View Full Version : If Shavers had a better chin...

Pastrano
05-23-2011, 11:58 AM
...and stamina, I think he'd stop both Ali and Holmes. I think his stamina was ok, but not great. Against Lyle he was ahead early and dropped him, then he got bombed out in the 6th. Holmes he had hurt in the second fight but he ultimately punched himself out and was stopped late. Against Ali he was doing well, until the last couple rounds when he gassed.

However, did he possess enough skill to be a good champion and really make an impact?? Thats the question. But with his power, he didn't need to. He bombed out Norton in 1 round, even tho that was a past prime-Norton. Norton was one of the best boxers, BOXERS, of the hw division in the 70's.

Barn
05-23-2011, 12:02 PM
It wouldn't matter, he was way too crude.

Anyway Foreman with speed beats him.

Pastrano
05-23-2011, 12:07 PM
It wouldn't matter, he was way too crude.

Anyway Foreman with speed beats him.

Yes, but thats because that would be a MONSTER Foreman!:lol1: And thats one reason he never fought Shavers, he knew he didn't have the speed or the technique to beat him. He'd get an ugly beating like against Alex Stewart.

BigStereotype
05-23-2011, 12:12 PM
Yes, but thats because that would be a MONSTER Foreman!:lol1: And thats one reason he never fought Shavers, he knew he didn't have the speed or the technique to beat him. He'd get an ugly beating like against Alex Stewart.

It would be a war for as long as it lasted. Shavers might put Foreman in the hospital. But Big George WOULD put Shavers in the mortuary. Earnie didn't have the jaw to deal with a mighty puncher like George.

As far as if Earnie had a better chin and stamina...I don't know, I don't like to hypothesize about how that would change his style, but he certainly would have been impressive.

Barn
05-23-2011, 12:14 PM
It would be a war for as long as it lasted. Shavers might put Foreman in the hospital. But Big George WOULD put Shavers in the mortuary. Earnie didn't have the jaw to deal with a mighty puncher like George.

As far as if Earnie had a better chin and stamina...I don't know, I don't like to hypothesize about how that would change his style, but he certainly would have been impressive.
No way he's not technically proficient enough to be anyone of note, even with these extra advantages. In my opinion.

Pastrano
05-23-2011, 12:15 PM

Nice av, I too dig Emilia.:luvbed: Well, you got a point there. Shavers sure had a touchy jaw, Quarry put him away in one round and Quarry was not as big puncher as Foreman or Lyle. He also lost to a few other guys that he shouldn't have because they cracked his jaw too easily. But Foreman was kinda clumsy, so it would take him some time to find and land the right punch and by that time Shavers could put him away.

Barn
05-23-2011, 12:27 PM
Nice av, I too dig Emilia.:luvbed: Well, you got a point there. Shavers sure had a touchy jaw, Quarry put him away in one round and Quarry was not as big puncher as Foreman or Lyle. He also lost to a few other guys that he shouldn't have because they cracked his jaw too easily. But Foreman was kinda clumsy, so it would take him some time to find and land the right punch and by that time Shavers could put him away.

When you take into account the defensive qualities Shavers posessed his smarts and IQ, his cat like headmovement and iron blocking I agree 100%.

nomadman
05-23-2011, 07:28 PM
Shavers with a chin... that's just Samuel Peter isn't it?

Barn
05-23-2011, 07:35 PM
Shavers with a chin... that's just Samuel Peter isn't it?
errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no.

JAB5239
05-23-2011, 08:14 PM
He's missing the same things that were pointed out to me when I started a similar thread on Morrison.....defense and stamina. Without those its tough to get to the top, even with power like that.

nomadman
05-23-2011, 08:34 PM
He's missing the same things that were pointed out to me when I started a similar thread on Morrison.....defense and stamina. Without those its tough to get to the top, even with power like that.

But Morrison at least had some boxing ability, and an ability to get on his bike when he had to, as he did against Foreman. Shavers was as crude as they come, and seemed to have little to no ability to pace himself for the later rounds. He'd just throw bombs at you until you were either on the canvas, or he was sucking wind. An exaggeration, but the general pattern of his fights is shockingly similar. Whilst Morrison is built on similarly shaky foundations, I think there's more to work with there.

errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr no.

David Tua then.

fitefanSHO
05-23-2011, 08:37 PM
If Shavers had a better chin, he'd have been George Foreman. :boxing:

Wild Blue Yonda
05-23-2011, 10:09 PM
...and stamina, I think he'd stop both Ali and Holmes. I think his stamina was ok, but not great. Against Lyle he was ahead early and dropped him, then he got bombed out in the 6th. Holmes he had hurt in the second fight but he ultimately punched himself out and was stopped late. Against Ali he was doing well, until the last couple rounds when he gassed.

However, did he possess enough skill to be a good champion and really make an impact?? Thats the question. But with his power, he didn't need to. He bombed out Norton in 1 round, even tho that was a past prime-Norton. Norton was one of the best boxers, BOXERS, of the hw division in the 70's.

He lacked a lot more than endurance & chin. However, he was definitely fatigued when he dropped Holmes so heavily, & that played a part in his inability to close the show.

Had he won the belt then & there, there would have been an immediate rematch, & Holmes would've done Shavers in as a champion instantly, IMO. Shavers wanted for many attributes, & is all-round over-rated in my view.

DarkTerror88
05-23-2011, 11:16 PM
against guys with good chins/ existent defenses/heart he would always come up short. He might hit harder than say, Louis or Frazier. But he couldn't finish like they could. Honestly though i freakin love Ernie.