View Full Version : Battling Siki

Pastrano
06-05-2011, 08:33 AM
This guy was quite a character. I believe he was the first African world champion, is that correct? His ko victory over Georges Carpentier must have been one of the biggest upsets in history. I think Carpentier vastly underated him, but still. He was Carpentier...

Shame Siki could not control himself outside the ring and sometimes not even inside. I believe he woulda remained champion if he trained more and partied less, just like so many other "oldtimers". Baer and Johansson spring to mind mostly. Siki was also a WW1 hero, decorated. Then it all came to head and he got shot after a brawl in a speakeasy.:nonono: Only 28 years old.

alexd*
07-14-2011, 01:05 PM
This guy was quite a character. I believe he was the first African world champion, is that correct? His ko victory over Georges Carpentier must have been one of the biggest upsets in history. I think Carpentier vastly underated him, but still. He was Carpentier...

Shame Siki could not control himself outside the ring and sometimes not even inside. I believe he woulda remained champion if he trained more and partied less, just like so many other "oldtimers". Baer and Johansson spring to mind mostly. Siki was also a WW1 hero, decorated. Then it all came to head and he got shot after a brawl in a speakeasy.:nonono: Only 28 years old.

He certainly was a character. He had a pet lion that he regularly paraded through Paris on a leash! There's a good book on him by Peter Benson.

La_Vibora
07-18-2011, 10:07 AM
http://www.cyberboxingzone.com/boxing/siki-b.htm