View Full Version : Alexis Arguello vs Floyd Mayweather Jr.

young_robbed
05-28-2011, 07:50 PM
I'm gonna say that Floyd Mayweather outboxes and outfoxes Arguello to a decision.
Obviously I'm not a ***** (this kind of thing has to be said because people like to discredit floyd mayweather)

but I think Mayweather will be too good for Arguello, even if Arguello has all the power in the world, and is just a very good fighter.

It'll be a good fight for sure

Your thoughts?

talip bin osman
05-28-2011, 08:08 PM
I'm gonna say that Floyd Mayweather outboxes and outfoxes Arguello to a decision.
Obviously I'm not a ***** (this kind of thing has to be said because people like to discredit floyd mayweather)

but I think Mayweather will be too good for Arguello, even if Arguello has all the power in the world, and is just a very good fighter.

It'll be a good fight for sure

Your thoughts?

"PBF too good for arguello" is quite an overstatement...
PBF definitely has the style to beat the explosive thin man however... the old boxing adage that style makes fights have never been more true with regards to this fantasy fight...

IronDanHamza
05-28-2011, 11:15 PM
Arguello can end a fight with a single right hand.

But, I feel it's a 50/50 fight.

However, I would lean on Mayweather to get the descision.

Bushbaby
05-28-2011, 11:26 PM
At what weight??

young_robbed
05-28-2011, 11:29 PM
"PBF too good for arguello" is quite an overstatement..

Yeah wrong wording. I meant Floyd's defense and versatility would be too much for Arguello.

But it all depends on how Arguello lands on Floyd. because if he lands like Mosley and Judah did then he'll have a huge chance to stop him.

young_robbed
05-28-2011, 11:31 PM
At what weight??

Super featherweight.

New England
05-29-2011, 12:26 AM
Super featherweight.

130 i'm taking arguello

140 i'm taking floyd

i'd also say that a good deal would depend on whether or not floyd's style would score with arguello era judging.

arguello wasn't the worlds most active fighter, but he's certainly more offensive than floyd mayweather

F l i c k e r
05-29-2011, 12:42 AM
Floyd-Corrales all over again.

studentofthegam
05-29-2011, 12:54 AM
Floyd-Corrales all over again.Thats about what I see. A little better fight because Arguello seemed smarter.

Steak
05-29-2011, 01:32 AM
I dont know if you would consider Arguello as top 30, but if you do, I think Mayweather would beat him.

Arguello was a fantastic fighter, offensively one of the best ever, but Mayweather was flat out a terrible style matchup for him, based on Arguello's fights aganst Violmar Fernandez and Ernesto Marcel, who used a lot of defense and potshotting to annoy Arguello. Mayweather has those tools.

Arguello was also rangy and thin, and Mayweather in the past has done very well against those types of opponents. ie Corrales and Genaro Hernandez. no, Arguello is not a Corrales or Hernandez, but I have no doubt that Mayweather would be able to control distance well and decision Arguello in a 117-111 ish type of fight.

clear, but competitive, and Floyd would have to be careful all night.

tyger
05-29-2011, 03:56 AM
Arguello was in a completely different class as Corrales(Mayweather's best win at 130-135). Arguello punched harder, had much better skills and had a better chin. I laugh as this section is overrun with nsb'ers.

Arguello was in a different class. Mayweather was, but only against who he chose to fight.

F l i c k e r
05-29-2011, 04:04 AM
Arguello was in a completely different class as Corrales(Mayweather's best win at 130-135). Arguello punched harder, had much better skills and had a better chin. I laugh as this section is overrun with nsb'ers.

Arguello was in a different class. Mayweather was, but only against who he chose to fight.

I think you need a reminder. And Floyd didn't cherry pick at 130. He faught whomever he could and called out everyone under the sun.

clear, but competitive, and Floyd would have to be careful all night.

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MHmSOtS7rWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not pretty boy floyd. 130 Floyd is a totally different animal. it wouldn't even be close. Arguello would 9/10 times get tko'd. Too fast, too powerful, too smart, too good.

tyger
05-29-2011, 04:30 AM
I think you need a reminder. And Floyd didn't cherry pick at 130. He faught whomever he could and called out everyone under the sun.

Ha Ha, you should have been there. HBO wanted Mayweather to fight the WBA champion Joel Casamayor and Floyd refused.

Do you think Carlos Gerena, Angel Manfredy and Justin Juuko are the type of legit competition that prove he could beat a man that beat Alfredo Escalera, Bobby Chacon, Rafael Limon, Rolando Navarette, Cornelius Boza Edwards and more.

JAB5239
05-29-2011, 05:06 AM

Nothing close to that. Arguello was 10x the fighter Corrales was. That said, I use to favor Alexis and still rate him the best at 130, but I think Floyds style gives him fits and now pick Floyd by decision. Ugh, its hard for me to say that!!

The Surgeon
05-29-2011, 05:12 AM
Because Floyd is such a twat and has so many dumb fanboys i automatically want to go with the great Arguello but the truth is Floyd is an incredible fighter and imho outboxes Alexis to a clear UD

JAB5239
05-29-2011, 05:21 AM
Because Floyd is such a twat and has so many dumb fanboys i automatically want to go with the great Arguello but the truth is Floyd is an incredible fighter and imho outboxes Alexis to a clear UD

Sucks how that happens. I always try to be objective but sometime find myself fighting fire with fire out of emotion. I can't stand Floyd, Wlad, and to a lesser degree Dempsey because of idolators with no objectivity. All have flaws and things that can be picked apart, but when you look at it objectively none are as great as their worshipers think or as bad as many of us have argued out of passion. :nonono:

The Surgeon
05-29-2011, 07:00 AM
Sucks how that happens. I always try to be objective but sometime find myself fighting fire with fire out of emotion. I can't stand Floyd, Wlad, and to a lesser degree Dempsey because of idolators with no objectivity. All have flaws and things that can be picked apart, but when you look at it objectively none are as great as their worshipers think or as bad as many of us have argued out of passion. :nonono:

Totally, Manny Pac is another for me, he is super exciting and seems a good guy plus his accomplishments speak for themselves but because of his idiotic fanboy supporters ive been turned off him and feel he is over rated

studentofthegam
05-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Ha Ha, you should have been there. HBO wanted Mayweather to fight the WBA champion Joel Casamayor and Floyd refused.

Do you think Carlos Gerena, Angel Manfredy and Justin Juuko are the type of legit competition that prove he could beat a man that beat Alfredo Escalera, Bobby Chacon, Rafael Limon, Rolando Navarette, Cornelius Boza Edwards and more.Haters always down grade in hindsight. Corrales was the most dangerous guy at the time. Floyd had disputes with Casamyor over money. In your heart you know he beats Casa M-Sat and twice on Sunday.

Sucks how that happens. I always try to be objective but sometime find myself fighting fire with fire out of emotion. I can't stand Floyd, Wlad, and to a lesser degree Dempsey because of idolators with no objectivity. All have flaws and things that can be picked apart, but when you look at it objectively none are as great as their worshipers think or as bad as many of us have argued out of passion. :nonono:Thats big of you Jab. You picked a lawyers way to say "Im a hater".LOL.

lightsout_finit
05-29-2011, 02:14 PM
Mayweather was a terrible lightweight.
He was amazing at superfeather and he was very good at light welter but for some reason he sucked at lightweight.

15 rounds, smaller gloves like the old days...........
I gotta say Arguello would brutally ko floyd at lightweight.
above and below in weight its a good fight.

Steak
05-29-2011, 05:15 PM

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/MHmSOtS7rWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Not pretty boy floyd. 130 Floyd is a totally different animal. it wouldn't even be close. Arguello would 9/10 times get tko'd. Too fast, too powerful, too smart, too good.
lol at Arguello getting TKOed. come on. Even Corrales lasted to the tenth AND was still good to go despite getting dropped so many times. Arguello was not only much better than Corrales in general, but Corrales always had a bad chin. a quickly fading Arguello still ate ridiculous amounts of bombs from Pryor and lasted till the 14th. and lets not forget Corrales had been going through court problems and knew he had to go to jail after the fight.

I already said that Mayweather would win, but give me a ****ing break. much lesser fighters than Arguello went the distance with Mayweather at 130.

joseph5620
05-29-2011, 06:24 PM

Mayweather is in a completely different class from Vilomar Fernadez who beat Arguello. You can't laugh about that. It's a step up in class for both at that weight. It's not a one sided issue.

young_robbed
05-29-2011, 06:26 PM

I think it's a different style thing for Arguello to handle, even if hes in a different class then Corrales.

jrosales13
05-29-2011, 07:28 PM
P4P Alexis Arguello is much greater all time than Floyd and is not even close.

At 130 Arguello is much greater than Floyd.

And, Alexis Arguello would very easily be the best fighter that Floyd has ever stepped in the ring with and that's not even debatable.

Saying all that, styles make fights. And, Floyd Mayweather style will be nightmare for Arguello. I would favor Floyd over Arguello heavily. Now Alexis did have that eraser. Where one right hand could end the fight. But, I will pick Floyd to win.

New England
05-29-2011, 08:27 PM
P4P Alexis Arguello is much greater all time than Floyd and is not even close.

At 130 Arguello is much greater than Floyd.

And, Alexis Arguello would very easily be the best fighter that Floyd has ever stepped in the ring with and that's not even debatable.

Saying all that, styles make fights. And, Floyd Mayweather style will be nightmare for Arguello. I would favor Floyd over Arguello heavily. Now Alexis did have that eraser. Where one right hand could end the fight. But, I will pick Floyd to win.

as odd as this may sound, i think i'm agreement that the clash of styles and the sort of fight that each would try and put out would favor floyd
but at 130 i think arguello still wins

130 lb floyd wasn't green the way some of the young fighters with so few fights might be coming up these days, given the fighting tradition he was raised under and the professional style he was taught from the start

he wasn't, however, in my opinion, at a level physically or developmentally in his career where he would be able to be consistent and win the majority of rounds

F l i c k e r
05-31-2011, 11:24 PM
lol at Arguello getting TKOed. come on. Even Corrales lasted to the tenth AND was still good to go despite getting dropped so many times. Arguello was not only much better than Corrales in general, but Corrales always had a bad chin. a quickly fading Arguello still ate ridiculous amounts of bombs from Pryor and lasted till the 14th. and lets not forget Corrales had been going through court problems and knew he had to go to jail after the fight.

I already said that Mayweather would win, but give me a ****ing break. much lesser fighters than Arguello went the distance with Mayweather at 130.

TKO doesn't mean knocked unconcious. It can be a corner stoppage or the ref deciding that he is taking too much damage and isn't defending himself intelligently.

Which I think would happen. He would get to a point where he becomes a punching bag and wouldn't touch Floyd at all. Think Mosley-Marg. That fight Marg wasn't unconcious but he obviously wasn't defending himself intelligently. Trying to wing punches and getting his head tossed back and forth.

Which may warrant a TKO by the ref. Either way, Floyd would win and it wouldn't even be close. Wide UD or TKO. I respect Arguello but Floyd would be a nightmare for anyone at Super Feather.

goblin213
06-01-2011, 12:19 AM
It'll be like Arguello-Fernandez but even worse for Arguello.

BennyST
06-01-2011, 09:50 PM

Don't be absurd. It would be nothing like that fight, however I do think Floyd would win. Arguello's losses in his prime were to guys very similar in style to Floyd, most notably against Ernesto Marcel who fought very similar to Floyd. Quick, sneaky lead rights, great defense, fast as lightning and smart. He pasted Arguello over and over with those lead rights but Arguello still had his moments.

Floyd close but clear UD. No knock downs and no one really hurt. Arguello is hardly comparable to a lackluster, frustrated Corrales looking for one punch. Arguello had much, much, much greater mental strength and smarts than Corrales.

BennyST
06-01-2011, 09:53 PM
TKO doesn't mean knocked unconcious. It can be a corner stoppage or the ref deciding that he is taking too much damage and isn't defending himself intelligently.

Which I think would happen. He would get to a point where he becomes a punching bag and wouldn't touch Floyd at all. Think Mosley-Marg. That fight Marg wasn't unconcious but he obviously wasn't defending himself intelligently. Trying to wing punches and getting his head tossed back and forth.

Which may warrant a TKO by the ref. Either way, Floyd would win and it wouldn't even be close. Wide UD or TKO. I respect Arguello but Floyd would be a nightmare for anyone at Super Feather.

When was Arguello ever a punching bag for anyone at 130? He fought guys very similar in style, temperament and power to Floyd and was never in trouble or close to being hit too much to consider stopping it. He was out-boxed but it's hardly going to be a Mosley/Margarito like fight. What do you think Arguello does? Walks in with his hands down and chin out?

F l i c k e r
06-02-2011, 01:03 AM
When was Arguello ever a punching bag for anyone at 130? He fought guys very similar in style, temperament and power to Floyd and was never in trouble or close to being hit too much to consider stopping it. He was out-boxed but it's hardly going to be a Mosley/Margarito like fight. What do you think Arguello does? Walks in with his hands down and chin out?

lol, i wouldn't go that far but he did have a similar style to Corrales. There is a reason people said Corrales was the next Arguello.

And the same could be said for Corrales before Floyd decimated him. 33-0 and an explosive knockout artist. Then came Floyd who knocked his shyt around like pro vs joe.

Steak
06-02-2011, 10:44 AM
lol, i wouldn't go that far but he did have a similar style to Corrales. There is a reason people said Corrales was the next Arguello.

And the same could be said for Corrales before Floyd decimated him. 33-0 and an explosive knockout artist. Then came Floyd who knocked his shyt around like pro vs joe.

the difference being that people will always overhype the 'next big thing', and Corrales would go on to get thrown around by opponents later on in his career, whilst even at his worst Arguello was still going multiple rounds with a punching machine at 140lbs.

certain 'people' also said that Lacy was the next Tyson. not only was that obviously not true from the start, but Lacy and Tyson didnt even fight alike...

IronDanHamza
06-02-2011, 10:46 AM

He didn't at all to be honest.

And who the hell said that?

RubenSonny
06-02-2011, 10:50 AM
He didn't at all to be honest.

And who the hell said that?

I never heard that one, but when Zab Judah was coming up 'they' were calling him Sweetpea with power :rofl:

IronDanHamza
06-02-2011, 10:53 AM
I never heard that one, but when Zab Judah was coming up 'they' were calling him Sweetpea with power :rofl:

That's the great "Al Bernstein Wisdom" for you.

:lol1:

studentofthegam
06-02-2011, 11:26 AM
Its almost unanimous that Floyd beats Arguello. Now explain to me why Arguelllo is held in such high regards? Nobody picks Floyd over any other greats for the most part. Yall just like hatin and thats it. Arguello is the least talented and was just a nice guy. Tell the damn truth. "He was basic so Floyd beats him". Right?

Steak
06-02-2011, 11:34 AM
Its almost unanimous that Floyd beats Arguello. Now explain to me why Arguelllo is held in such high regards? Nobody picks Floyd over any other greats for the most part. Yall just like hatin and thats it. Arguello is the least talented and was just a nice guy. Tell the damn truth. "He was basic so Floyd beats him". Right?
styles make fights, and in the past Arguello has trouble against boxer's that could potshot him an play defense. ie Marcel and Fernandez.

Arguello is held in high regards because he crushed a ridiculous amount of high level competition, including Olivares, Escalarax2, Limon, Chacon, Edwards, Watt, and Mancini, and was an offensive machine.

no one is unbeatable, even if youre an ATG. that includes Floyd.

IronDanHamza
06-02-2011, 11:43 AM

Because Arguello has an excellent resume?

Arguello was pretty damn talented, immensely skilled fighter.

No one in here is calling Arguello a basic fighter, he wasn't.

Explain to me how people are 'hating' Mayweather when they are saying he would beat argubally the greatest Super Featherweight in the history of the sport.

young_robbed
06-02-2011, 03:07 PM

People are picking Floyd because he was technically superior.

I see him countering Arguello and being too versatile for Arguello to land. At least land consistently. He might land a few here and there but not enough to win imo.

New England
06-02-2011, 04:16 PM

for the record i stand proud as one of the men who thinks arguello would outpoint floyd at 130, especially with judging and a referee from arguello's era

at a higher weight floyd probably wins and makes it very clear
at 147 (dare i say this about floyd) he might even knock him out

floyd is naturally much larger than arguello
he began his career as a BW and completely topped out at 140 lbs
he was a FW world champion for many years
and likewise at 130

floyd's an honest to goodness WW and has been throughout a good portion of his physical prime
he's strong and durable enough to make a run at 154 if the money is there.

in fact, i'd favor him over everybody in the world at 154 after one tune up
arugello's a greater fighter than alfredo angulo could ever be in his dreams, but angulo would put his lights out and i'd bet my house on it

whereas floyd walks angulo around like a novice and easily smacks him in the face cleanly and often enough, to win that fight twice over

so while one might think that floyd would win H2H, he can also believe arguello to be the greater fighter historically

and i hope you don't mind the inquisition
but have you ever even seen arguello fight?

Ziggy Stardust
06-02-2011, 05:09 PM
for the record i stand proud as one of the men who thinks arguello would outpoint floyd at 130, especially with judging and a referee from arguello's era

at a higher weight floyd probably wins and makes it very clear
at 147 (dare i say this about floyd) he might even knock him out

floyd is naturally much larger than arguello
he began his career as a BW and completely topped out at 140 lbs
he was a FW world champion for many years
and likewise at 130

floyd's an honest to goodness WW and has been throughout a good portion of his physical prime
he's strong and durable enough to make a run at 154 if the money is there.

in fact, i'd favor him over everybody in the world at 154 after one tune up
arugello's a greater fighter than alfredo angulo could ever be in his dreams, but angulo would put his lights out and i'd bet my house on it

whereas floyd walks angulo around like a novice and easily smacks him in the face cleanly and often enough, to win that fight twice over

so while one might think that floyd would win H2H, he can also believe arguello to be the greater fighter historically

and i hope you don't mind the inquisition
but have you ever even seen arguello fight?

Yeah, Arguello was pretty much at the tail end of his career at Junior Welter and while he was good enough to give Pryor a hell of a fight at that weight I wouldn't say he was fighting at an ATG level there. It was just too much of a jump in weight from his natural best.

Poet

Mr Randy Watson
06-02-2011, 08:08 PM
i dunno argeullo was pretty tall...FMJ could outbox him but it could play out similar to the de la hoya fight... he landed A LOT on floyd.. i think arguello puts him away if he lands in similar fashion.