View Full Version : Worst story in boxing?

The Smash
06-02-2011, 05:05 AM
In terms of their up-bringing and post boxing life?

Obviously there are a heap of contenders, which is one of the things that makes the sport unique, but I've been watching a **** load of Saad-Muhammed fights and his story is terrible. Maybe I'm a touch soft, but I thought his brother leaving him on a park bench was horrible.

Who are you picking?

Barn
06-02-2011, 05:22 AM
Definitely Carlos Monzon.

Going to jail for beating your wife consistetly then throwing her off a balcony. Then while visiting someone for a weekend dieing in a car crash. (He deserved it I might add.)

chiguy91
06-02-2011, 05:47 AM
wow, there's so many, honestly......i wouldn't want to favor anyone's life story/struggle more than another but two that come to mind would be rocky lockridge and george chuvalo.
rocky lockridge lost 2 MDs to 2 ATG's in wilfredo gomez and julio chavez. he KO'ed roger mayweather in the 1st round i think. but anyways, after retiring his drug problem got out of hand and dude ended up being homeless...he was in a show called intervention.
chuvalo's story is crazy cause he lost 3 kids and a wife, a kid and his wife by suicide and the other two by overdose. there's a documentary called still standing, watch it if you have time.

Barn
06-02-2011, 05:52 AM
wow, there's so many, honestly......i wouldn't want to favor anyone's life story/struggle more than another but two that come to mind would be rocky lockridge and george chuvalo.
rocky lockridge lost 2 MDs to 2 ATG's in wilfredo gomez and julio chavez. he KO'ed roger mayweather in the 1st round i think. but anyways, after retiring his drug problem got out of hand and dude ended up being homeless...he was in a show called intervention.
chuvalo's story is crazy cause he lost 3 kids and a wife, a kid and his wife by suicide and the other two by overdose. there's a documentary called still standing, watch it if you have time.
Gotta have a huge lot of respect for Chuvalo for not cracking and going nuts.

any craic lad?
06-02-2011, 06:02 AM
The Peterson bros had it pretty bad if i remember

Wild Blue Yonda
06-02-2011, 06:23 AM
The two which always get to me are Charles and Benitez.

JAB5239
06-02-2011, 06:33 AM

The Lockridge story is sad, but its of his own making. Hopefully since that show he has pulled himself up some.

The Chuvalo story is simply heartbreaking. The man is a rock to have not only have dealt with it, but to have helped and inspired so many others.

-KULT-
06-02-2011, 06:49 AM
For post boxing life, mine has to be Billy Collins Jr. ****in Resto and Panama Lewis need to be hanged for what they did. Plus Ali do make me feel pity for him but wished he had respected Frazier. Others Gerald McClellan, Leavander Johnson and Wilfred Benítez.

LeG00N
06-02-2011, 07:02 AM
For post boxing life, mine has to be Billy Collins Jr. ****in Resto and Panama Lewis need to be hanged for what they did. Plus Ali do make me feel pity for him but wished he had respected Frazier. Others Gerald McClellan, Leavander Johnson and Wilfred Benítez.

I was about to say Billy collins....

not to mention Panama Lewis probably messed around with Pryors drink inbetween rounds causing Arguello to take a massive beating...

he became a drug addicted after that and eventually committed suicide

other stories ..

1.Edwin Valero really promising fighter with a record of 27-0 27 KO's

Killed his wife ...If I remember correctly I think he shot her while she was pregnant, he then later committed suicide while in jail although some people think he was murdered.

2. Max Kellerman's brother killed by another boxer he was living with... he beat him to death with a hammer

also when it comes to Ali a lot of people like to think the best of him because of his incredible accomplishments but the guy was far from a saint.
He used to beat his wife infront of people for wearing her dress above her knees .

talip bin osman
06-02-2011, 07:02 AM
johnny tapia watching his own mom being kidnapped and while alerting his relatives about it was told to go back to bed... his mom was beaten up and was murdered in a hospital...

luisito espinosa's earning from the rios? fight from several years ago still has not been given to him, his wife left him and now the former featherweight champ is bussing tables for a living...

-KULT-
06-02-2011, 07:04 AM
Wait plus Duk Koo Kim. His mother and the referee commited suicide after his death.

any craic lad?
06-02-2011, 07:39 AM
I was about to say Billy collins....

not to mention Panama Lewis probably messed around with Pryors drink inbetween rounds causing Arguello to take a massive beating...

he became a drug addicted after that and eventually committed suicide

other stories ..

1.Edwin Valero really promising fighter with a record of 27-0 27 KO's

Killed his wife ...If I remember correctly I think he shot her while she was pregnant, he then later committed suicide while in jail although some people think he was murdered.

2. Max Kellerman's brother killed by another boxer he was living with... he beat him to death with a hammer

also when it comes to Ali a lot of people like to think the best of him because of his incredible accomplishments but the guy was far from a saint.
He used to beat his wife infront of people for wearing her dress above her knees .

He stabbed her if i remember corretly and i dont think she was pregnant doesnt make it any less tragic.I personally dont believe he was murdered although it's possible i just think he was mentally ****ed in the head went on a bad coke binge killed his wife in a rage and when he came down realsising what he did killed himself.What happened to Kellermans brother is awful too that James Butler is an evil ****er.

any craic lad?
06-02-2011, 07:41 AM
Wait plus Duk Koo Kim. His mother and the referee commited suicide after his death.

I remember seeing the ESPN docu for that story.It was so tragic it was like a domino effect so many lives were affected because of what happened

CarlosG815
06-02-2011, 08:24 AM
Read about the life and death of Alexis Arguello. Seeing what an outstanding gentleman he always was and then knowing how he went out is heartbreaking.

fitefanSHO
06-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Can you back this up? :spank:

-KULT-
06-02-2011, 11:13 AM

search in this thread http://www.boxingscene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=378385

Barn
06-02-2011, 11:27 AM
Ali is still a cunt if he did that or not.

Nacho_Analstain
06-02-2011, 11:36 AM
Kassim Ouma was kidnapped at 6 years old and forced to fight in the resistance army in Uganda, killing people when he was just a kid, when he left the country they killed his dad, 5 of his sisters and 3 of his brothers have died too and he was shot twice in Florida.

Nacho_Analstain
06-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Also, the recent story of the guy in my avatar, 2008 olympic bronze medalist, he had four fights as a pro and looked really promising, the UK and Ireland were buzzing over him and really took to him as he seemed like a really genuine young guy, little did we all know he'd suffered from depression for a while and dispite having the world at his feet he took his own life by hanging himself, his manager who was also a close friend found him hanging and had a heart attack :(

-KULT-
06-02-2011, 11:45 AM
Kassim Ouma was kidnapped at 6 years old and forced to fight in the resistance army in Uganda, killing people when he was just a kid, when he left the country they killed his dad, 5 of his sisters and 3 of his brothers have died too and he was shot twice in Florida.

Wow really? Thats really ****'ed up if true.

The Smash
06-02-2011, 11:50 AM

Forgot about Kassim. The build-up to his Taylor fight was like an episode of the West Wing.

Nacho_Analstain
06-02-2011, 11:55 AM
Forgot about Kassim. The build-up to his Taylor fight was like an episode of the West Wing.

Yeah I really wanted him to win that fight, he seems so happy to, I'm not sure I could have survived his life.

fitefanSHO
06-02-2011, 01:34 PM
There was a really good documentary done about Kassim Ouma and his ordeal, and his boxing career. It was on HBO I think. Google it if you're interested.

Pastrano
06-02-2011, 02:28 PM
Tony Ayala jr. He was about to get a title shot and was the most promising young boxer of his time and then he gets all high and drunk and throws his career away. Comes back at 36 and wins several fights, then loses his most important fight because of eye swelling. Sucks big time!:nonono:

fitefanSHO
06-02-2011, 02:46 PM
Tony Ayala jr. He was about to get a title shot and was the most promising young boxer of his time and then he gets all high and drunk and throws his career away. Comes back at 36 and wins several fights, then loses his most important fight because of eye swelling. Sucks big time!:nonono:

The recidivist con Ayala got a little more than high & drunk.

He raped a woman.

Pastrano
06-02-2011, 03:16 PM
The recidivist con Ayala got a little more than high & drunk.

He raped a woman.

Did I say he didn't? I just said he was high and drunk, totally wasted and committed a crime in this state. A crime of passion, is it called? He got 15 years for rape, while Tyson got only 6 and served 3, is that justice? The difference was that Tyson was champion and a celebrity, Ayala wasn't.:nonono:

fitefanSHO
06-02-2011, 03:21 PM
Did I say he didn't? I just said he was high and drunk, totally wasted and committed a crime in this state. A crime of passion, is it called? He got 15 years for rape, while Tyson got only 6 and served 3, is that justice? The difference was that Tyson was champion and a celebrity, Ayala wasn't.:nonono:

The difference is that Ayala's crime was vicious, Tyson's really wasn't.

It was borderline consent in Tyson's case.

Pastrano
06-02-2011, 03:35 PM
The difference is that Ayala's crime was vicious, Tyson's really wasn't.

It was borderline consent in Tyson's case.

Baah! Don't give me that, Mike obviously did rape that girl. So Ayala forced his victim at gunpoint, Mike didn't. Thats the only difference. Mike didn't need a gun, with his brutish strength. Ayala didnt really know what he was doing and that he held a gun is a proof of that. He was just on a crazy rampage. Tyson wasnt under the influence as far as I know.

JAB5239
06-02-2011, 04:10 PM

The difference is Ayala had a history of having have twice previously assaulting women.

BritishBoxing92
06-02-2011, 04:24 PM
for me it would be

peterson brothers since they spent their childhood homeless,

jeff merit (one of don kings first ever fighters i read about in a biography about don king he was the first for him to promote was a homeless drug addict who don took in and then when he lost don left him and had nothing to do with him and he ended up homeless again),

johnny tapia his mother was killed when he was a kid i think he saw her lying dead when he was young

jake lamotta had his father force him to fight grown men for money when he was a kid

sonny liston father beat him up and was thus left to retreat to st louis

mickey ward drug addict for a brother , dysfunctional family and general problems in life

mike tyson enough said...

cant think of anymore atm

BigStereotype
06-02-2011, 04:40 PM
Having read Mi Vida Loca, I can't say anyone but Johnny Tapia. And his story has gotten even sadder since then :( I'm really worried about him. Now that he's done fighting (I hope he's not "coming back" again), he has a big hole in his life to fill. I'm not religious guy, but I'll be honest, sometimes I pray for Johnny Tapia.

SCtrojansbaby
06-02-2011, 04:41 PM
Johnny Tapia nuff said

any craic lad?
06-02-2011, 05:19 PM
I believe Roberto Garcia,the guy Margarito fought in his comeback fight,well his father one night got out of bed shot his wife with a shotgun then killed himself when Roberto was young he was in the house at the time

Barn
06-02-2011, 05:22 PM
Sam Langford ran away because of beatings at 12.

CarlosG815
06-02-2011, 06:09 PM

This is not true. If you read the case notes, which are available online, it is clear that she was not raped. It was described in detail what they did the entire night. It so goes so far as to describe how she went to the bathroom and removed a panty liner, then came into the room. Tyson held her up in a 69 position while standing. She blew him and then consented to sex.

She wanted him to take her home, and like the dog he was, he called her a ride and didn't even walk her down. She was insulted and probably thought she was going to be the next "Mrs. Tyson" and be set for life. When she realized he didn't give a **** about her, she cried rape.

There is video of jurors who say they believe they made the wrong decision after seeing certain evidence that wasn't presented to them and while many jurors thought he deserved another trial, he did not get one. Tyson did not rape that woman, and I'm not just saying that cause I'm a fan. I am a fan of OJ Simpson but that doesn't change the fact that he is a murderer.

If Tyson had raped her he'd have done a lot more time. The prosecution did not have a good enough case to justify him doing more than 3 years.

He was offered 6 months of probation with no jail time if he admitted guilty and Tyson said "No. I will not admit to a crime of this magnitude when I did not commit it."

He made THEM call him guilty instead of admitting it himself. He did 3 years for that.

CarlosG815
06-02-2011, 06:10 PM
I would say the saddest story, outside of an individual but to the sport itself, is the injustice suffered by black fighters in the early years. Imagine fighting for crap pay and never getting a deserved title shot.

Now that's sad.

Pastrano
06-02-2011, 07:51 PM
Having read Mi Vida Loca, I can't say anyone but Johnny Tapia. And his story has gotten even sadder since then :( I'm really worried about him. Now that he's done fighting (I hope he's not "coming back" again), he has a big hole in his life to fill. I'm not religious guy, but I'll be honest, sometimes I pray for Johnny Tapia.

Actually Johnny has united (can't say reunited since he didn't know he was his father before) with his biological father and now has gotten a whole new family. I guess that made his life somewhat better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NCZwqjsYA4

BigStereotype
06-02-2011, 10:07 PM
Actually Johnny has united (can't say reunited since he didn't know he was his father before) with his biological father and now has gotten a whole new family. I guess that made his life somewhat better.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NCZwqjsYA4

I'm really glad to hear it!

fitefanSHO
06-02-2011, 10:16 PM
Baah! Don't give me that, Mike obviously did rape that girl. So Ayala forced his victim at gunpoint, Mike didn't. Thats the only difference. Mike didn't need a gun, with his brutish strength. Ayala didnt really know what he was doing and that he held a gun is a proof of that. He was just on a crazy rampage. Tyson wasnt under the influence as far as I know.

It's my understanding Ayala used a knife, not a gun.

BigStereotype
06-02-2011, 10:19 PM
It's my understanding Ayala used a knife, not a gun.

Does that really change things? I mean, if he used a knife, gun, bow and arrow, cruise missile, slingshot, tire iron or Captain America's shield, he still forced a woman to have sex with him with it.

Wild Blue Yonda
06-03-2011, 12:59 AM
Who was it who was penniless, alone & blind, & when they asked him about how he felt in present state, he simply replied, "I still have my memories." It was either Greb or Langford, I'm sure. That always struck me as a very sombre comment, in a way.

Ziggy Stardust
06-03-2011, 01:12 AM
Imagine fighting for crap pay and never getting a deserved title shot.

Now that's sad.

That's true for the vast majority of fighters, though, regardless of their color.....up to this very day. Lets face it, the only fighters who really make any substancial money are the superstars. It's not like MLB or the NFL where you get paid a cool million a year to ride the pine :nonono:

Poet

Barn
06-03-2011, 05:18 AM
Who was it who was penniless, alone & blind, & when they asked him about how he felt in present state, he simply replied, "I still have my memories." It was either Greb or Langford, I'm sure. That always struck me as a very sombre comment, in a way.
That was Langford.

"Don' worry 'bout 'ol Sam, av been round the globe and had some 600 fights, and enjoyed everyone of them."

titanium
06-03-2011, 06:07 AM
I thought the story of Davey Moore was sad, rushed into a title at 13-0. Then losing it to Duran. Getting his live together working on a comeback and being crushed by his car in his own garage. He died young and he was far from being through.

fitefanSHO
06-03-2011, 10:13 AM
Does that really change things? I mean, if he used a knife, gun, bow and arrow, cruise missile, slingshot, tire iron or Captain America's shield, he still forced a woman to have sex with him with it.

I am not defending Ayala (far from it), simply clarifying a matter of fact.