View Full Version : Greg Haugen fanthread

Pastrano
06-09-2011, 07:40 AM
Greg Haugen...what can you say about him? OTB would be the right description-One Tough Bastard. But he's also a good man, nevermind the ring antics he displayed against Camacho or the Chavez prefight trashtalk, it was just his style. Greg is known as a kind, generous man by those who really know him. He's also an anomaly, being the only non-Italian American-born white fighter in his time and one of the few of all time that was among the best lightweights of his era. Greg is of predominantly Norwegian ancestry with some Native American blood in him.

Greg wasn't known as a particularly big puncher or being very fast on his feet but he was a highly skilled technician. We will never know how his fight with Pernell Whitaker would turn out if he had really made an effort and not boycotted the fight instead in protest against his management. You can find this statement in this interview: You lost that title the following year to Pernell Whitaker, thoughts?
Greg Haugen: I was pretty disappointed at that time with my management. They didn***8217;t know boxing and I didn***8217;t know much about the fight business. They were throwing me to the wolves every fight. I was mad, pissed off because I was the champ and I am fighting on the road again. It was kind of my protest fight, a boycott against management. I just didn***8217;t throw many punches and lost.

However, Greg was not a featherfist, having stopped such promising fighters as Freddie Roach (TKO7), undefeated Dane and future champ Gert Bo Jacobsen (TKO10) and the over the hill Ray Mancini (TKO7). Greg Haugen loved a brawl, even tho he was a technician which also is pretty rare in itself. He was most known for his rivalry with Vinny Paz(ienza) and the two had a very funny exchange on tv, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0UOZB_tg-o

The Surgeon
06-09-2011, 07:50 AM
I know alot of guys around here are fans but i never really liked him tbh

Steak
06-09-2011, 08:55 AM
loved his fights against Pazienza. great stuff. deserved the decision in the first one imo.

He was just one of those fighters who was unlucky to be around when two unbelievable ATGs happened to be in his weight range...Whitaker and Chavez. and for that reason he usually is only remembered for his losses. but he was definitely a very good fighter.

BattlingNelson
06-09-2011, 10:33 AM
I think that Haugen is somewhat underrated. Probably due to the losses he got late in his career against Chavez etc.

I had the privilege to see him in his prime when he fought the undefeated Gert Bo Jacobsen in Denmark. Haugen totally neutralized Jacobsen who couldn't get his boxing to work or his big right to land. That was credit to Haugens brilliant jab and awkward stance.

Haugen was a genuine tough guy and a great smack talker. I knew him from his fights with Jimmy Paul and Vinny Paz and I became a fan after he kicked the ass of my favourite Jacobsen.

In regards to smack talk his remark to Chavez about his record consisted of Tijuana taxidrivers, is still one that makes me lol.

Ziggy Stardust
06-09-2011, 09:02 PM
Greg Haugen...what can you say about him? OTB would be the right description-One Tough Bastard. But he's also a good man, nevermind the ring antics he displayed against Camacho or the Chavez prefight trashtalk, it was just his style. Greg is known as a kind, generous man by those who really know him. He's also an anomaly, being the only non-Italian American-born white fighter in his time and one of the few of all time that was among the best lightweights of his era. Greg is of predominantly Norwegian ancestry with some Native American blood in him.

Greg wasn't known as a particularly big puncher or being very fast on his feet but he was a highly skilled technician. We will never know how his fight with Pernell Whitaker would turn out if he had really made an effort and not boycotted the fight instead in protest against his management. You can find this statement in this interview:

However, Greg was not a featherfist, having stopped such promising fighters as Freddie Roach (TKO7), undefeated Dane and future champ Gert Bo Jacobsen (TKO10) and the over the hill Ray Mancini (TKO7). Greg Haugen loved a brawl, even tho he was a technician which also is pretty rare in itself. He was most known for his rivalry with Vinny Paz(ienza) and the two had a very funny exchange on tv, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0UOZB_tg-o

Found yet another white fighter to nuthug I see :jerk0ff9:

Poet

Scott9945
06-09-2011, 09:19 PM
We will never know how his fight with Pernell Whitaker would turn out if he had really made an effort and not boycotted the fight instead in protest against his management.

I think we all know how that fight would have turned out. Haugen would have been hopelessly outclassed.

TBear
06-10-2011, 06:55 AM
I thought he was alright. I first noticed Haugen when he was beating ESPN stars Freddie Roach, Chris Calvin and Charlie Brown. He stopped all three and they were all tough guys. I was impressed with his win over Jimmy Paul and thought he beat Paz the first time too.
Of course he was no match for Whitaker but it was cool the way he upset the unbeaten Camacho! Though Haugen was past his prime the war with Tony "The Tiger" Lopez was a classic! He had flaws but I thought he gave us a hell of a ride!

The Smash
06-10-2011, 02:40 PM
I think that Haugen is somewhat underrated. Probably due to the losses he got late in his career against Chavez etc.

I had the privilege to see him in his prime when he fought the undefeated Gert Bo Jacobsen in Denmark. Haugen totally neutralized Jacobsen who couldn't get his boxing to work or his big right to land. That was credit to Haugens brilliant jab and awkward stance.

Haugen was a genuine tough guy and a great smack talker. I knew him from his fights with Jimmy Paul and Vinny Paz and I became a fan after he kicked the ass of my favourite Jacobsen.

In regards to smack talk his remark to Chavez about his record consisted of Tijuana taxidrivers, is still one that makes me lol.

Agreed. Not sure why, but in boxing, cabdriver is probably the best insult going.

BattlingNelson
06-10-2011, 03:08 PM
Agreed. Not sure why, but in boxing, cabdriver is probably the best insult going.
Garbageman aint that bad either. :lol1:

Pastrano
06-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Chavez did fight a lot of bums early on.Lol...some of them might actually started working as cab drivers afterwards.:lol1: