View Full Version : Biggest Misconception?

Scout200
06-10-2011, 01:39 PM
What do you think is the biggest misconception about your favorite fighter?

(Stemming from things you hear everywhere, yet they're not true...)

-Huey-
06-10-2011, 01:46 PM
I don't think there is any misconception about Pacquiao...he is the P4P King.

Big BRICKS
06-10-2011, 06:07 PM
I've been a fan of Fedor since his first fight with Nogueira in '03, what I can't stand is the Fedor fans who get so connected to him because of his attitude that they think he is some sort of demigod. The guy is considered by many to be the greatest ever, but at the end of the day people need to realize he is a human.

blaze778
06-10-2011, 10:38 PM
Misconceptions about my favorite fighters that I'm sick of:

-Nick Diaz being "feather-fisted." I know he's not Mike Tyson or even close to that, but how many opponents is he gonna have to hurt before that label goes away?

-Shogun was in good shape and healthy against Jones. Jones beat the post-injury/surgery version of Shogun that Forrest Griffin beat and Coleman gave hell to in their rematch. Not saying Jones can't beat a prime Shogun, but it would have been much more competitive.

-GSP is afraid of Silva. Not sure how many times he has to say that his move to 185 is a long-term one, and not just a one shot deal against Anderson.

-GSP is a homosexual. Now that's just retarded. :lol1:

$BloodyNate$
06-11-2011, 02:15 AM
Misconceptions about my favorite fighters that I'm sick of:

-Nick Diaz being "feather-fisted." I know he's not Mike Tyson or even close to that, but how many opponents is he gonna have to hurt before that label goes away?

-Shogun was in good shape and healthy against Jones. Jones beat the post-injury/surgery version of Shogun that Forrest Griffin beat and Coleman gave hell to in their rematch. Not saying Jones can't beat a prime Shogun, but it would have been much more competitive.

-GSP is afraid of Silva. Not sure how many times he has to say that his move to 185 is a long-term one, and not just a one shot deal against Anderson.

-GSP is a homosexual. Now that's just retarded. :lol1:

haha I agree with all of em but the 3rd & 4th :weed5:

GSP looked shook when he got asked after his last fight. And he's definitely a homo :luvbed: haha

-JON FITCH DOES NOT LAY N PRAY. He's probably one the most active people on the ground in top position. He was beating the ***** out of BJ at the end of the 2nd and the whole 3rd round. Was a decent fight, Thiago Alves rematch was a good fight too. He beat the ***** out of him, put him in constant danger of submission attacks. I don't know how people are going to call him a LNP fighter when he constantly gets back mount, half guard, and side control, even mount and attempts submission after submission with some punches.

-ANDERSON SILVA IS NOT OVERRATED! He's just that damn good. It's not his fault he's never looked vulnerable except in the Chael Sonnen fight. You can't tell me that does not make a difference. GSP has looked Vulnerable multiple times in the past, that's why in most of his fights, besides the Shields & Hardy fight, a lot of people thought he could be beat which makes it look like he's taking on more of a challenge. Anderson is just plain dominant and beats everybody as expected. So it looks like he ain't doing much because he has nobody that can beat him. Not his fault his chin ain't suspect.

-OVEREEM IS NOT ON STEROIDS!,ain't one of my favorite fighters but I know Dorian ought to love this ***** haha. He was obviously weight drained as you could tell in almost all of his losses he does well in the beginning but since he was weight drained he lost a lot of his fights trying to be the bigger man. Now he just added muscle. He's tall and was scrawny as **** at light heavyweight, why is it so unbelievable that he can't get big naturally?

People use this as a graph to show how he uses them but in reality it just proves them wrong. Look how he SLOWLY got bigger over the years. It's not like he beefed up in just 1-2 years like Barry Bonds. Over 3-5 years he gradually put on more and more muscle. He eats healthy as *****.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/attachments/professional-muscle-forum/43016d1298755736-incredible-bulk-overeem-discusses-diet-overeem-timeline.jpg

-

Scout200
06-21-2011, 06:19 PM

GSP looked shook when he got asked after his last fight. And he's definitely a homo :luvbed: haha

-JON FITCH DOES NOT LAY N PRAY. He's probably one the most active people on the ground in top position. He was beating the ***** out of BJ at the end of the 2nd and the whole 3rd round. Was a decent fight, Thiago Alves rematch was a good fight too. He beat the ***** out of him, put him in constant danger of submission attacks. I don't know how people are going to call him a LNP fighter when he constantly gets back mount, half guard, and side control, even mount and attempts submission after submission with some punches.

-ANDERSON SILVA IS NOT OVERRATED! He's just that damn good. It's not his fault he's never looked vulnerable except in the Chael Sonnen fight. You can't tell me that does not make a difference. GSP has looked Vulnerable multiple times in the past, that's why in most of his fights, besides the Shields & Hardy fight, a lot of people thought he could be beat which makes it look like he's taking on more of a challenge. Anderson is just plain dominant and beats everybody as expected. So it looks like he ain't doing much because he has nobody that can beat him. Not his fault his chin ain't suspect.

-OVEREEM IS NOT ON STEROIDS!,ain't one of my favorite fighters but I know Dorian ought to love this ***** haha. He was obviously weight drained as you could tell in almost all of his losses he does well in the beginning but since he was weight drained he lost a lot of his fights trying to be the bigger man. Now he just added muscle. He's tall and was scrawny as **** at light heavyweight, why is it so unbelievable that he can't get big naturally?

People use this as a graph to show how he uses them but in reality it just proves them wrong. Look how he SLOWLY got bigger over the years. It's not like he beefed up in just 1-2 years like Barry Bonds. Over 3-5 years he gradually put on more and more muscle. He eats healthy as *****.

http://www.professionalmuscle.com/forums/attachments/professional-muscle-forum/43016d1298755736-incredible-bulk-overeem-discusses-diet-overeem-timeline.jpg

-
Nice! Very well said!!

Virgil Caine
06-22-2011, 01:28 AM

-

John Fitch is definitely a lay-and-prayer. The way he wraps up people's limbs so they can't do anything and then waits for the clock to run out when he's ahead in a fight is the quintessence of lay and pray.

A. Silva is most definitely overrated. That isn't to say he's not damn good, but about as overrated as they come. Blame the Zuffa hype machine for that.

Overeem is very likely on PEDs, but so are a **** load of other fighters.

F l i c k e r
06-22-2011, 02:57 AM
John Fitch is definitely a lay-and-prayer. The way he wraps up people's limbs so they can't do anything and then waits for the clock to run out when he's ahead in a fight is the quintessence of lay and pray.

A. Silva is most definitely overrated. That isn't to say he's not damn good, but about as overrated as they come. Blame the Zuffa hype machine for that.

Overeem is very likely on PEDs, but so are a **** load of other fighters.

Silva is not over rated. Franklin x2 destroyed. Leben first knock out loss ever. The last of Hendo's prime. OHKO 2 LHWs, #1 a big hitter but trash, #2 former LHW champion. Obliterated a guy who obliterated Franklin. Took on probably the #2 MW in the world who also took steroids and still beat him.

Silva isn't over rated. He is simply the best. You hate him because he is good. That is okay. He isn't over rated though. He takes legit opponents, turns them to shyt. More than ANY mma fighter can and has done.

Regarding topic: My favorite fighter doesn't have misconceptions because they are all true. Gomi can't defend a submission for his life. His hands are second to none for lightweights, you don't stand up with Gomi period. His chin is impossible. His cardio is so-so. No misconceptions here. All facts. Gomi is Gomi.

Virgil Caine
06-22-2011, 03:35 AM
Silva is not over rated. Franklin x2 destroyed. Leben first knock out loss ever. The last of Hendo's prime. OHKO 2 LHWs, #1 a big hitter but trash, #2 former LHW champion. Obliterated a guy who obliterated Franklin. Took on probably the #2 MW in the world who also took steroids and still beat him.

Silva isn't over rated. He is simply the best. You hate him because he is good. That is okay. He isn't over rated though. He takes legit opponents, turns them to shyt. More than ANY mma fighter can and has done.

Regarding topic: My favorite fighter doesn't have misconceptions because they are all true. Gomi can't defend a submission for his life. His hands are second to none for lightweights, you don't stand up with Gomi period. His chin is impossible. His cardio is so-so. No misconceptions here. All facts. Gomi is Gomi.

Who ever said I hate him? I don't hate him, but he I do think his hype is excessive.

We all know you are a Silva dick sucker though so your reaction is understandable.

I admit it's debatable (overrated is a subjective term). I guess I'm responding to the larger than life persona built up around him by Zuffa. I just read this article yesterday, which is basically the sort of thing I'm getting at. Noxious hype from Zuffa.

Dana White: Anderson Silva is the greatest MMA fighter in history (http://www.examiner.com/international-sports-in-national/dana-white-anderson-silva-is-the-greatest-mma-fighter-history)

F l i c k e r
06-22-2011, 03:54 AM
Who ever said I hate him? I don't hate him, but he I do think his hype is excessive.

We all know you are a Silva dick sucker though so your reaction is understandable.

I admit it's debatable (overrated is a subjective term). I guess I'm responding to the larger than life persona built up around him by Zuffa. I just read this article yesterday, which is basically the sort of thing I'm getting at. Noxious hype from Zuffa.

Dana White: Anderson Silva is the greatest MMA fighter in history (http://www.examiner.com/international-sports-in-national/dana-white-anderson-silva-is-the-greatest-mma-fighter-history)

Yeaaaah, riiiiight. The guy who is a Silva dick sucker is the guy who thinks Okami is gonna beat him and take his belt. Riiiiiiiight.

Nice try ***get. Everything that comes from you is some conspiracy of Zuffa hyping and how UFC and Dana white hype their fighters over the top. blah blah blah.

Don't watch the UFC anymore and stop commenting on UFC fighters and the UFC brand in general if you hate it so much.

We get it, your one of those ***gets that don't want to listen to music everyone else does. Doesn't eat cheetos because everyone else does. Yeah we get it, you want to be different. If a guy gets some popularity and fame, you'll stop liking them. Okay, we get it. Leave now. Thank you. Come again when you realize the UFC is a business and markets their product(fighters) in a way to get people(hardcore or casual) to watch. :wave:

Virgil Caine
06-22-2011, 04:46 AM
Yeaaaah, riiiiight. The guy who is a Silva dick sucker is the guy who thinks Okami is gonna beat him and take his belt. Riiiiiiiight.

Nice try ***get. Everything that comes from you is some conspiracy of Zuffa hyping and how UFC and Dana white hype their fighters over the top. blah blah blah.

Don't watch the UFC anymore and stop commenting on UFC fighters and the UFC brand in general if you hate it so much.

We get it, your one of those ***gets that don't want to listen to music everyone else does. Doesn't eat cheetos because everyone else does. Yeah we get it, you want to be different. If a guy gets some popularity and fame, you'll stop liking them. Okay, we get it. Leave now. Thank you. Come again when you realize the UFC is a business and markets their product(fighters) in a way to get people(hardcore or casual) to watch. :wave:

**** off. You've been riding Silva's dick hard for as long as I can remember. Don't try to deny it.

You're right, I do hate Zuffa. It isn't a conspiracy theory that Zuffa try to dominate the MMA "press" and use their weight to slag off fighters outside of their org. Similar to how they use their position to rewrite history and eliminate the accomplishments of former greats, like Fedor, from the record books (see the article I linked). I still watch their b-rated production and listen to their broken record commentary, and I'll comment on whatever the hell I want to. You're an idiot if you can't see through their bull**** though. I would much prefer an org which actually promoted MMA as a sport, but Zuffa is the elephant in the room, so what can you do.

Funny that you see fighters as "products" though. That's actually one of the things wrong with Zuffa, the fact that they don't respect their fighters. Why else would they present some douche bag like White as the face of their organization.

F l i c k e r
06-22-2011, 05:02 AM
I ranked silva p4p #1. Yes. is that dick riding? no. I say he is better than gsp, and should be ranked higher than fedor(when fedor was ranked). is that dick riding? no. I have not once made any post to reflect that, ex: groundstpound and gsp. The only person I have ever non-sensibly defended on this site is Gomi. I recognize that. As far as Silva no. He is simply the best fighter around, can he lose? Yes. I even stated that Jon Jones would destroy him if they fought. I am even rooting for Okami, my favorite MW to beat him and have on numerous occasions claimed Dana won't give Okami a shot and (jokingly) said Silva was ducking him.

I recognize everything Zuffa does. The difference is I don't get hung up on it like you do. I have stated that the UFC attempts to buy companies when they gain popularity on par or close to UFC and then merges them. They did it to WEC and it's only a matter of time before they do it to strikeforce. I have stated WEC was becoming more exciting than even the UFC and then they merged it. You however go on some witch hunt, crying and *****ing about ufc and how you hate it and how they hype fighters so much. What are the supposed to do? it's apart of the business. Just like the EPL(english premiere league) promotes their shyt as the best soccer league in the world, yet whenever they play a spanish team in the Champions League they don't win.

Fighters are products when they are under organizations. Specifically ones like Zuffa and the UFC. This isn't boxing where you have the WBC and then Top Rank. Combine Top Rank and the WBC, you'll get the corrupt bullshyt that UFC does. I haven't defended UFC actions but you want to put the cards on the table, insults and all. Let's go because from day one you have done nothing but continuously state how corrupt UFC is, all of the UFC best fighters are over hyped and if a fighter gains popularity you start singing the tune of hype job. Dan hardy, hype job. GSP, the blanket. Overeem, steroids. Silva, over hyped. What's next? Jose Aldo when he moves to lw? I'm surprised you haven't done it to Jon jones yet.

If you don't like it, don't watch it. Stick to over seas promotions and backyard club cards.

Virgil Caine
06-24-2011, 03:33 PM
Just a few points for clarification regarding this thread.

I would've done so before, but I've been really ****ing busy lately and didn't have time to go tit for tat over an internet forum.

When I say that A. Silva is overrated and refer to the notion that "he's just that damn good" as a misnomer, what I mean is essentially that nobody is unbeatable. He's had a hell of a run, but he has also reached a status which, in my opinion, crosses over from a normal fighter to something more like a demigod. This despite the fact that he's looked underwhelming in some of his recent fights, and at 36 is, in my humble opinion, beginning to show some signs of slowing down. The Belfort fight produced a nice highlight reel knockout, and Silva certainly deserves credit for what that victory is worth. The trouble is, I personally don't think it is worth that much, as Vitor never really had a chance in that fight. And where it concerns Zuffa is obviously with regards to the fact that the marketing machinery of Zuffa is fully behind Silva. That isn't Silva's fault, but it is part of the landscape. And when I read articles of White claiming Silva to be the "greatest ever" on account of a 5-year unbeaten run and a 13-fight winning streak, it is clear to me that he is merely shamelessly parroting the praises long bestowed on Fedor (except for the minor inconvenience that Fedor doubled each of these figures), while not so slyly taking a jab at Fedor by calling Silva the GOAT (I don't even know if White respects Silva, it's obviously all political). It isn't as though these things are disconnected, and the approach is somewhat nauseating. Again, this isn't Silva's doing, but it is still the order of things.

You know everything going on with Zuffa? Okay. If you say so. You don't care, and prefer to focus on other things and not worry about it? Fine, maybe I have a more acute interest in politics or in the general nature of things than do you. I should stop watching Zuffa if I don't like it? I have a better idea, how about I'll watch whatever the **** I feel like, and I'll present my opinion where I see fit.

Oh and what was this **** about music and Cheetos? Actually, you have me all wrong, in the sense that I don't oppose things merely to be different. I do however oppose things where I find cause to do so. Likewise, there is a lot of stupid crap put out on the airwaves which is supposedly "music." So, you're right in the sense that I don't like being spoon fed D-rate corporate crap, whether it be ****ty pop music or a death metal laden Zuffa promo. And I've actually never cared for Cheetos, for as long as I can remember. I much prefer the shrimp-based equivalent I find in my local 7-11 here in Japan. Or a bag of Doritos or something.

I understand though, the entire thing which set you off was my referring to you as a Silva dick sucker. While it was clearly intended as a vernacular of nut huger, it's all gravy. Didn't mean to offend you homie. :blowjob: