View Full Version : 32 years of age = what's the chances?

dutchschaffer
06-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Hey folks,

There's a new ABA Boxing club that's just been set up in my home town and it's got me thinking about joining with the joint aim of keeping me fit and to also compete at some level.
Here's the plan. I'm 32 years of age, keep myself fairly fit (can bang out 80 press ups, 12 overhand chin ups no problem along with a 7 miler. 187pounds in weight). But haven't started boxing yet and I'm thinking is it gonna be worth it as I'm worried that if I actually do manage to get in a ring to compete I'll be fighting either against younger, fitter, stronger guys or older, more experienced guys.
Either way, I get battered! haha!
I used to do Tae Kwon-Do in my mid twenties and competed at several opens (Including the London Open twice) so am used to a similar kind of sport/environment. Just wanted some kind of feedback from any of you guys who are already in the ring.
Any helps much appreciated
Cheers

T.Horton
06-18-2011, 09:34 AM
i honestly believe at your age you can compete as an amateur without too much trouble. You sound fit but you will find it`s a totally different type of fitness and dedication so stick with it regularly and most importantly, listen to your body.

bernardotelo
06-18-2011, 10:37 AM
under 34 = you can still compete so go for it

New England
06-18-2011, 10:50 AM
if you're looking to compete as an AM and make some noise you have limited time.

for instance, you cant box in the olympics past the age of 34
same with the national tournaments in the states i believe

you can enter the "master class" as well, which is for older amateurs, but you can qualify for the olympics, etc

but that's all amateur

if you can get fights you can fight professionally for quite some time

but lets take it one step at a time
you say you've never boxed?
the first step would be to get into a gym and have somebody show you the very basics
then you've got to get in the ring and see if you like it

i know that the martial arts are great means of becoming fit, and a very athletic persuit at the level you've clearly achieved
but you're probably going to find they are quite different from boxing (especially if you're talking about being a professional)

you can die in the ring
sustain life changing damage from a single punch
compromise the quality of your vision or even go blind

it's a rough rough game with a very slow learning curve.

i wouldn't be saying any of this if you didn't write "what's the chances?" in your title of the thread haha
if you're looking to be a world champion you're talking about a very different set of choices than some guy walking in to a family type gym looking to sweat a bit

i don't want to scare you off
you'll get from boxing what you want to put in
hell, you don't even have to fight anybody if you don't want to. you can go to hit the bags and skip some rope
it's not like that if you don't want it to be.

dutchschaffer
06-18-2011, 12:53 PM
Cheers for the comments guys. Yeah, I'm well aware of the difference in fitness. I do need to work on my cardio, maybe circuit training as an added extra?
And I know my body pretty well. I've got a good mind but I'm under no illusions. My competing I see only really reaching regional level, County wide, absolute maximum (And this is only if I'm any good) would be National Amateur. Also about the impacts to the head. That's my only concern. I still love the idea. Me an my girl have just had twin girls and I'd love nothing more than to tell them I've competed and won in a boxing match.
Macho bull**** but hey, I can imagine you'd get a pretty good sense of achievement from it. Keep the tips comin fellas! Cheers!

-Jay-
06-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Go for it, in the AMs the odds of something going seriously wrong are fairly slim. You sound like you're in very good shape, there shouldn't be anything stopping you.

raf727
06-18-2011, 10:38 PM
go for it man, the hopes and dreams are what keep us moving, once you lose that what do you got left?

F l i c k e r
06-19-2011, 12:10 AM
Hey folks,

There's a new ABA Boxing club that's just been set up in my home town and it's got me thinking about joining with the joint aim of keeping me fit and to also compete at some level.
Here's the plan. I'm 32 years of age, keep myself fairly fit (can bang out 80 press ups, 12 overhand chin ups no problem along with a 7 miler. 187pounds in weight). But haven't started boxing yet and I'm thinking is it gonna be worth it as I'm worried that if I actually do manage to get in a ring to compete I'll be fighting either against younger, fitter, stronger guys or older, more experienced guys.
I used to do Tae Kwon-Do in my mid twenties and competed at several opens (Including the London Open twice) so am used to a similar kind of sport/environment. Just wanted some kind of feedback from any of you guys who are already in the ring.
Cheers

Depends on what you wanna do with it. Do you want to just dabble around, compete a little but not get serious? Do you wanna become a real champion?

If the former. Go for it. It's possible, because your just dabbling in it.

The ladder. It will be very hard but it is possible. You would have to take on a full load. Taking on matches as many as possible. It's possible to get 10 in one year but again, that is a full load. After 10 fights, you'll see a difference in competition. You'll be on friday night fights, undercards of PPVs, etc etc. Reach 15-0 and you'll be in the run for IBF, lesser title fights. From there, sky is the limit.

Again it all depends on how dedicated or serious you are going to be with it. It's a long tough road but it pays off once you see 15-0. You might even get a WBC title shot, the ones where your meant to pad someone's stats. If you conquer that, well shyt, you made it.

boxer2k5
06-19-2011, 12:17 AM
train hard and possiblities are endless. young guys get knocked out just like old ones.

Rockin'
06-19-2011, 12:49 AM
it comes from with in, not from people on the forum. what are your chances, you tell us. It's all up to you..............Rockin':boxing:

dutchschaffer
06-19-2011, 05:42 AM
Cheers guys. Yeah as the saying goes, 99.9% need not apply! I'll keep my chin down and my hands up and see where it gets me, one life, live it! Thanks again, I'll keep you posted on my progress!

boxer2k5
06-20-2011, 05:00 PM
where do you stay

dutchschaffer
06-21-2011, 10:19 AM
where do you stay
I'm in Hampshire, England

TheAuthority
06-21-2011, 04:27 PM
Hey folks,

Cheers

Hey up pal,

I coach 3 lads who are the "wrong side" of 30 (one is 37). It's nothing out of the ordinary - there are plenty of lads up and down the country in the exact same position as you.

In general, I find the older lads easier to coach. The tend to be very committed, they work hard, they listen and always ask questions in an attempt to further their knowledge.

The Tae Kwon-Do experience should be helpful - if I'm not mistaken, the footwork is fairly similar and at least you have some experience of combat.

Oh ... don't worry about your opposition. If your coach knows what he is doing, then you will be matched with an opponent of a similar age, similar weight and with either no bouts, or 1 or 2.

Get yourself as fit as possible. Listen to your coach and practice as often as you can. Don't just go through the motions - really focus on mastering the basics.

What your gym called ? (pm if you prefer).

Good luck.

paulsmith
06-21-2011, 04:51 PM
The aba have just changed the rule. The previous rule stated that you couldnt box if you were 34 or over. The rule has just changed to 40. So if you trained til you are 34 you would only compete against 34 to 40.

I hope this helps

dutchschaffer
06-22-2011, 09:47 AM
The aba have just changed the rule. The previous rule stated that you couldnt box if you were 34 or over. The rule has just changed to 40. So if you trained til you are 34 you would only compete against 34 to 40.

I hope this helps

Cheers Paul, i got 1 and a half years to train like a muther f*cker then! :killyou:

barfly12
06-22-2011, 02:43 PM
You sound like you have realistic exectations. Just remember, most of us got the shi@@ kicked out of us the first time we sparred. It is normal. Don't let it sway you. You will improve in sparring remarkably quick. Good luck.

Fearless
06-23-2011, 06:21 AM
Would you rather die younger knowing that you done something you always wanted to do or lay on your death bed at an old age regretting the fact that years ago you didn't do that thing you wanted to do?

dutchschaffer
06-23-2011, 07:38 AM
Yeah very true 'Fearless'. I know that, I try an do something unique with my life each year. And I'm leaning more towards this than anything else about now. It's pretty much a done deal. Just gotta get clearance from my missus! haha! That'll be a fight in itself!!

RurouniYume
06-23-2011, 06:28 PM
You would have to take on a full load.

so what should he do for boxing?

phallus
06-25-2011, 06:22 PM
i'm a coach in the amateurs, we had a guy at the bronze gloves last year who was 44 years old and he almost won. at 32 you've got some time to learn yet, if i were you i'd get a lot of one on one time with a good technical coach. really focus on learning the techniques, especially footwork, and defense

mushahadeen
06-26-2011, 02:06 AM
b4 u know it u will b 34 n 2 old. GO 4 IT while u still can.

Alx.
06-26-2011, 07:21 AM
from what you said you seem to be in great shape! go for it and good luck :)

redizdead
06-26-2011, 08:09 AM
hey man, I'm 30 and I just started boxing 2 months ago... I'm in Paris, and exactly like you, I wanna go for it and try to get fights! I played hockey for 10 years, then stopped sports for the last 5 years. boxing is taking a toll on my body and I'm still overweight, but I'm trying to get in shape, eat well, stop smoking and drinking.
I have to do massages quite often , sometimes my legs hurt like hell, especially the back one, where my weight is when I box.
I started going every day to the gym, but after 2 weeks I realized it was too much. now I'm there 3 times a week, 2 hours each time.

I'm in love with boxing now, enjoying every training! sometimes I get beat up like last friday, I did 2 rounds of sparring and couldnt hit my opponent even once... But next time I'll know what to do against him.

you're lucky to be in England, from what I know boxing is huge there and it's easier to get fights than in France. I was thinking, next season I'll train as much as I can and try to get a fight. And if I can't I was thinking of going to the UK, where I know getting a fight is easier.

I'd like to et a pro fight, because in amateur rules will make it hard for me to win: it's mainly based on points, few KO's. Efficiency is not the most important, points are, so some guys just get in and out , jabbing to get those points, and I have no choices against them.

I still have 20 pounds to lose, I'm at 202 Lbs now. I already lost like 8 pounds. I eat and drink to much... Alcohol makes it harder for muscles to recover too.

Anyway, I wish you the best! let's keep each other updated on how we perform :)

Nate S.
06-26-2011, 03:41 PM
hey man, I'm 30 and I just started boxing 2 months ago... I'm in Paris, and exactly like you, I wanna go for it and try to get fights! I played hockey for 10 years, then stopped sports for the last 5 years. boxing is taking a toll on my body and I'm still overweight, but I'm trying to get in shape, eat well, stop smoking and drinking.
I have to do massages quite often , sometimes my legs hurt like hell, especially the back one, where my weight is when I box.
I started going every day to the gym, but after 2 weeks I realized it was too much. now I'm there 3 times a week, 2 hours each time.

I'm in love with boxing now, enjoying every training! sometimes I get beat up like last friday, I did 2 rounds of sparring and couldnt hit my opponent even once... But next time I'll know what to do against him.

you're lucky to be in England, from what I know boxing is huge there and it's easier to get fights than in France. I was thinking, next season I'll train as much as I can and try to get a fight. And if I can't I was thinking of going to the UK, where I know getting a fight is easier.

I'd like to et a pro fight, because in amateur rules will make it hard for me to win: it's mainly based on points, few KO's. Efficiency is not the most important, points are, so some guys just get in and out , jabbing to get those points, and I have no choices against them.

I still have 20 pounds to lose, I'm at 202 Lbs now. I already lost like 8 pounds. I eat and drink to much... Alcohol makes it harder for muscles to recover too.

Anyway, I wish you the best! let's keep each other updated on how we perform :)

Pro boxers will jab and move in an out 20x better than any of the amateurs who schooled you. If you can't win an amateur fight because you are slow your not going to start knocking out pro's that takes a lot of speed, skill, experience and dedication to the sport.

dutchschaffer
06-26-2011, 06:34 PM
Guys, seriously, thanks for all your help and words of advice. Good news is I spoke to my long term girlfriend about it and she said that she;'s happy for me to do it and understands why I want to go for it so.... I'm there! First session is going to be next Sunday Morning (working till then and what else am I gonna do on Sunday mornings?!). Cant Fookin wait!
Keep all the words of wisdom coming though fellas, any and all is much appreciated.
I'm hoping my knowledge of movement and sparring from Tae Kwon-Do will help but I'm sure an upper cut's gonna feel a whole lot different to a kick to the head!
Cheers again guys best of luck to you and yours, one life, live it

redizdead
06-27-2011, 09:52 AM
Pro boxers will jab and move in an out 20x better than any of the amateurs who schooled you. If you can't win an amateur fight because you are slow your not going to start knocking out pro's that takes a lot of speed, skill, experience and dedication to the sport.

what i meant is that many amateur boxers don't care at all about power... When i say I wanna try pro, I meant with other rules, meaning the power behind punches is taken into account for the final score. and honestly I don't think I will ever go pro, it's just a dream...
I sure don't have the level to fight now, amateur or pro!
I'm heavy for my height, even if i lose my weight I'll probably box at around 185 Lbs, and I'm 180 cm so 5'11. that means not much lentgh.

mushahadeen
06-27-2011, 02:16 PM

maybe he's like rocky n he's slow but has n amazing iron chin + good power. n which case he'd suck as an amateur but b good @ pro n bar fights.

Nate S.
06-28-2011, 03:51 AM
maybe he's like rocky n he's slow but has n amazing iron chin + good power. n which case he'd suck as an amateur but b good @ pro n bar fights.

Yeah I'm sure he's exactly like Rocky lol It's true that being slow and heavy handed would work better under pro rules but I have seen amateurs who were slow and powerful win am fights, through learning technique, defense and working on their speed. But I misinterpreted Redizded good luck to you more people should box it's awesome!:boxing:

redizdead
06-28-2011, 04:04 AM
Yeah I'm sure he's exactly like Rocky
I play the eye of the tiger on my stereo while running up my stairs every morning. And then I eat 6 raw eggs. And puke.