View Full Version : How Often is the Puncher's Chance True?

GrandpaBernard
06-01-2011, 09:43 AM
We often hear that the underdog has a puncher's chance when he basically has no chance. How often does the chance actually come true?

What's your ratio or percentage for the estimate of puncher's chances actually happening?

fitefanSHO
06-01-2011, 09:46 AM
It happens when it happens, or as Jim Lampley said...

"It happened! It happened!!"

http://adamcarolla.com/SHBlog/wp-content/gallery/2011-01-28-jon-weinbach-of-aol-fanhouse/08-foreman-moore.jpg

IronDanHamza
06-01-2011, 10:05 AM
If some one has brutal, crushing one punch power. They always have a punchers chance, even if they are getting beaten soundly.

If Alexis Argeullo, for example, if losing every round going into the 15th, there is still that chance if he lands that right hand on your chin you may well be going to sleep.

Doesn't happen often, though.

The Surgeon
06-01-2011, 10:22 AM
It happens when it happens, or as Jim Lampley said...

"It happened! It happened!!"

http://adamcarolla.com/SHBlog/wp-content/gallery/2011-01-28-jon-weinbach-of-aol-fanhouse/08-foreman-moore.jpg
LOL It Happened!

"You have given out too much karma in the past 24 hours..."

talip bin osman
06-01-2011, 10:26 AM
i really dont know how often it happens, but it does...:)

jackson - graham

carbajal - arce

barkley - hearns I

i haven't seen much lately though...

any craic lad?
06-01-2011, 10:32 AM

jackson - graham
carbajal - arce

barkley - hearns I

That was an unbelievable ko

New England
06-01-2011, 10:37 AM

jackson - graham

carbajal - arce

barkley - hearns I

a lot of folk, including myself, thought ortiz had a punchers chance to beat berto and little more chance in terms of outboxing him

turned out he turned the tide in the first round

salido had a punchers chance against juanma and made it count

jackson -graham is my favorite example, simply because it was a comeback in the fight
he took advantage of a real mistake (leaving your chin up that high against a puncher like jackson)
and he did it with one punch moving BACKWARDS

and of course, the british commentary

"Bang, there you go!"

Barnburner
06-01-2011, 10:39 AM
That was an unbelievable ko
falling ever futher behind and OH NOOOOOOE! THATS WHAT WEVE BEEN WORRIED ABOUT!

OH WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT!

LOOK!

JEE THAT WAS 1 HELL OV A SHOT

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OhVi7cH-LaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol1:

fitefanSHO
06-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Graham literally went down as if shot. :owned:

New England
06-01-2011, 10:51 AM
falling ever futher behind and OH NOOOOOOE! THATS WHAT WEVE BEEN WORRIED ABOUT!

OH WOULD YOU BELIEVE IT!

LOOK!

JEE THAT WAS 1 HELL OV A SHOT

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/OhVi7cH-LaQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol1:

"That's what we've been worried about!"

jackson doest even look human when he punches
everything is perfect
it's like a race horse in stride

he brought those weapons with him to the sport

he transfers his weight through the target as well as any man that's ever lived

bojangles1987
06-01-2011, 12:38 PM
Some fighters have a legit punchers chance that has to be taken into account. But many times you will hear it for a fight like Pacquiao-Cotto or Mosley-Mayweather where you are thinking ahead of time that the underdog will have to knock the other out, but it probably won't happen. Still, what if? Those are the scenarios where I think the underdog basically has no chance.

IMO, most times if you can't see a way a fighter can win by decision and that fighter isn't a monumental puncher, they have have very little chance.

New England
06-01-2011, 12:53 PM
Some fighters have a legit punchers chance that has to be taken into account. But many times you will hear it for a fight like Pacquiao-Cotto or Mosley-Mayweather where you are thinking ahead of time that the underdog will have to knock the other out, but it probably won't happen. Still, what if? Those are the scenarios where I think the underdog basically has no chance.

IMO, most times if you can't see a way a fighter can win by decision and that fighter isn't a monumental puncher, they have have very little chance.

exactly

gatti made a career on having a punchers chance

also, for the "punchers chance" to have any meaning whatsoever, the challenger must be in shape

ortiz
salido

both showed up in the best condition i've seen them mentally and physically
especially salido with his conditioning
man he looked good for a guy many were calling a glorified journeyman

fitefanSHO
06-01-2011, 12:59 PM
You might say going into the 12th against Taylor that Chavez had a puncher's chance, if little else. Without that kind of power, a late dramatic KO is far less likely. That's why I LOVE boxing, by its very nature it can all turn on a single punch.

studentofthegam
06-01-2011, 05:26 PM
When ever a fighter is over matched but has clear KO power.

BennyST
06-01-2011, 10:17 PM
In reality, it's pretty damn rare and very, very few guys have a real punchers chance, but it does happen and that's what makes boxing so amazing sometimes. There aren't very many fighters that can truly turn or win a fight with one punch alone.

DarkTerror88
06-01-2011, 10:34 PM
i think that because of how a punch effects someone is based on what angle the punch strikes, anyone with above average punching power has a punchers chance. The only way to beat a punchers chance is to have a granite chin.

Perfect examples:
Foreman-Moorer
Graziano vs most of his comp
Marciano vs Walcott
Bob Foster vs Any LHW

Boxing is a lot of geometry and the angle of a punch defines its effect

nomadman
06-02-2011, 08:40 PM
I don't think it's a thing you can put a percentage on. It's more of a question mark thrown in to fights that would otherwise be fairly cut and dry. As for how often it happens that's extirely dependent on a number of factors such as chin, heart, styles, gulf in quality between the two fighters, size difference (at heavyweight), punching power and the type of punch that generates it etc etc. For instance I rate Tua's left hook as one of the hardest heavyweight punches ever, but I wouldn't give him much if any of a puncher's chance against Wlad based simply on styles and physical factors. I would, on the other hand, give Bruno a puncher's chance against Wlad even though I think he's a lesser puncher than Tua. There just seems more likelihood of Bruno landing a hard overhand right and hurting Wlad than there is of Tua landing his left and doing the same.

Marchegiano
06-03-2011, 08:43 AM
In reality, it's pretty damn rare and very, very few guys have a real punchers chance, but it does happen and that's what makes boxing so amazing sometimes. There aren't very many fighters that can truly turn or win a fight with one punch alone.

Rocco Francis Marchegiano.....49-0...c'mon guys.....look up the champions of LPRR for ****s sake...rare my ****. He's a guy who came into damn near ever fight with only a puncher's chance, and won every ****ing time. In my head it isn't does power play...it's can the individual bring it...

If Tua wasn't Tua at all, save the left hook, he'd have a bigger chance...Tua loses 'cause he's fat and slow and he fights like he's not. Rocky fights like some trying to turn things around with one punch. Given the 43 KO's and the 25 retirements they caused I'd say chances can pretty damn good and regular.

Ziggy Stardust
06-03-2011, 09:04 AM
I don't think it's a thing you can put a percentage on. It's more of a question mark thrown in to fights that would otherwise be fairly cut and dry. As for how often it happens that's extirely dependent on a number of factors such as chin, heart, styles, gulf in quality between the two fighters, size difference (at heavyweight), punching power and the type of punch that generates it etc etc. For instance I rate Tua's left hook as one of the hardest heavyweight punches ever, but I wouldn't give him much if any of a puncher's chance against Wlad based simply on styles and physical factors. I would, on the other hand, give Bruno a puncher's chance against Wlad even though I think he's a lesser puncher than Tua. There just seems more likelihood of Bruno landing a hard overhand right and hurting Wlad than there is of Tua landing his left and doing the same.

Sam Peter bounced Wlad up and down like a basketball. An in-prime, IN SHAPE Tua is much better than Peter.....the question is: What are the odds Tua shows up in shape?

Poet

Ziggy Stardust
06-03-2011, 09:06 AM
What's your ratio or percentage for the estimate of puncher's chances actually happening?

About as often as a Hail Mary works in football.

Poet

nomadman
06-04-2011, 05:11 AM
Sam Peter bounced Wlad up and down like a basketball. An in-prime, IN SHAPE Tua is much better than Peter.....the question is: What are the odds Tua shows up in shape?

Once again I think it's all about styles and physical attributes. Peter was a crude slugger and a big rough and tumble guy who physically manhandled Klitschko in the clinch and clubbed him with wild overhand rights and rabbit punches whenever he could. Tua never fought like that to my knowledge. When fighters closed with him he'd lean in his shoulder, plod about, and wait for opportunities to land legitimate punches (usually some variant of the short left hook). Despite his power, fighters often found themselves in relatively safe territory if they kept Tua up close.

Of course a prime Tua is a better fighter that a prime Peter, and a harder puncher than pretty much anyone, but that's my point. Sometimes a harder puncher has less of a puncher's chance due to other disadvantages either in physical traits or stylistic ones. I think Tua's lack of height and relative passivity up close would have allowed Klitschko to clinch him up every time, neutralising his power.

Well, maybe not every time, but you get my point.