View Full Version : Teddy ATlas ''Mike Tyson Dosen't Deserve To Be In The IBHOF''

Perfect Plex
06-16-2011, 10:03 PM
He says every time someone wasn't intimidated by Mike and actually tested him he came up short. He said that isn't the sign of a great fighter.

Source: Boxing News Magaizne UK!

Great John L
06-17-2011, 12:57 AM
Teddy Atlas is an idiot. The only reason he says that is because he don't like Tyson personally, it has nothing to do with boxing. His arguement is that Mike sucked when he fought at the tail end of his career and at the middle of his career when his training and management was already in shambles. We can make the same arguement for Louis against Marciano, Ali against Spinks, Frazier vs Cummings. It can be applied to virtually everyone. Yet nobody would deny that Frazier, Ali, Louis, etc, were all great fighters

Barn
06-17-2011, 02:57 AM
Welcome Back John.

If Stallone can get it, Tyson can get it. Simply on the basis of casual fans.

"Uhhh I know..um...Ali and errr Tyson... oh and Rocky"

Jack Napier
06-17-2011, 02:59 AM
Atlas hates Tyson to this day for macking on his niece
he always has something salty to say about Tyson
screw him, Tyson earned his spot

House of Stone
06-17-2011, 04:24 AM
Tyson earned his spot, ask pretty much anybody that doesn't spend their life on boxing forums to name 3 or 4 fighters and you can bet Tyson will be one of them. That sounds hall of FAME worthy to me. Atlas is just a hater

Check_hooks
06-17-2011, 08:14 AM
Like anyone even gives a sh*t what that f*cking moron thinks.

IronDanHamza
06-17-2011, 08:20 AM
Mike Tyson is a HOF'er.

No question.

Rip Chudd
06-17-2011, 08:24 AM
Somebody has been sippin on that Haterade.

Mr.Easy
06-17-2011, 08:26 AM
Teddy Atlas is the biggest HATER and a bum. No one would have even heard of him if it wasn't for Tyson. What other great has he worked with and what did he do in his boxing career nothing.

House of Stone
06-17-2011, 09:34 AM
Atlas's comments say more about Atlas then they do about Tyson ... what an idiot

Barn
06-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Somebody has been sippin on that Haterade.
:rofl:.............

fitefanSHO
06-17-2011, 11:09 AM
Teddy Atlas is the biggest HATER and a bum. No one would have even heard of him if it wasn't for Tyson. What other great has he worked with and what did he do in his boxing career nothing.

You mean aside from literally willing Michael Moorer to the Heavyweight Championship of the World?

Forza
06-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Atlas knows more about tyson than 99.9999999999% of the population. He shaped him, built him, all from the tender age of 12 to around 16-17 when tyson sexually assaulted his 12 year old neice (grabbed her ass).

You tards think cus was in the gym training tyson? No, he would stop by 2 times a week and offer advice from the corner. Teddy was in the ring with tyson every day 7 days a week for years molding tyson into a fighter.

And teddy is also correct about the fact that anyone who wasn't intimidated by his antics beat the **** out of tyson.

Scott9945
06-17-2011, 05:16 PM
I've really grown to hate Teddy Atlas. He has become the most biased and agenda driven commentator in boxing. Atlas even managed to make Bernard Hopkins a sympathetic figure. He should have been fired after his irresponsible comments about Pacquiao, not to mention his weekly barrage of sh*tty fight predictions.

Sugarj
06-17-2011, 08:06 PM
Its a myth that to beat Tyson all you had to do was stand up to the guy and not be intimidated. Tyson prevailed plenty of times against fighters who genuinely did not appear scared and actually fought pretty well against him. Here are a few:

Jose Ribalta: Granted, he wasn't in Tyson's league but he fought well, took some serious punishment and at one point after being dropped was asked by the ref if he wanted to continue. His reply was 'yea, hell yea'. His gutsy performance nearly pushed him into a rematch situation a few years after. I seem to recall a post fight interview (possibly after the Carl Williams fight) where he was touted as a future opponent.

James Quick Tillis: Lasted the distance, won several rounds and fought well. Even fought exhibitions with Tyson after this fight!

Tony Tucker: World class amateur, undefeated. Lasted the distance, also won several rounds (some even argued that the overall scoring should have been much closer) and even took to showboating in the later rounds.

Tyrell Biggs: World class amateur again undefeated. Came in confident, trying to box like Ali. Was given a savage, prolonged beating.

Larry Holmes: Granted, he was old, ring rusty and was rushed into the contest but he certainly didn't seem intimidated and fought quite well before being knocked out.

Tony Tubbs: He was clearly in no shape to be fighting Tyson but didn't appear fazed at all. I seem to remember the commentator giving him the first round, in which he landed some eye catching combinations.

Frank Bruno: First time round Frank was really fired up, and we all know that he rocked Tyson in that first round and did what he could before being knocked out.

Carl Williams: He was another that seemed super confident before the match and certainly lets his fists go before being knocked out.

Razor Ruddock: In both meetings he appeared unfazed, stood up to Tyson and landed savage punches. Tyson described his punches as 'mule kicks'. He also says to this day that he is very proud of these performances as both fights were tough and he prevailed in wars of attrition.

These men were beaten by sheer skill and power despite standing up to Tyson.

In his loses to Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield (first time), he was genuinely beaten by better guys on the night and showed heart and the ability to withstand punishment round after round both times. Mike took good beatings both nights and was genuinely gracious in defeat.

We all know that it fell apart for him after then. But in anything like his prime he was only going to be beaten by men who not only were able to stand up to him but also had to be technically superior and better conditioned on the nights that he fought them. Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield certainly were that on those respective nights.

Surely that is what sport is about, the better man prevailing on the night? THAT Buster Douglas and THAT Evander Holyfield would I'm sure have beaten plenty of other hall of fame heavyweights on their night.

salem-no1
06-17-2011, 09:02 PM
From what read teddy atlas hates on everyone....what an ass hole! Just be happy for someone or dont say **** Teddy

BigStereotype
06-17-2011, 09:29 PM
Atlas obviously doesn't like Tyson. Teddy has gone at him with a gun, I think on multiple occasions. Now he's supposed to vouch for him or something? I don't know, he's obviously letting his bias get him here but I don't blame him. Dude tried to rape his niece.

Scott9945
06-17-2011, 09:32 PM
Atlas obviously doesn't like Tyson. Teddy has gone at him with a gun, I think on multiple occasions. Now he's supposed to vouch for him or something? I don't know, he's obviously letting his bias get him here but I don't blame him. Dude tried to rape his niece.

If it was just Tyson I'd understand. But Atlas consistently looks down his nose at foreign fighters. To prove that, just look what he did to Povetkin's career. :)

Forza
06-17-2011, 10:11 PM
You guys are just tyson nuthuggers. Those bums you mentioned were all scared ****less except for an ancient larry holmes.

Tyson was mentally weak and unstable.

$coinblatt$
06-17-2011, 10:17 PM
You guys are just tyson nuthuggers. Those bums you mentioned were all scared ****less except for an ancient larry holmes.

Tyson was mentally weak and unstable.

wtf is wrong with that guy on your avatar? :lol1: who is that?

Scott9945
06-18-2011, 12:57 AM
wtf is wrong with that guy on your avatar? :lol1: who is that?

I just assumed it was him. :dunno:

chiguy91
06-18-2011, 02:42 AM
well it's obvious atlas doesn't like tyson, so i wouldn't be surprised if he said that. it's just an opinion at the end of the day from someone who personally dislikes him. tyson is in for good now.

Barn
06-18-2011, 07:00 AM
Its a myth that to beat Tyson all you had to do was stand up to the guy and not be intimidated. Tyson prevailed plenty of times against fighters who genuinely did not appear scared and actually fought pretty well against him. Here are a few:

Jose Ribalta: Granted, he wasn't in Tyson's league but he fought well, took some serious punishment and at one point after being dropped was asked by the ref if he wanted to continue. His reply was 'yea, hell yea'. His gutsy performance nearly pushed him into a rematch situation a few years after. I seem to recall a post fight interview (possibly after the Carl Williams fight) where he was touted as a future opponent.

James Quick Tillis: Lasted the distance, won several rounds and fought well. Even fought exhibitions with Tyson after this fight!

Tony Tucker: World class amateur, undefeated. Lasted the distance, also won several rounds (some even argued that the overall scoring should have been much closer) and even took to showboating in the later rounds.

Tyrell Biggs: World class amateur again undefeated. Came in confident, trying to box like Ali. Was given a savage, prolonged beating.

Larry Holmes: Granted, he was old, ring rusty and was rushed into the contest but he certainly didn't seem intimidated and fought quite well before being knocked out.

Tony Tubbs: He was clearly in no shape to be fighting Tyson but didn't appear fazed at all. I seem to remember the commentator giving him the first round, in which he landed some eye catching combinations.

Frank Bruno: First time round Frank was really fired up, and we all know that he rocked Tyson in that first round and did what he could before being knocked out.

Carl Williams: He was another that seemed super confident before the match and certainly lets his fists go before being knocked out.

Razor Ruddock: In both meetings he appeared unfazed, stood up to Tyson and landed savage punches. Tyson described his punches as 'mule kicks'. He also says to this day that he is very proud of these performances as both fights were tough and he prevailed in wars of attrition.

In his loses to Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield (first time), he was genuinely beaten by better guys on the night and showed heart and the ability to withstand punishment round after round both times. Mike took good beatings both nights and was genuinely gracious in defeat.

We all know that it fell apart for him after then. But in anything like his prime he was only going to be beaten by men who not only were able to stand up to him but also had to be technically superior and better conditioned on the nights that he fought them. Buster Douglas and Evander Holyfield certainly were that on those respective nights.

Surely that is what sport is about, the better man prevailing on the night? THAT Buster Douglas and THAT Evander Holyfield would I'm sure have beaten plenty of other hall of fame heavyweights on their night.

In retirement Larry Holmes commentated that Mike was the only fighter who ever scared him.

Mugwump
06-18-2011, 10:42 AM

Atlas is wrong to say you only needed to stand up to Tyson to beat him. That's not true because Tyson had a very good chin and excellent head movement, which made him very difficult to hit.

But if you could stand up to him and had the tools to a) catch Tyson and b) hurt him you stood a healthy chance of exposing his fatal character flaw - his admitted terror of being bullied.

Many of the above people stood up to Tyson - at least for two or three rounds (if that) - but none really could find a way to catch and hurt Tyson sufficiently.

Ribalta just wasn't good enough. Bruno did catch Tyson with one good punch - and that was it. The guy was terrified of him. Holmes was way past his best. Biggs just didn't take it seriously. Tucker is probably the best candidate above - but again, he didn't put sufficient pressure on Tyson. Most probably because he was afraid of being hit.

Douglas wasn't afraid and possessed the tools to catch and hurt Tyson. And Holyfield has never been afraid of anyone in his life. Tyson could fight him for eternity and never win. Holyfield knew Tyson's weakness and knew Tyson couldn't intimidate him.

The Surgeon
06-18-2011, 11:27 AM
Teddy who? Oh that wanna be tough guy who hates Tyson, was/is a ***** trainer, a Nothing fighter, a poor commentator who couldnt pick a winner if he had a crystal ball and all round knob jockey..... Yeah i'll pass on his opinion thanks.

Atlas is terrible in general and overly harsh when it comes to Tyson

Mugwump
06-18-2011, 05:04 PM
To be fair to Atlas, I don't think I'd be all too willing to forgive and forget had the then scariest man in the world taken a feel of my daughter. That kind of thing tends to leave an impression on a person.

Mugwump
06-18-2011, 05:25 PM
It wasn't his daughter. Tyson was only age 15 at the time.

Ah, right. I didn't know that. Thanks.

The Surgeon
06-19-2011, 02:56 PM
Ah, right. I didn't know that. Thanks.

Tyson disputes Teddy even pulled a gun. At least i think thats what i heard him say just recently when talking about Atlas. Mike clearly dosnt care for Teddy

Forza
06-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Teddy put a gun to tysons head and pulled the trigger but the gun was unloaded or it didn't fire.

None of you know tyson the way teddy does so whatever you say is invalid

Sugarj
06-19-2011, 07:05 PM
In retirement Larry Holmes commentated that Mike was the only fighter who ever scared him.

I think he probably got very scared in the 4th round. Ha ha

But he didn't seem particularly nervous in prefight press conferences and in the ring beforehand......and he didn't fight like a terrified fighter.

ny123
06-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Atlas needs to go somewhere and sit down. ESPN needs to replace this dude asap

gcgc
06-19-2011, 07:13 PM
He says every time someone wasn't intimidated by Mike and actually tested him he came up short. He said that isn't the sign of a great fighter.

Source: Boxing News Magaizne UK!

aww this ***** trippin...

Sugarj
06-19-2011, 07:14 PM
Atlas is wrong to say you only needed to stand up to Tyson to beat him. That's not true because Tyson had a very good chin and excellent head movement, which made him very difficult to hit.

But if you could stand up to him and had the tools to a) catch Tyson and b) hurt him you stood a healthy chance of exposing his fatal character flaw - his admitted terror of being bullied.

Many of the above people stood up to Tyson - at least for two or three rounds (if that) - but none really could find a way to catch and hurt Tyson sufficiently.

Ribalta just wasn't good enough. Bruno did catch Tyson with one good punch - and that was it. The guy was terrified of him. Holmes was way past his best. Biggs just didn't take it seriously. Tucker is probably the best candidate above - but again, he didn't put sufficient pressure on Tyson. Most probably because he was afraid of being hit.

Douglas wasn't afraid and possessed the tools to catch and hurt Tyson. And Holyfield has never been afraid of anyone in his life. Tyson could fight him for eternity and never win. Holyfield knew Tyson's weakness and knew Tyson couldn't intimidate him.

Yea, I tend to agree with most of what you say here.

Bottom line, to beat anything like prime Tyson, you not only have to:

1) be able to stand up to him
2) you have to be able to take his punches

And

3) you actually need to be superior physically/in better condition and/or technically

Hardly reason for Atlas to dispute his inclusion into the IBHOF. Plenty of other IBHOF candidates would have struggled on one or more of these points in a head to head matchup.