View Full Version : Question about abs

zte89147
05-31-2011, 03:40 PM
Had a question concerning abs, currently I weigh about 140 lbs and am 5"8. I also have about 5 percent body fat. and was wondering what could I possible do to get abs since I have none whatsoever.

Jack3d
05-31-2011, 04:17 PM
Had a question concerning abs, currently I weigh about 140 lbs and am 5"8. I also have about 5 percent body fat. and was wondering what could I possible do to get abs since I have none whatsoever.

Are you guessing or do you know you have 5% BF? Because if you did, you'd be able to see your abs. Even if you didn't do anything to work them.

zte89147
05-31-2011, 06:29 PM
Are you guessing or do you know you have 5% BF? Because if you did, you'd be able to see your abs. Even if you didn't do anything to work them.

GOt measured back in December and I was 4.5 percent and I've lost 5 pounds since then

zte89147
05-31-2011, 06:40 PM
And still. NOthing

Pony Boy
05-31-2011, 06:41 PM
For an athlete male about your size and weight you should have about 8 to 10 percent body fat and if you're doing to ab exercises, you should be noticing your abdominal muscles. Have you tried doing ab exercises using weights or medicine ball? How much are you doing? Maybe you need to increase your reps and sets.

zte89147
05-31-2011, 06:57 PM
For an athlete male about your size and weight you should have about 8 to 10 percent body fat and if you're doing to ab exercises, you should be noticing your abdominal muscles. Have you tried doing ab exercises using weights or medicine ball? How much are you doing? Maybe you need to increase your reps and sets.

havent tried using weights or medicine ball due to a torn labrum, but ill try them out once my shoulder heals back up from surgery, thanks :)

Nacho_Analstain
05-31-2011, 07:04 PM
Genetics play a part, everyone is put together differently but it's quite unusual you can't see your abs if your stats are right.

Abs are like any other muscle though they will grow with correct nutrition and exercise, I started heavy with low reps then used light weight with high reps when they came through enough, they grow even still.

zte89147
05-31-2011, 07:21 PM
Genetics play a part, everyone is put together differently but it's quite unusual you can't see your abs if your stats are right.

Abs are like any other muscle though they will grow with correct nutrition and exercise, I started heavy with low reps then used light weight with high reps when they came through enough, they grow even still.

THanks bro :)

F l i c k e r
05-31-2011, 11:42 PM
No. It's called hypertrophy.

If you want your abs to look like the models, boxers, 300 spartans or what have you. You have to increase the mass of your abdominal muscles.

So.... increase your protein intake, get to cranking out those sit ups, planks, knee raises etc etc etc. Don't forget to rest, 1 day on, next day rest, repeat. That way your muscles can break down, rebuild bigger, and so on and so forth.

That's what you got to do. The shape of your abs is a different story. That is the genetics part. Your just stuck with whatever shape you got.

Note: Perfect form >>>> 1k reps.

zte89147
06-01-2011, 12:27 AM

If you want your abs to look like the models, boxers, 300 spartans or what have you. You have to increase the mass of your abdominal muscles.

So.... increase your protein intake, get to cranking out those sit ups, planks, knee raises etc etc etc. Don't forget to rest, 1 day on, next day rest, repeat. That way your muscles can break down, rebuild bigger, and so on and so forth.

That's what you got to do. The shape of your abs is a different story. That is the genetics part. Your just stuck with whatever shape you got.

Wow dude thanks a lot exactly the kinda stuff i was looking for bro,
thanks alot dude :)

Spartacus Sully
06-01-2011, 05:41 AM
Posture is very important.

try doing harder situps.

i like to lay flat on my back with my hands stretched out above my head then situp and touch my toes, ill also lay flat on my back with my hands infront of me and as i sit up ill raise my hands so they're straight above my head. (While i do both of these i do my best to keep my back straight and watch my posture)

if your lacking lower abs try doing your lower ab exercises first and then do the rest of your ab exercises like ill do leg raises then these exercises where i bend my legs and bring my knees to my chest then stick my legs out straight with out touching the ground then bend my legs and bring my knees back to my chest as my first 2 sets of exercises when i do any ab work. i can maintain the best form when i do them first and the rectus abdomonis (the 6 pack muscle) is one muscle so when i do the rest of my ab work i still feel it in my lower abs.

Nacho_Analstain
06-01-2011, 08:34 AM

Good post, don't want to crush anybodies dreams but I know a couple of guys who really can't develop abs, years of training and strict dieting down to unhealthy body fat levels and nothing, just flat! unlucky ...

redizdead
06-01-2011, 11:40 AM
are you trying to get abs that ladies can admire, or do you have problems with bodyshots hurting you too much?

zte89147
06-01-2011, 12:35 PM
Posture is very important.

try doing harder situps.

i like to lay flat on my back with my hands stretched out above my head then situp and touch my toes, ill also lay flat on my back with my hands infront of me and as i sit up ill raise my hands so they're straight above my head. (While i do both of these i do my best to keep my back straight and watch my posture)

if your lacking lower abs try doing your lower ab exercises first and then do the rest of your ab exercises like ill do leg raises then these exercises where i bend my legs and bring my knees to my chest then stick my legs out straight with out touching the ground then bend my legs and bring my knees back to my chest as my first 2 sets of exercises when i do any ab work. i can maintain the best form when i do them first and the rectus abdomonis (the 6 pack muscle) is one muscle so when i do the rest of my ab work i still feel it in my lower abs.

thanks a lot :)

killsomething
06-02-2011, 10:04 PM
If you can't see your abs it's safe to say you're over %10. Pretty much all bodyfat measurements are wrong, it's a matter of how close they are. They probably weren't close in your case.

Once you can see your abs, hypertrophy can make em look better and pop out more. Or you can build them now and they'll start to show through.