View Full Version : The Quirky facts thread.

Barnburner
05-25-2011, 04:30 AM
Post all interesting, trivial and funny little known boxing stories or facts in this thread.

- Henry Armtsrong had a heart 1/3 bigger than most normal people.

Terry A
05-25-2011, 05:00 AM
Barn, you mentioned Harry Greb in the Ray Robinson thread....

When Tunney fought Greb (who was the only man to ever beat Gene Tunney) Gene was asked what it felt like to face the "Human Windmill". He said it was "like standing next to a giant shelf of shoes and having hundreds of them all fall down on you at the same time."

Barnburner
05-25-2011, 05:03 AM
Barn, you mentioned Harry Greb in the Ray Robinson thread....

When Tunney fought Greb (who was the only man to ever beat Gene Tunney) Gene was asked what it felt like to face the "Human Windmill". He said it was "like standing next to a giant shelf of shoes and having hundreds of them all fall down on you at the same time."
Haha need to remember that one.

Archie Moore said fightign Marciano was "Like fighting an aeroplane propeler."

Terry A
05-25-2011, 05:25 AM

That's pretty funny too!

Speaking of Archie, in one of his fights with Yvon Durelle, Moore was knocked down 4 times! When he went back to his corner, his manager Doc Kearns told Archie that his wife was afraid that he was getting killed & that, "to comfort her & to show her he was all right", he should wave at her. Arcie said he would be glad to be didn't know where she was. (She was sitting right behind Archie's corner). Doc told her she was sitting just behind Durelle's corner so hurry up & wave at her before the bell rings for the next round. Archie stood up and "waved at his wife" while looking over at Durelle's corner. Story goes that when Archie stood up and waved at him, Durelle thought Archie was mocking him & it so demoralized Durelle that he ended up losing the fight.

TBear
05-25-2011, 06:26 AM
Greb died during simple and non dangerous eye surgery.

Holtol
05-25-2011, 06:37 AM
Although he was never knocked unconsious in the ring Ali spent some time unconsious after he was kissed by a girl for the first time when he was in highschool.

Monkz
05-25-2011, 06:51 AM
Floyd Patterson was knocked down more than any other modern Heavyweight champion. (20 times)

JAB5239
05-25-2011, 06:58 AM
Greb died during simple and non dangerous eye surgery.

Tiger Flowers, who incidentally was the last man to beat Greb, died from the same surgery a year later,

TBear
05-25-2011, 07:09 AM
Tiger Flowers, who incidentally was the last man to beat Greb, died from the same surgery a year later,

I heard that but I forgot, wonder if it was the same doctor?

RubenSonny
05-25-2011, 07:19 AM
During public training exhibitions, Jack Johnson wrapped his penis in 'complimentary' gauze.

IronDanHamza
05-25-2011, 07:58 AM
The longest fight of all time was a draw between Andy Bowen and Jack Burke, 110 rounds, 7 hours, 19 minutes. In New Orleans, April 6th, 1893.

I believe.

IronDanHamza
05-25-2011, 08:03 AM
Alexis Arguello
Jack Britton
Pipino Cuevas
Henry Armstrong
Manuel Ortiz
Benny Leonard
Benny Lynch
Joe Brown
Billy Conn
Bernard Hopkins
Pone Kingpetch

HOF'ers that lost their very first pro fight.

*I counted Kingpetch because I avidly believe he should be in the HOF.

New England
05-25-2011, 08:37 AM
During public training exhibitions, Jack Johnson wrapped his penis in 'complimentary' gauze.

standard procedure for any self respecting band in the 80's haha

tim bradley ran 24 miles absent mindedly on the day of a weigh in
he stopped when he came to and realized what he was doing.
obviously, he won the fight

carlos monzon cracked a reporter on the mouth and broke his jaw
he was also an honest to goodness chain smoker

erik morales lived above a gym as a youth

george foreman has five sons named george

jack johnson fought two exhibitions at 67 years old.

barney ross became a morphine addict after being wounded in battle

fitefanSHO
05-25-2011, 08:48 AM
Dickie Eklund did NOT knock down Sugar Ray Leonard, despite the fact that he and his sycophantic followers have been making this claim for over 30 years now.

Terry A
05-25-2011, 09:10 AM
When Joe Louis Koed Tony Galento, a reporter said that "Joe hit Galento so hard they could have counted him out in the air!"

Terry A
05-25-2011, 09:15 AM
When Duane Bobick got KOed by Ken Norton in 58 seconds, Curtis Cokes said "Bobick trained for 6 months & didn't even get a chance to use his stool!"

any craic lad?
05-25-2011, 09:27 AM
I always enjoy the Chavez Rosario one where Chavez though Rosario was trying toput a hex on him and so wore his trademark red bandana into the ring so as to protect him from the hex

Terry A
05-25-2011, 09:37 AM
When Ron Stander was getting ready to step n the ring vs Joe Frazier, a reporter asked her for her thoughts on Stander's chances. She said "It's like putting a Volkswagen in the Indy 500."

Remember when Sonny Liston knocked down Wepner and the ref asked him "How many fingers do I have up?" And Wepner said "How many guesses do I get?"

Jake LaMotta says every Christmas Eve, his dad would go outside & shoot his gun, then come back inside & tell us that Santa Claus just committed suicide.

"So he didn't have to buy us any presents."

RubenSonny
05-25-2011, 11:49 AM
standard procedure for any self respecting band in the 80's haha

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

carlos monzon cracked a reporter on the mouth and broke his jaw
he was also an honest to goodness chain smoker

Nicolino Locches corner would poorly cover him between rounds whilst he was smoking.

RubenSonny
05-25-2011, 11:50 AM
alexis arguello
jack britton
pipino cuevas
henry armstrong
manuel ortiz
benny leonard
benny lynch
joe brown
billy conn
bernard hopkins
pone kingpetch

hof'ers that lost their very first pro fight.

*i counted kingpetch because i avidly believe he should be in the hof.

jmm............

IronDanHamza
05-25-2011, 12:07 PM
jmm............

He slipped my mind.

Ah, well. :lol1:

The Surgeon
05-25-2011, 02:38 PM
John L Sullivan was once dropped heavily by a woman!

It was part of his act when he offered prizes to anyone who could last 3 rounds with him, the promoters wife used to have a go, she'd jump in with comedy bloomers on and they would fool around. One night tho John L probably half pissed or even drunker mistimed a stinging shot to her cheek. Reflex and instict kicked in and she lashed out with a wild right that hit Sullivan flush on the jaw and dropped him, for some time apparently!

NChristo
05-25-2011, 03:19 PM
Eder Jofre was a vegetarian, don't know of any others other then Bradley but he is only Vegetarian during Training camps. He was also trained by his dad and they owned their own Gym although it was mainly wrestling based.

Baby Arizmendi is the youngest boxer / champion to turn pro, had his first bout at the age of 10.

RubenSonny
05-25-2011, 03:50 PM
Eder Jofre was a vegetarian, don't know of any others other then Bradley but he is only Vegetarian during Training camps. He was also trained by his dad and they owned their own Gym although it was mainly wrestling based.

Baby Arizmendi is the youngest boxer / champion to turn pro, had his first bout at the age of 10.

I'm pretty sure Hopkins is a vegetarian, at least when he was a middleweight.

IronDanHamza
05-25-2011, 04:09 PM

He is Veagan I believe, not Vegitarian.

I imagine there will be a fair share of them throughout Boxing history especially in the last 20-25 years but I don't know of any.

New England
05-25-2011, 04:11 PM
He is Veagan I believe, not Vegitarian.

I imagine there will be a fair share of them throughout Boxing history especially in the last 20-25 years but I don't know of any.

allan green is a vegetarian as well
and it certainly aint helping him any :slap:

Steak
05-25-2011, 04:17 PM
Julio Cesar Chavez had an abnormally thick skull.

Joe Grim supposedly had twice as thick of a skull as a normal man, and lost every fight but was never KOed despite fighting Jack Johnson, Bob Fitzsimmons, Joe Gans, and a number of other words class opponents.

lightsout_finit
05-25-2011, 04:23 PM
great thread :)

JAB5239
05-25-2011, 04:26 PM

Both Boxrec and Wikipedia list him as turning pro at 13. Still.....imagine a 13 year old fighting a 25 year old and beating him? Thats just crazy!

NChristo
05-25-2011, 04:39 PM
Both Boxrec and Wikipedia list him as turning pro at 13. Still.....imagine a 13 year old fighting a 25 year old and beating him? Thats just crazy!

Different reports varies, I've seen him listed as young as 7, a lot / most say 10 though so just went off that.

Jersey Joe Walcott fought Harold and Phil Johnson, Father and son.

Craig Bodzianowski fought a title bout with a fake leg.

Six Heads Lewis was ahead on scorecards against Dolton when he quit because he had to take a ****.

Barnburner
05-25-2011, 04:40 PM
Julio Cesar Chavez had an abnormally thick skull.

Joe Grim supposedly had twice as thick of a skull as a normal man, and lost every fight but was never KOed despite fighting Jack Johnson, Bob Fitzsimmons, Joe Gans, and a number of other words class opponents.

Not true I'm afraid. He did win a few fights. Hell, he even managed to give Jack Blackburn a good fight.

He was KO'd by Johnson but, was saved by the bell. 10 minutes later he regained conciousness put his head through the ropes and as was his custom shouted.

"I'M JOE GRIM I FEAR NO MAN."

JAB5239
05-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Different reports varies, I've seen him listed as young as 7, a lot / most say 10 though so just went off that.

Six Heads Lewis was ahead on scorecards against Dolton when he quit because he had to take a ****.

Good stuff!

IronDanHamza
05-25-2011, 05:07 PM

And beat both.

Sadly. :sad2:

IronDanHamza
05-25-2011, 05:12 PM
The first Brothers to retain World titles on the same show were Rafael and Gabriel Ruelas in January 1995.

Both by stoppage.

NChristo
05-25-2011, 05:16 PM
The first Brothers to retain World titles on the same show were Rafael and Gabriel Ruelas in January 1995.

Both by stoppage.

On the same note, kind off, the first brothers to have titles in the same weight class at the same time are Gaby and Orlando Canizales.

IronDanHamza
05-25-2011, 05:25 PM
Saensak Muangsurin won the World Light Welterweight title in his Third Pro fight.

A feat I believe is a record.

New England
05-25-2011, 06:03 PM
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Nicolino Locches corner would poorly cover him between rounds whilst he was smoking.

LOL!

sticking with the argentinian motif,
oscar bonavena lived in whorehouses outside of reno nevada between certain bouts and short periods of his life
he was shot and killed at a reno whorehouse with a high powered rifle

Terry A
05-26-2011, 05:30 PM
Was looking for a video of Mitch Green & ran across this old video of "10 Best Press Conference Brawls". If any of you never seen it, it's pretty entertaining, especially w/ Don King providing the intros.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRBfZna8QlA&NR=1

The Smash
05-26-2011, 06:13 PM

Alexis Arguello once made Boza-Edwards **** himself with a body shot.

New England
05-26-2011, 06:43 PM
Alexis Arguello once made Boza-Edwards **** himself with a body shot.

lol!

that would be messy

MonsieurGeorges
05-27-2011, 05:54 AM
Benny Bass and Red Chapman floored eachother with right hands at the same time in the opening exchange of the ninth round during their title fight in 1927. this is the oldest "double-knockdown" i've heard about

RubenSonny
06-05-2011, 11:58 AM
Its a rumour but whatever....

Sadly, legend has it that President Ronald Reagan had a phone line installed in Cooney's dressing room, not to Holme's, for the traditional congratulatory call.

Source: Being Sugar Ray by Kenneth Shropshire.

TintaBoricua
06-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Alexis Arguello
Jack Britton
Pipino Cuevas
Henry Armstrong
Manuel Ortiz
Benny Leonard
Benny Lynch
Joe Brown
Billy Conn
Bernard Hopkins
Pone Kingpetch

HOF'ers that lost their very first pro fight.

*I counted Kingpetch because I avidly believe he should be in the HOF.

JMM should be in there (I'm sure he'll be in the HOF some day. Wilfredo Gómez got a draw in his first fight as well, but I don't know if that should be counted.

IronDanHamza
06-05-2011, 01:45 PM
Max Kellerman used to be a rapper. Him and his brother were called 'Sam & Max' or something ridiculous like that. Look it up on youtube. It's hilarious.

:lol1: :lol1:

IronDanHamza
06-05-2011, 01:48 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0uA8hcv1MzA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol1: Here's a classic 'Max and Sam' joint.

Monkz
06-05-2011, 01:52 PM
<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0uA8hcv1MzA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:lol1::lol1:

Max looks like Zelenoff.

JAB5239
06-05-2011, 02:12 PM

Dats that early 90's rap! I actually liked it, they weren't half bad considering..

IronDanHamza
06-05-2011, 02:21 PM
Dats that early 90's rap! I actually liked it, they weren't half bad considering..

I'm a huge huge fan of Old School Hip Hop believe it or not :lol1:

This isn't too bad compared to the sh*t we have on offer today.

JAB5239
06-05-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm a huge huge fan of Old School Hip Hop believe it or not :lol1:

This isn't too bad compared to the sh*t we have on offer today.

Lol, that not old school. This is old school!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4o8TeqKhgY

Barnburner
06-05-2011, 03:13 PM

You'll be a little upset to know Ice Cube stole the beat in his song Check Yourself.

IronDanHamza
06-05-2011, 03:32 PM

I generalise 'old school' to 80-'s 90-'s which is the pinnacle and peak of Hip Hop music IMO.

Can't beat abit of Flash, man.

NChristo
06-06-2011, 11:51 AM
Roberto Duran had a pet lion called Walla.

New England
06-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Roberto Duran had a pet lion called Walla.

i'm guessing between that between the two there was "mutual respect."

bwahaha

another duran fable:

when duran was young and in his prime he knocked a mule unconscious with one punch

Barnburner
06-06-2011, 04:17 PM

bwahaha

another duran fable:

when duran was young and in his prime he knocked a mule unconscious with one punch
Another one about Duran.

Duran was having sex with a prostitute and she was smoking marujana(although Duran wasn't he is strictly against drugs but, obviously has no problem with the drink, anyway) and when they hopped on the shagging wagon, the prozzy started panting heavily. Duran asked intently winking.

"Was it me or the drugs."... to his surprise he got the answer of:

"I have astuma".

Barnburner
06-06-2011, 04:20 PM

bwahaha

another duran fable:

SRL while working for HBO was given two tickets to Wimbledon, while there we would be interviewed and do a little commentry or something like that. Anyway whule drunk he gave his ticket to two prostitues, the HBO guys were unhappy when instead of Sugar Ray Leonard, they ended up with Sugar Chantelle and Marvelous Mandy. Some say this is what led to his sacking from HBO.

The Surgeon
06-06-2011, 04:21 PM

bwahaha

another duran fable:

My mate Tony Dropped a horse a few years ago

true stroy

The Surgeon
06-06-2011, 04:32 PM

OMFG!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

New England
06-06-2011, 04:44 PM
My mate Tony Dropped a horse a few years ago

true stroy

i would have promptly purchased that man a cold beverage

The Surgeon
06-06-2011, 04:57 PM
i would have promptly purchased that man a cold beverage

Lol he'd had quite a few by then as it goes....

New England
06-06-2011, 05:19 PM
Lol he'd had quite a few by then as it goes....

that would explain why he was coming to blows with horses

*Khan
06-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Adding to the list of fighters who lost their first fight would be Rafael Marquez. He lost to world champion Victor Rabanales by eight round TKO.

Pete Rademacher proffesional debut was against 32-1-0 Floyd Patterson. He lost by TKO in the 6th.

Mexican twins Raul "Rayito" and Ramon "Hirales" Garcia wrote history on Saturday, April 30, by becoming the first set of boxing twins to win world championship fights in the same card on the same night, and the second set of twins in history to be world champions at the same time.

Sugar Ray Leonard deeply considered quitting boxing after winning the Gold Medal.

The Surgeon
06-12-2011, 08:46 AM
Jermain Taylor dosnt even like boxing, from a spectators point of view.

IronDanHamza
06-12-2011, 09:20 AM
Marcio Antonio Barerra was orginally going to be a Lawyer.

New England
06-12-2011, 10:16 AM
Marcio Antonio Barerra was orginally going to be a Lawyer.

likewise with marquez and accounting!

i can see it now
he pounds a glass of warm urine and head's right back to crunching numbers

The Surgeon
06-12-2011, 12:53 PM
likewise with marquez and accounting!

i can see it now
he pounds a glass of warm urine and head's right back to crunching numbers

Lol funny stuff NE! :rofl:

Seriously tho MAB and JMM, whatever they could have done or might have done was never really an option those two were BORN to Fight!

The Surgeon
06-12-2011, 01:05 PM
Non UK fans might not get the refference but Carl Froch is known as "Rigsby" to his mates as he has alot of property he rents out. Rigsby was the name of the Landlord from the old comedy series Rising Damp!

NChristo
08-11-2011, 10:33 AM
Vicente Saldivar not unlike Henry Armstrong had a much slower heart rate then the average person. Which although attributed to his great work rate, ultimately also led to his early death.

Howard Winstone lost 3 fingers on his right hand after an accident working in a toy factory.

The Surgeon
08-11-2011, 02:08 PM
Vicente Saldivar not unlike Henry Armstrong had a much slower heart rate then the average person. Which although attributed to his great work rate, ultimately also led to his early death.

Howard Winstone lost 3 fingers on his right hand after an accident working in a toy factory. Is the Howard Winstone movie out yet? Heard something a while back about it in the paper...

GJC
08-11-2011, 02:24 PM
Loughran virtually fought one handed to protect his fragile hands

The Surgeon
08-11-2011, 02:27 PM
Loughran virtually fought one handed to protect his fragile hands

So does Paullie Mallinaggi tho im not for one second saying he's the same class a man who at a mere 19years old beat Harry Greb...

NChristo
08-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Is the Howard Winstone movie out yet? Heard something a while back about it in the paper...

Yeah came out last year, it's called Risen.
Only just found it myself, will have to get it, didn't think it was out yet.
Has Erik Morales in it apparently, guessing he's gonna be Saldivar.

The Surgeon
08-11-2011, 02:56 PM
Yeah came out last year, it's called Risen.
Only just found it myself, will have to get it, didn't think it was out yet.
Has Erik Morales in it apparently, guessing he's gonna be Saldivar.

Morales IS Saldivar. Im gonna get on the hunt when i get paid i think

Forza
08-11-2011, 03:28 PM
SRL, Tommy hearns and Marvin hagler once all fought on the same broadcast

Marciano had a 67 inch reach, shorter than most modern Light Weights

Duran, as crazy as he was, never touched drugs. He only drank. He was actually insulted about the story with the prostitute, not because he was cheating on his wife, but because her smoking marijuana was mentioned.

Hagler K.O'd Roy Jones Sr who was 13-1 at the time

Hagler got into boxing because he was bullied at a party. The bully was actually trained under the gym he joined. He ended up fighting the bully professionally twice, viciously K.Oing him the 2nd time.

Floyd Patterson once purposely lost an amateur fight because " the other boxer had a nice face and I didn't want to hurt him "

3 fighters mayweather Jr dominated in the ring are dead

Nigel benn tried to kill himself after he retired. He attached a garden hose to the muffler of his car and stuck it inside.

Forza
08-11-2011, 03:32 PM
Also the "foreman grill" was supposed to be the Hulk Hogan Grill but he didn't pick up the phone

The Surgeon
08-11-2011, 04:12 PM
Also the "foreman grill" was supposed to be the Hulk Hogan Grill but he didn't pick up the phone

I think he went with some lame ass protien shake instead and has been kicking himself ever since! lol

Hogans birthday today btw for all u Hulkamaniacs out there lol

My mate Kent asked his mum to pick him up a Foreman Grill and she came back with some nasty Lennox Lewis grill haha i didnt even know Lewis Had one out!

McGoorty
08-11-2011, 09:19 PM

One of Darcy's opponents, said fighting Les was like, "Fighting A GORILLA".// I alway's liked that one.

NChristo
10-05-2011, 07:01 PM
Bumpity

Charlie Chaplin was Ted Kid Lewis's son's god father.

Tommy Gibbons vs Jack Bloomfield was the first boxing event held at Wembley Stadium.

George Chuvalo had a bear 'mascot' that he would take for walks.

John Coker was forced too pull out of the British Commonwealth games because no gloves big enough for his hands could be found.

Turbo B
10-05-2011, 09:28 PM
Idi Amin was the LHW champion of Uganda.

Capaedia
10-06-2011, 03:17 AM
At a press conference for Hagler - Hearns, during Hearns' smack-talk Hagler stuffed napkins in his ears and told him he couldn't hear him.

Kid McCoy
10-06-2011, 09:57 AM
A CAT scan showed the lining of Marvin Hagler's skull is about half an inch thicker than the average man's.

Jake LaMotta once gave an opponent such a bad body beating that the guy started coughing up blood.

Battling Siki used to wander into Parisian bars with his pet leopard on a silver chain. According to Larry Gaines Siki would buy everyone in the bar drinks and when it came to paying the bill he'd ask the bartender: "do you believe in God?" When the bartender replied that he did, Siki said "then believe God will pay the bill" and walked out. He got away with it a few times, until one bartender pulled a shotgun on him and asked the same question. Complete nutter.

BennyST
10-06-2011, 11:59 AM
jmm............

He slipped my mind.

Ah, well. :lol1:

Both Rafa Marquez and Juan M. Marquez lost their first pro fights. The two boxing brothers are also married to two sisters....neither of them box though.

The Surgeon
10-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Battling Siki used to wander into Parisian bars with his pet leopard on a silver chain. According to Larry Gaines Siki would buy everyone in the bar drinks and when it came to paying the bill he'd ask the bartender: "do you believe in God?" When the bartender replied that he did, Siki said "then believe God will pay the bill" and walked out. He got away with it a few times, until one bartender pulled a shotgun on him and asked the same question. Complete nutter.

GangSta!!!

The Surgeon
10-06-2011, 02:50 PM
A Chinese man with a Team Tyson tattoo on his arm bumped into a member of Tyson's circle at a Tyson fight in Vegas and told him when asked about the tattoo that his grandmother had on her deathbed told him to follow Mike wherever

When told Tyson's reply was "What the **** was wrong with his grandmother!?"

ИATAS
10-06-2011, 07:37 PM
-(not sure if this one is true) Ever wonder why they call them boxing "rings", even though they are square? In Ancient Rome, boxing rules were introduced and competitors were required to remain within a circular ring drawn on the arena floor. They have been known as "rings" ever since.

-Ali called Leon Spinks Dracula after the first fight. In training camp for the second, Ali brought a Crucifix and said "the man is too ugly to wear my crown. He has no teeth!"
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c217/natas206/alidracula.jpg

-Pete Rademacher made his pro debut in a title bout

-the last time hopkins fought someone older than him was in 1998 (simon brown) [yeah I had to throw in a hopkins factoid :) ]

-Light heavyweight great Billy Conn was payed $2.50 for his first pro fight..... his manager took $2.00 of it because "You lost the fight, and besides you got to eat!"

-Speaking of Vampires. Anyone remember Vampire Johnson? He would come out to the ring in a coffin dressed in a complete Vampire outfit, cape and all.
http://www.examiner.com/images/blog/EXID21088/images/459px-Vampire.jpg

Kid McCoy
10-06-2011, 08:02 PM
Boxers who were never stopped in 100 or more fights:

Harry Stone (holds the record for something like 200 fights without a KO or TKO loss)
Panama Al Brown
Joe Lynch
Carlos Monzon
Mike Gibbons
Nel Tarleton
Gorilla Jones
Billy Graham
Kid Gavilan
Duilio Loi
Pete Sanstol
Pancho Villa
Pedro Carrasco

McGoorty
10-07-2011, 09:57 AM
That's pretty funny too!

Speaking of Archie, in one of his fights with Yvon Durelle, Moore was knocked down 4 times! When he went back to his corner, his manager Doc Kearns told Archie that his wife was afraid that he was getting killed & that, "to comfort her & to show her he was all right", he should wave at her. Arcie said he would be glad to be didn't know where she was. (She was sitting right behind Archie's corner). Doc told her she was sitting just behind Durelle's corner so hurry up & wave at her before the bell rings for the next round. Archie stood up and "waved at his wife" while looking over at Durelle's corner. Story goes that when Archie stood up and waved at him, Durelle thought Archie was mocking him & it so demoralized Durelle that he ended up losing the fight.
Yeah, I reckon that could be right, but who wouldn't be ??... Durelle had hit him with freakish bombs and when Moore went down he went down hard, but each time Moore got up. Archie Moore was so old, he once fought with Alcibiades during the Pelloponesian War, He was known then as Archimongoosebiades,.......and let me tell you, that was a long time ago. Incidentally it's one of my favourite fights.

NChristo
03-27-2012, 05:01 PM
Duran had a pet lion called Walla.
Bump.

NChristo
03-27-2012, 05:25 PM
March 27th Wilfredo Gomez and Jeff Chandler defended their titles both by KOs in the 6th round and both exactly 2:28 in.

Eder Jofre is the mayor of Sau Paulo and Alexis Arguello was the mayor of Managua.

Monzon had 60 KO's, none in the first round.

Georges Carpentier scored a KO in every weightclass form Flyweight too Heavyweight.

Only 2 World title bouts were fought in Africa pre Ali - Foreman, Sugar Ramos - Floyd Robinson in Ghana and Dick Tiger - Gene Fullmer in Nigeria