View Full Version : Joe Calzaghe vs Andre Ward?

Stallone60
06-10-2011, 08:58 AM
Calzaghe vs Ward how do you have it?

Rip Chudd
06-10-2011, 09:13 AM
In the UK, Calzaghe by UD. In Oakland, Ward by UD.

Marchegiano
06-10-2011, 09:26 AM
Dre wins any where....I like Joe...but Andre's a better boxer.

Cokezaghe_Loc
06-10-2011, 09:33 AM
Dre wins any where....I like Joe...but Andre's a better boxer.

Based on what? His wins ( In his Hometown ) over "ATG's" Alan Green, Sakio Bika, and Edison Miranda?

Don't make me laugh.

Dave Rado
06-10-2011, 09:34 AM
Based on what? His wins ( In his Hometown ) over "ATG's" Alan Green, Sakio Bika, and Edison Miranda?

Don't make me laugh.

Why did you ignore the Kessler fight?

-JUGGERNAUT-
06-10-2011, 09:35 AM
Ward is not fit to spit-shine Calzaghe's kicks.

Rip Chudd
06-10-2011, 09:37 AM
Because it's one of Joe's best wins as well. haha

Cokezaghe_Loc
06-10-2011, 09:43 AM

I didn't - I regard it as a great win; especially for a Green fighter - which Ward was at the time. But even adding Kessler on his resume doesn't make Ward out to be someone whom would "Beat Calzaghe anywhere"

The Surgeon
06-10-2011, 09:54 AM
I actually like Ward over Joe, and if Andre gets by Froch in style then that makes me even more confident.

Sad that ALREADY there is a case building for these guys being better than or at least on Joes level and he had 11 - 12 years as champ to build his rep

New England
06-10-2011, 10:14 AM
i actually think this would turn into a fun fight.

we don't know a whole lot about ward yet, as crazy as that seems considering he's the best at 168 in the world.

he could be that good
he has not lost since he was 12 years old. he's a very versatile fighter.
like joe, he can adjust.

rounds 1-4 would probably look very different from rounds 5-8 and 9-12 respectively.

joe's a bit more of a rounded fighter while ward is a well rounded boxer.

my only hope would be that they'd go 15 rounds, because nobody is getting stopped, and the fight would likely be very competitive

judging, officiating, and location would obviously factor

i'm going with calzaghe because he's had a longer opportunity to be a consistent and winning fighter, and i've seen him tested and still come out with the W. he also fought and beat kessler on a much better night, so i wont take much from their fights against a common opponent.

and joe also had kessler ready to go and hurt to the body, while ward was merely boxing his ears off
but kessler fought ward with much more caution than he fought calzaghe. when kessler fought calzaghe he was at the height of his powers physically and mentally.

Dave Rado
06-10-2011, 10:25 AM
Because it's one of Joe's best wins as well. haha

That's not a reason to completely ignore it. And Ward dominated Kessler far more than Joe did.

The Surgeon
06-10-2011, 10:28 AM
i actually think this would turn into a fun fight.

we don't know a whole lot about ward yet, as crazy as that seems considering he's the best at 168 in the world.

he could be that good
he has not lost since he was 12 years old. he's a very versatile fighter.
like joe, he can adjust.

rounds 1-4 would probably look very different from rounds 5-8 and 9-12 respectively.

joe's a bit more of a rounded fighter while ward is a well rounded boxer.

my only hope would be that they'd go 15 rounds, because nobody is getting stopped, and the fight would likely be very competitive

judging, officiating, and location would obviously factor

i'm going with calzaghe because he's had a longer opportunity to be a consistent and winning fighter, and i've seen him tested and still come out with the W. he also fought and beat kessler on a much better night, so i wont take much from their fights against a common opponent.

and joe also had kessler ready to go and hurt to the body, while ward was merely boxing his ears off
but kessler fought ward with much more caution than he fought calzaghe. when kessler fought calzaghe he was at the height of his powers physically and mentally.

Good well thought out post as usual buddy, ive obviously gone with Ward but i agree on alot of this.

As for the bolded part i feel we saw a Better Kessler vs Froch than vs Joe and i just wanted to let it be noted that Kessler went into the Calzaghe fight with a bad right hand......Or at least so im lead to believe

Dave Rado
06-10-2011, 10:31 AM
I didn't - I regard it as a great win;

You didn't mention it in your previous post, which was very odd given that you seemed to be listing what you considered to be Ward's best wins.

But even adding Kessler on his resume doesn't make Ward out to be someone whom would "Beat Calzaghe anywhere"

He doesn't have much of a resume yet but he's shown amazing technical skills and ring IQ. Who would win is pure conjecture, especially at such an early stage of Ward's career, which is why I haven't voted in the poll; but Ward certainly beat Kessler more convincingly than Joe did (albeit Joe was arguably facing a much better version of Kessler than Ward was).

Cokezaghe_Loc
06-10-2011, 10:35 AM
You didn't mention it in your previous post.

He doesn't have much of a resume yet but he's shown amazing technical skills and ring IQ. Who would win is pure conjecture, especially at such an early stage of Ward's career, which is why I haven't voted in the poll; but Ward certainly beat Kessler more convincingly than Joe did (albeit Joe was arguably facing a much better version of Kessler than Ward was).

Absolutely Agree. Joe just remains underrated for me. I think he'd adapt To Ward and outmatch him.

BigStereotype
06-10-2011, 11:01 AM
I don't really think this would be a good fight but it would certainly be competitive and tight. There would be an awful lot of clinching. At the end of the day though, I think Calzaghe is just slightly better and would pull out the win.

PRINCE O' PROSE
06-10-2011, 11:52 AM
Wait, don't the Kessler boosters claim that he was off his best form vs. Calzaghe due to a damaged hand coming into the fight?

And how exactly did Kessler deteriorate so badly in the two years between his defeats to Joe and Dre? Can somebody give me their detailed breakdown of exactly which areas his performance had degraded in, plz?

Or could it be that he was the same upright, methodical Kessler and simply met his Kryptonite in the deep skillset and the creativity Ward brings to the table?

Yepp, I'd say we're getting closer to the truth now.

TheSlickster
06-10-2011, 12:34 PM
Def wasn't because Kessler downgraded. Ward just had his number. Kessler was a beast in the Froch fight...so it def was because of Ward's style.

PRINCE O' PROSE
06-10-2011, 12:46 PM
Def wasn't because Kessler downgraded. Ward just had his number. Kessler was a beast in the Froch fight...so it def was because of Ward's style.
Ward's style is too multi-faceted, and he does it all to too high a standard, for Methodical Mikkel to ever cope with him.

You could get in the Tardis and bring Kessler 2K07 here and he still gets bullied by Dre.

SCtrojansbaby
06-10-2011, 03:35 PM
Ward beat him up badly it wouldn't even be competitive

PRINCE O' PROSE
06-10-2011, 04:59 PM
Yeah, maybe the "much better" KESSLER2K7 could have, you know, won a round. :sad:

:lol1:

The_Demon
06-10-2011, 05:00 PM
A prime Calzaghe would beat the Ward of today by close decision imo,he may not be technically great but his workrate and unusual angles would give him the edge in this one,Ward would land plenty of right hand leads but would ultimately be outhustled down the stretch

Ziggy Stardust
06-10-2011, 10:47 PM
Ward is not fit to spit-shine Calzaghe's kicks.

Shocker.....another alt makes an appearance :rolleyes9:

Poet

#1Assassin
06-11-2011, 02:20 PM
ward all day. he might not have achieved a whole lot yet but anyone who knows boxing can see he will be a great, great fighter. on the other hand i dont consider calzaghe a great fighter at all, imo hes amongst the most overrated fighters ever. he chose his fights carefully and fought in a very weak division.

ward, bute and froch would all kill calzaghe imo. i would give dirrell and current johnson a good chance to beat him too. prime johnson kills him.. perhaps literally.

phallus
06-11-2011, 06:40 PM
calzaghe would UD him, joe could always find another gear. everytime he fought a slick boxer his high punch output and angles took the fight away from them. ward is a better boxer but calzaghe has more determination, he would force ward to fight at a pace he couldn't keep up, like he did to hopkins