View Full Version : All UFC Non-Title Main Events Will Be Five Round Fights Going Forward

blaze778
06-09-2011, 06:40 PM
Five round non-title fights in main events will be the standard going forward in the UFC.

UFC President Dana White made the official announcement on Thursday that any fight signed from this day forward as a main event would be a 5 round fight, regardless of if itís a title fight or not.

Any fight currently signed for a main event thatís not a title fight such as Rashad Evans and Phil Davis, who square off at UFC 133 in Philadelphia, will remain a 3 round fight.

White was specific in stating all future bout agreements for main event non-title fights would be five round affairs.

This will be the first time in the modern history of the sport that MMA has had five round fights that are not championship bouts.

White has long talked about making the move, and said they almost made the jump at UFC 131, but bout agreements had already been signed and the fighters were already in training camps to prepare for a three round fight.

ďWeíre very close to doing it,Ē White revealed when speaking about five round non-title fights following UFC 129.

Now it is a reality.

White also specified that this policy is in effect for any show that the UFC produces whether itís a pay-per-view or a UFC Fight Night event, main event fights will be 5 round non-title bouts.

Let the cardio and conditioning workouts begin.

http://mmaweekly.com/all-ufc-non-title-main-events-will-be-five-round-fights-going-forward

blaze778
06-09-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm really not quite sure I like this idea.

It's nice when a 3 round fight is close and those fights could have the benefit of having 2 extra rounds.

But 5 round fights made title matches feel special in a way.

I know non-title boxing main events are usually 12 rounds, but adding two 3 minute rounds to a 10 round boxing match is a lot different than adding two 5 minute rounds to a 3 round fight.

And sometimes I'm glad a boring fight is only 3 rounds long.

THE_BIG_HURT
06-09-2011, 08:22 PM
i'm happy about this because sometimes The main event is between 2 evenly matched big time fighters but if there isnt a strap on the line it ends in 15 mins and thats just long enough for a major fight.

could you imagine Floyd Mayweather fighting any top dogs who dont have a belt in a 6-10 round main event? it just would never happen. Championship on the line or not.

$BloodyNate$
06-09-2011, 08:24 PM
I like how that excluded Rashad vs Phil haha, Last thing we need is 5 rounds of Rashad humping Phil.

In general though I this idea. I mean maybe not for TUF main events for the contract, but Pettis-Guida I would have loved to be 5 rounds. If Diego-Hughes happens to be a main event, that's a 5 round must.

Too bad this didn't happen in time for Thiago-Rashad or Rashad-Rampage or Rashad's ass would have been KTFO twice! In fact, this might actually suck for Rashad-Phil, Maybe Phil could take him out with 2 extra rounds. Rashads cardio has always been ****in terrible.

SkillspayBills
06-09-2011, 10:21 PM
Bad idea. It takes away the "Big fight atmosphere" for championship bouts. I liked that a 5 round fight would be for THE belt but this.......not so much. Especially if you have it even for a freaking UFC fight night.

$BloodyNate$
06-09-2011, 11:01 PM
Bad idea. It takes away the "Big fight atmosphere" for championship bouts. I liked that a 5 round fight would be for THE belt but this.......not so much. Especially if you have it even for a freaking UFC fight night.

I guess it depends because some fight night main events are pretty sick.

Like Diego vs Karo. That's the ultimate 3 round fight that should have went 5 ****in rounds. One of the greatest MMA fights, PERIOD. And it was suppose to be a #1 contenders fight until Serra won TUF.

Condit-Kampman was a great ass fight that would have been sweet to go another 2 rounds, Diego-Kampman, Diego-Diaz, Tanner-Grove. And if their's a ever a chance of another Forrest-Bonnar, that ***** better be 5 rounds since season finalist main event now.

F l i c k e r
06-09-2011, 11:43 PM
He is only doing this because Penn and Fitch both demanded a 5 round fight for their rematch. Which obviously isn't for a title.

If it wasn't for them, Dana wouldn't be going on with this.

chiguy91
06-09-2011, 11:58 PM
i'm not too sure how i feel about this. sometimes title fights are boring and would've been better off as 3 rounders, but then some nontitle fights seem like they should've deserved those extra 2 rounds...we'll see how it turns out, interesting thing to do though.

elgranluchadore
06-10-2011, 01:34 AM
it's a good idea some of the ppv main events are almost as important as title fights itself and they sure cost the same for the viewers
it's gonna help the sport because we won't have fights like machida vs rampage anymore imo odds are that wins will be more decisive

F l i c k e r
06-10-2011, 02:04 AM
He may as well add knees to the head of a grounded opponent as well.

that way, we don't get a higher percentage of LnP fights that last longer.

Could you image every main event looking like Anthony Johnson vs Dan Hardy? gtfoh. :pat:

Marchegiano
06-10-2011, 08:57 AM
....**** that ****. They ought to get their fighters up to par. How many non-champions don't look gassed after the 1st? Most fights struggle to see 2 and 3 finishes. The strikes get slow and weak....UFC seems to think they've got fighters with cardio....

blaze778
06-10-2011, 06:26 PM
i'm not too sure how i feel about this. sometimes title fights are boring and would've been better off as 3 rounders, but then some nontitle fights seem like they should've deserved those extra 2 rounds...we'll see how it turns out, interesting thing to do though.

I feel the same way.

I see the advantages of this, but having 2 extra rounds in a boring fight won't help matters.

It would be a good motivator to get guys in top condition though.

Other than that, I felt like 5 rounders made title fights feel special.

Fighters in 5 round main events should definitely be compensated more.

blaze778
06-10-2011, 06:27 PM
He is only doing this because Penn and Fitch both demanded a 5 round fight for their rematch. Which obviously isn't for a title.

If it wasn't for them, Dana wouldn't be going on with this.

I doubt guys like Penn and Fitch have that much pull with Dana White and the UFC.

Dana won't just change rules drastically just to make two fighters happy. Fitch is not a draw and never held a title, and Penn and Dana aren't exactly best friends.

I'm sure their match was just one of many examples as to why this move was made.