View Full Version : What Heavyweight would you least like to face?

kendom
06-02-2011, 06:57 PM
If you were forced in a time machine to go back in boxing history and face an unknown heavyweight champion, who would be the man you would have least liked to face? mine would have beenJoe Louis becasue of the scary speed of his punches and his technique, however Geroge Foreman and Sonny Liston would be a close second

Barn
06-02-2011, 07:24 PM
Joe Frazier.

Louis, Foreman etc. Would just punch me once and my brain would explode so their would be no problem.

People like Frazier would bang your body and make you suffer(for about 1 minute) before the inevitable outcome arrived.

Cokezaghe_Loc
06-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Roseanne Barr.

NChristo
06-02-2011, 07:28 PM
Joe Louis but not just because of his technique, speed and power, the man seemed soulless / emotionless in the ring, rarely see him change the expression on his face. Standing opposite him in the corner while him giving me the blank stare like he's looking into my soul would be more intimidating to me then Liston, Foreman and Tyson. Then there's the punishment he would dish out, ugh.

Barn
06-02-2011, 07:39 PM
Joe Louis but not just because of his technique, speed and power, the man seemed soulless / emotionless in the ring, rarely see him change the impression on his face. Standing opposite him in the corner while him giving me the blank stare like he's looking into my soul would be more intimidating to me then Liston, Foreman and Tyson. Then there's the punishment he would dish out, ugh.
Least it would be quick.

The first punch would be like 1:51
<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/K3PpR12yaRs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

IronDanHamza
06-02-2011, 08:01 PM
Sonny Liston, no question.

The man scares me through the TV screen.

nomadman
06-02-2011, 08:15 PM
Probably Liston, for the same reason mentioned above. Just a scary, scary looking guy, and the chances are that the first punch he landed would be a jab that would smash my teeth into my soft palate.

Jim Jeffries
06-02-2011, 08:24 PM
Liston, Foreman, Tyson and Lewis would all be scary, but I'd probably be taking a nice nap fairly quickly. A 66 or 67 Ali, to me would be a guy I couldn't possibly hit and would just play with (punish) me until he was ready to get me out of there.

chiguy91
06-02-2011, 08:26 PM
earnie shavers for me, i would not want to know how it feels like being hit by him. foreman or louis would be close behind

kendom
06-02-2011, 08:40 PM
Joe Frazier.

Louis, Foreman etc. Would just punch me once and my brain would explode so their would be no problem.

People like Frazier would bang your body and make you suffer(for about 1 minute) before the inevitable outcome arrived.

But Frazier takes a couple rounds to warm up if ur a powerful puncher you could knock him out before he started smoking.

nomadman
06-02-2011, 08:50 PM
Actually, I'll change my pick to John Ruiz or Chris Byrd. Ruiz because he'd smother me to death with his hairy chest, Byrd because I'd hate to be one of the guys that got KOed by him. I'd never live it down.

Mr Randy Watson
06-02-2011, 08:59 PM
george foreman .... he makes me nervous just watching him hit the bag...

Ziggy Stardust
06-02-2011, 09:05 PM
Joe Louis but not just because of his technique, speed and power, the man seemed soulless / emotionless in the ring, rarely see him change the expression on his face. Standing opposite him in the corner while him giving me the blank stare like he's looking into my soul would be more intimidating to me then Liston, Foreman and Tyson. Then there's the punishment he would dish out, ugh.

Louis' opponents found that easily as unnerving and intimidating as the opponents of Liston, Foreman, and Tyson found them. It's been said that one Louis opponent wet his pants during the introductions. King Levinsky had to be dragged to the ring by his cornerman he was so terrified of facing Louis.

Poet

nomadman
06-02-2011, 09:13 PM
Louis' opponents found that easily as unnerving and intimidating as the opponents of Liston, Foreman, and Tyson found them. It's been said that one Louis opponent wet his pants during the introductions. King Levinsky had to be dragged to the ring by his cornerman he was so terrified of facing Louis.

I can imagine that. Louis had a stone cold killer's face. Almost looked disinterested at times.

Ziggy Stardust
06-02-2011, 09:16 PM
I can imagine that. Louis had a stone cold killer's face. Almost looked disinterested at times.

Utterly expressionless like he was a machine. That's actually one of the things I liked about Lennox: He emulated Louis in that way.

Poet

RubenSonny
06-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Evander Holyfield, he exuded the type of confidence that makes you question if he was even a human.

MRBOOMER
06-03-2011, 12:29 AM
Evander Holyfield, he exuded the type of confidence that makes you question if he was even a human.

James toney al though not old school it would be like never ending night of stupidity trying to hit him before he possibly put your lights out

DarkTerror88
06-03-2011, 12:53 AM
Ali, the pre fight smack talk would make me want to die before the fight even starts. I'd probably at least give it a shot against most. But foreman tyson Liston Louis Ali and Frazier. Nuh uh.

Wild Blue Yonda
06-03-2011, 01:01 AM
But Frazier takes a couple rounds to warm up if ur a powerful puncher you could knock him out before he started smoking.

Who could? A man on the street. I hope you're kidding around.

I vote Liston, but there are several terrifying candidates. I am nowhere near big enough to be a Heavyweight myself, & that would only add to the trepidation.

Marchegiano
06-03-2011, 09:18 AM
Marciano, Jem Mace, Little Mac, and Clubber Lane.

barfly12
06-03-2011, 09:26 AM
Lyle, Liston, Dempsey, Tyson. Would not be that thrilled over early Foreman either.

Wild Blue Yonda
06-03-2011, 11:59 AM
Dempsey is a great shout. I rate him the single most outright ferocious and aggressive of them all.

bklynboy
06-03-2011, 12:09 PM
In the early 90s I used to talk about: "who would you rather face - Mike Tyson or [Old] Foreman." I would pick Old Foreman as he would hit you just hard enough to keep you down for 10 seconds. Mike would separate your head from your body if he could.

fitefanSHO
06-03-2011, 01:59 PM
Prime George Foreman :boxing:

I believe a good whoopin from Big George could leave ya w/ permanent damage.

No thanks :nono:

Wild Blue Yonda
06-03-2011, 08:16 PM
I think it was in an HBO doco Foreman said something along the lines of, "not only could I hurt you for those first three or four rounds, I could really do damage to your body physically, & your brain."

Normally, you'd consider such boasts from a fighter about almost anything they do at least part-way hyperbole. Not here, IMO.

The Surgeon
06-04-2011, 05:05 AM
I Think id literally ***** myself during the staredown if it was Liston, he looked like a Rottweiler looking at a piece of meat!

I think the speed of Tyson would be a huge fear factor for me tho, i dont fancy that one one bit!

The sheer size and strange appearence of Valuev would be terribley intimidating (if u didnt know how useless he was!)

Ali didnt look like the scariest dude in the world but his immense confidence and mind games would more than likely **** me up!

The Surgeon
06-04-2011, 05:09 AM
I think it was in an HBO doco Foreman said something along the lines of, "not only could I hurt you for those first three or four rounds, I could really do damage to your body physically, & your brain."

Normally, you'd consider such boasts from a fighter about almost anything they do at least part-way hyperbole. Not here, IMO.

Defo not just Hyperboyle in this case WBY! U could DIE in a round vs that guy! The thought of tasting that power chills me...... Urrrgh Yikes! :omfg:

nomadman
06-04-2011, 05:44 AM
I know he wasn't a champ but how would you guys feel about facing the Tua that fought Ruiz? Against some of the other fighters in that list you could maybe take a dive before anything really serious landed, but knowing that Tua was going to explode out of the blocks looking to take your head off, and most likely succeeding, is something which chills my blood.

RockyB
06-04-2011, 06:44 AM
Mike Tyson for me.. scary combination of speed and power

also, any huge heavyweight (The Klitschkos, Lewis, Foreman)

MRBOOMER
06-04-2011, 06:36 PM
Max bear that dude was just mean lol:/ he killed two people I think

NChristo
06-04-2011, 06:59 PM
Max bear that dude was just mean lol:/ he killed two people I think

Max Baer... Mean ?

He was a joker and a hell of a character who was known for his sense of humour and colourful personality.

He was responsible for the death of Frankie Campbell and most believe he's the reason Ernie Schaaf died after the Carnera fight because of the injuries he took from Baer, a big puncher yes but he was not mean.

The Surgeon
06-10-2011, 06:30 AM
Max Baer... Mean ?

He was a joker and a hell of a character who was known for his sense of humour and colourful personality.

He was responsible for the death of Frankie Campbell and most believe he's the reason Ernie Schaaf died after the Carnera fight because of the injuries he took from Baer, a big puncher yes but he was not mean.

Havent u seen The Cinderella Man!?? :boxing:

Ziggy Stardust
06-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Havent u seen The Cinderella Man!?? :boxing:

It was pretty slanderous the way that movie portrayed him.

Poet

The Surgeon
06-10-2011, 05:04 PM
It was pretty slanderous the way that movie portrayed him.

Poet

Tell me about it... :grumpy:

Still, decent movie.

Stallone60
06-12-2011, 06:25 AM
Mike Tyson 86-89 the man was a beast in the ring. He was a very dangerous man.

RurouniYume
06-13-2011, 04:36 AM
I regard Ali as the greatest of all time, but he had a lot of compassion. Joe Frazier was heartless and very scary in the ring. I didn't like his sportsmanship but he was a scary man. The scariest, strongest, and possibly fastest and meanest of all time was Tyson however, and I would feel unfortunate to be on his bad side

Barn
06-13-2011, 12:16 PM
I regard Ali as the greatest of all time, but he had a lot of compassion. Joe Frazier was heartless and very scary in the ring. I didn't like his sportsmanship but he was a scary man. The scariest, strongest, and possibly fastest and meanest of all time was Tyson however, and I would feel unfortunate to be on his bad side
**** off, ali had compassion get outta here.

BigStereotype
06-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Do the words "what's my name, Uncle Tom?" mean anything to you? Sure, Earnie deserved it but that was still ****ed up.

As far as who I don't want to face...combine bestial power with pants-****ting intimidation and you have Sonny Liston. To be honest, though, it wouldn't matter who it was. Tony the Tiger Thompson would turn my face inside out inside of one round.

The Surgeon
06-13-2011, 12:57 PM
Tony the Tiger Thompson would turn my face inside out inside of one round.

*Waits for steak to show up and confirm!*

Barn
06-13-2011, 02:20 PM
*Waits for steak to show up and confirm!*
Me UD Tony Thompson.