View Full Version : Hagler vs McCallum: who ranks higher?

Toney616
05-27-2011, 01:25 PM
Who ranks higher on the ATG list? please give reasons

McCallums best wins:
Jeff Harding
Sumbu Kalambay
Michael Watson
Steve Collins
Herol Graham
Donald Curry
Julian Jackson
Ayub Kalule

Noticable Losses:
Toney
Kalumby

Accomplishments:
3 division world champion

Haglers best wins:
John Mugabi
Thomas Hearns
Juan Domingo Roldan
Roberto Duran
Vito Antuofermo
Alan Minter
Bennie Briscoe
Tony Sibson
Mustafa Hamsho

Noticable Losses:
Leonard

Accomplishments:
undisputed mw division world champion

Comparing Best wins:
Julian Jackson < Hearns
Collins=Minter
Harding=Mugabi
Kalambay> Duran
Watson= Roldan
Graham> Briscoe
Curry= Hamsho
Kalule=Sibson
McCrory=Antuofermo

Draws:
Toney>Antuofermo

IronDanHamza
05-27-2011, 01:57 PM
Hagler because he is a Top 5 Middleweight which is one of the deepest divisions in history and because he has a better resume.

I do rank McCallum #1 at 154, though.

Barn
05-27-2011, 02:58 PM
Is this a serious question?

DarkTerror88
05-27-2011, 11:43 PM
Hagler can compare to Greb, Robinson and Monzon in the fight for #1 MW of all time. Need I say more?

BigStereotype
05-27-2011, 11:45 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_wAxDMfEGhoY/TOx8QXZnYeI/AAAAAAAAAXI/YoRTFUzlA68/s1600/Not%2BSure%2Bif%2Bserious.jpg

SCtrojansbaby
05-28-2011, 03:04 AM
Hagler because he is a Top 5 Middleweight which is one of the deepest divisions in history and because he has a better resume.

What is Hagler's second best win? Vito Antuofermo, semi-shot Duran?

McCallum has a deep resume with guys like Collins Kalambay Watson Jackson Graham Kalule Harding etc

Toney616
05-28-2011, 05:48 AM

McCallums best wins:
Jeff Harding
Sumbu Kalambay
Michael Watson
Steve Collins
Herol Graham
Donald Curry
Julian Jackson
Ayub Kalule

Accomplishments:
3 division world champion

Haglers best wins:
John Mugabi
Thomas Hearns
Juan Domingo Roldan
Roberto Duran
Vito Antuofermo
Alan Minter
Bennie Briscoe
Tony Sibson
Mustafa Hamsho

Accomplishments:
undisputed mw division world champion

I'm of the opinion that his resume compares to Hagler's

Toney616
05-28-2011, 05:49 AM

McCallum has a deep resume with guys like Collins Kalambay Watson Jackson Graham Kalule Harding etc
I love that fight, a very underrated performance by McCallum

Toney616
05-28-2011, 05:57 AM
Is this a serious question?
Yes, it is

TBear
05-28-2011, 07:30 AM
Imagine if McCallum unified a title completely and then defended it against a whole bunch of #1 contenders from all the organizations for years. We are not talking about there being two other champions while he ruled as there was for McCallum. So top contenders had to fight each other for a title shot. And every time they did this, Hagler would dominate them.
So basicly put, he beat the best of the best for years. I liked McCallum alot but while he was a "titlest" among three other titlests there was always a question if he was truly the best in his weight class. Until he fought IBF middleweight champion James Toney in his first unification(the WBA did not sanction it but it was two champions fighting each other).

I also understand it's hard for younger boxing fans to understand the significance of being undisputed, because today it is unheard of. But it is a good measure of greatness. That is another reason why many long time fight fans hold pugilists like Ali, Robinson and Joe Louis in such high regard.

Toney616
05-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Imagine if McCallum unified a title completely and then defended it against a whole bunch of #1 contenders from all the organizations for years. We are not talking about there being two other champions while he ruled as there was for McCallum. So top contenders had to fight each other for a title shot. And every time they did this, Hagler would dominate them.
So basicly put, he beat the best of the best for years. I liked McCallum alot but while he was a "titlest" among three other titlests there was always a question if he was truly the best in his weight class. Until he fought IBF middleweight champion James Toney in his first unification(the WBA did not sanction it but it was two champions fighting each other).

But his mw division wasn't very deep, which is why his best win is over Hearns

Unfortunately he was stripped for not paying the outrageous step aside fee the WBA were demanding, something like $115K

I also understand it's hard for younger boxing fans to understand the significance of being undisputed, because today it is unheard of. But it is a good measure of greatness. That is why many long time fight fans hold pugilists like Ali, Robinson and Joe Louis in such high regard.
True. Belts mean absolutely nothing these days

Pastrano
05-28-2011, 08:30 AM

:hail: Finally, knew there was something sensible in you!:D Hagler is gravely overrated, that is, his resume is. The man was capable as hell, no doubt. But he didn't beat the best guy he ever fought, arguably the best guy. And if Hearns hadn't broken his right hand...who knows. Duran fight was close as hell. McCallum on the other hand beat all his opponents decisively, Herol Graham was a close fight but I scored it 116-114 for Mike. Second Kalambay fight I had 115-114 for him. Both Herol and Sumbu are among the 10 best mw's of the last 30-40 years.

Prediction: next post that comes will call me a nuthugger and try to totally discredit my opinions.:rofl:

Toney616
05-28-2011, 08:42 AM
Prediction: next post that comes will call me a nuthugger and try to totally discredit my opinions.:rofl:
Nuthugger

Just kidding:D

Toney616
05-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Comparing Best wins:
Julian Jackson < Hearns
Collins=Minter
Harding=Mugabi
Kalambay> Duran
Watson= Roldan
Graham> Briscoe
Curry= Hamsho
Kalule=Sibson
McCrory=Antuofermo

Draws:
Toney>Antuofermo

Edit: Changed grading of Hearns-Jackson wins

Ziggy Stardust
05-28-2011, 11:07 AM
Comparing Best wins:
Julian Jackson=Hearns
Collins=Minter
Harding=Mugabi
Kalambay> Duran
Watson= Roldan
Graham> Briscoe
Curry= Hamsho
Kalule=Sibson
McCrory=Antuofermo

Draws:
Toney>Antuofermo

Beating Julian Jackson is of equal weight to beating Tommy Hearns? :thinking9:

Poet

BigStereotype
05-28-2011, 11:09 AM
Comparing Best wins:
Julian Jackson=Hearns
Collins=Minter
Harding=Mugabi
Kalambay> Duran
Watson= Roldan
Graham> Briscoe
Curry= Hamsho
Kalule=Sibson
McCrory=Antuofermo

Draws:
Toney>Antuofermo

I think that is a bit of a leap. Hearns is a better win than Jackson, lets be real.

Toney616
05-28-2011, 11:21 AM
Beating Julian Jackson is of equal weight to beating Tommy Hearns? :thinking9:

Poet
Your right, its not.

edit: upgraded my comparison list

Toney616
05-28-2011, 11:23 AM
I think that is a bit of a leap. Hearns is a better win than Jackson, lets be real.
Cool
The rest of my comparisons hold up though

Off topic:
Who is that in your avy? She looks spooky. Looks like a character out of the lord of the rings movies

young_robbed
05-28-2011, 12:08 PM
Hagler hands down for me.

Pastrano
05-28-2011, 12:47 PM
Comparing Best wins:
Julian Jackson < Hearns
Collins=Minter
Harding=Mugabi
Kalambay> Duran
Watson= Roldan
Graham> Briscoe
Curry= Hamsho
Kalule=Sibson
McCrory=Antuofermo

Draws:
Toney>Antuofermo

Edit: Changed grading of Hearns-Jackson wins
Curry should be compared with Hearns, not Jackson. That and Kalambay are MM's best wins.:headbang:

SCtrojansbaby
05-28-2011, 02:05 PM
On what planet is Alan Minter as good a win as Steve Collins. Oh and Michale Watson is 1000000x the fighter Roldan could ever dream of being.

John Mugabi has been KO'd in every significant fight he has ever had, Harding is a WAY better win