View Full Version : Some of your favorite fighters who never won championships

Terry A
05-26-2011, 06:15 PM
Any fighters who never won a world championship or were just good fighters that you really liked? Just for one reason or another, you took a liking to them & followed their career?

I always liked Bernardo Mercardo, Oscar Bonavena & Eddie "Animal" Lopez. I'm Italian, Polish & Czeck, not a latin, but for whatever reason, I liked these guys.
Met Mercardo at Larry Holmes training camp. He could bang!
Bonavena, I liked him from when I watched the fights with Frazier. Tough, rugged & what a character! I almost cried when he got shot & killed at Conforte's whore house.
Eddie Lopez impressed me when he fought Leon. He looked good against Tate also.

Mitch Green was another guy I really liked. Met him and he was pretty happy that someone showed an interest in him. We had three nice long talks over a 3 day period & he was nothing like he was when he was getting tazed on a street corner in NY by the police! Remember when he was being interviewed about Tyson & he flexed a bicep while at the same time saying that Tyson was a Ho-Mo! Pretty funny guy in his interviews.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5QzpNqiLOA&playnext=1&list=PL611B6BB42B052251

IronDanHamza
05-26-2011, 06:17 PM
Bennie Brisco.

NChristo
05-26-2011, 06:30 PM
Briscoe, Herol Graham, Emmanuel Augustus and James Scott.

Joey Giardello
05-26-2011, 06:39 PM
Bobby Cassidy, Bennie Briscoe, Michael Watson, Librado Andrade, Herol Graham, Tony Mundine, Charley Burley, David Tua, Kirkland Lang, Emanuel Augustus, Omar Sheika, Scott Pemberton, Elmer Ray, Jimmy Young, Ron Lyle, Enrique Ornelas, Gypsy Joe Harris, Frasier Scott, Gerry Cooney, Ivan Robinson, Angel Manfredy, Joe Messi, Bert Cooper and Eric Harding.

Barn
05-26-2011, 06:44 PM
Sam Langford, Jerry Quarry, Tex Cobb, Ron Lyle.

project xxx1
05-26-2011, 06:46 PM
spencer the omen oliver
herold bomber graham

IronDanHamza
05-26-2011, 06:48 PM
Going off some of the answers thus far I presume we are not counting colored titles?

Ziggy Stardust
05-26-2011, 08:16 PM
I would have liked to have said Frank Bruno but he lifted a belt off Oliver McCall.....So I'll say Herol Graham and Jesse Ferguson.

Poet

SCtrojansbaby
05-26-2011, 10:16 PM
Howard Eastman(he got robbed in the Joppy fight) and he gave Arthur Abraham a good fight

Steak
05-27-2011, 12:08 AM
Going off some of the answers thus far I presume we are not counting colored titles?

thinking Langford?

Scott9945
05-27-2011, 02:20 AM
Former welterweight contender Armando Muniz. He was totally robbed out of a title against a washed up Napoles in Mexico.

IronDanHamza
05-27-2011, 10:07 AM
I was quite fond of Floyd Mayweather Sr when he was a contender.

IronDanHamza
05-27-2011, 10:08 AM
thinking Langford?

Yeah and someone else said Charley Burley also who I believe held one of those.

New England
05-27-2011, 10:13 AM
I was quite fond of Floyd Mayweather Sr when he was a contender.

floyd joy had "speed speed speed"

roger could punch too

talented lot, those mayweathers

and my favorite non-champions are some of the standard fare

briscoe
burley
tua
quarry

fitefanSHO
05-27-2011, 11:18 AM
Micky Ward.

http://boston.sportsthenandnow.com/wp/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Micky_Ward.jpg

WBU was not, is not a legit title by any means. Sure it meant a lot to Micky and it was nice to see him get a strap, and then the big $$$ Gatti fights after that, but the fact is that Micky Ward (one of my all time faves) never won world championship, at least by my definition.

Hardly matters tho, Micky FOUGHT like a Champion, every time.

IronDanHamza
05-27-2011, 11:47 AM
floyd joy had "speed speed speed"

roger could punch too

talented lot, those mayweathers

and my favorite non-champions are some of the standard fare

briscoe
burley
tua
quarry

Roger Mayweather is one of my favourite fighters to this day. I only started following Lil Floyd because I saw him on the undercard before he even won his first world title and said "This is Roger Mayweather's newphew? I'll check him out" at this time I was unaware he was a Olympic medalist or anything like that and presumed he wouldn't reach the level Roger did. Turns out that is not what happened :lol1:

Pastrano
05-27-2011, 12:14 PM
Any fighters who never won a world championship or were just good fighters that you really liked? Just for one reason or another, you took a liking to them & followed their career?

I always liked Bernardo Mercardo, Oscar Bonavena & Eddie "Animal" Lopez. I'm Italian, Polish & Czeck, not a latin, but for whatever reason, I liked these guys.
Bonavena, I liked him from when I watched the fights with Frazier. Tough, rugged & what a character! I almost cried when he got shot & killed at Conforte's whore house.

Mitch Green was another guy I really liked. Met him and he was pretty happy that someone showed an interest in him. We had three nice long talks over a 3 day period & he was nothing like he was when he was getting tazed on a street corner in NY by the police! Remember when he was being interviewed about Tyson & he flexed a bicep while at the same time saying that Tyson was a Ho-Mo! Pretty funny guy in his interviews.

I like Bonavena too and Yaqui Lopez. I think had they fought today, they'd both hold titles for quite long...if they were dedicated enough. Bonavena loved the night life, but he still was in shape in most of his fights. If not all. Yaqui too always looked fit and motivated, but cruiserweight was not a good division for him. He was at the end of his career however. Angel Manfredy is one other fighter that was talented and good to watch but never won a world title. Micky Ward too.

Scott9945
05-27-2011, 01:32 PM
I like Bonavena too and Yaqui Lopez. I think had they fought today, they'd both hold titles for quite long...if they were dedicated enough. Bonavena loved the night life, but he still was in shape in most of his fights. If not all. Yaqui too always looked fit and motivated, but cruiserweight was not a good division for him. He was at the end of his career however. Angel Manfredy is one other fighter that was talented and good to watch but never won a world title. Micky Ward too.

You really think that Bonavena would beat either of the Klitschko's? I wouldn't even pick him over Haye, Adamek, Chambers, or Povetkin. Bonavena had the wrong size and style to fight the top heavyweights of this era.

studentofthegam
05-27-2011, 01:50 PM
Augustus and Ward. I wouldnt have been as interested in boxing without them.

GF of Boxing
05-27-2011, 02:52 PM
Sam Langford, Jerry Quarry, Tex Cobb, Ron Lyle.

Mad props. It seems like to me Sam Langford is the forgotten one. True legend of the game.

Pastrano
05-27-2011, 02:56 PM
You really think that Bonavena would beat either of the Klitschko's? I wouldn't even pick him over Haye, Adamek, Chambers, or Povetkin. Bonavena had the wrong size and style to fight the top heavyweights of this era.

You crazy?!? He nearly beat FRAZIER in their 1st fight and decked him twice and you think all THOSE guys would beat him?!?! NO WAY!:nono: I agree Klitschkos would be a stretch, but Oscar was a very strong and tough guy who could take loads of punishment and come back strong. He only lost to the very best, most durable guys who could also take punishment well. Frazier, Ali, Patterson and Lyle, to name a few.

One thing that sets him back is his height, or lack of. He stood only about 5'11. Some sources say he was 6'1, but he didn't look that tall standing head to head with Ali. There is a funny clip on that btw, where they both break eachothers balls.

Scott9945
05-27-2011, 05:00 PM
You crazy?!? He nearly beat FRAZIER in their 1st fight and decked him twice and you think all THOSE guys would beat him?!?! NO WAY!:nono: I agree Klitschkos would be a stretch, but Oscar was a very strong and tough guy who could take loads of punishment and come back strong. He only lost to the very best, most durable guys who could also take punishment well. Frazier, Ali, Patterson and Lyle, to name a few.

One thing that sets him back is his height, or lack of. He stood only about 5'11. Some sources say he was 6'1, but he didn't look that tall standing head to head with Ali. There is a funny clip on that btw, where they both break eachothers balls.

Bonavena was a very tough guy and brawlers his size like Frazier were ideal for him. If he had more size, speed, or one punch KO power I'd give him a better shot. Bonavena is one of these fighters who is more famous for the Frazier and Ali losses than any fight he won. Frazier was very early in his career the first time they fought, and Ali hadn't been past the 3rd round in four years and was plenty rusty.

I'm not saying that Bonavena would be an easy fight for anyone, just that he was around in the right era for him.

Steak
05-27-2011, 05:38 PM
Bonavena had an interesting style. It wouldnt have matched up well against the Klitschko brothers, but it would have really beat up someone like Povetkin. Although hes more famous for his good efforts in his losses against Patteron, Frazier and Ali, he still had good wins over Peralta, Chuvalo and Mildenberger.

Pastrano
05-27-2011, 05:45 PM
Bonavena was a very tough guy and brawlers his size like Frazier were ideal for him. If he had more size, speed, or one punch KO power I'd give him a better shot. Bonavena is one of these fighters who is more famous for the Frazier and Ali losses than any fight he won. Frazier was very early in his career the first time they fought, and Ali hadn't been past the 3rd round in four years and was plenty rusty.

I'm not saying that Bonavena would be an easy fight for anyone, just that he was around in the right era for him.
How do you know he didn't have it? He knocked out 44 out of 58 opponents.

Scott9945
05-27-2011, 06:06 PM
How do you know he didn't have it? He knocked out 44 out of 58 opponents.

I've seen Bonavena fight many times. He had heavy hands, but simply wasn't a one punch KO artist. Stats can be deceiving. Tell me this, who is the best fighter that Bonavena ever KO'd? I'm pretty sure it wasn't anyone in the top 30.

Pastrano
05-27-2011, 06:48 PM
I've seen Bonavena fight many times. He had heavy hands, but simply wasn't a one punch KO artist. Stats can be deceiving. Tell me this, who is the best fighter that Bonavena ever KO'd? I'm pretty sure it wasn't anyone in the top 30.
Er, maybe you're right. It seems Manuel "Pulgarcito" Ramos is his most famous ko victim. He had several good opponents hurt but just couldn't finish them off, so maybe he was just a bad finisher.:thinking:

The Surgeon
05-27-2011, 07:24 PM
Easy pick - Jamie Moore :boxing:

Love em, right in my top 10 favourites list

$Full Clip$
05-27-2011, 07:38 PM
Emmanuel Augustus
Ron Lyle
Wilfredo Rivera
Sakio Bika(Unless you count country titles)
Jadon Condrington
Edison Miranda was exciting as hell too.

joseph5620
05-27-2011, 08:11 PM

I really like watching Howard Davis Jr and his speed. He came up short against Jim Watt and knockdowns lost it for him against Edwin Rosario in a close fight. With his background I'm surprised he never won a world title. I also admire a lot of the top heavyweights from the 70's like Quarry and Lyle who never won a title.

Yaqui Lopez deserves a mention too. He came close with Galindez and fought in a very tough era for light heavyweights.

joseph5620
05-27-2011, 08:13 PM

I don't see him beating any of those fighters either and the Klitschko's would be a physical mismatch.

IronDanHamza
05-28-2011, 02:59 PM
George Benton.

Can't believe I forgot one of my favourite fighters.

Scott9945
05-28-2011, 08:44 PM
I really like watching Howard Davis Jr and his speed. He came up short against Jim Watt and knockdowns lost it for him against Edwin Rosario in a close fight. With his background I'm surprised he never won a world title. I also admire a lot of the top heavyweights from the 70's like Quarry and Lyle who never won a title.

Yaqui Lopez deserves a mention too. He came close with Galindez and fought in a very tough era for light heavyweights.

After watching him in the Olympics, I thought Davis was a sure thing to win a world title. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Terry A
05-28-2011, 09:04 PM
After watching him in the Olympics, I thought Davis was a sure thing to win a world title. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

I agree with you.

Have a funny story about Davis. I had a real good buddy who was a useful sparring partner when I boxed. He was 5'10" weighed 270 lbs and his favorite fighter was Howard Davis Jr! Go figure! But anyway, I really loved the guy & was rooting for Davis to win a championship just so my friend could have something in boxing to be happy about. (He was a notoriously bad picker of fights. He must have lost 80%-90% of every bet he made on who wins whatever fight).

Davis was going to fight Jim Watt and I remember buying my buddy a Burger King Whopper the day of the fight & telling him he's SURE going to be the King today!!

I kid you not. One of his other favorite fighters ever was Tyrone Everett. I gotta leave it there before I get myself in some kinda trouble here.....

IronDanHamza
05-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Jose Medal.

New England
05-29-2011, 01:16 AM
I agree with you.

Have a funny story about Davis. I had a real good buddy who was a useful sparring partner when I boxed. He was 5'10" weighed 270 lbs and his favorite fighter was Howard Davis Jr! Go figure! But anyway, I really loved the guy & was rooting for Davis to win a championship just so my friend could have something in boxing to be happy about. (He was a notoriously bad picker of fights. He must have lost 80%-90% of every bet he made on who wins whatever fight).

Davis was going to fight Jim Watt and I remember buying my buddy a Burger King Whopper the day of the fight & telling him he's SURE going to be the King today!!

I kid you not. One of his other favorite fighters ever was Tyrone Everett. I gotta leave it there before I get myself in some kinda trouble here.....

is that lingo for a 270 lb heavy bag with gloves and headgear? :rofl:

thought of some more fighters who were enjoyable, never won world titles

edison miranda was in some great fights but was never of champion caliber
his fight with pavlik was an absolute classic

i liked kirk johnson. it was nice to see a fighter on his toes in an era of flat footers

micky ward. you know how he rolls

yaqui lopez challenged for world titles at LHW 3 times and CW once, losing them all
among others he was in two classics w/ matthew saad muhammad.
his second, in '80, was the FOTY.
he was a very solid contender n in any era, and i have no doubt he'd give a beating to jean pascal

Terry A
05-29-2011, 12:05 PM
is that lingo for a 270 lb heavy bag with gloves and headgear? :rofl:

Yes, he was basically a heavy bag with eye balls. But he always liked them fancy-dan-fleet-footed guys, ala James J. Corbett!

Pastrano
05-29-2011, 12:13 PM
Jerry Quarry never won a world title either.