View Full Version : why boxing?

phook
09-29-2005, 09:53 AM
just curious, what motivates you to box?

tebe6sm
09-29-2005, 10:19 AM
I was a lazy ass bastard last year so I decided no more lazy. Plus I saw Rocky for my first time last year and turned me onto boxing (because it's such a realistic boxing movie). Also, boxing forces me to keep in shape so I don't just sit around all day watching tv or whatever.

zip
09-29-2005, 11:27 AM
rofl Rocky is realistic :P?

I was lazy, fat, weak and had no friends. Needed to burn some anger on something. And boxing looked cool (I admit that stuff like rocky and hajime no ippo inpsired me...) And i have been doing it for a year now.

chopper77
09-29-2005, 01:38 PM
It's the oldest form of hand to hand basically. The Romans would put on leather straps with metal studs attached and fight to the death. Personnaly I always thought I needed to get good with my hands to fight off my older brother, and other guys that wanted to kick my ass.

SilentButViolent
09-29-2005, 06:54 PM
healthy,relieve anger/stress,just love the sport,and ****ing up people who talk **** on the street...LOL

Rockin'
09-29-2005, 07:03 PM
I did it out of pure curiosity at first. Plus, a kid that said that he was a boxer challenged me and stated that he would kick my ass if I showed up at that gym, not to mention that he would pay my membership fee. He never showed, but I did.

I found it a great vent for my anger, a place where I could cut loose and yet still have honor when I was done, unlike venting that anger in the streets. After being tortured by older and stronger siblings I wanted to make sure that I could fend for my self in any situation, I feel confident of my abilities if placed in the situation now. I just wanted to make sure that no body could harm me.

The adrenaline is not mentioned much, but it is there. In overdosing quantities it seemed to flow through my veins as I fought under the lights, to that feeling there is nothing in the world to compare.

Rockin' :boxing:

SilentButViolent
09-29-2005, 07:23 PM
I did it out of pure curiosity at first. Plus, a kid that said that he was a boxer challenged me and stated that he would kick my ass if I showed up at that gym, not to mention that he would pay my membership fee. He never showed, but I did.

I found it a great vent for my anger, a place where I could cut loose and yet still have honor when I was done, unlike venting that anger in the streets. After being tortured by older and stronger siblings I wanted to make sure that I could fend for my self in any situation, I feel confident of my abilities if placed in the situation now. I just wanted to make sure that no body could harm me.

The adrenaline is not mentioned much, but it is there. In overdosing quantities it seemed to flow through my veins as I fought under the lights, to that feeling there is nothing in the world to compare.

Rockin' :boxing:good for you homie,wish you the best of luck

EXIGE
09-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Basically my mate got me into boxing as me and another mate were having a conversation on my doorstep. He comes over and it just somehow got onto the subject of boxing (dotn ask how, cant remember). Then he was like telling me a bit abotu it. My other mate didnt really care about it. But i was interested. Then i basically started watching some fights. (This is all in like the last 5-6 months, so my knowledge is lower than almost every poster when it comes to boxing).

Then me and him said that we need to join a boxing gym. When we joined, we knew we were good beginners and this helped us become pretty good. (I have only been at my club about 4-5 months now and already am considered a good boxer). However there are loads better than me. As you can probably understand.

That was basically it. Plus i had self motivation to be able to defend myself and get fit, and all that ****. But to me that was like something that happened after i discovered the sport. Had it not been for my friend i probably would have continued playing football (soccer).

Pariah21388
09-29-2005, 08:25 PM
healthy,relieve anger/stress,just love the sport,and ****ing up people who talk **** on the street...LOL
i agree, relieves stress and gives me self confidence and good health (if you train well and eat healthy)

Sweat
09-29-2005, 08:28 PM

I was lazy, fat, weak and had no friends. Needed to burn some anger on something. And boxing looked cool (I admit that stuff like rocky and hajime no ippo inpsired me...) And i have been doing it for a year now.

hajime no ippo? isnt that the anime thing? Is it really good.. I'm thinking of buying that movie but I dont know where to buy it.

Verstyle
09-29-2005, 09:18 PM
ppl used to always call me tyson cause of my built as u can see in my avatar and speed and power.and im like 5'7 160 all muscle. so i decided to get into it cause of ppl tellin me to

SilentButViolent
09-29-2005, 09:31 PM
ppl used to always call me tyson cause of my built as u can see in my avatar and speed and power.and im like 5'7 160 all muscle. so i decided to get into it cause of ppl tellin me to
how'd you get built like that?
did you have a training routine or something?

Sweat
09-29-2005, 09:39 PM

well, some of it has to do with genetics. I learned that even though u work out everyday to make yourself ripped or buff, it always doesnt work because it somtimes depends on the genetics

Manny_P
09-29-2005, 09:55 PM
it's all about style fo me. I've always been very active physically. I played basketball when I was 5-6, then at 11 yrs old I was scorin 30-40+ points in mini leagues in Manila. NO JOKE. 11 yrs old scorin 30-40 points a game.

Basketball I had ta sickest shyt, style. Then even now, I still got em skills locked! Boxing is ta same to me, but its betta than balling! When I throw ma 6 punch combo on sumbody then jest step back...THEN THROW A STRAIGHT HAND, that's ta best feeling. Jest ta style that I do it. I dunno, I'm speakin fo maself is it.

And it's good fo yo health also. Damn, I really wanna fight Morales. If I given a chance, DAMN IMA TRY TO KO HIM! I believe I can hold ma shyt gainst Morales. NO BULL! 4 rounds only, Ima hold ma ground gainst Morales! LOL!

Super_Lightweight
09-30-2005, 12:41 AM
3 reasons.

1) My uncle. He is a pro ref and has a history in boxing that interested me highly. He had 350 amateur fights, losing 9.

2) Roy Jones. I grew up in Pensacola and once I saw him for the first time vs Telesco I peeked my interest.

3) I realized playin' football was going nowhere and I might as well box since in boxing there is no bench to sit on and no one to blame but yourself (which means not having to deal with whiny teammates after a loss or in practice).

Tha Greatest
09-30-2005, 12:53 AM
Boxing is my life!

Boxing has changed every aspect of my life!

I will not be complete without boxing!

Viva boxeo!

Pugnacious_Z
09-30-2005, 01:07 AM
i got interest about 3yrs ago, after seeing tyson fight and ****, i luved the way he fought, very ferocious, hyped me up

phook
09-30-2005, 03:41 AM

I feel your pain.

quite interesting to read some of the reasons people chose to box.. speaking from experience, i was once like you's.. i was motivated til fortune teller told me i'd go pro. I didnt want to go pro so i stopped. pretty lame i know but i beleived it

Pugnacious_Z
09-30-2005, 03:52 AM
hey zip, no offence but u were a loser with no friends. has boxing changed anything?

hardhitter
09-30-2005, 01:58 PM
It was a about a year ago when i was 15, i was in a bit of trouble with kids on the street, it helps to no you can defend yourself

InThisCorner
09-30-2005, 05:25 PM
First time I saw a boxing match was when I was 11 years old in Seattle (I'm from Canada) travelling with my select team from Calgary (soccer). Shane Mosley-Mosley was the fight I saw...Shane was throwing lightning-fast combo's and I was just like...WOW!

EXIGE
09-30-2005, 07:06 PM
First time I saw a boxing match was when I was 11 years old in Seattle (I'm from Canada) travelling with my select team from Calgary (soccer). Shane Mosley-Mosley was the fight I saw...Shane was throwing lightning-fast combo's and I was just like...WOW!
I find that the first fighters you watch are always the foundation of the types of fighters you like to watch. Yours Shane Mosley, now look at your avatar.

Me Naz, and i dont need to explain how much of a fan of his i am.

:)

zip
09-30-2005, 08:26 PM
hey zip, no offence but u were a loser with no friends. has boxing changed anything?

Yes. Basiclly I just met bunch of fun and cool people. It also gave me a place to go to. Ive gone through high school without really making and close friend but I know that as long as i continue to box I have some people that say hi.

Not to mention that boxing got me in shaped and boosted my self-consiosness (sorry cant spell that :P). ALways been very short and looked like a kid so it huanted me and it was something people made fun of, it really made me sad, but now i a) dont give a crap b) I know that if i really get pissed of I can floor most people easily.
Dont misunderstand, I never fight outside the ring just not me, but i know if I want/have to I can.

EXIGE
09-30-2005, 08:45 PM
Yes. Basiclly I just met bunch of fun and cool people. It also gave me a place to go to. Ive gone through high school without really making and close friend but I know that as long as i continue to box I have some people that say hi.

Not to mention that boxing got me in shaped and boosted my self-consiosness (sorry cant spell that :P). ALways been very short and looked like a kid so it huanted me and it was something people made fun of, it really made me sad, but now i a) dont give a crap b) I know that if i really get pissed of I can floor most people easily.
Dont misunderstand, I never fight outside the ring just not me, but i know if I want/have to I can.
If there is a better reason to start boxing than that i would like to hear it:
- Victim of loneliness/ mild bullying? (fair to say?)
- To gain some confidence
- Meet some new friends/ or just people you can say hi to.
- To lose the image of yourself which people branded you with before, and then to not give a **** what people think of you.

SilentButViolent
09-30-2005, 09:37 PM

good for you man...people only pick on people who seem to have no self confidence but now that your self esteem is up that huosldn't be a roblem and if they talk **** show them what the sweet science is all about ;)

Pugnacious_Z
09-30-2005, 10:59 PM
If there is a better reason to start boxing than that i would like to hear it:
- Victim of loneliness/ mild bullying? (fair to say?)
- To gain some confidence
- Meet some new friends/ or just people you can say hi to.
- To lose the image of yourself which people branded you with before, and then to not give a **** what people think of you.

hey exig3, i started boxing and i dont have any of those problems man. i wasnt bullied, i had high confidence and high self-esteem. i started boxing to learn how to fight alot better to kick ass and to make $$$ one day hopefully

rsl
10-01-2005, 12:32 AM
I used to be asked the question myself all the time, especially my grandmother(who hated the idea of me participating in a violent sport)I really don't know what attracted me to boxing, but the fighters I would always pretend to be Sugar Ray Leonard and Ali(because of my dad)the one thing I would always do was re-create that scene in Rocky when both him and Creed get knocked down at the same time and pull themselves backup. What I like about boxing is that in comes in handy if you had to get into a street scrap.

InThisCorner
10-01-2005, 01:53 AM
Yeah I feel good for you zip must be a good feelin for ya...yeah boxing is truly the sweet science and anyone that watches either a) a roy jones jr ownage or b) gatti fights or c) tyson fights then they are hooked no prob.

Pariah21388
10-01-2005, 02:11 AM

same with me man. i had alot of low self esteem and confidence, boxing gives me respect for myself and allows me to be more consicous about decsions of my life.

Tha Greatest
10-01-2005, 03:30 AM
hey exig3, i started boxing and i dont have any of those problems man. i wasnt bullied, i had high confidence and high self-esteem. i started boxing to learn how to fight alot better to kick ass and to make $$$ one day hopefully

You look like a homo.

Pugnacious_Z
10-01-2005, 04:42 AM
go fuk urself el sureno u ***get, ur a fukin persian, a disgrace to dis world, persians talks like ****, srsly, fukin gay ass accent, go fuk khumani

Tha Greatest
10-01-2005, 04:57 AM
go fuk urself el sureno u ***get, ur a fukin persian, a disgrace to dis world, persians talks like ****, srsly, fukin gay ass accent, go fuk khumani

#1. You are persian...

#2. I don't talk like a persian

#3. I dont got a accent

#4. LoL

You just pwned yourself, because the **** you just said, all goes back to you...when I saw that video of you and your *** ass friends and those 2 ugly fat girls in that backyard boxing, you looked like a little gay monkey with a FOB haircut jumping around like a little ***** in you FOB clothes.

All your friends look like ugly fat ****** persians(I am not a ugly fat *** like you guys) and your friends all suck and can't fight for ****, I would KO all of them with one hand, and you looked like a little *****.

You said persians are discgraces to human beings? Wrong, persians like you are discgraces to human beings.

Pugnacious_Z
10-01-2005, 07:48 AM
eat a dick u persian puff, im not persian ***gget, i just said dat puff. my friends arent persian aswell, most of em wud kick ur ass, srsly. ur persian, ull prob suk their dicks. talk about me infront of my face and im drop ur lightweight ass so quik, khumani wudnt know it ***get, LIGHTWEIGHT *****

ophqui
10-01-2005, 12:23 PM
^hmm, yeah well mature

i dnt box, i do thai boxing, but i still wanna answer the question. Thai boxing gives me something to aim for, and a reason not to go out getting drunk and smoking naughty things with friends, which in turn used to get me into other sorts of trouble like police and streetfights etc. Since then i've had a few fights and im getting quite ambitious about my prospects, which is enough to keep me doing it, as well as sheer enjoyment.

xzworks
10-01-2005, 01:15 PM
im really inspired by hajime no ippo anime or "Knockout" here in the philippines.i seldom shadow box imitating pacman and mayweather but not actually boxing since boxing gyms are out of my budget.it's a great exercise and motivation to move and lose some beer belly.

right hand right hand..your down corrales!!-my mayweather chant while shadow boxing

Tha Greatest
10-01-2005, 02:14 PM
Damn, Pug, why you gotz to be so racist?

Back to topic though..

Boxing is not a sport to me, boxing is a way of life for me.
It is my life, my life revolves around boxing.

Pugnacious_Z
10-02-2005, 06:08 AM
sureno, u started this **** of swearing at me for no reason, wat u expect

Manny_P
10-02-2005, 10:35 AM
man....WTF is goin on here? LOL!

Hunna
#1. You are persian...

#2. I don't talk like a persian

#3. I dont got a accent

#4. LoL

You just pwned yourself, because the **** you just said, all goes back to you...when I saw that video of you and your *** ass friends and those 2 ugly fat girls in that backyard boxing, you looked like a little gay monkey with a FOB haircut jumping around like a little ***** in you FOB clothes.

All your friends look like ugly fat ****** persians(I am not a ugly fat *** like you guys) and your friends all suck and can't fight for ****, I would KO all of them with one hand, and you looked like a little *****.

You said persians are discgraces to human beings? Wrong, persians like you are discgraces to human beings.

there were some good calls there, haha.

EXIGE
Thats cool. I am an in-between.

I havent been bullied really in my life, although i have had times in my life of low self esteem. Atm, self confidence is pretty high for me, and part of that is due to boxing.

However i stand by my word. If there is a better reason to start boxing than the reason Zip gave, then i would like to hear it....

Out Cold
10-03-2005, 03:00 AM
I really like what I'm hearing here. I got a feelin that I'ma like these boards alot.

Anyways I haven't started boxing yet but when I do I'll get back to this.

Verstyle
10-03-2005, 03:05 AM

my dad is built like mike tyson so i just caught the genetic bug. so i dont have to go anything im jus built like hat and if i do work out i gain muscles quickly its weird.

Floydmayweather
10-03-2005, 03:26 AM
I started boxing for a couple of reasons. For one i use to love and watch Iron "Mike" thats what really got me interested to begin with and later on RJJ. Also i use to get my ass beat, bad.(i had a big mouth and nothing to back it up) I was about 5'10 and small about 155-160 all legs, no upper body. Then i started lifting heavy and after my Senior i put on about 40 pounds and grew to 6'1. I moved to Milwaukee and started to box and it just came natural i won my first seven fights (four by ko), and i continue to improve.

Hunna
10-03-2005, 08:44 AM
alot of motivation is based on gaining respect

SilentButViolent
10-03-2005, 08:14 PM
my dad is built like mike tyson so i just caught the genetic bug. so i dont have to go anything im jus built like hat and if i do work out i gain muscles quickly its weird.
some people got all thu luck... i gotta bust my ass off eating right and working out,but i enjoy it.... i ain't got nuttin better to do :D

Verstyle
10-03-2005, 08:48 PM
yeah alot of people r jealous buts its not my fault thats how i was born.but there is a down side to it. if i work out i gain muscle to quick i dont like alot of muscle i try to stay away from getting it but i have to do certain things since im in boxing. and my son has the same genes,his has muscle and he's way to strong for his size and he's only 1

SilentButViolent
10-03-2005, 09:06 PM
yeah alot of people r jealous buts its not my fault thats how i was born.but there is a down side to it. if i work out i gain muscle to quick i dont like alot of muscle i try to stay away from getting it but i have to do certain things since im in boxing. and my son has the same genes,his has muscle and he's way to strong for his size and he's only 1
i aint jealous foo i wuz juss sayin some people is lucky

Tony Blitz
10-03-2005, 09:07 PM
My ancestors were never really well built people, but if I was to have a son when I was in excellent condition and buffed up would that give him those kind of genes or would that not affect anything at all?

zip
10-04-2005, 06:04 PM
it wouldnt make him a super human but he would get a couple of good genes and his sons would have even more genes and their sons would have more.

InThisCorner
10-04-2005, 08:28 PM
Hmmm that explains why I'm so amazing at everything I do...my Dad made the WHL (step below NHL), and was an all-pro at football and baseball.

Tony Blitz
10-05-2005, 12:14 AM
Hmmm that explains why I'm so amazing at everything I do...my Dad made the WHL (step below NHL), and was an all-pro at football and baseball.
Women's Hockey League? :lol1:

Verstyle
10-05-2005, 01:48 AM
i aint jealous foo i wuz juss sayin some people is lucky

didny specify u FOOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i said some people unless your nickname on here is called SOME PEOPLE!!!

leff
10-05-2005, 08:27 AM
i was 15 i needed to get in shape, didnt like my tummy, so i joined a couple off friends in kickboxing.

my trainer told i was lot better with my hands so i started boxing.

now i do both but boxing is the main thing.

i simply love it its a huge part off my life.

myke_test1
10-06-2005, 03:54 AM
well boxing is all i have in a society that will not let make it on intelligence alone......

only thing i got left last chance to be somthing you could say last moment in the fading sun....i can't say its a dream of mine but its far far more serious then that its a reality

Like i've said to many people in my family and at the gym

Boxing is all i have left once its gone......So am i

TheWave
10-07-2005, 06:58 AM
just curious, what motivates you to box?
I thought it was trading punches. And I had fast hands at the time so why not :P

But I found out it wasn't as I expected, but I got hooked after the first time :)