it's summer here and it's been about 96-98 Degrees on the average so my question is do i actually gain anything by doing this??

most of the time folks run early in the morning and it's a lot cooler and probably can go for a longer time ..

i feel like i sweat way more running in this type of weather and it's more of a mental thing also , i've worked myself up to 4-6 Miles , i haven't been boxing long at maybe probably about 2 months and 2 weeks to be exact...i was already running some before i signed up.

so am i benefiting running in the blazing heat or am i fooling myself and really not gaining much at all? someone told me it burns off more body fat than running in the morning.

all help is appreciated and thank you.

jjbj2
07-02-2011, 09:08 PM
just a question for those hopefully i can get some good insight on this , for the most part i been doing all my running middle of the day in the heat , it's summer here and it's been about 96-98 Degrees on the average so my question is do i actually gain anything by doing this??

most of the time folks run early in the morning and it's a lot cooler and probably can go for a longer time ..

i feel like i sweat way more running in this type of weather and it's more of a mental thing also , i've worked myself up to 4-6 Miles , i haven't been boxing long at maybe probably about 2 months and 2 weeks to be exact...i was already running some before i signed up.

so am i benefiting running in the blazing heat or am i fooling myself and really not gaining much at all? someone told me it burns off more body fat than running in the morning.

all help is appreciated and thank you.

No you aren't doing any favors for yourself. You aren't burning more weight off if you think that since it is way hotter then you sweat more. Wrong. You are just exposing yourself to skin cancer. Another thing, you are exposing your lungs to air pollution since there are more vehicles on the streets.

Better for you to run in the morning to get it out of the way or at night to have a cooler environment to run. Also, running at the hottest time makes for the shortest run because you sweat more water out of your body and dehydrates you quicker.

F l i c k e r
07-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Yes. You are but not anything hugely significant.

Handling the heat can aid you mentally. Running in the heat, your body is uncomfortable, and exhausted easily. Being used to that can help when your in an uncomfortable spot during a match.

But like I said. Nothing vastly significant.

Marquez and Margarito run in the deserts of Mexico in the afternoon. But then you have Floyd who runs at night.

See what I mean?

mushahadeen
07-02-2011, 10:01 PM
i used to run in the heat w/ a beanie on and a jacket. i thought it would help me mentally. give me a mental edge.

i guess it did. but whatever. there's no way in hell i'm doing that again. it was torture.

KeepOnPushing
07-03-2011, 12:55 AM
Thank you very much for all the responses...so much appreciated.

RurouniYume
07-03-2011, 02:45 AM
you're loosing more water and risking heat stroke/exhaustion. Any additional weight you lose will be water weight compared to running in the morning, you will struggle more to stay hydrated and healthy. Bad idea imo

josh-hill
07-03-2011, 01:29 PM
acturaly each gram of sweat cost 2 calories, so you are burining extra fat. people use special sweat suits when exercising to make them sweat more. i have a friend that always runs in a hoddie and tapout beanie. in the middle of summer. he swears by it. HOWEVER make sure you dont get dehydrated or heatstroke.

KeepOnPushing
07-03-2011, 02:45 PM
Think i'll start doing it in between , not so much mid day where the heat is at it's peak and not super early , just enough where i can sweat but also like ya'll said not risk a heat stroke or dehydrated....

MePunchHard
07-03-2011, 03:33 PM
You may be hurting if if you can't run as fast/far due to he heat making you tired quicker.

alza1988
07-03-2011, 05:09 PM
I think the heat's alot better because the intensity tbh .The more you sweat the more calories you burn so I say if you fight at a lower weight class the best time is the heat

SURVIVOR EYE OF THE TIGER
Face to face, out in the heat
Hangin' tough, stayin' hungry
They stack the odds 'til we take to the street
For we kill with the skill to survive

chorus

Risin' up, straight to the top
Have the guts, got the glory
Went the distance, now I'm not gonna stop
Just a man and his will to survive
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/QivOSmES9-s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

SUPREME.
07-05-2011, 11:18 PM
Some of these guys don't know what they're talking about.

Running in the heat will cause you to lose more weight cause of the extra sweat you are doing. Just make sure you drink a little water so you don't fall out and you'll be fine.

I do it all the time.

Clegg
07-06-2011, 02:19 PM
^^Yeah, and then once you drink water you'll gain the weight back.

Losing water weight is not the same as losing fat.

alza1988
07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
I'd say the more you sweat the more calories you burn so the intensity of the heat has got to skyrocket fat burning as well .It's intensity that burns fat fastest .The more intense the training the more you sweat whether it's 10 miles run in the winter or 5 in the summer .

KeepOnPushing
07-06-2011, 05:57 PM
^^Yeah, and then once you drink water you'll gain the weight back.

Losing water weight is not the same as losing fat.

i will admit this has been happening to me

BostonGuy
07-06-2011, 07:56 PM
I wouldn't run too long a distance during a scorching hot day. Every year, it seems like we hear of story where a football player collapses and dies due to heat exhaustion.

T.Horton
07-06-2011, 08:07 PM
Some of these guys don't know what they're talking about.

Running in the heat will cause you to lose more weight cause of the extra sweat you are doing. Just make sure you drink a little water so you don't fall out and you'll be fine.

I do it all the time.same here.

Walt Liquor
07-06-2011, 11:14 PM
same here.

Me too, i switch it up, sometimes in the am, sometimes around 2-3. People telling you not to do it, most likely dont do it cuz its hard, waaaay harder. Just make sure to run for the same length of time.. The differences in distance can be extreme, but you're pushing your body hard running outside durning the day.

I ran on a treadmill for am hr today and it was a piece of cake, much easier than months ago now that ive been consistsntly running outside... Just make sure you dont fuk up ur body amd stay hydrated...

Anything that's more strenuous will kake you tougher. Like working out outside compared to a nice comfy gym..its laughable if you think its not.

Now if differejt pros run in different places, ok whatever, these guys are pros. Amd there's a million other ways to compensate.

My friend does ironmans. You think he'd rather do one in the fall in new york, or the summer in miami?????

SUPREME.
07-06-2011, 11:31 PM
Okay, so how do you efficiently burn fat by running instead of losing water weight?

Walt Liquor
07-07-2011, 09:46 AM
Okay, so how do you efficiently burn fat by running instead of losing water weight?

Apparently one can only not burn water weight if they run in comfortable temperatures...

Clegg
07-07-2011, 09:53 AM
Apparently one can only not burn water weight if they run in comfortable temperatures...

Not sure what anyone else thinks, but the part I was disagreeing with is when he said "you will lose more weight because you will sweat more".

Whether it's boiling hot or freezing cold, any water someone's body loses from sweating will just be replaced next time they drink water.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't run in the heat, just that if they sweat buckets and then weigh themselves and see that they've lost weight, most of it isn't going to be fat.

Walt Liquor
07-07-2011, 10:12 AM
Not sure what anyone else thinks, but the part I was disagreeing with is when he said "you will lose more weight because you will sweat more".

Whether it's boiling hot or freezing cold, any water someone's body loses from sweating will just be replaced next time they drink water.

I'm not saying that people shouldn't run in the heat, just that if they sweat buckets and then weigh themselves and see that they've lost weight, most of it isn't going to be fat.

Im more just starting shi t with everyone. Running in the heat is just harder, as long as you run for the same amt of time and similar pace you're gonma burn the right calories that you're gonna burn. Additional water weight will get burned im the heat.

Real benefit is that its hard on you, when i run in the early am or on a treadmill, its a piece of cake, i feel like its almost doing nothing. But in the heat im humping starting at a mile and a half.

SUPREME.
07-07-2011, 11:10 PM
Okay Clegg, how would a person efficiently lose fat and not water weight by running?

Clegg
07-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Okay Clegg, how would a person efficiently lose fat and not water weight by running?

You will lose fat by running whatever the circumstances are. All I'm saying is that the extra sweat doesn't make a difference to fat loss because we sweat out water. But just because you lose water weight doesn't mean you don't lose fat as well. When you exercise, your body doesn't use water as a fuel instead of fat or vice versa. Sometimes people lose a lot of weight very fast after changing their diet or doing heavy exercise and they think that all of it is fat when it isn't. I have made that mistake myself in the past.

It's like when boxers make weight. They are able to cut 10lb+ weight, and they do that by dehydrating themselves. But of course their weigh in weight isn't their true weight and they put the 10lbs back on within 24 hours leading up to the fight.

TBH if I wanted to lose weight I would either do it through changing my diet in a big way or taking up a high intensity sport like boxing. That has worked for me in the past.

Walt Liquor
07-08-2011, 01:37 PM
when you run outside in the heat, you sweat for hours after you're done, even after you shower. when I run in the cool or in a gym, as soon as I take a shower I'm fine, no sweating.

it's gotta be better for your metabolism or burn something more than water.

SUPREME.
07-08-2011, 03:35 PM
You're spot on Walt Liquor.

I don't think Clegg quite knows what he's talking about.

Or maybe i'm not understanding where he's trying to come from no disrespect though.

Walt Liquor
07-08-2011, 03:59 PM

Or maybe i'm not understanding where he's trying to come from no disrespect though.

to be fair, more people than clegg said there was no difference and you just lose more water weight.....

Clegg
07-08-2011, 04:38 PM
when you run outside in the heat, you sweat for hours after you're done, even after you shower. when I run in the cool or in a gym, as soon as I take a shower I'm fine, no sweating.

it's gotta be better for your metabolism or burn something more than water.

Right, but it's not the sweating that is making you lose fat.

If your body temperature is higher then you'll use more energy/burn more calories. If your body temperature is higher then you'll sweat more.

But the sweating doesn't cause fat loss, they're just both effects of the same thing, and you can't judge how much fat you've lost in a day/exercise session/whatever by how much you've sweated.

Also, they say that low-intensity exercise is good for losing fat during the exercise, but that usually doesn't make you sweat. High intensity exercise sometimes doesn't actually burn that much fat while you're doing it, because your body cannot break down the fat fast enough for its needs so it uses glycogen instead. But high intensity exercise increases your metabolism and results in fat burning for the next 24 hours or so (like you're saying in your post about being hot later) whereas low-intensity exercise doesn't.

to be fair, more people than clegg said there was no difference and you just lose more water weight.....

This seems to be where the misunderstanding is coming from.

I haven't said that running in the heat is good for you, bad for you, burns less fat, more fat, whatever.

All I said is that if you lose weight from sweating, then of course it's water weight, because that's what sweat is made of.

None taken. You're entitled to your opinion. At the end of the day I have been overweight before and lost it, and tried different diets/exercising and read different stuff. So if I'm wrong so be it but I speak based upon the different things I've read over the years.

Southpaw Stinger
07-08-2011, 05:20 PM
I can't do anything in the heat. Wouldn't even run to the toilet if I were pissing meself.

KeepOnPushing
07-08-2011, 10:43 PM
Like someone else said and this has been true with me also , when i have ran in much cooler areas it's like im not being pushed and when the running is over i'm like "Thats it" .....but in the heat after i barely get pass a mile im thinking "Geez i got how many more to go????!" ....

maybe i should have asked my question somewhat in a better way .

and one other thing maybe someone can help with, sorry for all the questions, But can you lose too much weight to quickly??.....because i've lost about 12 or 13 pounds in about 9 weeks and im just starting to feel very weak physically and even going backwards with some of the conditioning drills..

Walt Liquor
07-09-2011, 08:20 PM
Like someone else said and this has been true with me also , when i have ran in much cooler areas it's like im not being pushed and when the running is over i'm like "Thats it" .....but in the heat after i barely get pass a mile im thinking "Geez i got how many more to go????!" ....

maybe i should have asked my question somewhat in a better way .

and one other thing maybe someone can help with, sorry for all the questions, But can you lose too much weight to quickly??.....because i've lost about 12 or 13 pounds in about 9 weeks and im just starting to feel very weak physically and even going backwards with some of the conditioning drills..

You gotta eat rite, hydrate, and get rest.

Walt Liquor
07-09-2011, 08:23 PM
Clegg, they're always trying to sell me on that low intensity fat burning workout stuff, but it takes forever. Ive had much better luck jogging/running/intervels etc.

Although it doesnt seem to be working that great for me right now

Clegg
07-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Clegg, they're always trying to sell me on that low intensity fat burning workout stuff, but it takes forever. Ive had much better luck jogging/running/intervels etc.

Although it doesnt seem to be working that great for me right now

Yeah, I tried it for a while last summer, getting up early, not eating anything and going for a long walk. Pretty tedious, especially as there aren't that many places nearby worth walking around every day. I think it might have helped a bit but not enough to make it worth the time/effort.

BOLLOCKS
07-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Aye, wake up in teh morning and follow teh school girls to school, and when you get there, you remember you're in yer 20's and don't go to school anymore.

Clegg
07-09-2011, 08:55 PM
Aye, wake up in teh morning and follow teh school girls to school, and when you get there, you remember you're in yer 20's and don't go to school anymore.

You seen this newish show, 'The Killing'? It's about a 17 year old beezy who got killed and the cops trying to find out who did it.

I started watching recently, about to stick on the last ep of the series.

It's good, but it's a bit streched out. A bit like her ***** from all the girls she was ****ing, dirty jailbait ho :nonono: :wank:

I finally changed the Katy av, not sure if this new one is worth keep for long though, it doesn't look quite right.

BOLLOCKS
07-09-2011, 08:56 PM
I tried to watch teh first ep, but I got bored after less than a min. I'll try to watch it again, sometime. Nice new av, innit.

Clegg
07-09-2011, 09:00 PM
I tried to watch teh first ep, but I got bored after less than a min. I'll try to watch it again, sometime. Nice new av, innit.

It's a decent show but kinda like a non-sciency CSI stretched out over 13 eps. It would've been better with less filler and stuff about the cop beezy's son and stuff.

Wazaa..
07-09-2011, 09:14 PM
Running in the heat won't do anything for your weight loss because the loss is only water weight, the advantages lie in increasing your toughness and endurance.

If you could do sprints, and long runs in 90 degree heat without being a *****, you'll surely be tough enough to do it in a moderate climate.

Its an exercise in psychology.

Running in the heat is all about toughening yourself up. Just make sure you bring water so you don't collapse. Otherwise its definitely a good workout to keep in your repertoire so long as you understand why you're doing it.

fatburnquest
07-12-2011, 05:20 AM
Youll sweat a lot more so you will lose more water but you wont be able to go for as long so you wont get the benifits of a good hard run.

KeepOnPushing
07-12-2011, 03:54 PM
You gotta eat rite, hydrate, and get rest.

I Appreciate it

KeepOnPushing
07-12-2011, 03:59 PM
Running in the heat won't do anything for your weight loss because the loss is only water weight, the advantages lie in increasing your toughness and endurance.

If you could do sprints, and long runs in 90 degree heat without being a *****, you'll surely be tough enough to do it in a moderate climate.

Its an exercise in psychology.

Running in the heat is all about toughening yourself up. Just make sure you bring water so you don't collapse. Otherwise its definitely a good workout to keep in your repertoire so long as you understand why you're doing it.

yea im gonna put 2gether a personal schedule, i plan on cutting down running in the heat so much so i can run longer, i may just do it once or twice during the week for the purposes you just stated, because it does make me toughin up when i reach a certain point , because i'll get to a point where im like "F*CK!" and i just hot and just gotta keep going , so it does help me there

but everything i have read in here for the most part is showing to be true, im just sweating out water weight , but not being able to run as long as i need to be......So i'm gonna cut down how much i run in the heat

GhostFighter
07-13-2011, 10:12 AM
I like to run with the sunrise and sunsets, beautiful skies smoothers my heart and brings inner peace, i pitty city folk who are unable to witness becuz of all buildings blocking the view.

frosty-g
07-17-2011, 03:19 PM
it's useful if you're going to have to make weight at any point as it's conditioning your body to be able to shed that much water and therefore it is much easier to dehydrate fully when you need to for making weight and you'll handle it better. you'll also rehydrate more comfortably after making weight which is very important.

yes the water you lose from running in hot temperatures (or with sweatsuits etc) does get put back on when you drink/eat- depending on how much you drink/eat of course (ie if you take in less than you sweated out then your weight will be lighter for a while).

another bonus is that when fighting you won't be gasping for water as the conditions will be unlikely to be as bad as those you were running in.

ghns1133
07-17-2011, 03:30 PM
wake up a 3:00 am run from 330 to 430. then go back to sleep. then wake up and drink some jack dainels and masturbate!

kingkon216
08-05-2011, 06:45 PM
no keep running in the heat when your bodies heated up its working harder and burning more calories but keep in mind you burn the same amount running as you do walking. however when youre really hot and running youre bodys working harder so i say keep it up push yourself to the limit but be careful with the heat and drink lots and lots of water buy the gallon jugs from cvs or stop&shop