View Full Version : Roy Jones Jr's training routine and diet (as of 2002)

JUYJUY
09-30-2005, 05:43 PM
After several rounds of warming up (and press ups) he did 12 rounds of boxing (pads/sparring/bags). Roy did 4 minute rounds all the time and then did 16 minutes each on speedball and floor-to-ceiling ball. This was followed by 1200 reps on the abs (he had gradually increased total ammount of reps on the abs over time) and 16 minutes of skipping before a stretch. He also ran 5 miles in the morning followed by squats. He played basketball after lunch. It took up 6-7 hours of his day. It is assumed that he always used that routine since splitting with his father.

Roy ate fruit for breakfast, chicken salad for lunch with some vegetables and pasta. He had a protein dinner which was usually some more chicken. He had never in his life had any alcohol or drug in him at all. When his father trained him he was also banned from womanising and even masturbation!

Apparently the only time he ever used weights to train his upper body was for the Ruiz fight, and that was the only time he ever worked with Don King too. He had promised himself never to use weights to train his upper body and also had promised himself never to work with Don King, but the Ruiz fight was a one-off and he considered it career-defining at the time.

666boy666
09-30-2005, 06:11 PM
When his father trained him he was also banned from womanising and even masturbation!

..............................................you find ways around that rule

InThisCorner
09-30-2005, 06:19 PM
Yeah, what man can go without sex or even masturbation? I know I couldn't...and with the drugs and alcohol it's possible I guess but he is a rapper and usually when rapper's are in the studio they aren't drinking pop...but you never know. JuyJuy name Eubank's training schedule!

JUYJUY
09-30-2005, 07:11 PM
JuyJuy name Eubank's training schedule!
First I started my stretching, then
3 rounds of shadow boxing,
6 rounds of heavy bag work,
3 rounds of speed ball,
Skipping between 20 to 30 minutes non-stop, no break straight through.
50 sit-ups, not crunches proper sit-ups.
Stretching.
Finish with 20 hits in the stomach with a medicine ball.

That was generally the routine.
If I was sparring it was the same routine but without the bag work.

- from Eubank's forum

(I know that he used to run many miles on Bodmin Moor in preparation for fights too, sometimes even twice a day running)

Moschino045
09-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Looks like Roy was overtraining to me

JUYJUY
09-30-2005, 11:10 PM
Looks like Roy was overtraining to me
It was more Eubank under-training if your comparing those two routines, Eubank always preferred quality over quantity. He felt that if he went too intense his arms would burn out and he wouldn't be able to train for days and this wouldn't keep him sharp, so Eubank preferred quality over quantity. Eubank also felt that taking a few med ball shots to the body conditioned him better to take a body shot than just doing loads of ab stuff.

spinksjinx
10-01-2005, 01:37 AM
It was more Eubank under-training if your comparing those two routines, Eubank always preferred quality over quantity. He felt that if he went too intense his arms would burn out and he wouldn't be able to train for days and this wouldn't keep him sharp, so Eubank preferred quality over quantity. Eubank also felt that taking a few med ball shots to the body conditioned him better to take a body shot than just doing loads of ab stuff.

Yeah I noticed Eubank did VERY little ab work...One thing most people neglect in ab work is proper breathing. You can do 1000 crunches but if you dont hold and release at the right time they are void and really give you no gain. I assume Eubank held them for a short period of time and then relaxed and went back up when he did his crunches.

jack_the_rippuh
10-01-2005, 01:40 AM
Not really I don't really worry much about my breathing and my abs get more and more gooder the more and more I do the sit upper..

Tha Greatest
10-01-2005, 01:42 AM
Roy has NEVER drank in his life?

Watch MTV cribs when they go to Roy Jones house, then he has a BIG bottle of alcohol in his fridge, and says it is his favorite.

JUYJUY, you are FULL of ****...

#1. You said Robinson never hit heavybags which was bull****, he said he does in his biography

#2. I saw RJJ in MTV cribs with his liquor.

spinksjinx
10-01-2005, 01:44 AM
Not really I don't really worry much about my breathing and my abs get more and more gooder the more and more I do the sit upper..

I can hold a crunch with proper breathing and feel my abdominals burn.....Try it sometime, I use to do a lot of ab exercises close to 500 reps and I have cut back a lot and used some better breathing techniques and I think I have seen better results.

But everyone has a six pack it all comes down to dieting.

Super_Lightweight
10-01-2005, 02:12 AM

Watch MTV cribs when they go to Roy Jones house, then he has a BIG bottle of alcohol in his fridge, and says it is his favorite.

#1. You said Robinson never hit heavybags which was bull****, he said he does in his biography

For the record, I own the episode of Cribs and Roy said that the bottle of alcohol in the fridge was a gift and it was still sealed shut in the original wrapper. Roy is not the partying type and never has been.

Roy drinks very little if at all.

Tha Greatest
10-01-2005, 02:22 AM
For the record, I own the episode of Cribs and Roy said that the bottle of alcohol in the fridge was a gift and it was still sealed shut in the original wrapper. Roy is not the partying type and never has been.

Roy drinks very little if at all.

Ooo ok, my bad..

JUYJUY, I apologize.

-Nova-
10-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Yo didn't roy make a song called "I smoke, I drank"

Pariah21388
10-01-2005, 03:00 AM

hahaha wow

Kid Achilles
10-01-2005, 03:27 AM
The way real crunches work, you don't need to do too many. In fact, **** counting the reps. Just download 8 Minutes Abs.

While your doing the exercises, go really slow, and contract and squeeze at the top before coming down. Take a second to relax your abs while on the floor and then slowly come up. 8 Minutes Abs is good (though corny as hell) because it's reasonably quick, effective, and goes through some oblique exercises as well.

JUYJUY
10-01-2005, 12:19 PM
I personally cannot believe that Jones Jr has never drunk alcohol or smoked drugs in his life, but that's what he always claims. He claimed in the interview in 2002 when they were asking him of his training that the only vices he has ever had is ****fighting and womanising.

Here's what he said in an interview in 96, make your own mind up wether he's lying or not..
The best thing I can say to you young guys is that I started at age 10. The reason that I started so young was because to get a jump on everybody else. The one thing from boxing that I learned how it felt to win. That was the best thing in life for me, was to be able to come home and say -- I won. Something that I practiced on, something that I put a lot of time and effort into and rose to the top. Now I didn't win every time as an amateur, but still, it gave me more of a desire to want to go back and work extra hard so that I cou ld come back and ma ybe win next time. Learning that feeling made it a lot easier for me to say no to drugs and alcohol because I wanted to be the best when I got to where I am now, and that' s why it's so hard for the rest of them, James Toney, Vinny Pazienza, all of them. . . They want to move me, they can't move me 'cause I'm here to stay. Because I never did anything to default against myself when I was coming up. I never, to this day, had a drug, I never had alcohol in me, because I don't need those things. I have boxing, I have winning on my mind. I made that clear to myself when I first started boxing and that's the way I kept it. So it'll be a while before I do get beat, probably
http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/box996x.htm

JUYJUY
10-01-2005, 12:22 PM
Here's Jones Jr's explanation as to why he started basketball -
I got real bored in '96. Wasn't nobody to fight. Nothing to look forward to. That's when I started playing basketball again. Had I not started playing basketball, my boxing career would have failed. But I went from a sport where nobody could touch me to another where I couldn't touch nobody. First time we'd play teams, guys would go by me and give me hell. Made me hustle twice as hard. As I got in the groove of it, these guys didn't get by me so easy. First time, yeah. Second time, maybe. Third time, it wasn't the same Roy Jones. Now they're saying, "Damn, you got so much better!" It made me see both sides. It taught me the difference between having the talent, being blessed, and working hard and not having the talent but having the guts and wanting to be the best. I could appreciate being at the top of my sport. At the time, I could be myself on the basketball court and know what would be coming at me in the ring. I know how that guy feels. I know what he's thinking. He ain't nobody, but he wants to make me look like a nobody. And that's what allows me to whup him so good.
http://www.esquire.com/features/learned/030301_mwi_jones.html

JUYJUY
10-01-2005, 12:24 PM
You said Robinson never hit heavybags which was bull****, he said he does in his biography
Well Robinson told Nat Fleicher(sp?) that he prefers to hit small speedbags and small double-end bags to develop his accuracy rather than hit the heavy bags, he always said that accuracy was more important than power. So I'm only going by what Robinson said man.

theclawoftheTiger
10-01-2005, 02:45 PM
Before he fought David Telesco, RJjnr said "Look, just one punch can wipe away all the hard work I've done every day for 20 years, so one second can wipe out 20 years of hard work. I see it like this: the more drugs you have the more likely it will happen, the more alcohol you have the more likely it will happen, but the more you pray the less likely it will happen."

RJjnr is NOT from the street .. RJjnr is from the farm!

He's from the farm not the street

MeccaOfBoxing
08-09-2010, 11:23 PM
Very interesting thanks

bbos
08-10-2010, 12:13 AM
why doesn't roy train with weights? what the negative side effects with weight trainning?

AL YANKAB*TCH
08-10-2010, 12:22 AM
I live about 20 minutes from Roy. He's got fighting ****s on his front gate. Yeah Roys def a country boy. He actually has several houses in Pensacola.