View Full Version : Is Martinez's KO Of Williams The Greatest One Punch KO Of All Time?

Perfect Plex
06-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Is this the best 1 punch KO of all time?

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/sTWylfLdCcc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
0:48

project xxx1
06-01-2011, 06:24 PM
not sure but manny punch against hatton was 10/10 and so was jackson's punch against bomber graham

Perfect Plex
06-01-2011, 06:28 PM
not sure but manny punch against hatton was 10/10 and so was jackson's punch against bomber graham

Personally I do feel it was more devastating that both of those.

CarlosG815
06-01-2011, 06:38 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nHcU9i3sX-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Perfect Plex
06-01-2011, 06:40 PM
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nHcU9i3sX-M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That is brutal. But it aint Martinez's level due to the fact that Monitel GETS Up from it and carries on fighting.

Paul it out cold and it just lying there without moving for quite a bit.

IIIX JACK XIII
06-01-2011, 06:52 PM
its up there with some of the best. Hearns ko of Duran is pretty scary too though

Perfect Plex
06-01-2011, 06:55 PM
its up there with some of the best. Hearns ko of Duran is pretty scary too though

Yeah agreed, but then again Duran come around right away and was trying to get up. Williams was out completey and just lying flat out on the canvas no movement at all.

Clegg
06-01-2011, 07:04 PM
If we're talking about visually impressive and within recent years, that Arthur Abraham punch that span the other guy's head around like that girl in The Exorcist was pretty good.

If you're taking quality of opposition into account then Martinez' KO was superior though.

Anyone remember that Mickey Ward fight where he was getting absolutely dominated and looked disinterested, then suddenly dropped the guy for the count with a hook to the body? Again, it wasn't against a world-class opponent but still an impressive shot.

Tarver>Roy and Foreman>Moorer also come to mind. Not sure if they should be rated higher or not (matter of taste I suppose) but they're up there.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that Tarver knocking out Jones is the greatest one punch KO of the past 10 years or so.

NChristo
06-01-2011, 07:06 PM
Was going to say Duran - Hearns but Duran was broken before the knock out and had already been down in the 1st round, although it was the only time Duran went lights out.

Marciano - Walcott, Benitez - Hope etc were scary as well but were late in the fight, tis hard to say, depends on your criteria for the 'greatest', Robinson - Fullmer must be up there.

Perfect Plex
06-01-2011, 07:08 PM
If we're talking about visually impressive and within recent years, that Arthur Abraham punch that span the other guy's head around like that girl in The Exorcist was pretty good.

If you're taking quality of opposition into account then Martinez' KO was superior though.

Anyone remember that Mickey Ward fight where he was getting absolutely dominated and looked disinterested, then suddenly dropped the guy for the count with a hook to the body? Again, it wasn't against a world-class opponent but still an impressive shot.

Tarver>Roy and Foreman>Moorer also come to mind. Not sure if they should be rated higher or not (matter of taste I suppose) but they're up there.

Off the top of my head, I'd say that Tarver knocking out Jones is the greatest one punch KO of the past 10 years or so.

How is that more devstating than Martinez/Williams, when Roy actually GOT UP from that shot by himself? Like I said Williams is out cold and aint gettin up any time soon. There was no way Williams could of ever got up by himself.

People are saying other KO's are more devstating even do all the named one's were getting up by themselves.

Sergio-Williams>>>>>>Tarver-Roy. All day......

Perfect Plex
06-01-2011, 07:13 PM
Was going to say Duran - Hearns but Duran was broken before the knock out and had already been down in the 1st round, although it was the only time Duran went lights out.

Marciano - Walcott, Benitez - Hope etc were scary as well but were late in the fight, tis hard to say, depends on your criteria for the 'greatest', Robinson - Fullmer must be up there.

Again amazing punch from Sugar. But Gene actually gets up by himself. Were's Williams is out cold, you could count to 100 and he aint gettin up, that is the scary thing.

Clegg
06-01-2011, 07:14 PM
How is that more devstating than Martinez/Williams, when Roy actually GOT UP from that shot by himself? Like I said Williams is out cold and aint gettin up any time soon. There was no way Williams could of ever got up by himself.

People are saying other KO's are more devstating even do all the named one's were getting up by themselves.

Sergio-Williams>>>>>>Tarver-Roy. All day......

Are you actually interested in a discussion or did you just ask for opinions so that you could tell people that they're wrong and that you're right?

Perfect Plex
06-01-2011, 07:17 PM
Are you actually interested in a discussion or did you just ask for opinions so that you could tell people that they're wrong and that you're right?

But you make no sense. How can Tarver's be more devastating than Sergio's, when Roy actually go up by HIMSELF. Williams was OUT cold and people had to wake him back up.

They really aint on the same level, to say otherwise is plain stupid.

Jeff Da Maori
06-01-2011, 07:22 PM
Hatton being KO'd by Pacquaio would get my pick. Martinez KO of Williams was fvcken awesome, but most people didn't see the punch as it happened and it was only after the instant replays that we really saw how good it was. When Hatton got levelled, we saw it in real time and for me, it seemed more devastating. I thought he was dead.

New England
06-01-2011, 07:28 PM

i still cant believe montiel was able to stand up after that

New England
06-01-2011, 07:30 PM
Hatton being KO'd by Pacquaio would get my pick. Martinez KO of Williams was fvcken awesome, but most people didn't see the punch as it happened and it was only after the instant replays that we really saw how good it was. When Hatton got levelled, we saw it in real time and for me, it seemed more devastating. I thought he was dead.

i too thought he might be dead

i kept saying to myself "did pacquiao just kill ricky hatton?"

his head left a dent in the canvas

and then the cornermen manhandled him
he looked like a rag doll

NChristo
06-01-2011, 07:33 PM
Again amazing punch from Sugar. But Gene actually gets up by himself. Were's Williams is out cold, you could count to 100 and he aint gettin up, that is the scary thing.

You didn't say what is the 1 punch that knocked someone down for the longest or the most 'devastating', you asked what the 'Greatest' was, knocking out a HOF with an iron chin while behind in the fight and with a punch of the caliber that he hit him with is greater then knocking out Williams and putting him down for a while.

Again.. it depends on your criteria.

But I'll add Azumah Nelson - Pat Cowdell, Patterson - Johansson II (The twitching from Ingo was truly disturbing) and Derrick Jefferson - Maurice Harris.

All of them the victim was not getting up on their own at all.

Steak
06-01-2011, 08:13 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OhVi7cH-LaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/bmxVi3Q4Xdc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/J-EWPlSHxek" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

what Im trying to say is...

No.

IMDAZED
06-01-2011, 08:35 PM
Jackson-Graham FTW

Wild Blue Yonda
06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
It's a fine knockout, doubtless, but to put this into perspective, it isn't even the best KO of its' generation (Pacquiao-Hatton), let alone ever.

Marcov
06-01-2011, 08:55 PM
No not the greatest- I can think of 225 better, go watch Weaver-Tate(#6) for starters.

BennyST
06-01-2011, 09:15 PM
But you make no sense. How can Tarver's be more devastating than Sergio's, when Roy actually go up by HIMSELF. Williams was OUT cold and people had to wake him back up.

They really aint on the same level, to say otherwise is plain stupid.

You asked and you got opinions. However, you also have to look at it from another point of view. My pick will always go to Jackson/Graham or Duran/Hearns. I think Duran/Hearns is the single greatest punch/KO in boxing history.

It knocked out a guy, top ten ATG at that, with everything who was considered basically knock out proof. One of the great chins of all time, one of the great defenses and as tough as anyone had ever come. Hearns nearly killed him. That shot is the loudest I've ever heard (it sounded like a cannon), and when you take everything into account it's the most brutal shot.

Whether or not he got up himself is irrelevant. I doubt there is another fighter in boxing's long history that could have done that to Duran. There are lots that could have done that to Williams however in my opinion.

What about Graham/Jackson?

As for guys who get back up, that is a testament to them rather than the punch. The fact Montiel got up is about his will, heart, toughness and his knock-out factor ie. what it takes to put him out completely. He obviously is nearly impossible to put out completely. That punch was pure brain scrambler and yet he got up! That's more about Montiel than the punch he got hit with. He would have got up from Martinez's too no doubt. Some guys just can't be really knocked out properly (meaning they stay down and out) by a human punch. However, he was absolutely not fighting back in the slightest. He was ****ed! with a capital F. Had no idea what was happening at all and just stood there.

It's some fighters most basic instinct to get back up. Their body will do it even if their head, brain, mind, etc etc is completely blacked out and functioning as much as Williams was. Their body just picks them up through instinct. When those guys get put out, it's really impressive.

Nonetheless, the Williams KO is amazing and definitely up there. Ten count, single punch KO of prime P4P guy. That's impressive but it has happened as bad and worse many, many times before.

Hearns/Schuler is great too.

DarkTerror88
06-01-2011, 09:23 PM
Robinson fullmer II
Fullmer is a proven ATG. Williams is far from it.
Fullmer has a cast iron chin. Williams doesnt.
Robinson KOd him walking BACKWARDS in a fight he was losing. Martinez was already winning the fight and caught the not so iron chinned williams coming in, wide open, with a fast hard punch. I would be more shocked if it didnt KO him.

Now your going to tell me im wrong because Fullmer got up and williams was on the floor unconscious. It has more to do with Williams lack of chin and heart as opposed to the KO itself.

bojangles1987
06-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Just for the visual of the Williams falling almost exactly like a tree I'd put it up there.

Perfect Plex
06-01-2011, 10:49 PM
First I don't really take into account how great the fighter was who was getting knocked out. I look at how devastating the punch was and what was the fighter like after the punch. That what I feel really counts.

Obvioulsey I'd say it should be judged on world level and who the fighters are, but that shound't be the main thing that counts.

But I don't see how the likes of Tarver/Jones or Fullmer/Ray were better than Sergio when both got up pretty quickly and weren't even properly Knocked out.

I guess it's all opinions. But I do feel Martinez's KO is really up there as the most devastating.

Perfect Plex
06-01-2011, 10:52 PM
Robinson fullmer II
Fullmer is a proven ATG. Williams is far from it.
Fullmer has a cast iron chin. Williams doesnt.
Robinson KOd him walking BACKWARDS in a fight he was losing. Martinez was already winning the fight and caught the not so iron chinned williams coming in, wide open, with a fast hard punch. I would be more shocked if it didnt KO him.

Now your going to tell me im wrong because Fullmer got up and williams was on the floor unconscious. It has more to do with Williams lack of chin and heart as opposed to the KO itself.

Are you feel real? It had nothing to do with his heart. He was knocked out cold, and didn't even know were he was. He could have the biggest heart in the world and still wound't of got up.

How can your heart be questioned when your completey knocked out cold? And it's completey out of your hands whether you get up or not. :confused:

DarkTerror88
06-01-2011, 11:34 PM
Are you feel real? It had nothing to do with his heart. He was knocked out cold, and didn't even know were he was. He could have the biggest heart in the world and still wound't of got up.

How can your heart be questioned when your completey knocked out cold? And it's completey out of your hands whether you get up or not. :confused:

I question Williams' heart from his career as a whole. Although I do like him an I know that he is good.

I think that in the first foreman fight, Frazier got up on heart more than anything. Montiel vs Donaire, montiel got up on heart.

I think Robinson-Fullmer II is the quintessential KO. You bring up valid points and are a good poster on this board. I respect your opinion so it looks like we will have to agree to disagree.

cja07007
06-01-2011, 11:40 PM
I question Williams' heart from his career as a whole. Although I do like him an I know that he is good.

I think that in the first foreman fight, Frazier got up on heart more than anything. Montiel vs Donaire, montiel got up on heart.

I think Robinson-Fullmer II is the quintessential KO. You bring up valid points and are a good poster on this board. I respect your opinion so it looks like we will have to agree to disagree.

What caused you to question william's heart?

$Natedatpkid$
06-01-2011, 11:57 PM
I can't say it's the greatest because I haven't seen every one punch KO but it's definitely up there because it was A level competition, brutal as **** as his lights went out, and it was in the 2nd round for christ sake. Kinda hard to top.

Spartacus Sully
06-02-2011, 12:22 AM
many are greater.

They dont let boxers get up untill they have been checked over by the ring doctor

http://d.yimg.com/i/ng/sp/ap_photo/20101121/all/l4861567.jpg

here you can even see the doc running to paul while signaling to the ref keep him down while paul positions his arms in order to pick himself up.

your claim that he would have been down for mins is malarkey.

if i had been koed like that, because i throw an absudly open hook with out any guard and got countered all in the second round, i wouldn't want to move id just lay there and think about what just happened while i reflect on why i would do something like that, reflect on my legacy, reflect on my stupidity.

was he koed, yes, was it as great as Fullmer robinson? or walcott marciano? no.

Scott9945
06-02-2011, 12:35 AM
It was before my time but Marciano-Walcott stands up against any other based on impact, drama, and importance.

The Smash
06-02-2011, 12:39 AM
You asked and you got opinions. However, you also have to look at it from another point of view. My pick will always go to Jackson/Graham or Duran/Hearns. I think Duran/Hearns is the single greatest punch/KO in boxing history.

It knocked out a guy, top ten ATG at that, with everything who was considered basically knock out proof. One of the great chins of all time, one of the great defenses and as tough as anyone had ever come. Hearns nearly killed him. That shot is the loudest I've ever heard (it sounded like a cannon), and when you take everything into account it's the most brutal shot.

Whether or not he got up himself is irrelevant. I doubt there is another fighter in boxing's long history that could have done that to Duran. There are lots that could have done that to Williams however in my opinion.

What about Graham/Jackson?

As for guys who get back up, that is a testament to them rather than the punch. The fact Montiel got up is about his will, heart, toughness and his knock-out factor ie. what it takes to put him out completely. He obviously is nearly impossible to put out completely. That punch was pure brain scrambler and yet he got up! That's more about Montiel than the punch he got hit with. He would have got up from Martinez's too no doubt. Some guys just can't be really knocked out properly (meaning they stay down and out) by a human punch. However, he was absolutely not fighting back in the slightest. He was ****ed! with a capital F. Had no idea what was happening at all and just stood there.

It's some fighters most basic instinct to get back up. Their body will do it even if their head, brain, mind, etc etc is completely blacked out and functioning as much as Williams was. Their body just picks them up through instinct. When those guys get put out, it's really impressive.

Nonetheless, the Williams KO is amazing and definitely up there. Ten count, single punch KO of prime P4P guy. That's impressive but it has happened as bad and worse many, many times before.

Hearns/Schuler is great too.

"He was out before he hit the canvass" also happens to be one of boxing's great lines.

IronDanHamza
06-02-2011, 11:21 AM
No mention of Foster Vs Tiger? Suprising.

Foster utterly dwarfed Tiger but Tiger proved he was a legit LHW none the less with his wins over Torres at the weight.

He was also iron chinned, and the way Foster put his lights out with a single shot in as early as the 4th round was astonishing.

That MUST be up there. Surely?

studentofthegam
06-02-2011, 11:36 AM
I dont want to even see the five that said yes to this. Only because I listen to how people talk about Williams like he's some "chump". If most think that then what was so great about it. People still think Duran is invincible. I have to go with Hearns/Duran. It better not be any of you old heads voting yes.

Scott9945
06-02-2011, 10:32 PM
No mention of Foster Vs Tiger? Suprising.

Foster utterly dwarfed Tiger but Tiger proved he was a legit LHW none the less with his wins over Torres at the weight.

He was also iron chinned, and the way Foster put his lights out with a single shot in as early as the 4th round was astonishing.

That MUST be up there. Surely?

Since you brought up Foster, his one punch KO over Mike Quarry was absolutely chilling.