View Full Version : What did we learn from Strikeforce Dallas?

$BloodyNate$
06-19-2011, 01:13 AM
I learned...

-Griggs is somebody to watch out for, definitely not just a journeyman yet as he beat the ultimate heavyweight journeyman.

-KJ Noons isn't that much better at lightweight then welterweight. Masdival definitely put himself on the map, hell of a fight!

-Cormier is a pretty good prospect to watch. Jeff Monson is totally washed up, should retire although it's sad he's probably just doing this for a paycheck at this point. Still think Cormier should drop down I think though. Not that impressive, anybody else would have stopped Monson.

-Brett Rogers is already past it if he even had a prime. Nothing more then a journeyman. Josh Barnett still has the skills to be a top 5 heavyweight if he keeps winning and doesn't get caught with steroids again.

-Overeem still gotta gas tank problem, can be hurt, is not some SUPER HUMAN WRECKING MACHINE that everybody thought he we. But makes it into my top 5.

-People were starting to doubt Dos Santos power....ARE YOU ****IN KIDDIN' ME? Dos Santos sparked Werdum out in 1 round, Werdum got an iron chin too.

-Cain Valasquez and Dos Santos are the #1 & #2 Heavyweights in the world. No doubt about that now...

Anything else? Anybody disagree with anything?

G A M E
06-19-2011, 01:22 AM
reem gotta put in some work... think his hype got to him. his stam is shockingly bad, I remember in the k1 he was puffing like *****. Cormier needs to drop down to 205.. strip that baby fat son!!!

$BloodyNate$
06-19-2011, 01:24 AM
reem gotta put in some work... think his hype got to him. his stam is shockingly bad, I remember in the k1 he was puffing like *****. Cormier needs to drop down to 205.. strip that baby fat son!!!

yeah Overeem really really let it get to him badly. It happens to the best of them though. Even Fedor by being crazy enough to go in Werdum's guard.

I think if Silva vs Overeem goes longer then 2-3 minutes into the 2nd, Silva will stop him late in the 2nd or 3rd. Just gotta survive that 1st round with Reem!

Kakutogi-Gumi
06-19-2011, 01:24 AM
Gus Johnson is a waste of air time

$BloodyNate$
06-19-2011, 01:26 AM

hahaha yeah, how the **** he still has job after EliteXC died with that "GREATEST UPSET IN MMA HISTORRRRRRYYYYYYYYYY!" when Kimbo got KO'd is a ****in joke.

The Golden Boy
06-19-2011, 01:40 AM
I learned...
-Cormier is a pretty good prospect to watch. Jeff Monson is totally washed up, should retire although it's sad he's probably just doing this for a paycheck at this point. Still think Cormier should drop down I think though. Not that impressive, anybody else would have stopped Monson.

Anything else? Anybody disagree with anything?

I disagree with this. I thought Cormier looked great, his boxing was sharp, he had great head movement, was really mixing up his strikes and was patient when he had Monson hurt. Not saying you have it but I hate this whole mentality of you have to finish someone to be impressive. Once again, I thought he looked great.

In regards to the weight cut I dont think that will be something we will see anytime soon. You gotta remember this is a guy who had to drop out of Bejing because his kidney's failed trying to cut to 211, let alone trying to make 205.

Other than that I pretty much agree with everything you had to say, good post! ;D

Boxingtech718v2
Overeem is a beast for the first 5 min's of any bout after that he's and average HW.

He better hit cardio hard or he is going to pull a Brock and gas and lose.

G A M E

hahaha yeah, how the **** he still has job after EliteXC died with that "GREATEST UPSET IN MMA HISTORRRRRRYYYYYYYYYY!" when Kimbo got KO'd is a ****in joke.

dude prolly sucked someone off at strikeforce.. he is hopeless.

bring back bas:trink26:

G A M E
06-19-2011, 01:50 AM
I disagree with this. I thought Cormier looked great, his boxing was sharp, he had great head movement, was really mixing up his strikes and was patient when he had Monson hurt. Not saying you have it but I hate this whole mentality of you have to finish someone to be impressive. Once again, I thought he looked great.

In regards to the weight cut I dont think that will be something we will see anytime soon. You gotta remember this is a guy who had to drop out of Bejing because his kidney's failed trying to cut to 211, let alone trying to make 205.

Other than that I pretty much agree with everything you had to say, good post! ;D

DAMN...

another fedor-ish body type HW, not that its a bad thing.. just think he'll do well in 205.

$BloodyNate$
06-19-2011, 01:50 AM

yeah it did win dominantly it just IDK he didn't really look like a threat to anybody elite either. I mean he's still young. But the wrestling cutting is crazier, he could do it if he did the right way with time. Their's the unhealthy way of draining your body in a few days or weeks and theirs the healthy way of slowly doing it overtime. Ain't impossible.

Overeem is a beast for the first 5 min's of any bout after that he's and average HW.

He better hit cardio hard or he is going to pull a Brock and gas and lose.

Agreed. He needs a jab too. He would have dominated with it because he could have controlled distance, Werdum saw all his bombs coming.

dude prolly sucked someone off at strikeforce.. he is hopeless.

bring back bas:trink26:

hahaha damn straight! Bas is the ****in man. I don't know why the **** tv stations put up with Gus's nonsense. Anybody else could do his job 10x better. What type of ****in retard considers Kimbo Slice a great MMA fighter after beating up bums? Was it really that hard to believe a seasoned vet like Seth Petruzzeli could beat him? That was his hardest fight to that date.

Nick Fury
06-19-2011, 01:57 AM
Masvidal will beat Melendez. Ive been saying it for awhile now, he gets slept on too much.

Masvidal will be the #1 lightweight in 3 years.

$BloodyNate$
06-19-2011, 02:20 AM
Masvidal will beat Melendez. Ive been saying it for awhile now, he gets slept on too much.

Masvidal will be the #1 lightweight in 3 years.

I don't man haha. I mean I wouldn't mind be proven wrong but I think Melendez's wrestling would win him a badass action fight decision or late stoppage but I think his wrestling would make the difference especially since his stand up is pretty good and his ground game wrestling & submission are almost 2nd to none ALMOST. ONly a few have better all around ground games.

Would be a hell of a fight though and I can't wait!

Big BRICKS
06-19-2011, 04:21 AM
i learned that i could probably knock overeem out

****in plastered "peeleft:

ƒallenloki
06-19-2011, 05:20 AM
Good list, nate.

Las Vegas,
06-19-2011, 09:01 AM
The Reem vs. Werdum fight reminded me of the first Shamrock vs. Gracie fight.

southcentralcar
06-19-2011, 09:28 AM

its not like hes losing muscle mass. hes ****in FAT and of course he can drop it to 205. kidney failed cuz he did the weight cutting wrong.

Virgil Caine
06-19-2011, 12:42 PM
Werdum gassed harder than Overeem imo. He flopped to the ground so many times that he burned himself up getting back up. This was evident by early in the second round.

I disagree with the JDS comparison. Simply put, the KO by JDS was a one punch knockout by a hard uppercut that Werdum didn't see coming because of the angle. The ones you don't see are the most dangerous. Nice MMAth though.

ƒallenloki
06-19-2011, 01:04 PM
Werdum gassed bad.

I thought he injured his knee when he was having trouble getting back up. lol.

kaps
06-19-2011, 02:31 PM
"The best HW Striker" was out struck by Werdum...

$BloodyNate$
06-19-2011, 03:03 PM
I disagree with the JDS comparison. Simply put, the KO by JDS was a one punch knockout by a hard uppercut that Werdum didn't see coming because of the angle. The ones you don't see are the most dangerous. Nice MMAth though.

What MMAmath? I never said Dos Santos would beat any in particular. People were doubting his power after the Carwin & Nelson fights since he didn't finish them.

MARKBNLV
06-19-2011, 08:54 PM
Frank Shamrock looks like he is tweeking,and whats up with the braces he has had them for a long time.Overeem sucks he gets smashed by any of the top 5 at hw.Kj Noons cant box at all,and Josh Barnett is a fcking animal.

Virgil Caine
06-19-2011, 11:17 PM
What MMAmath? I never said Dos Santos would beat any in particular. People were doubting his power after the Carwin & Nelson fights since he didn't finish them.

JDS kayoing Werdum in a fight + Overeem not kayoing Werdum in a different fight = JDS has more power than Werdum.

Looks like MMAth to me.

$BloodyNate$
06-19-2011, 11:24 PM
JDS kayoing Werdum in a fight + Overeem not kayoing Werdum in a different fight = JDS has more power than Werdum.

Looks like MMAth to me.

Isn't that an obvious fact? :weed5:

Virgil Caine
06-20-2011, 03:06 AM
Isn't that an obvious fact? :weed5:

I meant to say "JDS has more power than Overeem" not Werdum.

Btw, Overeem is a much more dangerous striker than JDS imo. If they were to fight I see JDS being knocked out.

Marchegiano
06-20-2011, 03:13 AM
Lowry/Marciano?

No doubt Rocky hit harder than both Ted Lowry and Harry Mathews

Rocky KO's Mathews in the 2nd, Mathews KO's Lowry in the 5th, Rocky couldn't KO Lowry in 2 fights....UD's...

Rudyo
06-20-2011, 09:04 PM
Masvidal is the truth, I've been saying it since the Daley fight where he lost but gave a good performance and almost took the fight. Since then with the Evangelista and now Noons wins, he seems to be improving every fight especially in the stand-up. I'm not ready to say that he will definitely beat Melendez because Gilbert looked like a straight up killer against Kawajiri, but I CANNOT wait for that fight to happen. It's going to be a war.

Jack3d
06-20-2011, 09:14 PM
I meant to say "JDS has more power than Overeem" not Werdum.

That is just not true at all. Overeem put Fujita in a coma. Who else has done that?

$BloodyNate$
06-20-2011, 09:16 PM
That is just not true at all. Overeem put Fujita in a coma. Who else has done that?

the ****ers 40 years old hahaha don't act like thats some accomplishment.

Jack3d
06-20-2011, 09:21 PM
the ****ers 40 years old hahaha don't act like thats some accomplishment.

It is. Who else has managed to knock him out? Silva? No. Fedor? No. Cro Cop? No.

Fujita has an Brick on his shoulders and Overeem has him carried out of the ring on a stretcher from one shot.

Overeem has more power.

Who exactly has JDS knocked out that even has a decent chin, or striking for that matter?

Rudyo
06-20-2011, 10:15 PM
It is. Who else has managed to knock him out?

Travis Wiuff knocked him out him the fight before he fought Overeem. I don't think anything else needs to be said other then that.

Jack3d
06-20-2011, 10:18 PM
Travis Wiuff knocked him out him the fight before he fought Overeem. I don't think anything else needs to be said other then that.

TKO =/= KO.

What did you just pull up Sherdog fight finder or did you actually watch the fights?

Rudyo
06-20-2011, 10:23 PM
TKO =/= KO.

What did you just pull up Sherdog fight finder or did you actually watch the fights?

I watched the fight, I doubt you did though (don't even mean that as an insult, I doubt a lot of people saw it) and here's a little gif for you

http://i32.tinypic.com/6jj2u1.jpg

Not the best gif but Wiuff did hurt Fujita at multiple points with punches he would have laughed at earlier in his career. He got stopepd by a crisp jab against Wiuff, kinda makes Overeem's win less impressive.

Virgil Caine
06-21-2011, 10:28 AM

I was correcting my post. I accidentally typed Werdum's name instead of Overeem. I was meaning to imply that the idea that JDS is a harder striker than Overeem because JDS kayoed Werdum and Overeem didn't is false, and that Overeem is the more powerful striker.

Jack3d
06-21-2011, 01:58 PM
I was correcting my post. I accidentally typed Werdum's name instead of Overeem. I was meaning to imply that the idea that JDS is a harder striker than Overeem because JDS kayoed Werdum and Overeem didn't is false, and that Overeem is the more powerful striker.

My mistake then

Big BRICKS
06-21-2011, 03:04 PM
You guys are acting like Overeem didn't just come out of a fight where the main goal was to keep the fight off of the ground.

JDS is the man, but as far as him being a superior striker or having more knockout power than Overeem? You guys must be retarded. Don't act like Alistair didn't just win the K1 Heavyweight GP, there's really nothing else you need to see in order to call him the better stand up fighter. What, does he have to KTFO Schilt as well now?

This MMA math bull**** that you guys are basing your opinions off is just that, bull****. Cro Cop, Nog, Schilt, Coleman, Randleman, Herring and 20 something other folks failed to stop Fedor, but Werdum did, so he's superior to everyone else? Fact is it's a fight, people. JDS knocking Werdum out was spectacular, but was it really that unforeseeable? A heavy handed UFC rookie striker getting tossed into the cage with a seasoned veteran in Werdum, who was getting back into contention after two stoppages over Gonzaga and Vera. JDS was nothing more than a tuner fight for Werdum, which he took advantage of by training hard and finishing the fight, launching his own career.

Overeem is the superior striker in this situation, with a superior kickboxing, submission grappling and MMA résumé. Fact is, that doesn't make him the victor. It is WHO COMES TO FIGHT.

I'd pick JDS by decision.

blaze778
06-21-2011, 09:29 PM
;10715809']The Reem vs. Werdum fight reminded me of the first Shamrock vs. Gracie fight.

Yeah, also reminded me of the Silva/Leitas just not nearly as ridiculous.

Overeem may have looked human in the fight, but Werdum looked horrible. Outside of landing some pretty good punches, which could have been the cause of Overeem's lack of respect for Werdum striking ability and just over-confidence.

Also, Werdum's takedown attempts can be seen a mile away.

I think JDS would win a decision or get a late KO/TKO over Overeem. Not writing out Overeem and even though I see him losing, he has a better chance of knocking out Dos Santos than he ever did with Werdum. JDS will stand and fight with Reem, but Werdum outside of a couple of combos was basically butt-flopping the entire fight and milking the time whenever he had to stand up.

Virgil Caine
06-22-2011, 01:32 AM
You guys are acting like Overeem didn't just come out of a fight where the main goal was to keep the fight off of the ground.

JDS is the man, but as far as him being a superior striker or having more knockout power than Overeem? You guys must be retarded. Don't act like Alistair didn't just win the K1 Heavyweight GP, there's really nothing else you need to see in order to call him the better stand up fighter. What, does he have to KTFO Schilt as well now?

This MMA math bull**** that you guys are basing your opinions off is just that, bull****. Cro Cop, Nog, Schilt, Coleman, Randleman, Herring and 20 something other folks failed to stop Fedor, but Werdum did, so he's superior to everyone else? Fact is it's a fight, people. JDS knocking Werdum out was spectacular, but was it really that unforeseeable? A heavy handed UFC rookie striker getting tossed into the cage with a seasoned veteran in Werdum, who was getting back into contention after two stoppages over Gonzaga and Vera. JDS was nothing more than a tuner fight for Werdum, which he took advantage of by training hard and finishing the fight, launching his own career.

Overeem is the superior striker in this situation, with a superior kickboxing, submission grappling and MMA résumé. Fact is, that doesn't make him the victor. It is WHO COMES TO FIGHT.

I'd pick JDS by decision.

No one really suggested JDS was a better striker. Nate sort of intimated that he was more powerful than Reem because he kayoed Werdum, which is obviously a retarded argument. I tried to respond, but garbled my posts by at first replacing Overeem's name with Werdum by accident. No one is debate over who is the better striker, just some ****ed up posts on my part created the confusion.

shadyivlife
06-22-2011, 01:34 PM
I learned that one fighter that only wants to fight on the ground vs. one fighter that only wants to fight standing up can lead to an EXTREMELY SH*TTY fight.

$BloodyNate$
06-23-2011, 04:33 PM
No one really suggested JDS was a better striker. Nate sort of intimated that he was more powerful than Reem because he kayoed Werdum, which is obviously a retarded argument. I tried to respond, but garbled my posts by at first replacing Overeem's name with Werdum by accident. No one is debate over who is the better striker, just some ****ed up posts on my part created the confusion.

JDS is the bigger puncher, Overeem definitely hits harder with his legs because JDS barely uses his. And a kick and a knee is always more powerful then a punch. And I believe my exact words were "does anybody doubt JDS's power now?" People seem to forget he knocked Werdum out when Overeem didn't is all I'm saying. Not JDS strikes harder then Overeem but he definitely punches harder.

People that want to suck on his dick whatever, he looked horrible whether your blinded by his dick or not and Werdum could have got that decision without much complaint. Overeem could have done lil things to win easier like jab but he's a kicker. I never said he was a bad fighter but just that he's not the unhuman superman everybody was making him out to be.

Marchegiano
06-24-2011, 09:32 AM
Well you can ignore it, but i've given an example, and boxing's got lots of 'em, of fighter A knocking out fighter B and fighter C knocking out fighter A but can't knock out but can't knock out B.

Marciano's one of the hardest hitters of all time. He's a mentionable at least. Harry Mathews is not....Lowry was a bum...should been an easy KO...in two fights Rocky never KO'd Lowry... caught him plenty but couldn't bring him down. KO's arn't all about power...placment does have a factor. Hand size has a factor....and so on

But then again I must be on the reem's dick...cause JDS KO'd werdum, and Overeem didn't, and I still think Overeem's punches have better form and more power..with the exception being that sweet ****ing JDS uppercut. The Reem doesn't throw them.

The chick in your sig has a bad case of tranny face....