View Full Version : Who do you like Better: Morales or Barrera?

young_robbed
05-27-2011, 07:06 PM
I like Morales better. Just love his boxing style overall.

But i want to know what the rest of the forum thinks

Scott9945
05-27-2011, 08:36 PM
I always liked Barrera better, but I have a very high opinion of both of them.

Wild Blue Yonda
05-27-2011, 09:17 PM
Barrera, personally. I think Morales will win this popularity contest, though. We'll see.

CarlosG815
05-27-2011, 09:39 PM
I always liked Barrera better, but I have a very high opinion of both of them.

Same here. Barrera was always my favorite, loved his attitude.

Steak
05-27-2011, 09:49 PM
Barrera, he always seemed like such a badass. and his first ever fight on HBO should have been fight of the year, against McKinney. also I like how he was able to bounce back from losses and setbacks in his career. It still amazes me every time I rewatch Barrera-Morales 1, and that far back theyre wondering 'what does Barrera have left?' after the Junior Jones losses.

but I definitely like Morales too, and think hes the better of the two.

studentofthegam
05-27-2011, 09:51 PM
Morales. I used to be big on MAB until he tried to dog Erik for being poor and hit Marquez while he was on the ground. He just seems like a cheat and a bigot in my eyes now. I still enjoy him retiring hype job Hamed.

Scott9945
05-27-2011, 10:01 PM
Barrera, he always seemed like such a badass. and his first ever fight on HBO should have been fight of the year, against McKinney. also I like how he was able to bounce back from losses and setbacks in his career. It still amazes me every time I rewatch Barrera-Morales 1, and that far back theyre wondering 'what does Barrera have left?' after the Junior Jones losses.

but I definitely like Morales too, and think hes the better of the two.

I got 4-1 odds on Barrera on the day of the first Morales fight. Needless to say, I wasn't too pleased with the decision...:crying:

BigStereotype
05-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Barrera. I appreciate Morales for being a badass and I root my ass off for him against everyone...except Barrera. The KING badass. Just look in his eyes before the bell rings. That's why I love him. He is there to kill, one of those dudes who I have no doubt would be willing to die in the ring.

SCtrojansbaby
05-28-2011, 03:07 AM
Barrera was the better, more talented and more versatile fighter. Morales was more exciting though.

Rip Chudd
05-28-2011, 03:15 AM
Barrera. Hands down.

$BloodyNate$
05-28-2011, 03:30 AM
Morales is a ****in warrior. You hit him, he wants to hit you back even harder. Repeat that hundreds of times during the round for 12 rounds and thats why I ****in love him haha.

The Surgeon
05-28-2011, 03:48 AM
If u love boxing u love both these guys, they are everything thats good about this great sport! For me tho its El Terrible, he's my boy :boxing:

chiguy91
05-28-2011, 03:59 AM
barrera for me...

Toney616
05-28-2011, 06:28 AM
Barrera is a badass. The first 4 rounds of him against jmm are some of my favorite boxing rounds. On the Flip side Erik's my boy, and after his performance against Maidana I have to go with Erik.

The Smash
05-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Barrera is a badass. The first 4 rounds of him against jmm are some of my favorite boxing rounds. On the Flip side Erik's my boy, and after his performance against Maidana I have to go with Erik.

Not much discussed but a quality fight - it was similar to Hearns/Leonard II(without the knockdowns) very entertaining.

Morales, but it's close, obviously. Barrera was definitely "the HBO fighter", in my view; you only have to listen how totally lacking in objectivity Lampley(who I have a lot of time for) and co were in the third Morales and Marquez fights'.

Pastrano
05-28-2011, 07:39 AM
I got a feeling everybody got respect for Barrera on boxing forums. And many I've spoken to actually like him better than Morales, even though they like both. Myself I prefer Erik coz he looks more humble, naturally because he comes from more humble background than Barrera. Sadly, its always been a big part of the rivalry and animosity between the two and its STUPID.:nonono:

I enjoyed Barrera's dismantling of ****y mofo Hamed and also the way he beat Kennedy McKinney, another ****y guy. But if you ask me who I think is better p4p, I'd say Morales is. He beat Junior Jones and Pacquiao, Barrera lost to them. He also schooled guys like Paulie Ayala and Jesus Chavez, 2 very skilled fighters. Barrera has also beat many good fighters, but his cryptonite were fast guys with power like Jones and Manny.

Toney616
05-28-2011, 07:47 AM
Not much discussed but a quality fight - it was similar to Hearns/Leonard II(without the knockdowns) very entertaining.
I agree. I like the intensity that Barrera fights with. He seemed to lose a bit of focus later on in that fight though. lol at him knocking down jmm and getting a 8-10 round

Morales, but it's close, obviously. Barrera was definitely "the HBO fighter", in my view; you only have to listen how totally lacking in objectivity Lampley(who I have a lot of time for) and co were in the third Morales and Marquez fights'.
The Maidana fight tilts it in Erik's favor for me. Dude fought on skill and heart alone.

Pastrano
05-28-2011, 07:50 AM

Youre right. Even in the first Morales-Barrera fight everybody was hugging Barrera's nuts. Lederman the senile fool scored it unbelievably wide for Barrera!:chairshot

The Smash
05-28-2011, 08:23 AM
In fairness, the fights were absolute hell to score and my scores change every time I watch them. I also think Lederman is decent enough and gets more right than he does wrong.

Toney616
05-28-2011, 08:32 AM
In fairness, the fights were absolute hell to score and my scores change every time I watch them. I also think Lederman is decent enough and gets more right than he does wrong.
I scored it for jmm by 2 points

The Smash
05-28-2011, 08:52 AM
I think that's the way I had it, too, but I meant the Barrera-Morales fights were hell to score.

Toney616
05-28-2011, 09:02 AM
I think that's the way I had it, too, but I meant the Barrera-Morales fights were hell to score.
Thats how I scored the jmm-Barerra fight

studentofthegam
05-28-2011, 09:17 AM
I got a feeling everybody got respect for Barrera on boxing forums. And many I've spoken to actually like him better than Morales, even though they like both. Myself I prefer Erik coz he looks more humble, naturally because he comes from more humble background than Barrera. Sadly, its always been a big part of the rivalry and animosity between the two and its STUPID.:nonono:

I enjoyed Barrera's dismantling of ****y mofo Hamed and also the way he beat Kennedy McKinney, another ****y guy. But if you ask me who I think is better p4p, I'd say Morales is. He beat Junior Jones and Pacquiao, Barrera lost to them. He also schooled guys like Paulie Ayala and Jesus Chavez, 2 very skilled fighters. Barrera has also beat many good fighters, but his cryptonite were fast guys with power like Jones and Manny.Watched it last night and Barrera hit that man below the belt about 30-40 times and the ref only gave him mild warnings. I'd say atleast half of them were deliberate. But gave Mckinney stern warnings for pushing off with his shoulder even ever so slightly. Re-watching that fight made me like MAB even less.

New England
05-28-2011, 09:20 AM
Fight again and i'll vote for the winner:fing02:
:usa:

young_robbed
05-28-2011, 11:57 AM
Poll added.

IronDanHamza
05-28-2011, 12:36 PM
EL Terrible, hands down.

talip bin osman
05-28-2011, 08:16 PM
erik...just because he is the better action fighter...:)

Terry A
05-28-2011, 08:24 PM
I liked Barrera better but I have to admit, when Barrera sucker punched Morales & Morales never missed a beat & fired INSTANTLY back on him at that stare down, I got a ton of respect for Eric Morales now.

BigStereotype
05-29-2011, 01:23 PM
Another thing I like about Barrera too is his arrogance. He's not ****y or flashy like Roy Jones or Ali, but you can tell that he thinks he's above his opponents. Especially a guy like the Prince. Not only did he whoop Hamed, he made sure Hamed knew he was just being outclassed. The way he fights like that is just really satisfying to watch.

lightsout_finit
05-29-2011, 02:04 PM
Erik Morales for me!!!!!!! :)

They are BOTH tough stubborn bastards though.
I can understand if people favor one over the other but you gotta like both.

The Surgeon
05-29-2011, 02:23 PM
I liked Barrera better but I have to admit, when Barrera sucker punched Morales & Morales never missed a beat & fired INSTANTLY back on him at that stare down, I got a ton of respect for Eric Morales now.

That ***** REALLY was INSTANT! The second Barrera connected Morales had sent back counter fire! Gangster

The Surgeon
05-29-2011, 02:27 PM
How about Marquez? I know MAB and Erik had their wars and will be locked together in boxing history now but when i think of them i think of Marquez and he's another fighter i just love!

I think i have them in terms of liking them as follows

1. Morales (by a ball hair!)
2. Marquez
3. Barrera (who i wasnt huge on during his prime but now love and have huge respect for)

studentofthegam
05-29-2011, 07:55 PM
How about Marquez? I know MAB and Erik had their wars and will be locked together in boxing history now but when i think of them i think of Marquez and he's another fighter i just love!

2. Marquez
3. Barrera (who i wasnt huge on during his prime but now love and have huge respect for)Marquez is definitely my favorite of the three. Even the safer prime version.

IronDanHamza
05-29-2011, 08:17 PM

2. Marquez
3. Barrera (who i wasnt huge on during his prime but now love and have huge respect for)

Marquez is a level below those two IMO.

He has lived in their shadow despite being older for a good reason.

Josh_Shing
05-30-2011, 05:58 AM
Idk, i think i just have more respect for morales, for pretty much the same reasons that has already been said lol

BigStereotype
05-30-2011, 10:48 AM

You really think so? This run at lightweight has been pretty impressive and I still believe he should have at least one win over Pacquiao. He beat Barrera, who still had something left in the tank, too.

IronDanHamza
05-30-2011, 11:01 AM
You really think so? This run at lightweight has been pretty impressive and I still believe he should have at least one win over Pacquiao. He beat Barrera, who still had something left in the tank, too.

I really think so.

Marquez has had a pretty good lineage at 135 but it's not exactly outstanding.

I like Marquez, and respect Marquez. He's a great fighter. But, he is a level below those 2 IMO.

As for the Barrera fight, that was controversial although I felt Marquez won and the Juarez fights showed Barrera was on the decline at that point.

I felt Marquez beat Pacquaio the second time.

Great fighter, just not as great as those two.

GrandpaBernard
05-30-2011, 12:02 PM
THis is about like. Erik Morales is clearly the better looking man.

The Surgeon
05-30-2011, 12:17 PM

I find it hard to split the three to be honest but i think in terms of ability Juan would rate 3rd but its real tight imo

Is that how u feel about them as personal favourites too or just on greatness?

IronDanHamza
05-30-2011, 12:21 PM
I find it hard to split the three to be honest but i think in terms of ability Juan would rate 3rd but its real tight imo

Is that how u feel about them as personal favourites too or just on greatness?

Both.

I struggle to see how Marquez is as great as Morales and Barrera personally. I think Morales and Barrera are quite clearly greater than Marquez.

In terms of who I like, I like Morales much much more than I like Barrera or Marquez.

I probably like Barrera and Marquez about the same.

coreyg100
06-04-2011, 04:24 PM
Too close. Both gave us great fights, and still have some more to give. Did you see his most recent fight Vs. Jose Arias for Barrera he won by TKO in 2nd? Or Willie Limond, Francisco Lorenzo, and Jose Alfaro he got a draw with Maidana in my head. GO EL TERRIBLE AND BABY FACED ASSASSIN!

cooper5
06-05-2011, 05:20 AM
I like both. I lean a little towards Barrera because the outcome of their three fights.

studentofthegam
06-05-2011, 03:55 PM
Both.

I struggle to see how Marquez is as great as Morales and Barrera personally. I think Morales and Barrera are quite clearly greater than Marquez.

In terms of who I like, I like Morales much much more than I like Barrera or Marquez.

I probably like Barrera and Marquez about the same.Marquez is still the only one who is fighting at as high a level in the later part of his career as he did early on. Thats gotta count for something.

IronDanHamza
06-05-2011, 04:13 PM
Marquez is still the only one who is fighting at as high a level in the later part of his career as he did early on. Thats gotta count for something.

Good point.

But even then, I still really struggle to see an argument for Marquez being as great as Morales or Barrera.

talip bin osman
06-05-2011, 07:15 PM
Marquez is still the only one who is fighting at as high a level in the later part of his career as he did early on. Thats gotta count for something.

when barrera and morales were into the thick of building their respective resumes and climbing weight classes, marquez was well preserved by arum on the top rank freezer...

it was only when golden boy got hold of him that he started to constantly fight the guys that matter... around this time, barrera and morales were approaching the twilights of their prime...

i think that explains why JMM has better longevity...

studentofthegam
06-06-2011, 06:46 PM
when barrera and morales were into the thick of building their respective resumes and climbing weight classes, marquez was well preserved by arum on the top rank freezer...

it was only when golden boy got hold of him that he started to constantly fight the guys that matter... around this time, barrera and morales were approaching the twilights of their prime...

i think that explains why JMM has better longevity...I think it had more to do with him changing his agressiveness as far as longevity goes. The reality is also that they never really gave him his chance to enter the big three competition back then. I think he beats Barrera at any point in their careers. If there is a fighter that straps them up against all comers its those Marquez Bros.