View Full Version : Do you agree that Aaron Pryor would have defeated Maaywether at 140lb?

kendom
05-28-2011, 12:45 PM
I think that Aaron Pryor would have been too much for Mayweather, he had a swarming pressuring style that would have greatly troubled Mayweather, his agression would have been effectual unlike Ricky Hattons.

project xxx1
05-28-2011, 12:53 PM
not sure........50/50 for me but if i had to pick one,id go with floyd because of the way he counters,could of gone either way if they fought

studentofthegam
05-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Hard fight for Floyd. I favor Floyd by decision because he always does well with agressive punchers. Pryor left a lot of openings when he was in bull mode. Considering I think this was really Floyd's strongest weight cant bet against him.

kendom
05-28-2011, 01:00 PM
I think that someone like Castillo almost defeated Mayweather and Pryor was more effective than Castillo with more power, I think that Pryor would outlast and force Mayweather to brawl with him, which would be VERY BAD for Mayweather, I just dont see how Mayweather can win here

studentofthegam
05-28-2011, 01:10 PM
I think that someone like Castillo almost defeated Mayweather and Pryor was more effective than Castillo with more power, I think that Pryor would outlast and force Mayweather to brawl with him, which would be VERY BAD for Mayweather, I just dont see how Mayweather can win hereFloyd would get hit no doubt. I just think he can settle in and catch Pryor because he telegraphs his punches a little.

kendom
05-28-2011, 01:14 PM
Floyd would get hit no doubt. I just think he can settle in and catch Pryor because he telegraphs his punches a little.

I know but Pryors got a good chin considering he was able to take Arguellos punches whos one of the p4p greatest punchers and hes also very fast, i jsut think that hed overwhelm Mayweather

IronDanHamza
05-28-2011, 01:16 PM
I'd lean on Mayweather UD but then again he didn't do much at 140.

IronDanHamza
05-28-2011, 01:17 PM
I know but Pryors got a good chin considering he was able to take Arguellos punches whos one of the p4p greatest punchers and hes also very fast, i jsut think that hed overwhelm Mayweather

Remember Arguello was out of his depth at 140, though. Although he did hang with him in the first fight.

Arguello probably punches harder than Mayweather at 140 mind you.

kendom
05-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Pryors the mcuh more proven fighter at 140lb i would say Pryor by UD

kendom
05-28-2011, 01:24 PM
Floyd would get hit no doubt. I just think he can settle in and catch Pryor because he telegraphs his punches a little.

I'd lean on Mayweather UD but then again he didn't do much at 140.

Remember Arguello was out of his depth at 140, though. Although he did hang with him in the first fight.

Arguello probably punches harder than Mayweather at 140 mind you.

If he could take Arguellos punches then he would walk through Mayweathers, Stylistically hes one of the worst match ups for Mayweather i can think of

IronDanHamza
05-28-2011, 01:37 PM
If he could take Arguellos punches then he would walk through Mayweathers, Stylistically hes one of the worst match ups for Mayweather i can think of

That's a good point, then again would Pryor like Mayweather's style? I'm not so sure.

kendom
05-28-2011, 01:42 PM
That's a good point, then again would Pryor like Mayweather's style? I'm not so sure.

Pryor would like it very much, Mayweather's a counter pucher and counter punchers dont fare too well with Sawrmers because they force them to get off their shots before they have a chance to get set.

IronDanHamza
05-28-2011, 01:48 PM
Pryor would like it very much, Mayweather's a counter pucher and counter punchers dont fare too well with Sawrmers because they force them to get off their shots before they have a chance to get set.

That's not always the case, though.

I could argue counterpunchers like agressive fighters because they present openings. Not always the case.

I'm not sure Pryor would like a counter puncher who could time him like Mayweather and not engange.

I think it will be a close fight, but clear fight, Mayweather UD. JMO.

studentofthegam
05-28-2011, 02:00 PM
If he could take Arguellos punches then he would walk through Mayweathers, Stylistically hes one of the worst match ups for Mayweather i can think ofI have heard that about a million times about a wide array of fighters. There has got to be some good fighters that arent a bad match up for Floyd. Floyd is a lot harder to hit than Arguello too. Knocking guys out at a 60 percent clip seems like decent power to me.

kendom
05-28-2011, 02:14 PM
That's not always the case, though.

I could argue counterpunchers like agressive fighters because they present openings. Not always the case.

I'm not sure Pryor would like a counter puncher who could time him like Mayweather and not engange.

I think it will be a close fight, but clear fight, Mayweather UD. JMO.

I dont think that Mayweather would be able to resist getting tangled. Pryor would come in and get inside Mayweather and start throwing the multitudes of punches to the body and the head im kind of envisioning a Ali Frazie I issue here, im not sure Mayweather would be able to tiime someone like Pryor who is speedy and be able to slip the jab and pressure him

kendom
05-28-2011, 02:19 PM
I have heard that about a million times about a wide array of fighters. There has got to be some good fighters that arent a bad match up for Floyd. Floyd is a lot harder to hit than Arguello too. Knocking guys out at a 60 percent clip seems like decent power to me.

There are good fighters that wouldnt be a bad match up however Pryor isnt one of them, and he might have decent power but not as much as Arguello, I dont really think ryor has mcuh to fear from Mayweather power wise.

studentofthegam
05-28-2011, 02:24 PM
There are good fighters that wouldnt be a bad match up however Pryor isnt one of them, and he might have decent power but not as much as Arguello, I dont really think ryor has mcuh to fear from Mayweather power wise.You're right. Pryor could take some hard licks. Floyd doesnt have devistating power. But if he goes in with no respect for it then its trouble. I just dont think its a good idea to go at Mayweather 100mph and Pryor preffered to only fight in 5th gear.

SCtrojansbaby
05-28-2011, 02:28 PM
I think that someone like Castillo almost defeated Mayweather and Pryor was more effective than Castillo with more power, I think that Pryor would outlast and force Mayweather to brawl with him, which would be VERY BAD for Mayweather, I just dont see how Mayweather can win here

Castillo and Pryor are nothing a like. Pryor stayed in the pocket, Castillo was an inside fighter

bojangles1987
05-28-2011, 02:55 PM
While he didn't have a large body of work there Mayweather at 140 was still a motivated beast, with the hunger he lacked soon afterwards.

I'm sure it's a very good fight, but I'll take Mayweather by decision.

kendom
05-28-2011, 05:26 PM
Castillo and Pryor are nothing a like. Pryor stayed in the pocket, Castillo was an inside fighter

Pryor was a high pressure swarmer who threw punches from every concievable angle how could he not be good on the inside? I daresay he would be better than Castillo on the inside

kendom
05-28-2011, 05:56 PM
I just feel that when fighting someone with the style of Pryor you need strength and power to keep him off you and Mayweather has neither of those things, he doesnt have the offense to hurt Pryor, Pryor would chase him relentlessly and swarm him, cutting the ring off on him not giving him the space to box and manouver and dominating the fight on route to a nice Unanimous decision

MANIAC310
05-28-2011, 06:05 PM
Mayweather via SD

New England
05-28-2011, 07:45 PM
at 135 or 140, yes, i think pryor beats mayweather on pts
at 147, no, probably not
mayweather probably beats him by a wide enough margin to make it clear

New England
05-28-2011, 07:47 PM
I just feel that when fighting someone with the style of Pryor you need strength and power to keep him off you and Mayweather has neither of those things, he doesnt have the offense to hurt Pryor, Pryor would chase him relentlessly and swarm him, cutting the ring off on him not giving him the space to box and manouver and dominating the fight on route to a nice Unanimous decision

he'd be larger and stronger than anybody pryor had fought
especially at 147.

floyd is a true WW, he's just not a huge framed guy or big puncher

Terry A
05-28-2011, 08:10 PM
at 135 or 140, yes, i think pryor beats mayweather on pts
at 147, no, probably not
mayweather probably beats him by a wide enough margin to make it clear

I'm gonna "Plus 1" on New England's post. I also think that at 147, a difference will start to show. Below that, I'll take Pryor.

Steak
05-29-2011, 01:37 AM
Floyd by decision, doesnt matter the weight. Pryor was too wild and left himself wide open for straight counters. I can see Floyd being upset by Pryor's tenacity, but feel that he could slow Pryor down with potshot right hands and jabs to the belly...and clinches.

whoever said that Pryor was good on the inside was dead wrong. He fought at midrange, and wasnt a true infighter at all.

kendom
05-29-2011, 09:10 AM
Floyd by decision, doesnt matter the weight. Pryor was too wild and left himself wide open for straight counters. I can see Floyd being upset by Pryor's tenacity, but feel that he could slow Pryor down with potshot right hands and jabs to the belly...and clinches.

whoever said that Pryor was good on the inside was dead wrong. He fought at midrange, and wasnt a true infighter at all.

Arguello culdnt slow Pryor down so how could Mayweather, yes he could be a bit wild but how is Mayweather going to outbox someone who doesnt give him the space to?

studentofthegam
05-29-2011, 10:05 AM
Arguello culdnt slow Pryor down so how could Mayweather, yes he could be a bit wild but how is Mayweather going to outbox someone who doesnt give him the space to?Great feet. Augustus and Hatton didnt give him a lot of space either.

studentofthegam
05-29-2011, 10:08 AM
Pryor was a high pressure swarmer who threw punches from every concievable angle how could he not be good on the inside? I daresay he would be better than Castillo on the insideI never saw him fight much inside. He always needed space to let his hands go.

Pastrano
05-29-2011, 10:14 AM
I don't think Pryor would win. He never defeated a really great defensive/technical fighter. Nick Furlano was the closest he got to that. But Furlano and Mayweather can't be compared really. Floyd would feint and block his punches and counterpunch him to win a ud. I can see Pryor stunning Floyd, but he didn't have the power to stop him. Floyd has been stunned before and he always came back to win.

Steak
05-29-2011, 05:22 PM
Arguello culdnt slow Pryor down so how could Mayweather, yes he could be a bit wild but how is Mayweather going to outbox someone who doesnt give him the space to?
Arguello DID slow Pryor down and was winning before Pryor's late surge. and Arguello and Floyd are completely different fighters. Floyd's footwork and defense are both clearly better than Arguello, and that would severely limit Pryor's offense, which was wild and and often wide open.

Pryor was decked before by lighter punchers, and although I dont see Floyd dropping him I can see Pryor being more reluctant to just walk in if he gets popped in the face by right hands. Floyd controls distance very well with his jabs to the gut as well.

Oselav
06-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Mayweather by decision if he can survive Pryor's early onslaught.
The fight I would love to see at 140 would by Henry Armstrong-Pryor. A true all action classic

Tiozzo
06-01-2011, 05:22 PM
during the build-up to Hatton-Mayweather, Floyd told a reporter who had asked who would have been his 2 toughest fights that it would have been Pryor and Whitaker

I think it was an honest answer