View Full Version : Tyson interview

JAB5239
06-11-2011, 07:23 AM
This is the Tyson everyone should like. Great interview before he gets inducted into the IBHOF on Sunday.

http://espn.go.com/sports/boxing/blo...cts-hof-career

-JUGGERNAUT-
06-11-2011, 07:26 AM
This is the Tyson everyone should like. Great interview before he gets inducted into the IBHOF on Sunday.

http://espn.go.com/sports/boxing/blo...cts-hof-career
The link is corrupt. Post it again.

-JUGGERNAUT-
06-11-2011, 07:27 AM
It's on the main boxing page on ESPN, not to worry.

JAB5239
06-11-2011, 07:29 AM
http://espn.go.com/sports/boxing/blog/_/name/rafael_dan/id/6648044/mike-tyson-reflects-hof-career

The Surgeon
06-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Not getting anything from that link JAB, is it the interview where he tells how he at 14 told Ali he was gonna get Holmes back for him, i read a long interview yesterday where that was mentioned and it was a great read

The Surgeon
06-11-2011, 07:34 AM
http://espn.go.com/sports/boxing/blog/_/name/rafael_dan/id/6648044/mike-tyson-reflects-hof-career

Yup thats the one, great stuff. Good to see Mike enjoying life

JAB5239
06-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Not getting anything from that link JAB, is it the interview where he tells how he at 14 told Ali he was gonna get Holmes back for him, i read a long interview yesterday where that was mentioned and it was a great read

Try the link on post #4. It may be the same thing you've already read, but I enjoyed it. I've been both critical of Tyson and a fan and I enjoyed reading this.

-JUGGERNAUT-
06-11-2011, 07:35 AM
Yes, same story but extended.

"I'm going in with guys like Stanley Ketchel and Jack Johnson, guys who lived colorful lives," Tyson said. "I wanted to be like them even though they were tragic at the end. But what lives they had. They had interesting lives. I wanted to live like them, like Mickey Walker, Harry Greb. Those guys had no boundaries. That's who I wanted to be. I wanted to be heavyweight champion. I wanted to conquer everyone. I looked at boxing different than most people. It was about destruction and pain and 'nobody can ever stop me.'

"I was offended by how bad he beat up Ali," Tyson said. "When we drove home to Catskill [about an hour from Albany], nobody in the car said a word, we were all so upset. The next morning, Cus was on the phone with Muhammad Ali after taking this shellacking from Holmes. He said to Ali, 'I have this young black kid who is going to be heavyweight champion someday and I want you to talk to him.'"

Tyson got on the phone and said he told Ali, "'When I grow up, I'll fight Holmes and I'll get him back for you.' I was 14 at the time."

When Tyson did meet Holmes seven years later, Ali was a guest at the fight. Tyson said Ali whispered to him beforehand, "Remember what you said -- get him for me."

Barn
06-11-2011, 07:56 AM
In his retirement, I've developed a deep respect for Mike. I just wish people could leave him alone sometimes.

Uturn
06-11-2011, 08:16 AM
I like Mike, I truly believe Mike has a good heart deep down. Glad to see he is enjoying life right now.

IronDanHamza
06-11-2011, 12:25 PM
Mike Tyson personally told me that he thinks Larry Holmes is the greatest HW of all time.

Later that night he told someone else that he thinks Muhammad Ali is the greatest HW of all time.

You can tell Mike has a dear respect for Muhammad Ali but I don't believe he actually thinks he is the greatest.

Can you imagine how much D'Amato would tell him that he couldn't beat Joe Louis.

The Surgeon
06-11-2011, 12:44 PM
Mike Tyson personally told me that he thinks Larry Holmes is the greatest HW of all time.

Later that night he told someone else that he thinks Muhammad Ali is the greatest HW of all time.

You can tell Mike has a dear respect for Muhammad Ali but I don't believe he actually thinks he is the greatest.

Can you imagine how much D'Amato would tell him that he couldn't beat Joe Louis.

Lol sounds like Mike! I heard him say Louis was the greatest ever too lol

Sugarj
06-12-2011, 11:04 AM
Thanks for the link. Mike genuinely seems moved to be inducted. I'm glad for him.

The Surgeon
06-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Mike genuinely seems moved to be inducted.

I remember years back, Tyson talking about how his life all went to ***** and his career, and the one thing that stuck with me was him saying "They probably wont even put me in the Hall of Fame." and he seemed totally gutted about it....

IronDanHamza
06-12-2011, 02:20 PM
I remember years back, Tyson talking about how his life all went to ***** and his career, and the one thing that stuck with me was him saying "They probably wont even put me in the Hall of Fame." and he seemed totally gutted about it....

I'm elated he is in the hall of fame.

I asked him when I met him; "Where do you rank yourself in history compared to the likes of Louis, Ali and Liston etc?"

He replied, "The fact you have put me in the same sentance as those guys is just an honour and makes me very happy"

He is actually very critical of his career and he told me his career defining fight was Buster Douglas and spoke very very highly of Holyfield.

The Surgeon
06-12-2011, 02:40 PM
I'm elated he is in the hall of fame. I asked him when I met him; "Where do you rank yourself in history compared to the likes of Louis, Ali and Liston etc?" He replied, "The fact you have put me in the same sentance as those guys is just an honour and makes me very happy" He is actually very critical of his career and he told me his career defining fight was Buster Douglas and spoke very very highly of Holyfield. His modesty in retirement now that he has no need to instill fear or hype himself, should make up for his fans who over rate him (include me in there if u like!) He certainly rates Evander highly and respects him, he said when i met him that he feels the headbutts effected their fight but then just shrugged and said but thats part of the game and admitted he was no angel in the ring himself...