View Full Version : Holding in Boxing?

jeffmills
09-28-2005, 03:26 PM
I noticed that Stewaard has taught Wladimir how to hold properly, it looks like he's trying to mould him into the style of Lennox Lewis.

Yes it is boring, but it can save you from getting hit and hurt. It's not something I've ever spent much time learning in the past.

So please share all you know about holding and the moves involved.

Thanks for all replies.

leff
09-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I noticed that Stewaard has taught Wladimir how to hold properly, it looks like he's trying to mould him into the style of Lennox Lewis.

Yes it is boring, but it can save you from getting hit and hurt. It's not something I've ever spent much time learning in the past.

So please share all you know about holding and the moves involved.

Thanks for all replies.

i dont want to teach you too cheat

666boy666
09-28-2005, 03:36 PM
pretty simple really, you don't want to wrestle with him cause you'll tire yourself out as well, the point to holding is to either tie up your opponents arms by hooking his arms with yours, or to tie up one arm and pull their head down so they don't get any leverage on their punches, Ali did this alot.

As for holding their arms, the point is to hold on and lean on your opponent so they have to carry your weight, and they are off balance when you're doing it so there's extra energy lost by them trying to stay upright

Pariah21388
09-28-2005, 03:37 PM
haha i know, thats why peter lost, all klistchko did was hold

jeffmills
09-28-2005, 07:33 PM

If some minor holding against a fighter is what is needed to beat him or prevent yourself from being pummelled when you get hurt, I'm all for it.

Freddie Roach was training boht Klitschko brothers once and was teaching them how to hold properly. Vitali chimed in with that real boxers shouldn't hold. Freddie replied that if Wladimir had know how to hold, he wouldn't have been beaten by Corrie Sanders.

True champions will do anything to win, and unfortunately that involves bending the rules sometimes.

Dyl-G
09-28-2005, 07:41 PM
i hold soemtimes when i spar, its almost inevitable when your fighting really close, or your into the end o the fourth round and ur fighting a tough opponent.

leff
09-28-2005, 07:46 PM
If some minor holding against a fighter is what is needed to beat him or prevent yourself from being pummelled when you get hurt, I'm all for it.

Freddie Roach was training boht Klitschko brothers once and was teaching them how to hold properly. Vitali chimed in with that real boxers shouldn't hold. Freddie replied that if Wladimir had know how to hold, he wouldn't have been beaten by Corrie Sanders.

True champions will do anything to win, and unfortunately that involves bending the rules sometimes.

i guess you think, rabbit punching, lowblows, headbutts, holding and hitting etc is okay too.

i hate clinching, infight is SOOOOO much better

jeffmills
09-28-2005, 07:58 PM
i guess you think, rabbit punching, lowblows, headbutts, holding and hitting etc is okay too.

No I don't. But a boxing fight is no ballroom dancing contest. It's brutal and dirty. If it is a choice between fighting clean and losing or fighting a little dirty and winning, I'll choose fighting dirty and winning everytime.

666boy666
09-28-2005, 08:11 PM
I'd much rather lose than fight dirty. That being said, if the other fighter is fighting dirty, it's all fair game. I loved it when Hatton come straight up and hit Kostya in the nuts after kostya hit hatton low, friggin beautiful.

As for VK saying real boxers don't hold.................ever catch that Lewis/Klitschko fight? VK won the rounds they fought IMO, but he held a great deal, so did lewis after VK wobbled him.

Hunna
09-29-2005, 12:04 AM
this is why we can appreciate amatuers cos they barely hold, and get broken up pretty quickly when they do.

leff
09-29-2005, 08:17 AM
I'd much rather lose than fight dirty. That being said, if the other fighter is fighting dirty, it's all fair game. I loved it when Hatton come straight up and hit Kostya in the nuts after kostya hit hatton low, friggin beautiful.

As for VK saying real boxers don't hold.................ever catch that Lewis/Klitschko fight? VK won the rounds they fought IMO, but he held a great deal, so did lewis after VK wobbled him.

exactly i think winning by cheating takes away the glory, but if my opponent fights dirty ill fight dirty too.

Gemini531
10-03-2005, 02:32 PM
No I don't. But a boxing fight is no ballroom dancing contest. It's brutal and dirty. If it is a choice between fighting clean and losing or fighting a little dirty and winning, I'll choose fighting dirty and winning everytime.
Amen to that Without clinching Ali's victoryover liston would've come inthe 5th round.