View Full Version : Jose Luis Lopez

Steak
06-18-2011, 02:27 PM
Anyone remember this tank from the 90s? sort of like a Margarito, but was much more of a power puncher than a volume puncher. Apparently was one of those guys that didnt train whatsoever and could just go in there to beat the **** out of you.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BorHIR0dmDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/biREkPhrvbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Pastrano
06-18-2011, 05:06 PM
Anyone remember this tank from the 90s? sort of like a Margarito, but was much more of a power puncher than a volume puncher. Apparently was one of those guys that didnt train whatsoever and could just go in there to beat the **** out of you.
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/BorHIR0dmDo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/biREkPhrvbg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I sure do! But you should show his fight vs Quartey, that was his peak performance. I think he got robbed in that fight really, he won it clearly imo and almost stopped the unstoppable in the 11th. He also DESTROYED Campas pretty easy and annihilated the respectable champ Eamon Loughran in 1 round. Awesome fighter, had speed, power, reflexes, good combinations, but was lazy and unfocused.

Scott9945
06-18-2011, 10:28 PM
I sure do! But you should show his fight vs Quartey, that was his peak performance. I think he got robbed in that fight really, he won it clearly imo and almost stopped the unstoppable in the 11th. He also DESTROYED Campas pretty easy and annihilated the respectable champ Eamon Loughran in 1 round. Awesome fighter, had speed, power, reflexes, good combinations, but was lazy and unfocused.

Lopez was robbed? Quartey won every round (easily) that he wasn't knocked down in. He was the one who was robbed. Originally Ike was announced the winner and the sleazy WBA changed it the next day. It was like if they had called W Klitschko-Peter I a draw.

Steak
06-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Ive always wanted to see his fight against Campas, since it was a pretty damn good win and I heard it was a destruction. never could find it however.

I think I might make a 'successful fighters who never trained' thread in the future...

TBear
06-19-2011, 02:08 AM
I guess I have most of his televised fights. He was a warrior. Many might not know but he was stripped of his wbo belt for testing positive for pot.
He was actually a ok boxer as he proved in the with Campos. The Page fight was a classic as it forced the powerpunching Page to become a boxer in what was probably Page's finest performance.

There is a possibilty that youtube vid against Page was from my orig recording that I shared around years ago. I got a dvd of the fight out to about 50 people. Still have the original on my external.

Pastrano
06-19-2011, 01:47 PM
Lopez was robbed? Quartey won every round (easily) that he wasn't knocked down in. He was the one who was robbed. Originally Ike was announced the winner and the sleazy WBA changed it the next day. It was like if they had called W Klitschko-Peter I a draw.

You can't score for your life. Better stay out of such debates.:nonono: Lopez won AT LEAST 7 rounds, I gave him 8, fool. I'm SICK of nuthuggers like you, I like Quartey too but I don't claim he won ALL his fights! Like some of you idiots do.

Scott9945
06-20-2011, 12:16 AM
You can't score for your life. Better stay out of such debates.:nonono: Lopez won AT LEAST 7 rounds, I gave him 8, fool. I'm SICK of nuthuggers like you, I like Quartey too but I don't claim he won ALL his fights! Like some of you idiots do.

You're writing fiction Bozo the Clown. Is there anyone else here who has seen this fight and can verify whether or not Lopez lost almost every round?

Pastrano
06-20-2011, 09:19 AM
You're writing fiction Bozo the Clown. Is there anyone else here who has seen this fight and can verify whether or not Lopez lost almost every round?

Ask TheGreatA or Obama. I know Obama didn't score it as wide as you, thats a fact. He did score it for Quartey, erroneously, but not as a shutout.

IMDAZED
06-20-2011, 10:49 AM
Ive always wanted to see his fight against Campas, since it was a pretty damn good win and I heard it was a destruction. never could find it however.

I think I might make a 'successful fighters who never trained' thread in the future...
It was a pretty good scrap but Lopez made ole boy quit and after that I wasn't feeling Campas too tough. Haven't seen that bout in ages. One thing people forget about Lopez was that, aside from the prodigious power and granite chin, he had very quick hands, deceptively fast. He only looked like a couch potato and trained like one. Huge waste of talent.

What is your agenda? You obviously didn't see the fight or you're just being a f*cking jackass ruining the thread. Probably both.

NChristo
06-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Ask TheGreatA or Obama. I know Obama didn't score it as wide as you, thats a fact. He did score it for Quartey, erroneously, but not as a shutout.

You say Lopez was robbed and won at least 7 rounds then to try and prove it you tell Scott to ask Obama who scored it for Quartey ?. :thinking:

Watching it now, up to round 6 and Lopez has only won round 2 because of the down.

NChristo
06-20-2011, 11:44 AM
Quartey - Lopez
1. 10 - 9
2. 8 - 10
3. 10 - 9
4. 10 - 9
5. 10 - 9
6. 10 - 9, Closest round so far, Lopez is much more active then he was previously and actually tries to fight most of his attempts are hitting leather and forearms though while Quartey is countering him, close round for Quartey and best so far.
7. 10 - 9
8. 9 - 10, Lopez stays the busier man through out the round although Quartey was still blocking most punches I feel Lopez did enough to take it.
9. 10 - 9
10. 10 - 9, Lopez fininshed the round strong, the rest of it was Quartey's.
11. 8 - 10, Clearly Lopez's round, nearly had Quartey out of there.
12. 9 - 10, Ike on his bike here, could of took the round but I gave it to Lopez as the agressor

114 - 112 for Ike.

IronDanHamza
06-20-2011, 11:54 AM
Was never much of a fan of Lopez in all honesty.

Quartey beat him, though. Lopez certainly was not robbed.

Pastrano, I still don't understand why everytime someone disagrees with your opinion you call them a nuthugger of the opposite fighter. Why is that?

I mean, I can't even remember Scott even mentioning Ike Quartey before. Atleast not excessively.

Pastrano
06-20-2011, 01:45 PM
Was never much of a fan of Lopez in all honesty.

Quartey beat him, though. Lopez certainly was not robbed.

Pastrano, I still don't understand why everytime someone disagrees with your opinion you call them a nuthugger of the opposite fighter. Why is that?

I mean, I can't even remember Scott even mentioning Ike Quartey before. Atleast not excessively.

If you think that, then its simply because youre a fool.:D This guy didn't even watch the damn fight I bet, much less scored it and he KNOWS Lopez lost almost every round. I got no more energy for such people.

IronDanHamza
06-20-2011, 01:51 PM
If you think that, then its simply because youre a fool.:D This guy didn't even watch the damn fight I bet, much less scored it and he KNOWS Lopez lost almost every round. I got no more energy for such people.

Think what? That you accuse people of being a nuthugger if they disagree with your opinion?

What's to think about? I have experienced it.

You have already called me a Whitaker AND Hagler nuthugger. Whitaker I'm a fan of but Hagler I'm not even really a fan of. I said he is greater than McCallum and you called me a Hagler nuthugger.

Along with everyone else that ever disagrees with you about a fighter. You consistently say 'You all need to stop nuthugging so and so'

You have called Scott a Quartey nuthugger in this very thread.

It's pathetic, to be honest.

Pastrano
06-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Think what? That you accuse people of being a nuthugger if they disagree with your opinion?

What's to think about? I have experienced it.

You have already called me a Whitaker AND Hagler nuthugger. Whitaker I'm a fan of but Hagler I'm not even really a fan of. I said he is greater than McCallum and you called me a Hagler nuthugger.

Along with everyone else that ever disagrees with you about a fighter. You consistently say 'You all need to stop nuthugging so and so'

You have called Scott a Quartey nuthugger in this very thread.

It's pathetic, to be honest.
Scott is a Lopez-hater if nothing. Only a person that knows zero about boxing or hates Lopez can say he deserved to lose almost EVERY round.:nonono: And I think he fits both categories.:D

jabsRstiff
06-20-2011, 03:37 PM
Lopez definitely did not have the desire to match his gifts. He really, really could put his shots together, quickly and with tremendous power.

His lack of dedication is why he spent a lot of his bigger bouts posing more than punching. Had he been better prepared he'd have been able to let those awesome hands go far more than he did, and he'd have been incredibly tough to deal with.

Ultimately, it's kind of a moot point to lament guys like Lopez, because wanting to give it your all is what sets the best apart from the rest, and if he wasn't a fighter in his gut, well.................

EMSLDB
06-20-2011, 06:57 PM
I thought Lopez Lost to Quartey. at least 8 or 9rds he didnt have an answer for quarteys jab. The good things about him was he had power in both hands, a very good chin and ok hand speed. His flaws were that he was very heavy footed Didnt really punch in volume relied to much in his power. If you stood and traded punches with lopez you would have a tough night. If you boxed him you could beat him easily

JAB5239
06-20-2011, 07:33 PM
Scott is a Lopez-hater if nothing. Only a person that knows zero about boxing or hates Lopez can say he deserved to lose almost EVERY round.:nonono: And I think he fits both categories.:D

I've been posting with Scott for 10 plus years now and I would take his knowledge over most others. I don't always agree with him, but he always backs his position up in a logical and factual way.

JAB5239
06-20-2011, 07:35 PM
Lopez definitely did not have the desire to match his gifts. He really, really could put his shots together, quickly and with tremendous power.

His lack of dedication is why he spent a lot of his bigger bouts posing more than punching. Had he been better prepared he'd have been able to let those awesome hands go far more than he did, and he'd have been incredibly tough to deal with.

Ultimately, it's kind of a moot point to lament guys like Lopez, because wanting to give it your all is what sets the best apart from the rest, and if he wasn't a fighter in his gut, well.................

Good post jabs!

Steak
06-20-2011, 07:50 PM
well, with all this talk about decisions, did yall think he deserved the win over James Page?

Scott9945
06-20-2011, 10:10 PM
I've been posting with Scott for 10 plus years now and I would take his knowledge over most others. I don't always agree with him, but he always backs his position up in a logical and factual way.

Thanks Jab. Trust me on this one, there is no possible way you could give Lopez 7 rounds. And I have no real strong feelings about either of these fighters.

Pastrano has revealed himself (long ago actually) as a buffoon and a troll. I'll make no pretensions of treating him as anything else from now on.

Scott9945
06-20-2011, 10:13 PM
well, with all this talk about decisions, did yall think he deserved the win over James Page?

Really good fight. Page fought the fight of his career and deserved the decision. A friend in the business told me to bet on Page (I didn't) and made quite a bit of money for himself.

JAB5239
06-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Thanks Jab. Trust me on this one, there is no possible way you could give Lopez 7 rounds. And I have no real strong feelings about either of these fighters.

Pastrano has revealed himself (long ago actually) as a buffon and a troll. I'll make no pretensions of treating him as anything else from now on.

I saw the fight when it happened and had it for Ike. Haven't watched it since so I haven't commented on this as of yet.

jabsRstiff
06-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Lopez deservedly lost both fights to Quartey and Page. He lost them both, especially the Page fight, because he stood around too much letting the other guy throw. When he did open up, he hurt or floored them.

Yeah, he was a frustrating guy to watch.....'cause you knew what he was capable of.

Pastrano
06-21-2011, 08:39 AM
I saw the fight when it happened and had it for Ike. Haven't watched it since so I haven't commented on this as of yet.

A-ha! So you HAVEN'T watched it for a long time. There is the key! None of you know a damn thing about this fight really. Quartey was totally lukewarm rounds 6 to 11. Lopez took them all easily. I only scored the 9th even, that one MIGHT have been Quartey's, but it also might not have. I suggest all you clowns WATCH the damn fight again and SCORE it, like NChristo did.

JAB5239
06-21-2011, 08:48 AM
A-ha! So you HAVEN'T watched it for a long time. There is the key! None of you know a damn thing about this fight really. Quartey was totally lukewarm rounds 6 to 11. Lopez took them all easily. I only scored the 9th even, that one MIGHT have been Quartey's, but it also might not have. I suggest all you clowns WATCH the damn fight again and SCORE it, like NChristo did.

And I would suggest you stop trolling and insulting other people. By the way, NChristo scored for Quartey. Seems a bit funny you claim Lopez was robbed but haven't had anything to say to the guy who HAS watched it recently and scored it so close.

Pastrano
06-21-2011, 09:57 AM
And I would suggest you stop trolling and insulting other people. By the way, NChristo scored for Quartey. Seems a bit funny you claim Lopez was robbed but haven't had anything to say to the guy who HAS watched it recently and scored it so close.

He did but only by 2 points. TWO POINTS! Even I can agree with that, if I have to.:lol1: But you fanboys of Quartey say Ike won like 9-10 rounds at least. Thats pure blind nuthuggery.:nonono:

IronDanHamza
06-21-2011, 10:22 AM
He did but only by 2 points. TWO POINTS! Even I can agree with that, if I have to.:lol1: But you fanboys of Quartey say Ike won like 9-10 rounds at least. Thats pure blind nuthuggery.:nonono:

This is what I'm talking about.

JAB5239
06-21-2011, 01:44 PM

He had him winning eight rounds. EIGHT ROUNDS!! That is a blow out!! We still haven't seen your score card. Would you please post it?

wichito_one
06-21-2011, 01:57 PM
I bought all his televised fights back when ppl used to sell boxer careers in ebay. He beat Campas down really bad and gave Quartey a hell of a fight. I remember they tried to match him with Oscar but it never happened. He could of been a much better fighter but he was lazy and never completely focused and I think I remember him smoking weed too lol. He made a comeback a while back but dropped out again, he had skills just did not have the mentality to go to the next level.

Ziggy Stardust
06-21-2011, 03:03 PM
What is your agenda? You obviously didn't see the fight or you're just being a f*cking jackass ruining the thread. Probably both.

His agenda is simple: He has utter disdain for the vast majority of black fighters. Score a fight for the black fighter and you're instantly a nut-hugger in his eyes.

Poet

Pastrano
06-21-2011, 04:35 PM
He had him winning eight rounds. EIGHT ROUNDS!! That is a blow out!! We still haven't seen your score card. Would you please post it?

I scored it WAY before, so don't give me that. Lemme copy my scorecard from SB.

Round 1: 10-9 Quartey
Round 2: 9-10 Lopez
Round 3: 10-9 Quartey
Round 4: 9-10 Lopez
Round 5: 10-9 Quartey
Round 6: 9-10 Lopez
Round 7: 9-10 Lopez
Round 8: 9-10 Lopez
Round 9: 10-10
Round 10: 9-10 Lopez
Round 11: 8-10 Lopez
Round 12: 9-10 Lopez

117-111 Lopez

How anyone can give Quartey more than 5 rounds is beyond me.:nonono:

JAB5239
06-21-2011, 05:39 PM

117-111 Lopez

How anyone could give Lopez 8 rounds is beyond me. Quartey dictated almost the entire fight with his jab, continually snapping Lopez head back while blocking most of his punches.

Round 2: 10-8 Lopez
Round 4: 10-10 Even
Round 6: 10-9 Quartey
Round 7: 10-9 Quartey
Round 8: 10-9 Quartey
Round 9: 10-9 Quartey
Round 10: 10-10 Even
Round 11: 10-8 Lopez
Round 12: 10-9 Lopez

Final score: 115-113 Quartey

Pastrano
06-21-2011, 05:43 PM
How anyone could give Lopez 8 rounds is beyond me. Quartey dictated almost the entire fight with his jab, continually snapping Lopez head back while blocking most of his punches.

Round 2: 10-8 Lopez
Round 4: 10-10 Even
Round 6: 10-9 Quartey
Round 7: 10-9 Quartey
Round 8: 10-9 Quartey
Round 9: 10-9 Quartey
Round 10: 10-10 Even
Round 11: 10-8 Lopez
Round 12: 10-9 Lopez

Final score: 115-113 Quartey

How anyone can...know what, we could to this all day and night.:rolleyes: Lopez won more than 3 rounds, there is no debate. You go on believing what you want, I'll believe what I think is true. Fair?

JAB5239
06-21-2011, 06:00 PM
How anyone can...know what, we could to this all day and night.:rolleyes: Lopez won more than 3 rounds, there is no debate. You go on believing what you want, I'll believe what I think is true. Fair?

Obviously there is a debate. NChristo only gave him 4 rounds. Some of the rounds are close and his scorecard and mine are much closer than yours to either of us. And I can because I was in or around boxing for nearly 20 years. Thats probably close to how long you've been alive if I had to guess. What exactly makes you think Lopez won 8 rounds, please break it down so we can understand how you're scoring and where you're coming from.

Scott9945
06-21-2011, 09:58 PM

117-111 Lopez

:rofl: You should try and get in touch with reality sometime. That scorecard is pathetic, even for you. :pat:

Pastrano
06-22-2011, 08:17 AM
Obviously there is a debate. NChristo only gave him 4 rounds. Some of the rounds are close and his scorecard and mine are much closer than yours to either of us. And I can because I was in or around boxing for nearly 20 years. Thats probably close to how long you've been alive if I had to guess. What exactly makes you think Lopez won 8 rounds, please break it down so we can understand how you're scoring and where you're coming from.

I'm 33. My advice to you is, no more guessing when it comes to this, youre bad at it.:rolleyes: I've started watching boxing since '88, Tyson-Spinks fight.

JAB5239
06-22-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm 33. My advice to you is, no more guessing when it comes to this, youre bad at it.:rolleyes: I've started watching boxing since '88, Tyson-Spinks fight.

From the way you act and your inability to score a fight I'd say it was a very reasonable guess. You certainly don't act your age and your biased agenda's are very clear for the vast majority of posters who frequent this forum. Now lets just leave it at that unless you would like to explain your score card, ok?