View Full Version : How long does Calzaghe last vs Benn

CarlosG815
05-24-2011, 09:06 PM
Nigel Benn one of the greatest and most exciting hardest hitting and quickest middleweights and super middleweights ever.

How many rounds before Nigel Benn KO's Joe Calzaghe?

Do you see Calzaghe winning this fight?

Please share your thoughts on this fight.

SCtrojansbaby
05-25-2011, 12:50 AM
Benn KOs Calslappy inside of 10 rounds

Scott9945
05-25-2011, 01:56 AM
I'd take Calzaghe by decision without any hesitation.

Wild Blue Yonda
05-25-2011, 02:10 AM
I'd take Calzaghe by decision without any hesitation.

As would I.

Benn wouldn't have the answers.

P.K
05-25-2011, 02:14 AM
As relentless as Benn was, he didn't like boxers IMO. Calzaghe can roll shots, move, has stamina, and a chin. Benn was a type of fighter that needed to break you down, and Calzaghe was a fighter who was tough, real tough.

Calzaghe would be happy to box for 12 all day long. Eubank, a prime one would give Calzaghe more problems.

Stallone60
05-25-2011, 04:47 AM
Benn is one of my fav boxers of all time. But i do think Calzaghe would win this matchup. Against a prime Benn i give calzaghe the UD.

Barn
05-25-2011, 05:26 AM
As would I.

Benn wouldn't have the answers.
I'm with you guys.

As much as I like him, I feel Benn gets over-rateed.

Joeyzagz
05-25-2011, 09:16 AM
Calzaghe UD 12.

Not really a tough fight to judge.

fitefanSHO
05-25-2011, 09:37 AM
Calzaghe outclasses Benn and beats him easily by UD. :boxing:

CarlosG815
05-25-2011, 10:12 AM
This is comical. A guy like Benn who has fought wars with Eubank and a drag out war with McClellan and always fought guys at the top of their game would get beat by "easy UD" by Joe Calzaghe who has beaten "who" again?

Come on guys. Anybody who says easy UD has got to be delusional. No question who the better fighter is in this matchup.

I'm shocked at some responses, but then again, not really. I am wondering which Calzaghe win or performance is leading you to believe this. Was it getting dropped and having a war with Roy Jones who was shot to pieces and had nothing left and was dismantled by Danny Green? Or was it his performances against washed up euro bums?

Benn's resume, record, and tape speaks for itself, as does Calzaghes. Calzaghe had done nothing throughout his career that shows he has the skills, heart, or chin to take on a beast like Nigel Benn.

CarlosG815
05-25-2011, 10:17 AM
Calzaghe outclasses Benn and beats him easily by UD. :boxing:

LOL, aren't you the guy that got owned in NSB when you claimed that Berto and Ortiz was a draw and you gave a joke of a breakdown? I remember partaking in that thread and asking myself "What fight was this guy watching?"

Now you are claiming an "easy UD" for Calzaghe, which is insulting to say that anybody would easily UD Benn that isn't Roy Jones Jr, and even then it wouldn't be "easy."

CarlosG815
05-25-2011, 10:21 AM
What an incredible fight.
<iframe width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Dc-G4KMOllU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

$BloodyNate$
05-25-2011, 10:32 AM
Benn obviously was in there with the tougher version of Eubanks then Calzaghe went against, which should be no surprise there. He also beat up Gimenez before Joe did. The one thing I really do give Joe a lot of credit for it his hand speed which gives fighters problems but that's because of volume, he sacrifices power for volume but their just slaps. If the hand speed was lop sided in favor of Joe I might favor him but Benn was a ****in wolf, only really lost to fighters who could hit just as hard as him. If you couldn't hurt him he would break him and brutally stop you.

Like I said I don't think Joe has the overwhelming hand speed advantage he's had in the past in a fight like this, and old Hopkins & Jones Jr were able to put him on his ass, once Benn lands Joe is going to sleep.

I'd say 6th round. Joe might be leading on the scorecards but once Nigel lands he's done.

fitefanSHO
05-25-2011, 10:53 AM
LOL, aren't you the guy that got owned in NSB when you claimed that Berto and Ortiz was a draw and you gave a joke of a breakdown? I remember partaking in that thread and asking myself "What fight was this guy watching?"

Now you are claiming an "easy UD" for Calzaghe, which is insulting to say that anybody would easily UD Benn that isn't Roy Jones Jr, and even then it wouldn't be "easy."

By posting this thread, you willfully elicited opinion.

Opinions that may be in contradiction to your own.

You have mine.

Calzaghe was a master boxer, Benn was a limited brawler.

Calzaghe > Benn

Calzaghe W-UD12 Benn (easily)

RichCCFC
05-25-2011, 10:55 AM
http://www.boxingscene.com/nigel-benn-calzaghe-beat-me-chris-eubank-roy-jones-jr--5820

+

***8220;***8220;Joe struggled against nobodies. But when he stepped up in class to fight the likes of Jeff Lacy, for instance, he made them look like nobodies. I***8217;d have loved him to have been around in my heyday. I***8217;ll be honest enough to admit I think he would have beaten me ***8212; he***8217;d have been in a fight though. Old timers will tell you he would never have lived with Roberto Duran, Sugar Ray Leonard, Marvin Hagler or Tommy ***8216;Hitman***8217; Hearns. I disagree ***8212; Joe would have beaten them all. How many fighters would love to finish with a record like Joe***8217;s? Outside of Wales I don***8217;t think he got the recognition he deserved. Forty six fights unbeaten is a heck of an achievement. I don***8217;t think we will ever see his like again."

Nigel Benn, February 2009

SirTomJones
05-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Prime Eubank would give Joe more problems than a prime Benn.

Those saying Joe easy UD have probably never watched much of Benn.
Those saying Benn KO have probably based it on the Hopkins and Jones Jr fights.

P.K
05-25-2011, 11:08 AM
Benn obviously was in there with the tougher version of Eubanks then Calzaghe went against, which should be no surprise there. He also beat up Gimenez before Joe did. The one thing I really do give Joe a lot of credit for it his hand speed which gives fighters problems but that's because of volume, he sacrifices power for volume but their just slaps. If the hand speed was lop sided in favor of Joe I might favor him but Benn was a ****in wolf, only really lost to fighters who could hit just as hard as him. If you couldn't hurt him he would break him and brutally stop you.

Like I said I don't think Joe has the overwhelming hand speed advantage he's had in the past in a fight like this, and old Hopkins & Jones Jr were able to put him on his ass, once Benn lands Joe is going to sleep.

I'd say 6th round. Joe might be leading on the scorecards but once Nigel lands he's done.

Benn had power, but he was not polished.

Sorry but Calzaghe got dropped by a damn forearm VS Roy.

Calzaghe has been dropped 5 times I believe, but he always got up. People don't know how much heart Joe has. His chin is strong.

Benn has lost to boxers himself. Someone called Michael Waton who trained 4 miles from me outboxed him. Indeed he went to the US to improve.

All I can say is, Benn is not KO'ing Calzaghe.

P.K
05-25-2011, 11:15 AM
This is comical. A guy like Benn who has fought wars with Eubank and a drag out war with McClellan and always fought guys at the top of their game would get beat by "easy UD" by Joe Calzaghe who has beaten "who" again?

Come on guys. Anybody who says easy UD has got to be delusional. No question who the better fighter is in this matchup.

I'm shocked at some responses, but then again, not really. I am wondering which Calzaghe win or performance is leading you to believe this. Was it getting dropped and having a war with Roy Jones who was shot to pieces and had nothing left and was dismantled by Danny Green? Or was it his performances against washed up euro bums?

Benn's resume, record, and tape speaks for itself, as does Calzaghes. Calzaghe had done nothing throughout his career that shows he has the skills, heart, or chin to take on a beast like Nigel Benn.

Dropped by Roy's forearm, and a war?

Joe won 11 rounds.

Sorry but Joe at that stage was out of prime himself.

Joe fought to the level of his opponents often.

I am a big Benn fan, my first fight ever was VS Mcclellan which got me into boxing (I was very young) and since I have watched numerous tapes (Yeah he's that old ) LOL.

Benn is one of my favourite fighters, he had power, speed, heart and listening to him in interviews, man he is intense.

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/nm-VQ82_Gko" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ObJTAiR5E8I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

However on style, Joe has a style that would give Benn a lot of problem. High workrate, movement and a chin.

Joeyzagz
05-25-2011, 11:59 AM
No fighter has ever made BHOP look as pedestrian and helpless as Calzaghe did. Calzaghe did better than Pascal, Tarver, Taylor, Pavlik, he was such a problem that Hopkins was faking low blows just to recover from the punishment.

ANd yes I do rank the 2008 BHOP over the 1993 BHOP that Jones beat. Hopkins was green, drained and hadnt started cycling steroids yet.

CarlosG815
05-25-2011, 12:15 PM
By posting this thread, you willfully elicited opinion.

Opinions that may be in contradiction to your own.

You have mine.

Calzaghe was a master boxer, Benn was a limited brawler.

Calzaghe > Benn

Calzaghe W-UD12 Benn (easily)

lmao! The bold is amusing.

I did elect opinion, just figure how much salt to take with yours, as it's obvious when you watch boxing something is not right, as was obvious in your scoring and breakdown of Berto vs Ortiz. I'll take one grain please.

CarlosG815
05-25-2011, 12:17 PM
No fighter has ever made BHOP look as pedestrian and helpless as Calzaghe did. Calzaghe did better than Pascal, Tarver, Taylor, Pavlik, he was such a problem that Hopkins was faking low blows just to recover from the punishment.

ANd yes I do rank the 2008 BHOP over the 1993 BHOP that Jones beat. Hopkins was green, drained and hadnt started cycling steroids yet.

The sad part about calzaghe is that he was both on steroids and cocaine yet was still never impressive and was given gift stoppages without throwing punches, and arguably lost to an old man in Bernard Hopkins and was dropped by shot to bits Roy Jones. Tell me who else could Roy Jones drop at that point? He could barely get a punch off and he was impossible to miss. He had no reflexes, no punch power, no handspeed, no defense, and he was brain damaged.

fitefanSHO
05-25-2011, 12:22 PM
The last decent punch Jones ever threw just made Joe mad. :boxing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1ojgBoGtx4&feature=player_embedded

studentofthegam
05-25-2011, 01:23 PM
Zags would get him in 12UD. Joe gets underrated all the time and I cant see why. Benn was way more fun to watch but not the better boxer of the two. Zags may have to survive a KD but he's done it before. I think he wins in comfort. 116-112

Joeyzagz
05-25-2011, 01:36 PM
The sad part about calzaghe is that he was both on steroids and cocaine yet was still never impressive and was given gift stoppages without throwing punches, and arguably lost to an old man in Bernard Hopkins and was dropped by shot to bits Roy Jones. Tell me who else could Roy Jones drop at that point? He could barely get a punch off and he was impossible to miss. He had no reflexes, no punch power, no handspeed, no defense, and he was brain damaged.

Calzaghe has never used performance enhancers and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. His body is all natural and he retired at the apt age of 37.

With Hopkins there are 3 glaring red flags:

1. He mysteriously improved his strength and stamina at an age where most boxers are on the decline. He is clearly stronger now than he was in 2004 against Jermaine Taylor. Unnatural... abnormal.

2. Around the same time of his sudden resurgence, he moved his training camps from Philadelphia to Florida which is the HGH capital of the world. Same place Evander was busted.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RimCrgoGssQ/S7fhrnOK3RI/AAAAAAAACS0/_cQs3n_XlOI/s400/Roy+Jones+Jr.+vs+Bernard+Hopkins+Live+Stream.jpg

3. His head is significantly bigger now than it was in the 1990's. Who's head grows past age 12? Hes Definitely on drugs.

JAB5239
05-25-2011, 02:15 PM

You're both making ridiculous claims of steroid use and neither of you have ANY proof, only speculation.

BattlingNelson
05-25-2011, 02:31 PM
Calzaghe wins quite easy. Benn was a banger with a porous defense and he had difficulties against Logan, who was a clubfighter, Piper, who was only known for being a member of MENSA and he was upset by Watson.

I'm certain that Benn would not tag the quick Calzaghe and that would be his only chance. Rather I see Joe winning an easy one-sided decision or late KO.

BattlingNelson
05-25-2011, 02:35 PM
What on earth makes you think that Joe was on PED's? What makes him more suspicious than anybody else?

And to your claim that old Jones cannot hurt anybody well if you watched Jones fight Lebedev you would have seen that an even older Jones had a cruiserweight with a great chin clearly hurt. There's an old saying that fits Jones very well: The first thing you lose is your punch resistance. The last thing you lose is your punch.

BattlingNelson
05-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Calzaghe has never used performance enhancers and there is no evidence to suggest otherwise. His body is all natural and he retired at the apt age of 37.

With Hopkins there are 3 glaring red flags:

1. He mysteriously improved his strength and stamina at an age where most boxers are on the decline. He is clearly stronger now than he was in 2004 against Jermaine Taylor. Unnatural... abnormal.

2. Around the same time of his sudden resurgence, he moved his training camps from Philadelphia to Florida which is the HGH capital of the world. Same place Evander was busted.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_RimCrgoGssQ/S7fhrnOK3RI/AAAAAAAACS0/_cQs3n_XlOI/s400/Roy+Jones+Jr.+vs+Bernard+Hopkins+Live+Stream.jpg

3. His head is significantly bigger now than it was in the 1990's. Who's head grows past age 12? Hes Definitely on drugs.
So Florida is the HGH capitol of the world. What makes you say that?

RubenSonny
05-25-2011, 02:59 PM
Lebedev is a piece of crap along with the rest of the cruiserweight division.

Calzaghe was also dropped by Salem, Mitchell and Hopkins, his chin gets highly overrated on these boards.

P.K
05-25-2011, 03:43 PM
Lebedev is a piece of crap along with the rest of the cruiserweight division.

Calzaghe was also dropped by Salem, Mitchell and Hopkins, his chin gets highly overrated on these boards.

Getting dropped and getting up is not the same as:

Getting dropped and staying dropped.

Calzaghe has a solid chin, and was never that badly hurt, maybe by Byron Mitchell.

P.K
05-25-2011, 03:44 PM
Carlos won't reply to true statements. Ban him from this section, he is a troll.

P.K
05-25-2011, 03:46 PM
Benn was not a brawler though, he was open at times, but he had good body movement and used feints etc... he would bob and weave, post Watson he was much improved.

He was not just a brawler, but a man with good skills, heart and extreme power.

In fact someone I met so him at Ministry of Sound ocne clubbing, and they shadow boxed and Benn had unreal handspeed in real life. Just goes to show that boxers are real fast.

RubenSonny
05-25-2011, 03:54 PM
Joes chin was average, Benn was a bigger puncher than everyone who dropped Joe. I think he has a better chance to stop him, than some are making out.

Steak
05-25-2011, 04:07 PM
Calzaghe's chin is overrated, but his stamina is not. This just might look like Benn-Watson, although its more likely Calzaghe swamps him with activity late and wins a decision, while having some trouble in the middleish early rounds.

CarlosG815
05-25-2011, 05:39 PM
You're both making ridiculous claims of steroid use and neither of you have ANY proof, only speculation.

You are right Jab, I only said that because he so blatantly threw out that Hopkins was on PED's without a shred of evidence, so I made the same claim just so that he would react to it and show us all his ass again, which he did in his next post in which he shows "evidence" of Hopkins' PED use.

CarlosG815
05-25-2011, 05:45 PM
Carlos won't reply to true statements. Ban him from this section, he is a troll.

What true statements have been made? All I have read is nonsense and buffoonery.

"Calzaghe would win easy UD."

"Benn is just a brawler."

"Calzaghe got dropped by a forearm." (it was a clear as day right hand)

"Roy Jones still had something in the tank."

"2004 Bernard was better than 1994 Bernard."

This is all nonsense. The fact is that Benn was the better fighter all around. Joe seemed like he had fast hands, but he had nothing behind those punches. Roy Jones had true handspeed because his flurries actually hurt and were effective whereas Joe's were just distractions that got him some bogus stoppages. No doubt that many boxers could punch like that with the same speed if they used the same technique and with no power behind each punch, but the problem is, you're not gonna be a world beater fighting like that, and that is why Joe was NEVER A WORLD BEATER!

He beat a bunch of shot past prime fighters who were BIG NAME GUYS in the early and mid nineties, and were sliding in early 2000's, then SHOT on fight night with Joe.

Nigel Benn had as much speed, but threw more effective and harder combinations. His bob and weave "hands up" style was very effective, and he did very well at keeping himself low, ala Marciano, and made himself a difficult target to hit right on the chin.

His resume is full of top fighters at the top of their game and he performed like a warrior in them all.

As far as I'm concerned, Benn has every advantage over Calzaghe aside from reflexes, as Joe did have a good set of reflexes, but that was most likely the cocaine so who knows when he was coked up and when he wasn't? The fact is this: Calzaghe never beat guys in their prime, and he was a cokehead which we all know is an edge in a fight.

Scott9945
05-25-2011, 08:28 PM

I don't need to use their records to validate my point. I've seen them both fight, and Joe was better. Benn had an exciting style and a fun personality, but his rings skills simply don't equal Calzaghe's. And I don't know when Joe ever showed the lack of skills, heart, or chin to make him vulnerable to the perpetually overrated Nigel Benn.

$BloodyNate$
05-25-2011, 09:45 PM
My question is who has Calzaghe ever fault like Nigel Benn? Somebody with good speed to match their devastating power? He's 10x the fighter Jeff Lacey is and that's Joe's best win. Lacey has good power but he didn't have speed like Benn because benn came up from middleweight.

Like I said, Benn only really loses by KO to somebody that can give it to him just as bad as he can give it to them. Calzaghe can't hurt him with those slaps.

New England
05-25-2011, 10:28 PM
Joes chin was average, Benn was a bigger puncher than everyone who dropped Joe. I think he has a better chance to stop him, than some are making out.

this is what is wearing on me

benn really was was a big puncher and calzaghe had a tendency to get hit early when he stepped up in comp.

kessler got in some decent work early, and roy and bernard both dropped joe in the very first round if i'm remembering correctly
and they were clean punches and real knockdowns

none of those guys (even roy, given his complete shottedness,) could crack like benn
calzaghe fought with his hands down as low as his damn knees

i'm giving benn a much better chance than most of making a good fight of it, and probably hurting joe at least once and perhaps even getting him out of there.

but i'm still picking calzaghe to win a decision
he could do more, he was a bit bigger and longer

he basically does everything but punch better

i think by the end of the fight joe would have him figured out enough to have pulled out a decision in a good fight

the limeys would be off the walls!

studentofthegam
05-26-2011, 12:29 PM
My question is who has Calzaghe ever fault like Nigel Benn? Somebody with good speed to match their devastating power? He's 10x the fighter Jeff Lacey is and that's Joe's best win. Lacey has good power but he didn't have speed like Benn because benn came up from middleweight.

Like I said, Benn only really loses by KO to somebody that can give it to him just as bad as he can give it to them. Calzaghe can't hurt him with those slaps.Kessler was his best win.

Joeyzagz
05-26-2011, 05:16 PM
This troll thread backfired badly on Carlos. No one with two eyes and a brain thinks Benn could beat a smart, fast fighter like Calzaghe.

Benn is a 1 dimensional like every other shthead that Carlos supports. Benn failed every single time he stepped up to an elite level. Much like Dempsey v Tunney, or Tyson v Holyfield. Exciting does not = skilled

Ziggy Stardust
05-26-2011, 08:38 PM
This troll thread backfired badly on Carlos. No one with two eyes and a brain thinks Benn could beat a smart, fast fighter like Calzaghe.

Benn is a 1 dimensional like every other shthead that Carlos supports. Benn failed every single time he stepped up to an elite level. Much like Dempsey v Tunney, or Tyson v Holyfield. Exciting does not = skilled you fvcking retard.

At least Benn stepped up to an elite level: Calzaghe never did. Losing to a prime Chris Eubank is hardly a strike against Benn: A prime Eubank beats Calslapzy too.

Poet

Joeyzagz
05-26-2011, 09:11 PM
At least Benn stepped up to an elite level: Calzaghe never did. Losing to a prime Chris Eubank is hardly a strike against Benn: A prime Eubank beats Calslapzy too.

Poet

BHop's not elite? lol Ok mate. Ill pick your non-elite Bhop over Benn as well.

Ziggy Stardust
05-26-2011, 09:24 PM
BHop's not elite? lol Ok mate. Ill pick your non-elite Bhop over Benn as well.

A well past-it old man B-Hop that needs to be carefully matched to win. A prime B-Hop doesn't lose twice to Jermaine Fvcking Taylor by being outworked by a dude with known stamina issues. A prime B-Hop embarrases Calslapzy. This goes right back to Calslapzy not fighting anyone worth a sh1t until they were geriatrics.

Poet

fitefanSHO
05-27-2011, 11:14 AM

Benn is a 1 dimensional like every other shthead that Carlos supports. Benn failed every single time he stepped up to an elite level. Much like Dempsey v Tunney, or Tyson v Holyfield. Exciting does not = skilled

Post of the year, lol...

:banana: :banana: :banana: :banana:

CarlosG815
05-27-2011, 01:57 PM
A well past-it old man B-Hop that needs to be carefully matched to win. A prime B-Hop doesn't lose twice to Jermaine Fvcking Taylor by being outworked by a dude with known stamina issues. A prime B-Hop embarrases Calslapzy. This goes right back to Calslapzy not fighting anyone worth a sh1t until they were geriatrics.

Poet

Exactly, which is why I think a prime Nigel Benn would have zero trouble KO'ing a guy like Calzaghe who has absolutely no power and has never stepped up in class to deserve being rated over Benn, who has fought top competition in their prime, something Calzaghe NEVER did.

Joe Calzaghe has some handspeed but that's not going to be enough to beat Nigel Benn. You need power and Slappy just didn't have it. Benn by KO.